• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yet they're fine with Kid Icarus getting three, and that series is even less relevant than Star Fox
It's really 2 characters and a half, honestly. Dark Pit is only a few statistical changes away from being a glorified alt costume of Pit.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I do wonder what they'll do for Krystal's costume if she's added.

Will they stick to the adventures design? Will they use one of the latter ones or will they do what they did with Roy and make a new look out of pieces of older ones?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I do wonder what they'll do for Krystal's costume if she's added.

Will they stick to the adventures design? Will they use one of the latter ones or will they do what they did with Roy and make a new look out of pieces of older ones?
I'm hoping they go with the Assault design as her default and the Adventures one as a alt.

Edit: Or make something new like you said. Probably fuse the Adventures, Assault, and Commend designs together for Krystal like they did with K. Rool. His design being a mix of the old Rareware design and the Paon design.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
In case anyone missed it, here's a fan animation from earlier this month by TheIronGauntlet.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It may not be much for now, but Star Fox 2 is being added to the Switch Online service next week, and even was mentioned as a classic in the same breathd as other older SNES and NES games.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_snes_and_nes_service_with_six_classic_games

The thing with Star Fox is that its games must stop bombing super-badly if Nintendo and the Smash devs must be encouraged to actually add more SF characters. Until then, having SF2 stand on its own merits outside of the SNES Mini should help to determine how well it will do among users.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It may not be much for now, but Star Fox 2 is being added to the Switch Online service next week, and even was mentioned as a classic in the same breathd as other older SNES and NES games.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_snes_and_nes_service_with_six_classic_games

The thing with Star Fox is that its games must stop bombing super-badly if Nintendo and the Smash devs must be encouraged to actually add more SF characters. Until then, having SF2 stand on its own merits outside of the SNES Mini should help to determine how well it will do among users.
Then Nintendo should hand it off to developers who know what to do with it. And keep Miyamoto away from the project. The series really needs new creative blood

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Then Nintendo should hand it off to developers who know what to do with it. And keep Miyamoto away from the project. The series really needs new creative blood
Exactly. Look at what wonders this appears to have done for Super Mario Odyssey and TLoZ: Breath of the Wild.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What I think Nintendo needs to do with the Star Fox franchise is stop rebooting it and making the same game la Star Fox(SNES), 64, Zero and make it more like Star Wars. Make the games more like Adventures but a balance of on foot missions, Arwing missions, and tank missions. Basically: Make Star Fox more of a adventurous series across the universe like Star Wars.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And when things do get going again, they need to stop doing large time jumps between missions. I seriously doubt they can live for 4 years at a time off one paycheck. Even if it is "WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!" levels of money.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They need to find a developer that manages to work. Rare, Bamco, Q Games, Platinum, Ubisoft, all of them have had bad luck for various reasons even when Nintendo were hands off. At this rate every dev company in the entire world will end up having to do their own take on Star Fox.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They need to find a developer that manages to work. Rare, Bamco, Q Games, Platinum, Ubisoft, all of them have had bad luck for various reasons even when Nintendo were hands off. At this rate every dev company in the entire world will end up having to do their own take on Star Fox.
We haven't seen Retro take the wheel yet. I think they could potentially bring the franchise back to it's glory days and bring something fresh to the series as well if Miyamoto doesn't get too nosey in the development process.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We haven't seen Retro take the wheel yet. I think they could potentially bring the franchise back to it's glory days and bring something fresh to the series as well if Miyamoto doesn't get too nosey in the development process.
And that's if they eventually put out Metroid Prime 4 and a new DKC first. We'd be lucky to get both before the end of the Switch's life cycle...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I worry Retro has been suffering a bad case of Magnum Opus poisoning.

Basically, you know when you try to write that novel that'll make you the best selling author but you can't get past the first chapter because you keep starting over? In most professionals that urge is wheedled out as they wouldn't be professionals otherwise but it can come back with a vengeance when they're working on what they think will be their greatest work. That's the reason Silicon Knights died such an undignified death.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Krystal, if not promoted this time, certainly has a better shot for Smash 6 IF the letter writing campaign and artbook have any effect. At least if Ridley is any indication.

Trying to think of things with a glass half full.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Krystal, if not promoted this time, certainly has a better shot for Smash 6 IF the letter writing campaign and artbook have any effect. At least if Ridley is any indication.

Trying to think of things with a glass half full.
I think our best miracle for Krystal to get into Smash is if there is a new Star Fox game down the road with Krystal in it and it is successful. Can't really tell you how likely that is, but to me that's our gal's best chance. Let's hope this somehow comes to fruition before Smash 6 starts development.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I think our best miracle for Krystal to get into Smash is if there is a new Star Fox game down the road with Krystal in it and it is successful. Can't really tell you how likely that is, but to me that's our gal's best chance. Let's hope this somehow comes to fruition before Smash 6 starts development.
Then I hope our letter writing campaign works

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I do think in Banjo's trailer or on one of the snapshots on the website that they should of had Krystal's AT somewhere, standing alongside the playable Rare crew. Kind of a waste not to utilize her, especially since she's here in her most Rare-est form possible.

Something like this:

(ignore the kcursed dixie mii)

Though now that I think about it, poor Klaptrap also gets excluded from these wholesome Rare Reunion images. He's a Rare character too damnit

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Isn't it super weird that there's a Dixie Kong hat and wig but not a costume?

I'm hoping they go with the Assault design as her default and the Adventures one as a alt
This is how I feel as well, but if the assist trophy is anything to go by, they'll probably do it the other way around.

I think they should let Namco take another crack at it. Star Fox Assault is ridiculously underrated, and definitely Krystal's most triumphant appearance to date.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If Krystal was playable in Smash, I'd imagine Sakurai would probably create an amalgation of all her past appearances, which is what, you know, he did with all the other playable SF reps.

I wouldn't say her using her Adventures design as an Assist Trophy means much. NPC character designs in Smash tend to be more simplier than playable ones, for obvious reasons. For example, Ridley in Brawl and Smash 4 (where he was just an non-playable boss) was based entirely on his Super Metroid and Other M appearances, respectively, while in Ultimate (where he's playable), he sports an entirely original design that takes elements from both. Likewise, K. Rool's Mii Fighter outfit is clearly based his Rareware era incarnation, but the actual playable character is more of an amalgation of his Paon and Rare designs.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Krystal was playable in Smash, I'd imagine Sakurai would probably create an amalgation of all her past appearances, which is what, you know, he did with all the other playable SF reps.

I wouldn't say her using her Adventures design as an Assist Trophy means much. NPC character designs in Smash tend to be more simplier than playable ones, for obvious reasons. For example, Ridley in Brawl and Smash 4 (where he was just an non-playable boss) was based entirely on his Super Metroid and Other M appearances, respectively, while in Ultimate (where he's playable), he sports an entirely original design that takes elements from both. Likewise, K. Rool's Mii Fighter outfit is clearly based his Rareware era incarnation, but the actual playable character is more of an amalgation of his Paon and Rare designs.
I could see them doing the same thing for Krystal when she becomes playable in where her design is a mix between her Assault, Adventures, and Commend designs.

Edit: Happy new years guys! Hopefully this is the decade our gal get's into Smash and returns to her franchise.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Did Sakurai do that? I thought the SF gang were based on Star Fox 64 in Smash 64 and Melee, Command in Brawl and Wii U/3DS, and Zero in Ultimate...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Did Sakurai do that? I thought the SF gang were based on Star Fox 64 in Smash 64 and Melee, Command in Brawl and Wii U/3DS, and Zero in Ultimate...
I don't know about the Star Fox characters but he did it with Ridley and K. Rool in Ultimate. Ridley's Ultimate design being a mix between his Super Metroid and Other M designs and K. Rool's Ultimate design being a mix between his Rare and Paon designs.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
EDIT: pretty much all the images i made were completely broken, WTF smashboards

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
But yes, here's the point I was trying to make.

starfoxcrew.png

You can see how the Star Fox characters in Brawl sort of use Command as the basis for their designs, but at the same time Sakurai took a lot of creative liberties as well, mixing in a few elements from their other appearances. It's not just their Command designs ported wholesale.

And when you look at Fox and Falco's Ultimate designs, you can see they're not 100% Zero. They're really just their old Brawl/Command selfs, just wearing their clothing from Zero (just compare Falco's beak designs to see my point). Then you have Wolf, who, outside of his head, has a completely original and different design from what he looked like in Zero.

So the point is, if Krystal were playable, she'd probably be given similar treatment, with a mostly new design that just takes elements from her game appearances. Kinda like what Smashified made.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But yes, here's the point I was trying to make.

View attachment 255502

You can see how the Star Fox characters in Brawl sort of use Command as the basis for their designs, but at the same time Sakurai took a lot of creative liberties as well, mixing in a few elements from their other appearances. It's not just their Command designs ported wholesale.

And when you look at Fox and Falco's Ultimate designs, you can see they're not 100% Zero. They're really just their old Brawl/Command selfs, just wearing their clothing from Zero (just compare Falco's beak designs to see my point). Then you have Wolf, who, outside of his head, has a completely original and different design from what he looked like in Zero.

So the point is, if Krystal were playable, she'd probably be given similar treatment, with a mostly new design that just takes elements from her game appearances. Kinda like what Smashified made.
Interesting. Like I mentioned before, Ridley's Ultimate design is a mix between his Super Metroid and Other M designs and K. Rool's Ultimate design is a mix between his Rare and Paon designs. I'm sure Krystal's playable Smash design would be a mix between Assault, Adventures, and Commends' designs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good news, everyone!

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-further-wii-u-ports-for-2020-claims-insider/

Nintendo is planning “at least” two Wii U ports for 2020, it’s been claimed.

According to noted Nintendo insider Emily Rogers – who has a strong record of leaking accurate Nintendo information – the two unannounced ports “are not difficult to guess because there aren’t many Wii U games left to port.”
Unless they have a fear of Zero bombing again, it should be one of those unannounced ports. I mean, even Tokyo Mirage Sessions has made the jump.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Didn't Star Fox Zero sold less than a million copies? Correct me if I'm wrong. It would be great for us if they ported that game to the Switch, but the low sales of it makes me question whether or not if Nintendo would be willing to port it over.
Again, TMS flopped, yet Atlus seemed to deem it worthy of a second chance. I guess we won't know until Star Fox 2 on the online service makes gangbusters, I guess.

If we don't see it, well, at least we'll get to see Wonderful 101. And Super Mario 3D World.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Good news, everyone!

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-further-wii-u-ports-for-2020-claims-insider/

Unless they have a fear of Zero bombing again, it should be one of those unannounced ports. I mean, even Tokyo Mirage Sessions has made the jump.
Well I'm glad that there will be two less titles left behind on the WiiU but what could they be?

Star Fox Zero would need to be reworked. Even if motion controls are mandatory still (because I wouldn't put it past Nintendo, they have a hard time comprehending that left handed people exist let alone that some people can't do full arm motions) they can alt least fix the targeting retical on the screen being deliberately terrible.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
One of the ports is obviously Super Mario 3D World, which is great news for me, since I'm apparently the only person on the planet who absolutely loved that game. (It's my second favorite Mario after Galaxy.)

Star Fox Zero would probably do well if Nintendo makes it very clear that you can play with traditional controls now.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Good news, everyone!

Those unannounced ports Emily is talking about are most likely Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World.

There really isn't a point to bring over Zero, honestly. Its reputation is far worse than most other Wii U Nintendo games and the Gamepad is heavily integrel to its gameplay/design.

It'd be a better idea to just cut our losses and make an all new better Star Fox game for Switch.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One of the ports is obviously Super Mario 3D World, which is great news for me, since I'm apparently the only person on the planet who absolutely loved that game. (It's my second favorite Mario after Galaxy.)
And I'm one of the few people on the planet that didn't get to play it on console, so this is advantageous.

They'll want to focus on Pikmin 4, let's not kid ourselves. Imagine the second game being Rainbow Curse, with no new Kirby games currently slated for this year.

It'd be a better idea to just cut our losses and make an all new better Star Fox game for Switch.
Assuming that one won't bomb, too.

That said, I've had a thought upon watching a recent Canadian Guy Eh video; what if they ended up doing what the N. Sane Trilogy did and just literally remake the two SNES games, with added bells and whistles? Yes, I know that you guys want Nintendo to actually move on with nothing wrong happening this time, but there needs to be a fresh start in earnest this time. VC ports can only take the series so far.

Also, GOW artist did these:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ning_incredibly_realistic_star_fox_characters

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And I'm one of the few people on the planet that didn't get to play it on console, so this is advantageous.
SM3DW was a pretty fun game especially when playing with other people so you'll probably like it.

Assuming that one won't bomb, too.

That said, I've had a thought upon watching a recent Canadian Guy Eh video; what if they ended up doing what the N. Sane Trilogy did and just literally remake the two SNES games, with added bells and whistles? Yes, I know that you guys want Nintendo to actually move on with nothing wrong happening this time, but there needs to be a fresh start in earnest this time. VC ports can only take the series so far.
So the video with Canadian Guy interviewing Gregg Mayles about Banjo-Threeie is already up? I gotta go see this.

Top Bottom