• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
And I'm one of the few people on the planet that didn't get to play it on console, so this is advantageous.

They'll want to focus on Pikmin 4, let's not kid ourselves.

Assuming that one won't bomb, too.

That said, I've had a thought upon watching a recent Canadian Guy Eh video; what if they ended up doing what the N. Sane Trilogy did and just literally remake the two SNES games, with added bells and whistles? Yes, I know that you guys want Nintendo to actually move on with nothing wrong happening this time, but there needs to be a fresh start in earnest this time. VC ports can only take the series so far.
If we're going by what Emily is saying, Pikmin 4 is not happening for quite some time.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-direct-speculation-ot.98257/page-34#post-17711574

Contrary to what Miyamoto said about Pikmin 4 being "almost finished" - it was actually rebooted at some point during development. Which is why we haven't heard anything about it yet.
She's also the one who's saying that Pikmin 3 and 3D World are the Wii U ports.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...pm-edt-11pm-bst.138800/page-164#post-24227577
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...6pm-edt-11pm-bst.138800/page-57#post-24195788
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...eset-the-thread.110533/page-360#post-26168582

Also what is even the point of remaking Star Fox when Nintendo had quite literally already done that with Star Fox 64? Star Fox SNES was the proof of concept, and 64 essentially perfected it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
SM3DW was a pretty fun game especially when playing with other people so you'll probably like it.

So the video with Canadian Guy interviewing Gregg Mayles about Banjo-Threeie is already up? I gotta go see this.
No, not yet, I implied that the topic of the video is about NST's impact on the remake/reboot industry. Star Fox Zero was a reboot of 64 (which was already a reboot of SF on SNES with elements of SF2) that predictably made a lot of people prefer 64.

I do hope that they'll add Daisy, there really aren't many things they could add as a bonus to justify double-dipping.

If we're going by what Emily is saying, Pikmin 4 is not happening for quite some time.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-direct-speculation-ot.98257/page-34#post-17711574

She's also the one who's saying that Pikmin 3 and 3D World are the Wii U ports.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...pm-edt-11pm-bst.138800/page-164#post-24227577
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...6pm-edt-11pm-bst.138800/page-57#post-24195788
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...eset-the-thread.110533/page-360#post-26168582

Also what is even the point of remaking Star Fox when Nintendo had quite literally already done that with Star Fox 64? Star Fox SNES was the proof of concept, and 64 essentially perfected it.
Alright, fair enough.

Also, Nintendo's first course of action after Command's failure was having a 64 remake approved. Let's face it, at this rate we're going to be going through SF1's story by tradition forever if new projects continue to fail. Not even the Starlink crossover helped, and Nintendo had less involvement with that.

The only solution is for an indie company to set their foot down, as the SF series is seemingly cursed to fail at the hands of every third-party it went through so far.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No, not yet, I implied that the topic of the video is about NST's impact on the remake/reboot industry. Star Fox Zero was a reboot of 64 (which was already a reboot of SF on SNES with elements of SF2) that predictably made a lot of people prefer 64.
Well, I'll keep a eye out for it than. I'll just subscribe to Canadian Guy's Youtube channel.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Contrary to what Miyamoto said about Pikmin 4 being "almost finished" - it was actually rebooted at some point during development. Which is why we haven't heard anything about it yet.
Between this and Metroid Prime 4, restarting development on new games for sci-fi Ninty IPs is a trend lately, apparently. That, and 4 being death.

Also, I don't understand why people would be ticked about a Pikmin 3 port coming instead, it shouldn't be left on a dead console. I'm not mad in the slightest, unless the outsourcing was done by Arzest.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
With Krystal in it. ;)
It would be nice if they could stop rebooting literally every game and constantly remaking Star Fox 64 with some pointless gimmick. The only way Krystal returns is if they actually decide to move forward and make a legitimately new game.

This seems to be the full list of characters he's drawing.

Unfortunately, Krystal does not seem to be among them.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This seems to be the full list of characters he's drawing.

Unfortunately, Krystal does not seem to be among them.
Nether is the rest of the Star Wolf crew is in this either. It sucks, but I really wish Krystal had more exposure to go off of besides just 3 games and Smash cameos.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Well, with the announcement that dlc is continuing there's still hope for our girl. I'm happy about Byleth making it in, but my support for Krystal won't end.

I held out until Wolf was brought back, so I'm not changing my flair until she makes it too. Stay strong.

On a side note: I like her gameplay in smash flash, but it being teased and not being playable since forever is irritating.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sigh....

There was a problem fetching the tweet
"King K. Rool has been in more DK games himself." Whoever said that was dead wrong. Though King K. Rool certainly did have more screen time in DKC2 and DKC3 than old DK did.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Funny to think Star Fox was riding at it's highest in the 00's. Then people got nostalgia goggles for 64, then Nintendo glued said goggles to a wonky control scheme.

Don't get me wrong, Star Fox 64 is a good game but it can't be the sole defining game in the series.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Funny to think Star Fox was riding at it's highest in the 00's. Then people got nostalgia goggles for 64, then Nintendo glued said goggles to a wonky control scheme.

Don't get me wrong, Star Fox 64 is a good game but it can't be the sole defining game in the series.
Any game that's Miyamoto's will always be defined as the grand daddy title of the franchise. Ocarina of Time was Miyamoto's last Zelda game and Nintendo and critics still call it the best Zelda game and going farther to still call it the greatest game of all time. I love Ocarina of Time, but it's SUPER overrated and I think there are better games in the franchise.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Any game that's Miyamoto's will always be defined as the grand daddy title of the franchise. Ocarina of Time was Miyamoto's last Zelda game and Nintendo and critics still call it the best Zelda game and going farther to still call it the greatest game of all time. I love Ocarina of Time, but it's SUPER overrated and I think there are betters games in the franchise.
With one major exception that I could Sticker Star, I mean, mention.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Looks like the Rare girls have found alternative forms of Adrenaline rushes after not getting into Smash.... for now.

Dix and Krys: A Rare Ladies story

Artists name is Momo-the-Bunny, I would put a direct link here but account contains NSFW.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Any game that's Miyamoto's will always be defined as the grand daddy title of the franchise. Ocarina of Time was Miyamoto's last Zelda game and Nintendo and critics still call it the best Zelda game and going farther to still call it the greatest game of all time. I love Ocarina of Time, but it's SUPER overrated and I think there are better games in the franchise.
Hard disagree from me. Ocarina of Time may not be the greatest game of all time, but it's definitely the best Zelda. The only one that comes close is Wind Waker.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Hard disagree from me. Ocarina of Time may not be the greatest game of all time, but it's definitely the best Zelda. The only one that comes close is Wind Waker.
Nah, the holy trio is Ocarina-Majora-Breath of the Wild.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All this debate about the best Zelda game and no one has yet said star Fox Adventures :p

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Star Fox Adventures lets you beat up your annoying companion, therefore it is objectively the better Zelda game.

Truthfully I wouldn't mind a re-release of it provided it had QoL updates, namely an expanded intro/more time playing as Krystal.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
All this debate about the best Zelda game and no one has yet said star Fox Adventures :p
Honestly, I replayed it about a year ago and it doesn't hold up. The gameplay itself is still good but it's being stopped constantly to show you cutscenes of the environment changing or to tell you what to do and I just want to play the game, you know?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Y'all don't seem to get irony.

Star Fox Adventures is a flawed game, not least of which being it was rushed before the company was sold and only became a Star Fox game near the end of development but for that reason I think it deserves a remake more than any Zelda game. It just needs that finish to it.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Nah, the holy trio is Ocarina-Majora-Breath of the Wild.
Majora's Mask and Breath of the Wild are both bad. If you ask me, the holy trio (Triforce?) is Ocarina, Wind Waker, and either Link to the Past or Twilight Princess.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Majora's Mask and Breath of the Wild are both bad. If you ask me, the holy trio (Triforce?) is Ocarina, Wind Waker, and either Link to the Past or Twilight Princess.
Nah, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are bad.

This can continue for a long time. :)

But seriously, I don't think we should compare the 2D and the 3D Zelda. They are too different. A Link to the Past is great, of course.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's only subjected to opinion though. In my opinion Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time.

I haven't played too much of Breath of the Wild, but how is Majora's Mask bad exactly? Because the game was so different from the rest of the games in the series and it didn't involve rescuing Zelda from Ganon/Ganondorf? The game brought a breath of fresh air into the franchise with the mask transformations, the 3 days conspect, a different antagonist besides Ganon, ect. While the game didn't have as many dungeons as OOT, it had a lot of the best side quests in the series and Stone Tower Temple was honestly one of the best dungeons in the entire franchise. The game also had very memorable songs like "Song of Healing", "Majora's Theme", "Milk Bar", "Astral Observatory", "Stone Tower Temple", ect.

Even if you didn't like it, Majora's Mask wasn't a bad game by any means of the imagination.

Nah, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are bad.

This can continue for a long time. :)

But seriously, I don't think we should compare the 2D and the 3D Zelda. They are too different. A Link to the Past is great, of course.
Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were good games too. But I agree about we shouldn't be comparing the 3D Zelda games with the 2D ones as it's almost like comparing two different genres with each other.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
That's only subjected to opinion though. In my opinion Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time.

I haven't played too much of Breath of the Wild, but how is Majora's Mask bad exactly? Because the game was so different from the rest of the games in the series and it didn't involve rescuing Zelda from Ganon/Ganondorf? The game brought a breath of fresh air into the franchise with the mask transformations, the 3 days conspect, a different antagonist besides Ganon, ect. While the game didn't have as many dungeons as OOT, it had a lot of the best side quests in the series and Stone Tower Temple was honestly one of the best dungeons in the entire franchise. The game also had very memorable songs like "Song of Healing", "Majora's Theme", "Milk Bar", "Astral Observatory", "Stone Tower Temple", ect.

Even if you didn't like it, Majora's Mask wasn't a bad game by any means of the imagination.

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were good games too. But I agree about we shouldn't be comparing the 3D Zelda games with the 2D ones as it's almost like comparing two different genres with each other.
I know, they're not bad games. But they're not what I call good Zelda either. Meaning they're good games, not great games. If you see what I mean. :)

That being said, I think we should continue on another topic...

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan

I like the masks and two of the dungeons (Woodfall and Stone Tower), but hate almost everything else. I especially hate that there's a time limit. I'm not saying the time limit is too strict, I don't like that it's there at all. The fact that you're basically obligated to reset time before trying to do anything important drives me nuts. I'm the kind of player that likes to goof around a lot.

I really hate Snowhead and Great Bay. They aren't fun to play. Crucial details are too easy to overlook (like the passage under the floating block in the Water Temple, but in every other room) and errors are punished too severely, usually by making you backtrack a ton, which is very stressful when you're on the clock.

But if it makes you feel any better, I loved Young Link and Skull Kid in Hyrule Warriors. :p

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Agreed I still think Assault is extremely underrated. Hell I would even put 64 and Assault toe to toe with each other. People hate on the ground gameplay and while not perfect it was a good starting point to evolving the series and fine tuning it in future releases to make it better.

Too bad Miyamoto and others decided to devolve the series back to 64 and constantly trying to capture the same magic back but have failed constantly.

Assault had so much character and personality and the multiplayer was fantastic. I wish Nintendo would try to make a follow-up maybe get Bamco back to co-develop along with Nintendo themselves. Of course bring back Krystal as well. But we all know after Zero bombing and Starlink bombing, I doubt Nintendo would try and do that..

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Agreed I still think Assault is extremely underrated. Hell I would even put 64 and Assault toe to toe with each other. People hate on the ground gameplay and while not perfect it was a good starting point to evolving the series and fine tuning it in future releases to make it better.

Too bad Miyamoto and others decided to devolve the series back to 64 and constantly trying to capture the same magic back but have failed constantly.

Assault had so much character and personality and the multiplayer was fantastic. I wish Nintendo would try to make a follow-up maybe get Bamco back to co-develop along with Nintendo themselves. Of course bring back Krystal as well. But we all know after Zero bombing and Starlink bombing, I doubt Nintendo would try and do that..
To be fair, Starlink didn't bomb as a game. It bombed as a toyline.
The game itself sold pretty well and was well liked across the board. Except for the Pewdiepie clone they had on board.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think it's worth pointing out that inspite of the current state the series is in, Star Fox isn't exactly "dead".

Go to Nintendo's Amazon merchandise store, and you'll notice that Star Fox actually has an entire segment dedicated to it (sorry, there's no Krystal merch). It may just be a bunch of T-shirts, but it's still something.

Also something that I'm surprised went under the radar in this thread is that Emily Rogers (who's responsible for those Pikmin 3/3D World port rumors) actually has stated that Nintendo has experimented with some Star Fox related prototypes behind the scenes and it's an IP that, like Pikmin, Miyamoto won't let go of.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ation-trilogy-hd.155302/page-95#post-27377758

Metroid is one franchise that will get plenty of love on Switch. I think Switch will satisfy Metroid fans. Nintendo isn't giving up on Star Fox anytime soon either.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ation-trilogy-hd.155302/page-99#post-27385537

What I meant is Nintendo recently did some prototypes/demos with Star Fox. I doubt those demos will turn into a game, but you never know. My point was that Nintendo wasn't giving up on Star Fox. Internally, they're still experimenting with ideas and concepts. Star Fox is in the same camp as Pikmin. They're two IPs that Miyamoto won't let go (I say that as a positive thing).
So yeah, not in the best of shape, but SF definitely isn't "dead" as some people proclaim it as. If you want actual dead Nintendo IPs, look no further than F-Zero or Kid Icarus.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
I think it's worth pointing out that inspite of the current state the series is in, Star Fox isn't exactly "dead".

Go to Nintendo's Amazon merchandise store, and you'll notice that Star Fox actually has an entire segment dedicated to it (sorry, there's no Krystal merch). It may just be a bunch of T-shirts, but it's still something.

Also something that I'm surprised went under the radar in this thread is that Emily Rogers (who's responsible for those Pikmin 3/3D World port rumors) actually has stated that Nintendo has experimented with some Star Fox related prototypes behind the scenes and it's an IP that, like Pikmin, Miyamoto won't let go of.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ation-trilogy-hd.155302/page-95#post-27377758

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ation-trilogy-hd.155302/page-99#post-27385537

So yeah, not in the best of shape, but SF definitely isn't "dead" as some people proclaim it as. If you want actual dead Nintendo IPs, look no further than F-Zero or Kid Icarus.
It's very reassuring to hear that Star Fox isn't being dropped any time soon. But that begs the question: what does that mean for Krystal?

Along with having fans wonder if she will even be seen again in the main series, she seems to mostly have been forgotten as even a thought for dlc. We do know that current popularity doesn't mean much for being chosen for smash however.

Krystal was already considered a possible choice for a previous smash game. (can't remember which though.) At this point she may have or have not been chosen already, since Sakurai says that their choices have been confirmed far in advance for dlc.

I guess the final question is if Sakurai liked Krystal. Who knows if there will be even more dlc packs after this one?

Lenidem

Smash Lord
It's very reassuring to hear that Star Fox isn't being dropped any time soon. But that begs the question: what does that mean for Krystal?

Along with having fans wonder if she will even be seen again in the main series, she seems to mostly have been forgotten as even a thought for dlc. We do know that current popularity doesn't mean much for being chosen for smash however.

Krystal was already considered a possible choice for a previous smash game. (can't remember which though.) At this point she may have or have not been chosen already, since Sakurai says that their choices have been confirmed far in advance for dlc.

I guess the final question is if Sakurai liked Krystal. Who knows if there will be even more dlc packs after this one?
She was considered for Brawl, but Wolf was chosen instead due to him being easier to make.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It would be nice for them to stop remaking Star Fox 64 a thousand times and try to move on with the canon. That's been the primary reason Krystal has dropped off in popularity.
We can thank Miyamoto for that. We can also thank him for being partly responsible for the absence of K. Rool and the Kremlings not showing up in the mainline DKC games in the past 21 years and thank him for advicing the Paper Mario team to ditch the RPG mechanics in place with the Sticker Star/Color Splash picture ****.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We can thank Miyamoto for that. We can also thank him for being partly responsible for the absence of K. Rool and the Kremlings not showing up in the mainline DKC games in the past 21 years and thank him for advicing the Paper Mario team to ditch the RPG mechanics in place with the Sticker Star/Color Splash picture ****.
It something I call the George Lucas paradox where past a certain point, the more control they have the more poor decisions they'll make.

The changes that Fox wanted would have been terrible for A New Hope (including a very slow and dry edit of the film) but we all know what happened when George Lucas got big and people were more afraid to tell him when one of his ideas sucked.

Granted Miyamoto has not gone to nearly that level (yet?) but it's something to watch out for.

See also: JK Rowling's twitter changes.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Miyamoto didn't tell Retro not to use King K. Rool, Kensuke Tanabe did. Miyamoto actually told them to use Cranky.

(Also, Color Splash is actually pretty great!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom