• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Found this little relic from long ago.

Wish those last two characters could've gotten in. I miss the days when Dixie and Krystal were pretty much on equal levels of popularity to Ridley and Rool in the fandom (or at least not nearly as less popular as they are now), instead of now lagging far behind the two due to two of them getting in and the other two being slowly forgotten, especially Krystal.

It sure would be lovely to see Dixie and Krystal also get modernized Smash Ultimate playable character art and beautiful CGI trailers and spots in tons of fan art all over the internet and the respect they deserve in forums, like what happened to once mocked characters like Ridley, Rool, and Banjo before they were added.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Found this little relic from long ago.

Wish those last two characters could've gotten in. I miss the days when Dixie and Krystal were pretty much on equal levels of popularity to Ridley and Rool in the fandom (or at least not nearly as less popular as they are now), instead of now lagging far behind the two due to two of them getting in and the other two being slowly forgotten, especially Krystal.

It really sucks because Krystal and Dixie deserve to be on that level of popularity now that K. Rool and Ridley was at. Their turns should literally be next! It's suppose to be their time.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
It really sucks because Krystal and Dixie deserve to be on that level of popularity now that K. Rool and Ridley was at. Their turns should literally be next! It's suppose to be their time.
Wonder if Sakurai and the gang remember their popularity? They were both popular in the beginning before falling off, but they also stated that pack 2 characters were already chosen. They hopefully were screened before losing support.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wonder if Sakurai and the gang remember their popularity? They were both popular in the beginning before falling off, but they also stated that pack 2 characters were already chosen. They hopefully were screened before losing support.
Well Krystal getting in as an Assist Trophy in itself is a good sign

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I love this! They absolutely don't especially Krystal.
At least we won't be dusty skeletons by the time SSF 1.2 releases, because Zero has announced that it's coming out on the 14th of this month. That's next week! I'm excited to finally be able to play as Krystal. It's so good to see her signature weapon heavily involved in this moveset and not as a prop that gets whipped out in taunts before vanishing into the abyss of her cartoon pocket. By now, Star Fox characters have a well established notoriety for being laser brains, so I'm glad they explored the whole range of what she has to offer in terms of hand-to-hand, magic and technology.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
At least we won't be dusty skeletons by the time SSF 1.2 releases, because Zero has announced that it's coming out on the 14th of this month. That's next week! I'm excited to finally be able to play as Krystal. It's so good to see her signature weapon heavily involved in this moveset and not as a prop that gets whipped out in taunts before vanishing into the abyss of her cartoon pocket. By now, Star Fox characters have a well established notoriety for being laser brains, so I'm glad they explored the whole range of what she has to offer in terms of hand-to-hand, magic and technology.

Been waiting for that release since forever. Love what they did with her weapons, especially her rifle. Really sets her apart from the other spacies.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Fay definitely deserves more attention. I have always loved her design the most of all the females in the franchise.
I like Miyu a little more. She seems kinda butch to me, like Vasquez from Aliens. She'd make a good love interest for Falco. (Unless she and Fay are an item?)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I been fan of krystal a long time I like krystal to be playable on the next super smash bros game because she my favorite character
Me too. Krystal is my favorite Star Fox character and she's my 2nd most wanted character I want to see get into Smash. She would be the first unique Star Fox newcomer in Smash since Fox himself and she would bring a totally different unique moveset to the table in terms of Star Fox characters being a blue vixen with a magical staff. She would be so fun to play with as well. I will definitely make her one of my mains come the day she does happen to get in if she ever does.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I don't think that's fair to Wolf. His specials are similar to Fox's, but his standards are all unique in both Brawl and Ultimate. And Falco's really come into his own, post-Melee.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I don't think that's fair to Wolf. His specials are similar to Fox's, but his standards are all unique in both Brawl and Ultimate. And Falco's really come into his own, post-Melee.
It's debatable, of course, but I think the similarities are too big to not call them semi-clones.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Calling Wolf unique is like calling Ganondorf unique which isn't exactly the case. Wolf is a semi-clone at best using a blaster as his Neutral Special, a reflector shield as his Down Special, and Arwing and Landmaster as his Final Smashes. Yes, Wolf's have different properties from Fox and Falco's but it's practically the same damn moves honestly pretty much.

Ganondorf is still a semi-clone of Captain Falcon expect that now pretty much of all his Specials are taken from Ike and Cloud.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Keep in mind, the whole reason Wolf got into Brawl and not Krystal was because that he could be a deriative of Fox/Falco's moveset.

Wolf is basically what you call a "psuedo-clone", as in they're unique enough, but at the same time were still obviously cloned from other characters to some extent. Other examples include Lucas and Luigi (in Ultimate).

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Hi Krystal fans, Happy Valentines Day. i'm finishing up a valentines picture of smash bros and i'm using krystal. so i want to ask if krystal gave fox something for valentines what would it be?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I do not need another Wolf clone debate.

Had enough long arguments about that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hi Krystal fans, Happy Valentines Day. i'm finishing up a valentines picture of smash bros and i'm using krystal. so i want to ask if krystal gave fox something for valentines what would it be?
A crystal gem from Dinosaur Planet of course. Fox has to impress his gal with something big am I right?

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Kristal is pretty fun in smash flash. It's soothing to get a taste of her being playable in some way.

Already love the rifle, but alas had work soon after. It's a good thing to do while waiting on smash news.
I do not need another Wolf clone debate.

Had enough long arguments about that.
Whoo, That brings me back. Apparently still a touchy subject.

leppy

Smash Cadet
Dinosaur Planet should have been its own game.
Now that that's out of the way, I'd be interested to see where this would go. I'd imagine a lighter Cap or Link, but with a projectile or two. Then again technically since she was frozen for all of SFA and afterward she started picking up on the whole "gun" thing, I guess there's some play as to what those projectiles would be.
In fairness, those of us who liked the SNES continuity had our faces slapped big-time, twice, with a major game cancellation with poor excuses surrounding it (Star Fox 64 is nothing like Star Fox 2 and retains almost nothing from it, and a 1995 release would never have detracted from the series' debut on the N64) and a reboot, and we just had to live with it - nobody ever speaks up about that. :p
Imagine being a DP fan, we didn't even get one game, and probably won't get the 80% ""complete"" ROM either given the internet's reaction to Star Fox 2 (that is, pirate it extensively within hours). Adventures has the setting in common but not much else...
Though keep in mind, SF2 would have been released in 1996.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It's been forever since I played Star Fox Adventures (also, I never actually beat it), so I don't remember what the moves are called, but I expect her neutral B would be a fireball, her side-B would be ice, her up-B would be that rocket jump, and her down-B would be either the earthquake thing or one of her bombs from Assault?

Her Final Smash is trickier to figure out. She could call in Arwings like the boys, but maybe it'd be cooler if she summoned Krazoa spirits or that pterodactyl friend she rides in the intro.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's been forever since I played Star Fox Adventures (also, I never actually beat it), so I don't remember what the moves are called, but I expect her neutral B would be a fireball, her side-B would be ice, her up-B would be that rocket jump, and her down-B would be either the earthquake thing or one of her bombs from Assault?

Her Final Smash is trickier to figure out. She could call in Arwings like the boys, but maybe it'd be cooler if she summoned Krazoa spirits or that pterodactyl friend she rides in the intro.
I haven't played Star Fox Adventures in 12 years but your Specials idea for Krystal is pretty accurate. Krazoa Spirits would be a perfect Final Smash for her. Also, you should try to finish Star Fox Adventures when you have the chance because there is a huge plot twist at the end
Andross is alive and has been impersonating as the Krazoa god throughout the game so you could help him gain back his energy. He is the final boss in the game instead of General Scales.

leppy

Smash Cadet
I haven't played Star Fox Adventures in 12 years but your Specials idea for Krystal is pretty accurate. Krazoa Spirits would be a perfect Final Smash for her. Also, you should try to finish Star Fox Adventures when you have the chance because there is a huge plot twist at the end
Andross is alive and has been impersonating as the Krazoa god throughout the game so you could help him gain back his energy. He is the final boss in the game instead of General Scales.
I'd argue that it'd be "instead of Drakor"; Scales was never the actual final boss even before the turn of the millennium. Andross's role replaces Drakor as the twist villain, rather than Scales' as the final one, a role he never had in the first place.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd argue that it'd be "instead of Drakor"; Scales was never the actual final boss even before the turn of the millennium. Andross's role replaces Drakor as the twist villain, rather than Scales' as the final one, a role he never had in the first place.
I never knew about that. So was Drakor the original final boss in Dinosaur Planet before any of the Star Fox content got added in?

Last edited:

leppy

Smash Cadet
I never knew about that. So was Drakor the original final boss in Dinosaur Planet before any of the Star Fox content got added in?
Yeah, he was fairly directly replaced with Andross. To make a long story short, dragon dudes fought millions of years ago, and Drakor after being outcast from the rest of society for being racist even compared to the other, still racist dragons got really nostalgic about everything dying, so he manipulated Scales into acting as a lackey with too high a hubris so that he takes care of himself once Drakor has no use for him. I'd compare him to
Beldam, where he has an underling (General Scales, Sir Grodus) you think was the final boss but is really just an overconfident, self-aggrandizing pawn in a game of 4D chess.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, he was fairly directly replaced with Andross. To make a long story short, dragon dudes fought millions of years ago, and Drakor after being outcast from the rest of society for being racist even compared to the other, still racist dragons got really nostalgic about everything dying, so he manipulated Scales into acting as a lackey with too high a hubris so that he takes care of himself once Drakor has no use for him. I'd compare him to
Beldam, where he has an underling (General Scales, Sir Grodus) you think was the final boss but is really just an overconfident, self-aggrandizing pawn in a game of 4D chess.
Interesting. Sometimes I wonder if Dinosaur Planet would have been a better game than Star Fox Adventures. I know they're the same game, but the original idea and conspect for Dinosaur Planet sounds much more interesting than what we got. Though had Miyamoto never suggested Rare to turn it into a Star Fox game, our gal Krystal wouldn't be a member of the Nintendo family.

Last edited:

leppy

Smash Cadet
Interesting. Sometimes I wonder if Dinosaur Planet would have been a better game than Star Fox Adventures. I know they're the same game, but the original idea and conspect for Dinosaur Planet sounds much more interesting than what we got. Though had Miyamoto never suggested Rare to turn it into a Star Fox game, our gal Krystal wouldn't be a member of the Nintendo family.
I wouldn't call it the same game, many of its distinguishing features (i.e. two playable characters with unique storylines each) got axed; even the story is radically changed. It went from brother and sister trying to find and rescue their dad (though admittedly Krystal finds him within the first 18 minutes) and incidentally also helping Sauria to Fox McCloud saves girl he has the hots for and also incidentally helping Sauria. Also it would have been graphically the most impressive game on the console, I can't really see much argument otherwise.
Also, Banjo got into Smash, didn't he? It was still an N64 game, so...

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wouldn't call it the same game, many of its distinguishing features (i.e. two playable characters with unique storylines each) got axed; even the story is radically changed. It went from brother and sister trying to find and rescue their dad (though admittedly Krystal finds him within the first 18 minutes) and incidentally also helping Sauria to Fox McCloud saves girl he has the hots for. Also it would have been graphically the most impressive game on the console, I can't really see much argument otherwise.
Also, Banjo got into Smash, didn't he? It was still an N64 game, so...
I agree that Dinosaur Planet would have aged worse than Star Fox Adventures. But the Banjo-Kazooie brand is owned by Microsoft and so is the rest of Rare's creations excluding DKC and the characters they made for Star Fox like Krystal and Scales. Had Dinosaur Planet been a thing, Krystal would have been owned by Microsoft right now.

Last edited:

leppy

Smash Cadet
I agree that Dinosaur Planet would have aged worse than Star Fox Adventures. But the Banjo-Kazooie brand is owned by Microsoft and so is the rest of Rare's creations excluding DKC and the characters they made for Star Fox like Krystal and Scales. Had Dinosaur Planet been a thing, Krystal would have been owned by Mircosoft right now.
I didn't say that—though I don't really have a problem with you believing that, I think the N64 as a whole aged better than the GameCube... anyway, that's true, but she wouldn't have been the same Krystal, either. However, I guarantee there wouldn't have been a Nuts & Bolts moment for her; Banjo had one because his games were popular but Dinosaur Planet was... admittedly, never in a million years going to come out on the Nintendo 64. I mean, it would have been a 2001 title (by that time, everyone either had a PS1, PS2, or was waiting for the GameCube) that was 64MB (the most expensive cartridge to produce, let alone sell) and required the expansion pak (which not everyone had); Conker didn't even have that last limitation and was a financial failure, DP would have caused Rare to go under.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I didn't say that—though I don't really have a problem with you believing that, I think the N64 as a whole aged better than the GameCube... anyway, that's true, but she wouldn't have been the same Krystal, either. However, I guarantee there wouldn't have been a Nuts & Bolts moment for her; Banjo had one because his games were popular but Dinosaur Planet was... admittedly, never in a million years going to come out on the Nintendo 64. I mean, it would have been a 2001 title (by that time, everyone either had a PS1, PS2, or was waiting for the GameCube) that was 64MB (the most expensive cartridge to produce, let alone sell) and required the expansion pak (which not everyone had); Conker didn't even have that last limitation and was a financial failure, DP would have caused Rare to go under.
Don't get me wrong, I am a big N64 fanboy and I love the graphics from that era. But the realistic stuff from that era specifically games with humanoid characters didn't age that well or doesn't looking that good compare to the cartoon looking games like Rare or Nintendo's. The N64 is my all time favorite console and I feel like too many people **** on it because of the graphics but that really isn't the case for all games on the console. N64 has a good chunk of underrated gems barely anyone has heard of before like Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon, Goemon's Great Adventure, Mischief Makers, Space Station Silicon Valley, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, Snowboards Kids, Snowboard Kids 2 I can go on.

leppy

Smash Cadet
Don't get me wrong, I am a big N64 fanboy and I love the graphics from that era. But the realistic stuff from that era specifically games with humanoid characters didn't age that well or doesn't looking that good compare to the cartoon looking games like Rare or Nintendo's. The N64 is my all time favorite console and I feel like too many people **** on it because of the graphics but that really isn't the case for all games on the console. N64 has a good chunk of underrated gems barely anyone has heard of before like Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon, Goemon's Great Adventure, Mischief Makers, Space Station Silicon Valley, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, Snowboards Kids, Snowboard Kids 2 I can go on.
Even Rare have had their graphical misses on the console, i.e. Goldeneye. DP would have been the direct opposite of that, and I think it still looks good today. But more than that, I think DP's gameplay and general reception would have aged much more gracefully. It would have had the freedom to do what it wanted to do in terms of gameplay, and it wouldn't have had to have a double-front assault of fans angry at it for being a half-hearted compromise that a) cut out half of what it meant to do in the first place and b) didn't even really get turned into a Star Fox game to make that segment of the game's potential audience happy, like, at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom