• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
While I favor her and would definitely like to see her entry, my question point would be whether SF series is gonna receieve new fighter entry in the future, This is the general obstacle to all other SF characters. While Kirby and Zelda are still trapped in the triforce cage, I think Nintendo's lack of willingness to expand contents from inactive franchise is still reasonable.

I can only come up with several assumptions:
1) Adding Krystal as fourth SF fighter in the future (least likely)
2) Adding Krystal as an echo of Fox (controversial, since her assist moveset already sticks to her orignal nature)
3) In the reboot roster, Wolf becomes Fox's echo, Krystal replaces his regular role. (likely IMO)

Last edited:

leppy

Smash Cadet
While I favor her and would definitely like to see her entry, my question point would be whether SF series is gonna receieve new fighter entry in the future, This is the general obstacle to all other SF characters. While Kirby and Zelda are still trapped in the triforce cage, I think Nintendo's lack of willingness to expand contents from inactive franchise is still reasonable.
I wouldn't call a series whose last installment hasn't reached 2 and a half years old inactive, at least quite yet, especially when that last installment was decently well received. We'll see in 2023.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
3) In the reboot roster, Wolf becomes Fox's echo, Krystal replaces his regular role. (likely IMO)
There's going to be cuts, but there's no way there's going to be a reboot. Everyone would hate it, and Nintendo/Sakurai know better.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
There's going to be cuts, but there's no way there's going to be a reboot. Everyone would hate it, and Nintendo/Sakurai know better.
We would never know, tho.

I know every character has supportors, but fact remain that many of the current fighers were controversial for their qualification and Nintendo's decision isn't always right. Rebooting the roster provides the chance to justify it with more new contents so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Suppose that there won't be cuts in Smash 6, the question would be whether NIntendo would still want to add more SF contents. Just like what I suggest, making fourth SF fighter is the least likely among the options.

I wouldn't call a series whose last installment hasn't reached 2 and a half years old inactive, at least quite yet, especially when that last installment was decently well received. We'll see in 2023.
I get your point. Just relatively, it isn't that as much active as the ones which had releases on Switch or 3DS, that would explain whenever there is a new slot for old franchises, Mario or Pokemon would have better chance to get it due to that they're able to expand their actual contents with new games.

Last edited:

leppy

Smash Cadet
making fourth SF fighter is the least likely among the options.
Fire Emblem has eight characters in the game by now and the last installment seemingly sold approximately three copies in the United States from how much people talk about it.
Mario or Pokemon would have better chance to get it due to that they're able to expand their actual contents with new games.
I guess it's not new, but SF2 does introduce new characters to the series. Like Wolf O'Donnell.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
There's a question: if Star Fox got a new character but it wasn't Krystal, who would you want?

Me, I want Miyu.

leppy

Smash Cadet
I'd ask "does R.O.B. count?" but (albiet just as a trophy), he's actually already in the game, so...
If Leon Powalski got that Slavic voice he had in AFIS, I'd want him in.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Fire Emblem has eight characters in the game by now and the last installment seemingly sold approximately three copies in the United States from how much people talk about it.
While we're not here to encourage series overpresentation, it'd be more precise to take that as an example to ask for a new SF title for Switch, right?

We do get old characters in Smash 5, but still wouldn't deny that many other fighters come along with some advertising effect. So that I think the fact the last SF was in DS era would be relatively weaker than other longterm seiries with very new releases.

leppy

Smash Cadet
While we're not here to encourage series overpresentation, it'd be more precise to take that as an example to ask for a new SF title for Switch, right?

We do get old characters in Smash 5, but still wouldn't deny that many other fighters come along with some advertising effect. So that I think the fact the last SF was in DS era would be relatively weaker than other longterm seiries with very new releases.
It'd be cool to have a new entry, and it seems like they still keep the series in mind from the Star Fox stuff put into Starlink at least.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There's a question: if Star Fox got a new character but it wasn't Krystal, who would you want?

Me, I want Miyu.
If we got a Star Fox newcomer that wasn't Krystal I would want Leon Powalski. He could be a Wolf/Fox/Falco Echo or semi-clone. Plus we would have two members of Star Fox and Star Wolf on the roster so it would be even on Wolf's end.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Me, I want Miyu.
James McCloud as a Fox Echo and he only shows up in the CSS about the third of time making you unsure if he was ever really there.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
If we got a Star Fox newcomer that wasn't Krystal I would want Leon Powalski. He could be a Wolf/Fox/Falco Echo or semi-clone. Plus We would have two members of Star Fox amd Star Wolf on the roster so it would be even onWolf's end.
Good point. Plus, chameleons are cool animals in general. He could probably do something with his tongue and color-changing, in adition to laz0rz.

(Of course, if I only get one chameleon in Smash, my heart belongs to this good chap!)

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
Hi all! I'd also like to join this Krystal support group, been wanting her in Smash since Brawl.

Just a heads up there's 1 more day to take part in Source Gaming's Smash poll so go vote for Krystal if you haven't already!

https://sourcegaming.info/2020/02/16/mega-smash-poll-2020/

Was originally set to end a couple days ago, but they added a few more days on

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I asked the kind folks over at the Star Fox Sub-Reddit about who at Rare created Krystal and they said either Kevin Bayliss or Lee Schuneman. Do you guys know who exactly 100%? I would like to know.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So I asked the kind folks over at the Star Fox Sub-Reddit about who at Rare created Krystal and they said either Kevin Bayliss or Lee Schuneman. Do you guys know who exactly 100%? I would like to know.
From my understanding, Kev Bayliss created the original design that was supposed to be used for Dinosaur Planet.

However, when the game became SFA, her final design was provided by Johnni Christensen.

Her Assault design was done by Hidetomo Komaki.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
From my understanding, Kev Bayliss created the original design that was supposed to be used for Dinosaur Planet.

However, when the game became SFA, her final design was provided by Johnni Christensen.

Her Assault design was done by Hidetomo Komaki.
So basically in a way she has two creators? I see. Is that photo fanart or official artwork from Rare?

Laniv

Smash Lord
Hey I've been playing Krystal in Smash Flash 2 and I've been thinking she'd be pretty cool to have in Smash

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
You think Krystal would have been part of this tournament, had she been playable? (only fighters with reflect can be used)
Possibly, but I think most fans see her without a reflector special so that she can use more abilities that the other Star Fox characters can't already do. I also can't see Sakurai giving her one if he based Krystal off of her Adventures appearance like he did with her assist trophy

Jolumas

Smash Rookie
Star Fox themed Pic of the Day from Sakurai.
Cool seeing more of the ship and its surroundings. Always nice to see anything Star Fox related from Sakurai
Pack your bags bois and gurls, our gal is in. :4pacman:
Will admit that made me laugh

In case anyone is interested Slackerz on Youtube is holding a Smash Bros fan tournament where people can vote for who they would like to see in the game and Krystal was just in a video on Friday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KtXWBkSusI&t=2s
Since the tournament began she's outvoted the Octolings, Nightmare from Soul Calibur and Lana from Hyrule Warriors, but now she's up against Lara Croft so will need all the votes we can give her. Voting closes for that match up this Friday

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
We are getting a Arms rep and if Spring Man get's promoted than our blue vixen is back in the race. ;)
Returned after hearing that news to mention this. Even just hearing that an Arms character is in boosts our chances considerably. Maybe that assist trophy pack I mentioned way back can be a reality?

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Returned after hearing that news to mention this. Even just hearing that an Arms character is in boosts our chances considerably. Maybe that assist trophy pack I mentioned way back can be a reality?
Hold off on counting those chickens, guys. ARMS still has 10 characters that are unused in Smash, and if any one of them is the Fighter, is means they're not considering Spirits. Even then, for Krystal to be in with a chance, it has to be Spring Man specifically getting in and not any of the 4 Spirit characters.
I'm just saying the game being ARMS doesn't prove anything YET. It all depends on WHO it is.

With that being said, I am absolutely in support of Krystal being in someday. Maybe in the next Smash, but we need a differently playing StarFox character ASAP.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If it is Spring Man is getting promoted, the main thing we'll have to wait and see if what will happen to his assist trophy. It's not tied into any spirit battles (even his own) so it could be straight up removed, they could have it so that the Spring Man Assist Trophy doesn't appear when the character is on stage or they could replace his assist trophy's model with that of Springtron.

If it's the third option, then that dramatically cuts down on the number of ATs that can make the jump. Krystal doesn't have any neat and tidy counterpart that would replace her.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
If it is Spring Man is getting promoted, the main thing we'll have to wait and see if what will happen to his assist trophy. It's not tied into any spirit battles (even his own) so it could be straight up removed, they could have it so that the Spring Man Assist Trophy doesn't appear when the character is on stage or they could replace his assist trophy's model with that of Springtron.

If it's the third option, then that dramatically cuts down on the number of ATs that can make the jump. Krystal doesn't have any neat and tidy counterpart that would replace her.
Well, I guess they could put a Fox in his Adventure look instead. It would be different enough from the regular Fox so that players do not confuse the playable character and the assist. But disable the trophy when the character is being played seems the easiest thing to do.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603

Well, we do know that certain Assists can be disabled on certain stages, but whether that can or will be extended to characters is still unknown, mainly because there's never been cause to bring it up. Either way, this ARMS character will kill off so many arguments either for or against AT/Spirits depending on who they chose.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, we do know that certain Assists can be disabled on certain stages, but whether that can or will be extended to characters is still unknown, mainly because there's never been cause to bring it up. Either way, this ARMS character will kill off so many arguments either for or against AT/Spirits depending on who they chose.
And if not Spring-Man, the argument that the character has the be the main character or otherwise the face of the game.

Top Bottom