• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Exactly! Give it to Retro.
I would love that but be cautious at the same time. I gotta see how Prime 4 turns out first. Retro hasnt made a bad game yet but obviously without strict Nintendo guidance they are kinda hopeless. We still have no idea what Retro was working on inbetween Tropical Freeze wrapped in late 2013 until they restarted Prime 4 development in early 2018. Thats 5 years of nothing to show. Not to mention we know how Retro kinda fails without Nintendo's strict supervision (Raven Blade, the NFL game, the recent Shiek and Boo games they were working on).

So we get stuck with a weird conundrum where if Nintendo says "Make a Star Fox game with us" we will probably get an amazing game but will probably lack Krystal and any game mechanics/ideas and characters post 64. The same way Miyamoto and Tanabe shot down the idea of K.Rool/Kremlings returning in both DKC games. Also the weird lack of animal buddies.

Or if Nintendo isnt fully involved and tells Retro "Revive one of our old IP's" and they choose Star Fox and try and do it on their own I doubt it will see the light of day OR be in development hell for years. Retro is a talented studio but I believe they only are when Nintendo holds a fire under their asses. Still salty we could've had a 3rd and final DKC game from Retro by now but instead we ended up with no game from Retro for 5 years other than a Switch port with nothing but an easy mode..

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So we get stuck with a weird conundrum where if Nintendo says "Make a Star Fox game with us" we will probably get an amazing game but will probably lack Krystal and any game mechanics/ideas and characters post 64. The same way Miyamoto and Tanabe shot down the idea of K.Rool/Kremlings returning in both DKC games. Also the weird lack of animal buddies.
I'm not going to say it's a guarantee for certain Krystal will return if Retro makes it because of Miyamoto, but the Krystal Assist Trophy gives me some hope for her to return to the franchise in the future as well as her future inclusion in the Smash roster. Her Assist Trophy shows she did well in the Smash Ballot and shows she is still quite popular.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
After rewatching some players reactions to Terry I had a thought. Do you think they'll add some kind of unique gimmick to her?

It makes sense if they did, as it adds hype to characters and boosts sales even more. I'm not saying gimmicks are bad either, but having a dlc character not add much of anything new doesn't sound like Sakurai.

An Arms character will definitely have something unique, so I'm guessing the rest will. I'm thinking something along the lines of her magic or psychic power.

Being bored with nothing coming out soon makes your mind wander.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
After rewatching some players reactions to Terry I had a thought. Do you think they'll add some kind of unique gimmick to her?

It makes sense if they did, as it adds hype to characters and boosts sales even more. I'm not saying gimmicks are bad either, but having a dlc character not add much of anything new doesn't sound like Sakurai.

An Arms character will definitely have something unique, so I'm guessing the rest will. I'm thinking something along the lines of her magic or psychic power.

Being bored with nothing coming out soon makes your mind wander.
Maybe she could have a counter where she knows where the opponent is going to strike next and attacks where they don't expect her to since she can read other peoples minds if I'm not mistaken. A telekinesis counter would be awesome for Krystal.

Plus a energy barrier absorbtion staff move similar to the Mother bois would be nice as well.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Maybe she could have a counter where she knows where the opponent is going to strike next and attacks where they don't expect her to since she can read other peoples minds if I'm not mistaken. A telekinesis counter would be awesome for Krystal.

Plus a energy barrier absorbtion staff move similar to the Mother bois would be nice as well.
I had almost that same idea earlier in this thread regarding her being psychic lol. What if she gained auto-dodge for a short time after a counter? You can't be hit for the buff duration but it plays a dodge animation preventing attacks.

Would be good without being broken. And yeah, I was thinking of Dragon Ball/The Matrix with that one. It would just look too cool.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I had almost that same idea earlier in this thread regarding her being psychic lol. What if she gained auto-dodge for a short time after a counter? You can't be hit for the buff duration but it plays a dodge animation preventing attacks.

Would be good without being broken. And yeah, I was thinking of Dragon Ball/The Matrix with that one. It would just look too cool.
Auto dodge would be cool.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Paper Mario made a comeback from a WiiU game that sold as well as hand warmers in Vesuvius so there's hope for Star Fox yet.

Also looks like they're trying to take on some feedback by having a new villain so maybe SF64 won't get remade yet a-freakin'-gain.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looks like we will get the results of Source Gaming's big character poll soon:
https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1270430718770978818
I wonder how well Krystal placed. Just checked and in their poll last year she was 105 out of 718 characters.
Not bad at all, but I have a feeling she did better this time, will be interesting to see!
Depends on when polling started. Before the ARMS reveal, not so much. After the ARMS reveal, she may rise up a lot.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Looks like we will get the results of Source Gaming's big character poll soon:
https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1270430718770978818
I wonder how well Krystal placed. Just checked and in their poll last year she was 105 out of 718 characters.
Not bad at all, but I have a feeling she did better this time, will be interesting to see!
I still think she should be a lot higher though like in the top 20 or 30 at least dispute her being a Assist Trophy.

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
Depends on when polling started. Before the ARMS reveal, not so much. After the ARMS reveal, she may rise up a lot.
Their poll finished in March before the ARMS reveal unfortunately

I still think she should be a lot higher though like in the top 20 or 30 at least dispute her being a Assist Trophy.
That would be nice to see. Looking at the previous poll people seem much more focused on 3rd party characters. Maybe since the fighters pass was so 3rd party heavy there will be more votes for 1st party characters like Krystal this time

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
Was beyond happy when that jiggy appeared and the duo soon afterwards. That's another plus for Krystal in polls though come to think of it. Now that Banjo & Kazooie are in, Rare fans will likely be voting for Dixie, Conker and Krystal. In the Source Gaming poll last year Banjo-Kazooie got 1st place, so that's a lot of potential votes for Krystal this year

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Was beyond happy when that jiggy appeared and the duo soon afterwards. That's another plus for Krystal in polls though come to think of it. Now that Banjo & Kazooie are in, Rare fans will likely be voting for Dixie, Conker and Krystal. In the Source Gaming poll last year Banjo-Kazooie got 1st place, so that's a lot of potential votes for Krystal this year
Now that the kroc and the bear and bird are in, I believe our only competition is Dixie Kong if anybody in terms of the Rare characters. I want them both, but if I could only choose one it would be Krystal. She is in the same boat that K. Rool was in before he got in. She needs to become relevant in her own franchise again or become playable in Smash.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly, I feel like more K. Rool/Banjo fans have moved on over to Crash than Dixie or Krystal.

I imagine the increased focus on third parties for this game's DLC hasn't exactly helped in that regard.

Last edited:

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Now that the kroc and the bear and bird are in, I believe our only competition is Dixie Kong if anybody in terms of the Rare characters. I want them both, but if I could only choose one it would be Krystal. She is in the same boat that K. Rool was in before he got in. She needs to become relevant in her own franchise again or become playable in Smash.
Being in smash is probably the best thing that could happen for her. Being immortalized as a character would do wonders even if she doesn't appear again in Star Fox itself.
Honestly, I feel like more K. Rool/Banjo fans have moved on over to Crash than Dixie or Krystal.

I imagine the increased focus on third parties for this game's DLC hasn't exactly helped in that regard.
The silence and uncertainty is brutal. It feels like the time I was waiting for Wolf to return in 4. #wolftrauma

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I already know that I was just talking about in terms of the Rare characters Dixie Kong is our only competition.

Jolumas

Smash Rookie

Yeah Crash seems to have had more support as well since Banjo-Kazooie got in, likely from people wanting all their 90s characters in.

Hopefully since this fighters pass has 1 more character than the last there will be at least 2 1st party characters this time so we can have another after the ARMS challenger pack. Will be interesting to see if the 1st to 3rd party ratio changes at all in this Source Gaming poll as well

I already know that I was just talking about in terms of the Rare characters Dixie Kong is our only competition.
Looking at polls, Conker is definitely up there with Krystal in terms of how many fans want him in the game. I agree that he probably isn't competition to her though, simply because Nintendo refused to publish his game originally and there are more requested Microsoft picks

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Was beyond happy when that jiggy appeared and the duo soon afterwards. That's another plus for Krystal in polls though come to think of it. Now that Banjo & Kazooie are in, Rare fans will likely be voting for Dixie, Conker and Krystal.
And everybody forgets about Joanna Dark... :(

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It seems that most of the support threads are made by a few people. Look at my sig if you don't believe me.

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
And everybody forgets about Joanna Dark... :(
If its any consolation I'd like to see Joanna Dark get in Smash too, or more Perfect Dark in general really! Just didn't think she's as highly requested as Krystal, Dixie and Conker so didn't mention her, Fulgore or other Rare characters

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think I would be fine with any Perfect Dark content in Smash even a Mii costume. Though best scenario would be if Joanna becomes playable.

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
Hey all. Finally confirmation of when we'll see the ARMS character! Personal hope is that Spring Man gets in (as part of a multi character option) so that we get more discussion around assists like Krystal getting promoted
https://twitter.com/MrNantendo/status/1273980333558554636
Nice to also have confirmation from Source Gaming's NantanJex that their poll results video will be up very soon so we can see where Krystal and everyone else placed

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey all. Finally confirmation of when we'll see the ARMS character! Personal hope is that Spring Man gets in (as part of a multi character option) so that we get more discussion around assists like Krystal getting promoted
https://twitter.com/MrNantendo/status/1273980333558554636
Nice to also have confirmation from Source Gaming's NantanJex that their poll results video will be up very soon so we can see where Krystal and everyone else placed
Krystal is my 2nd most wanted character. But even if Assist Trophy promotions happen, I don't see her being one of them. I think the SUPER popular characters like Waluigi and Isaac will get those promotions if anybody.

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
Krystal is my 2nd most wanted character.
Krystal is my most wanted 1st party character, other than maybe Micaiah, but I shudder to think about the understandable backlash if another Fire Emblem character got in through DLC, so Krystal is my most wanted by default! From your profile picture I'm guessing Geno is your most wanted?
But even if Assist Trophy promotions happen, I don't see her being one of them. I think the SUPER popular characters like Waluigi and Isaac will get those promotions if anybody.
Yeah I think Waluigi and Isaac would get prioritised over Krystal too, but at the very least it would get people requesting more assist promotions and she would get a little more visibility

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
This feels like the end to a century long war. This is the moment of truth for the assist trophy alliance.

Maybe a bit overdramatic, but this is a pivotal point for all AT characters. If anything it mostly makes me nervous, but there's no way off the train now.

Time to see where this ends up.

If it isn't Spring Man, this would cause a major blow to everyone's morale. Im worried for my picks of Krystal and Tiki.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
From your profile picture I'm guessing Geno is your most wanted?
No. Actually, Goemon from the Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja series is my most wanted. I use to consider him a pipedream but he got a Mii costume in Banjo & Kazooie's pack so he somewhat has a legitimate chance for the future now. The Goemon series has only gotten 4 games released in the west while over 30 games never left the land of the rising sun. It's one of Konami's oldest franchises and it's pretty popular in Japan. Very obscure in the west though.

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
If it’s Springman, I could see This set if it’s an assist upgrades pack
Springman
Shadow
Isaac
Krystal
Skull kid
Waluigi

Lenidem

Smash Lord
That's only if we get Assist Trophy pack which I see as VERY unlikely. Plus I believe Bomberman should be one of the six promoted.
Yeah. I'm sorry for the Sonic fans, but it seems doomed to Sonic-and-no-one-else, so let's get Bomberman instead of Shadow and the pack would be awesome.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah. I'm sorry for the Sonic fans, but it seems doomed to Sonic-and-no-one-else, so let's get Bomberman instead of Shadow and the pack would be awesome.
Agreed. Nothing against Shadow, but someone else like Bomberman or Shovel Knight should take his place. Plus I prefer Metal Sonic, Knuckles, Eggman, or Tails over Shadow if we are getting a 2nd Sonic rep.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I'mma make a bold prediction and say Waluigi won't be playable in any Smash game ever for the simple fact that never getting his chance in the spotlight is a central part of who he is.

Top Bottom