• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
And if not Spring-Man, the argument that the character has the be the main character or otherwise the face of the game.
I didn't think that as a rule to begin with, but statistically there's a 1/15 chance it's Spring Man, technically 1/17 if you count Hedlok and Biff as being eligible, so his likelihood is at an all-time low currently. Time will tell whether those odds can be beaten.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I didn't think that as a rule to begin with, but statistically there's a 1/15 chance it's Spring Man, technically 1/17 if you count Hedlok and Biff as being eligible, so his likelihood is at an all-time low currently. Time will tell whether those odds can be beaten.
It's a fan rule alright. At least in our little bubble, intresting characters get more support than main characters but main characters are the ones that end up getting in.

Villager over Tom Nook and K.K. Slider (this was before Isabelle)
Ryu over other Street Fighters
Terry over other SNK characters
Byleth over Edlegarde, Dimitri and Claude.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If it is Spring Man is getting promoted, the main thing we'll have to wait and see if what will happen to his assist trophy. It's not tied into any spirit battles (even his own) so it could be straight up removed, they could have it so that the Spring Man Assist Trophy doesn't appear when the character is on stage or they could replace his assist trophy's model with that of Springtron.

If it's the third option, then that dramatically cuts down on the number of ATs that can make the jump. Krystal doesn't have any neat and tidy counterpart that would replace her.
Robin's Final Smash with Chrom in it from Smash 4 is still in Ultimate even after Chrom became a playable character so I could see playable Sping Man and Assist Trophy Spring Man co existing with each other in the game.

And if not Spring-Man, the argument that the character has the be the main character or otherwise the face of the game.
I thought that was only a 3rd party thing where only the protagonist can get in.

Also happy 60 pages fellow Krystal fans. Let's keep building Krystalization until our gal is in. ;)

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Robin's Final Smash with Chrom in it from Smash 4 is still in Ultimate even after Chrom became a playable character so I could see playable Sping Man and Assist Trophy Spring Man co existing with each other in the game.

I thought that was only a 3rd party thing where only the protagonist can get in.

Also happy 60 pages fellow Krystal fans. Let's keep building Krystalization until our gal is in. ;)
I think Chrom's situation is more of a side effect of the Fighters being carried over from SSB4 to Ultimate. Don't think it means much for the bigger picture.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think Chrom's situation is more of a side effect of the Fighters being carried over from SSB4 to Ultimate. Don't think it means much for the bigger picture.
Still a character can be both Assist Trophy and playable character though. There is no such thing as a rule that says it can't happen.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Still a character can be both Assist Trophy and playable character though. There is no such thing as a rule that says it can't happen.
That's not entirely accurate. We have examples from previous games that show Assists being purposefully avoided and added in the next game. Charizard, Dark Samus, Isabelle and Little Mac come to mind. Point being we have more of a precedent for the contrary than what you're suggesting.

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone! Been ages, hope you're all well!

Exciting to see that the next newcomer in the second DLC pack will be a Nintendo rep, is it correct that Nintendo has chosen all of this pack's characters? I swear Sakura has gone on record saying that? Regardless I'm not sure how likely Krystal's inclusion would be unless there is a Star Fox game featuring her coming out (brand new or remastered) to tie it's release with. I'd like to stay hopeful though, they know she's a popular choice so that's important!

Also, I really think Sakurai/Nintendo can choose whatever character they want to be added as a new playable character, despite if they are already an assist trophy/spirit or not. They could literally take the assist trophy out or do anything they want. Point is, if they want a specific character playable then they'll make it work, it's their game after all.

Stay safe guys! :)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
I've seen things about it, it's a really cool idea but at this point I feel like Star Fox really needs a new game (that does well) featuring Krystal to really help her chances of ever being playable in Smash.
I think Krystal fans specifically all around the internet should band together to create a vocal and enthusiastic community promoting Krystal's relevance and appeal to Nintendo (and on-lookers). Similar to what K Rool fans were doing a little while ago! Krystal still has so many fans it's crazy, the problem is that they aren't vocal enough about it to Nintendo. If all of Krystal's fans continued to post about her, draw fan-art, etc and Nintendo was able to see that (by @ing them) then I really feel like Krystal's return will be inevitable.

I saw the Krystal artbook that was organized and sent to Nintendo a while ago, THAT was a really great idea. If we can grow that vocal community and continue expressing our support for Krystal online as well as directly to Nintendo - I feel like that is the most effective direction going forward personally! :)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've seen things about it, it's a really cool idea but at this point I feel like Star Fox really needs a new game (that does well) featuring Krystal to really help her chances of ever being playable in Smash.
I think Krystal fans specifically all around the internet should band together to create a vocal and enthusiastic community promoting Krystal's relevance and appeal to Nintendo (and on-lookers). Similar to what K Rool fans were doing a little while ago! Krystal still has so many fans it's crazy, the problem is that they aren't vocal enough about it to Nintendo. If all of Krystal's fans continued to post about her, draw fan-art, etc and Nintendo was able to see that (by @ing them) then I really feel like Krystal's return will be inevitable.

I saw the Krystal artbook that was organized and sent to Nintendo a while ago, THAT was a really great idea. If we can grow that vocal community and continue expressing our support for Krystal online as well as directly to Nintendo - I feel like that is the most effective direction going forward personally! :)
I absolutely agree jordansweeto jordansweeto we all need to band together if we are to ever get Krystal in the roster.

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
Speaking of banding together, there's another opportunity to vote for and talk about Krystal on YouTube for the Smash Bros DLC tournament being run by Slackerz. Krystal was talked about in a video yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w1XNFwXl6U
She managed to get more votes than Lara Croft last time and is still in the winners bracket after 4 wins, which is a pleasant surprise, but now she's up against Shantae. Those videos might not get a huge amount of views, but the longer she stays in the tournament the more videos she will headline which can't hurt

On a side note, today it's been a month since Source Gaming's big smash poll ended. I wonder how well Krystal did and when we will get the results

Last edited:

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
RIP Rick May

Krystal is in two videos right now where she could use some votes. That's because Slackerz has started a second tournament exclusively for characters who are assist trophies, mii costumes or spirits to see who the community want upgraded. Funny thing is she's up against Sonic characters in both them.

She lost to Shantae last round, but she had a lot more votes than usual so still a victory for our vixen! She's in the loser bracket now against against Tails: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZRh02-l9e4

In this new upgrade tournament she's started against Eggman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfyOks3hvGk

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So does anybody know the name of the guy who runs Krystal Achieve? I was thinking we should try to contact him to join us on Smashboards for Krystal's sake. He could help us spread awareness of her history in the Star Fox franchise and Dinosaur Planet's history within Rare. He could help us make Krystal popular again like how she was during Brawl speculation.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
So does anybody know the name of the guy who runs Krystal Achieve? I was thinking we should try to contact him to join us on Smashboards for Krystal's sake. He could help us spread awareness of her history in the Star Fox franchise and Dinosaur Planet's history within Rare. He could help us make Krystal popular again like how she was during Brawl speculation.
That would be awesome if Krystal reached the same popularity as she did during Brawl. I guess, now I will join the battle for Krystal :)! She's my most wanted character in Smash and let's hope she gets upgraded!

Last edited:

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
I've been thinking about what music Krystal would bring with her as DLC. Excluding Terry's fighter pack with 50 music tracks, the fighter packs average about 10 tracks so aiming for that here. I also think the tracks would likely come only from the games she's been in so Adventures, Assault and Command.
This is what I've got so far
  1. Corneria (Assault)
  2. Sargasso Space Zone
  3. Sauria
  4. Vs. Sauria
  5. Vs. Katina
  6. Vs. Great Fox
  7. Great Fox Rock
  8. Jet Bike Theme
  9. Fox's Forgotten Love, Krystal
  10. Great Leader, Fox McCloud
I feel the Vs. tracks from Assault would work very well for Smash. Adventures has fantastic music, but not a lot of it seems suited for Smash. The two Command tracks on here would probably need to be updated/remixed.

Any tracks here that anyone would swap out for others that I've missed? Interested on hearing everyone's opinions

Last edited:

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
I've been thinking about what music Krystal would bring with her as DLC. Excluding Terry's fighter pack with 50 music tracks, the fighter packs average about 10 tracks so aiming for that here. I also think the tracks would likely come only from the games she's been in so Adventures, Assault and Command.
This is what I've got so far
  1. Corneria (Assault)
  2. Sargasso Space Zone
  3. Sauria
  4. Vs. Sauria
  5. Vs. Katina
  6. Vs. Great Fox
  7. Great Fox Rock
  8. Jet Bike Theme
  9. Fox's Forgotten Love, Krystal
  10. Great Leader, Fox McCloud
I feel the Vs. tracks from Assault would work very well for Smash. Adventures has fantastic music, but not a lot of it seems suited for Smash. The two Command tracks on here would probably need to be updated/remixed.

Any tracks here that anyone would swap out for others that I've missed? Interested on hearing everyone's opinions
Great track list.

I do think it depends on which Krystal they would go for too. Would they feature classic or modern Krystal? Your suggestions would work perfectly for her modern design in Assault.

If they went more traditional like her assist trophy then they could add a Dinosaur Planet stage with its own music?

Would definitely distance her uniquely from the other spacies.

Which version does everyone prefer? Maybe a mix? I'm fine with any version.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Great track list.

I do think it depends on which Krystal they would go for too. Would they feature classic or modern Krystal? Your suggestions would work perfectly for her modern design in Assault.

If they went more traditional like her assist trophy then they could add a Dinosaur Planet stage with its own music?

Personally, I would prefer Assault Krystal if I had the option to choose but to be honest her playable Smash design will probably be a mix between her Adventures, Assault, and Command designs. Like how Ridley and K. Rool's playable designs were a mix of their past designs, Krystal I feel will take the same direction when she finally makes her playable debut in Smash.

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
Great track list.

Thanks!

That is a good point. My reasoning for Assault having more tracks is just because arguably more of them fit a Smash setting, but I would be equally happy with Adventures Krystal and a stage from Dinosaur Planet, so many great areas to choose from!

If Krazoa Palace and/or Thorntail Hollow could get Smash remixes that would be fantastic. I suppose the Sharpclaw and Andross battle themes or even the barrel music would work well untouched too. Imagine having Moon Mountain Pass as a stage and having to avoid the barrels :laugh:

Personally, I would prefer Assault Krystal if I had the option to choose but to be honest her playable Smash design will probably be a mix between her Adventures, Assault, and Command designs. Like how Ridley and K. Rool's playable designs were a mix of their past designs, Krystal I feel will take the same direction when she finally makes her playable debut in Smash.
Agreed. Smashified did a good job of that. Honestly I wasn't sure about it at first because I was never a huge fan of the Command designs, but after seeing the mixed design in SSF2 I have a much bigger appreciation for it

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm here to say I'll still root for my fellow Rare-Nintendo created characters. It's a real big shame that outside of literally Diddy, Nintendo refuses to handle Nintendo characters made by Rare. Krystal got in Assault and Command, but after that she wasn't so lucky anymore. It's also weird that Nintendo insists on making remakes on SF64 when they make a Star Fox game. I hope Krystal can return in the Star Fox franchise once again, much like K.Rool returns in Donkey Kong Country once again.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm here to say I'll still root for my fellow Rare-Nintendo created characters. It's a real big shame that outside of literally Diddy, Nintendo refuses to handle Nintendo characters made by Rare. Krystal got in Assault and Command, but after that she wasn't so lucky anymore. It's also weird that Nintendo insists on making remakes on SF64 when they make a Star Fox game. I hope Krystal can return in the Star Fox franchise once again, much like K.Rool returns in Donkey Kong Country once again.
It's a shame because characters like K. Rool, Dixie, Krystal, ect they were originally made by Rare and are Nintendo All Stars despite them not originally being made by Nintendo. Rare's Nintendo creations deserve a lot more recognition than they get from Nintendo. K. Rool and Dixie should both be in Mario Kart and other Mario spin offs not just Diddy.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's a shame because characters like K. Rool, Dixie, Krystal, ect they were originally made by Rare and are Nintendo All Stars despite them not originally being made by Nintendo. Rare's Nintendo creations deserve a lot more recognition than they get from Nintendo. K. Rool and Dixie should both be in Mario Kart and other Mario spin offs not just Diddy.
And Krystal and Dixie should both be in Smash alongside Ridley and K Rool.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not just Diddy? You say that like as if Diddy is a mainstay in Mario Kart. He's been absent for two whole games now. Even Villager, Isabelle, Link and the Inklings get to join Mario Kart before Diddy now. And of course, the many babies and metalic characters.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Not just Diddy? You say that like as if Diddy is a mainstay in Mario Kart. He's been absent for two whole games now. Even Villager, Isabelle, Link and the Inklings get to join Mario Kart before Diddy now. And of course, the many babies and metalic characters.
Yeah, that... that's one of those stuffs that should not happen if the world was sane.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yes, but he was added back in Mario Kart Tour, and he's made appearances in almost all of the other recent Mario spinoffs like Super Mario Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (2016 and 2020), Mario Tennis Aces, and Dr. Mario World.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Yes, but he was added back in Mario Kart Tour, and he's made appearances in almost all of the other recent Mario spinoffs like Super Mario Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (2016 and 2020), Mario Tennis Aces, and Dr. Mario World.
Oh, didn't know he was in Dr Mario World !

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, but he still at least has gotten into Mario Kart and a bunch of other Mario spin off games. K. Rool nor Dixie hasn't had that pleasure yet and that really has to change. But I agree, Diddy should come back to the mainline Mario Kart games before we get Funky back or anyone else from DKC.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly, its unfortunate that Star Fox, much like Donkey Kong has struggled with relevance and a bigger library due to Nintendo seemingly not knowing what to do with it. When the best outing for your cast in the last 14 years is as guest characters in a toys to life Ubisoft game, that's pretty telling. Its a real pity too because if you took the best ideas from the various in put them into one, you'd have a hell of a title.

-The open world setting from Starlink
-Selectable characters/ships from Command
-Multi-player maps (now online!) from Assault
-Select on rails segments with the design quality of 64
-Expanded cast of Miyu and Fay from 2
-The soundtrack quality of Zero

Throw in Krystal as playable to make your roster at least 7 characters and some wingman command elements ala Rogue Squadron and we'd have a Star Fox game that finally felt like the the follow-up the series deserved.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Honestly, its unfortunate that Star Fox, much like Donkey Kong has struggled with relevance and a bigger library due to Nintendo seemingly not knowing what to do with it. When the best outing for your cast in the last 14 years is as guest characters in a toys to life Ubisoft game, that's pretty telling. Its a real pity too because if you took the best ideas from the various in put them into one, you'd have a hell of a title.

Throw in Krystal as playable to make your roster at least 7 characters and some wingman command elements ala Rogue Squadron and we'd have a Star Fox game that finally felt like the the follow-up the series deserved.
And take Assault's on foot gameplay and improve on it

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Absolutely agree. A Star Fox game with Adventures on foot missions and Star Fox's Arwing and Tank missions is my dream Star Fox game. Star Fox like I said before in the past should be more like Star Wars.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
It would also be awesome to see 4 Vs. 4 Squad dogfight online multiplayer battle mode in a new Star Fox game.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge

Why this hasn't happened yet is a mystery. It would be crazy to see.
A new Star Fox but with open world to allow you to explore would be perfect right about now too.

Imagine it having a world crafted with the scale of Zelda. Add in Krystal getting to smash and that's 2 birds with 1 stone.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I don't you necessarily think you need BotW level money to make that hypothetical game, part of the core struggle of Star Fox in general is that its a self fulfilling prophecy with its investment and sales. Nintendo doesn't put as much core resources into as much as they should, the recent games undersell, and then it leaves them even less inclined to put money into the next time. Either that or the constant need to put a gimmick into the games is their version of making them AA titles.

SF0 was endemic of the limited efforts and/or flawed philosophy of Nintendo's approach to the franchise. Even putting aside the uphill fight releasing a title late in failed console's lifetime, it felt like so many aspects of it were made to turn people away from being interested.

-A continuity reboot which turned off fans that enjoyed the likes of Krystal, Panther, etc
-Blah aesthetics and largely serviceable graphics that didn't really excite anyone visually
-Rehashing 64 when the 3DS remake had already come out and fans wanted the series moved forward
-Alternate paths and level structure that were less interesting than the game it was rehashing
-A control scheme and camera set-up that seemed designed to ward off any potential casual fans

Misguided approaches towards its franchises was a common thing by Nintendo in the Wii-U era, but Zero was the culmination of the company completely misunderstanding the appeal of it. And the lack of a real rehabilitation of the game's reputation or reassessment of its possible virtues in the last four years has done little to suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
And this is why Nintendo should hand the series off to another developer if they don't know what to do with it.. Give Retro a chance post MP4 that is..
I agree, but as much as I love Retro if they started working on Star Fox after MP4 we likely wouldn't see it till near the end of the decade :laugh:

We still have no idea what they were working on in the 5 years between Tropical Freeze's Wii U release in Feb 2014 and them taking over MP4 development Jan 2019, besides the Switch port of DKC.

After Star Link I'd be happy to see Ubisoft take a shot at a full Star Fox game though! Or ideally give it back to Namco to make a sequel to Assault

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Remember how two years ago, insiders were duped into thinking that Retro was in-fact working on a Star Fox racing game, which in turn gave some people in this thread hope that Krystal would be in it and thus increase her odds of getting into Smash?

Good times...

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly Star Fox could use a two pronged approach in letting others handle both gaming development and external media.

Even getting back to its early days, it was an IP that was badly affected by Nintendo running away from doing non-gaming media in 1993 after the one two punch of the Mario Bros movie and the awful Nintendo CD-I games. Right as the first games was coming out, with its own comic in Nintendo Power no less, the company was giving up on letting anyone handle their characters in a significant way. The possibility of a a Star Fox expanded universe was disappearing right as the franchise was being born.

And its not hard to imagine what could have been when one looks at the legacy left by Sonic media when Sega allowed for that universe to bloom. Yeah you ended up with silliness like the Underground cartoon or the Ken Penders run of the comics, but you also had a rich history of material beloved by various fans and an establishment of Sonic as something more than just a video game character. Even if SF could have never reached the same heights, with a setting as brimming with potential as it is, it could have been something. It has a continual fandom in spite of how wasted its been as a series so who knows what its heights could be if there was effort in both the games and actual EU in existence?

While my primary concern is seeing the gameplay of the series evolve without being hampered by gimmicks I do admit that its hard not to look at what it is and find myself wondering why haven't we had Star Fox comics and/or an animated series in the last 25 years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom