• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Assault is my personal favorite, but I don't think she'd get one, would likely have her most recent addition and her first rendition for nostalgia purposes, assault would be inbetween, it will likely have a palette but that's about it.
Hm, perhaps, though I suppose her GP appearance would be based off of her Assault appearance

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Piranha plant has once again shown us that we know nothing about Sakurai's mind and that fan-made rules are a loosing battle.

Maybe an Assist Trophy promotion isn't impossible after all.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Well Piranha plant has once again shown us that we know nothing about Sakurai's mind and that fan-made rules are a loosing battle.

Maybe an Assist Trophy promotion isn't impossible after all.
I hate to use the phrase "Never give up. Trust your instincts." because it's so banal and overused, but that mantra actually does speak to the speculative community in this period of uncertainty and desperation. I wouldn't blame any of you for mobilizing a separate movement to get the assist promoted. The concept hasn't been ruled out, but isn't it nice to see Krystal front and center of the AT pack, ready to be lodged squarely into the conscious of item users everywhere as a potential fighter? This was actually the next best thing to happen for her. If nothing else, we can be pleased with the advertisement she's getting for the next sequel, and she'll need it with the drastic roster cuts and heavy competition that'll come with a new game on a different engine.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I hate to use the phrase "Never give up. Trust your instincts." because it's so banal and overused, but that mantra actually does speak to the speculative community in this period of uncertainty and desperation. I wouldn't blame any of you for mobilizing a separate movement to get the assist promoted. The concept hasn't been ruled out, but isn't it nice to see Krystal front and center of the AT pack, ready to be lodged squarely into the conscious of item users everywhere as a potential fighter? This was actually the next best thing to happen for her. If nothing else, we can be pleased with the advertisement she's getting for the next sequel, and she'll need it with the drastic roster cuts and heavy competition that'll come with a new game on a different engine.
Yea even after the last bout of assist trophies she's still top and center on the page, and I still think that's pretty neat, It'd be cool if you could manage drop bias of assist trophies and pokeball pokemon but the game is still incredible as is. I'd still say her chance stands even with her being AT for a promotion. Vergeben is slaying it with his accuracy so I feel like she's due for a popularity boost soon enough. Unless she's not in GP, which would be ridiculous. I can say with considerable confidence that she won't be in the first cycle.

Honestly I haven't a clue how they'd manage the next game, all I can say is ultimate has spoiled us all, that's for sure.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yea even after the last bout of assist trophies she's still top and center on the page, and I still think that's pretty neat, It'd be cool if you could manage drop bias of assist trophies and pokeball pokemon but the game is still incredible as is. I'd still say her chance stands even with her being AT for a promotion. Vergeben is slaying it with his accuracy so I feel like she's due for a popularity boost soon enough. Unless she's not in GP, which would be ridiculous. I can say with considerable confidence that she won't be in the first cycle.

Honestly I haven't a clue how they'd manage the next game, all I can say is ultimate has spoiled us all, that's for sure.
Honestly, I think the next game would be a port for the Switch 2 and some Assist Trophies (Maybe Gardevoir too) shuffled around into playable. I don't think Nintendo will go 4K for at a good long while so we don't have to worry about dem graphixs too much.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think the next game would be a port for the Switch 2 and some Assist Trophies (Maybe Gardevoir too) shuffled around into playable. I don't think Nintendo will go 4K for at a good long while so we don't have to worry about dem graphixs too much.
Though Krystal probably would get new attires and probably would be popular enough to warrant a newcomer trailer

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Hmmm... so who's Nintendo gonna be pushing? And what 3rd parties are in good with Nintendo ATM?

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203

I feel like these tweets by Sakurai were unnecessary IMO.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I don't like this, I knew this was a considerable possibility in my heart, but now I see it plainly before me as he stated. This means the character choices are going to be mostly advertisement fodder and other cash cows, which is disastrous for her chances as a playable fighter, and for all fan favorite character choices if the second cycle is done this way as well. They've gone full circle, DLC was just haphazardly created before, but now it really is very meticulously created. This could well be the end of her chance to be playable in smash brothers.

Still, I'm convinced GP is real, it's possible we could see it on the 8th direct, or whenever the regular november direct airs, as it would likely be the first time to see 2019 announcements, but I wouldn't be too surprised if we didn't see it, as it'll likely focus on year end stuff. I don't see nintendo presenting her as a choice, but that doesn't mean it won't happen, we'll find out what happens as this game pans out.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Assist Trophies won't upgrade, I think. It'd have to be a different iteration of the character (older Isaac, for example).

Mind on who's in has definitely changed after seeing Sakurai's tweet. I actually think Bandana Waddle Dee's chances are lowered.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I don't like this, I knew this was a considerable possibility in my heart, but now I see it plainly before me as he stated. This means the character choices are going to be mostly advertisement fodder and other cash cows, which is disastrous for her chances as a playable fighter, and for all fan favorite character choices if the second cycle is done this way as well. They've gone full circle, DLC was just haphazardly created before, but now it really is very meticulously created. This could well be the end of her chance to be playable in smash brothers.

Still, I'm convinced GP is real, it's possible we could see it on the 8th direct, or whenever the regular november direct airs, as it would likely be the first time to see 2019 announcements, but I wouldn't be too surprised if we didn't see it, as it'll likely focus on year end stuff. I don't see nintendo presenting her as a choice, but that doesn't mean it won't happen, we'll find out what happens as this game pans out.
She may have a better shot next time, since there will be another Smash game, but the biggest thing that hurt her is lack of recency, and if she appears in the next Star Fox game, her chances to be playable in Smash 6 increase significantly.

She may have a better shot next time, since there will be another Smash game, but the biggest thing that hurt her is lack of recency, and if she appears in the next Star Fox game, her chances to be playable in Smash 6 increase significantly.

Assist Trophies won't upgrade, I think. It'd have to be a different iteration of the character (older Isaac, for example).

Mind on who's in has definitely changed after seeing Sakurai's tweet. I actually think Bandana Waddle Dee's chances are lowered.
What about Assault Krystal then?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The important thing about Assist Trophies is that they're visually distinct or else aren't on screen long enough to confuse people.

There's Piranha Plants on the Mushroom Kingdom Stage but they're sprites so would never confuse them with the playable one.

I'm thinking Krystal could run a combination of her staff and Star Fox tech and either wear her Star Fox Assault outfit or they give her attire the Star Fox Zero treatment.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203

You gotta remember that Nintendo loves reviving old franchises/characters. So I think it’s safe to say that we may have at least 1or 2 first party characters as DLC before Nintendo flexes its friendship muscle to Microsoft, Square Enix, etc. Also why are you assuming that there’s going to be a second cycle of DLC?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
You gotta remember that Nintendo loves reviving old franchises/characters. So I think it’s safe to say that we may have at least 1or 2 first party characters as DLC before Nintendo flexes its friendship muscle to Microsoft, Square Enix, etc. Also why are you assuming that there’s going to be a second cycle of DLC?
Considering Nintendo probably will support this Smash game for a while, it's not impossible, especially considering how common it is in fighting games nowadays

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
] Also why are you assuming that there’s going to be a second cycle of DLC?
In a world after Killer Instinct 2013 and Street Fighter V people are taking the notion for granted.

I have my doubts but it would be nice.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Vergeben is fairly certain that the first character we're getting is the square rep, also there's hardly reason not too, firstly the president's obsession with DLC, secondly this setup reminds alot of FighterZ which is about to get it's second cycle of DLC itself (might already be getting it I don't really play it anymore), Smash is fierce and people will love and play this smash for a long time, there's no logical reason not to continue to cash in on the sweet DLC tree, as I bet they can show a good retention rate, unless the characters are really as awful as they seem to be, which could hinder that, they seem unafraid of bottom of barrel so they aren't going to run out of characters to chose from. This is going to be a money maker for nintendo for a bit, this game should have the most official support of any smash game, and DLC is one of the ways they do that. I'd say bank on Krystal's chance for the second cycle as I feel as though it would be more friendly to her chances, as there's currently no reason for them to get her to be playable, and I feel that it won't be so "carefully" chosen. They want to support the switch for a decade, even integrate the damn thing into a theme park and Smash is a big core game for the console, we don't get more than one per console unlike there other sellers. The biggest thing people clamor over are characters, Sakurai is well aware of what people want, my fear is that Nintendo doesn't.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Vergeben is fairly certain that the first character we're getting is the square rep, also there's hardly reason not too, firstly the president's obsession with DLC, secondly this setup reminds alot of FighterZ which is about to get it's second cycle of DLC itself (might already be getting it I don't really play it anymore), Smash is fierce and people will love and play this smash for a long time, there's no logical reason not to continue to cash in on the sweet DLC tree, as I bet they can show a good retention rate, unless the characters are really as awful as they seem to be, which could hinder that, they seem unafraid of bottom of barrel so they aren't going to run out of characters to chose from. This is going to be a money maker for nintendo for a bit, this game should have the most official support of any smash game, and DLC is one of the ways they do that. I'd say bank on Krystal's chance for the second cycle as I feel as though it would be more friendly to her chances, as there's currently no reason for them to get her to be playable, and I feel that it won't be so "carefully" chosen. They want to support the switch for a decade, even integrate the damn thing into a theme park and Smash is a big core game for the console, we don't get more than one per console unlike there other sellers. The biggest thing people clamor over are characters, Sakurai is well aware of what people want, my fear is that Nintendo doesn't.
Fair enough. As for the Vergeben leak I’m taking that with grain of salt because a 3rd party character being pushed out first seems silly to me. I mean with all the money and paperwork loops Nintendo would have to jump through to get rights to said 3rd party characters it doesn’t make sense to me. However, given that several of Square Enix titles are popping up on the Switch in the upcoming year I could be wrong.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Fair enough. As for the Vergeben leak I’m taking that with grain of salt because a 3rd party character being pushed out first seems silly to me. I mean with all the money and paperwork loops Nintendo would have to jump through to get rights to said 3rd party characters it doesn’t make sense to me. However, given that several of Square Enix titles are popping up on the Switch in the upcoming year I could be wrong.
My personal theory on that is there was meant ot be 70 numbered characters on the starter roster but Square held it back because they love them some DLC monies, especially after they conceded Cloud for the sake of "everyone is here".

As for a Season 2, we have to wait until Character no. 75 where Sakurai will either say "but wait there's more!" or "I'm off to bed now, goodnight" and falls asleep right there as the camera lingers on him for too long.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
I don’t know if this means much for Krystal’s chance at being a possible DLC character, but I’ve comparing Assist Trophy blogs put up by Nintendo Versus on Twitter and I found that Krystal’s blog post
E75CBD89-89F5-4FCD-B939-25416BE0748A.png

seems to have more attention to it then other Assist Trophy posts that Nintendo Versus has put up on Twitter. I know I’m grasping at straws here, but Nintendo could of possibly looked at this kind of stuff to determine what 5 characters they wanted as Smash Ultimate DLC.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I don’t know if this means much for Krystal’s chance at being a possible DLC character, but I’ve comparing Assist Trophy blogs put up by Nintendo Versus on Twitter and I found that Krystal’s blog postView attachment 176610
seems to have more attention to it then other Assist Trophy posts that Nintendo Versus has put up on Twitter. I know I’m grasping at straws here, but Nintendo could of possibly looked at this kind of stuff to determine what 5 characters they wanted as Smash Ultimate DLC.
Not holding my breath for it, but it would be nice if true

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I don’t know if this means much for Krystal’s chance at being a possible DLC character, but I’ve comparing Assist Trophy blogs put up by Nintendo Versus on Twitter and I found that Krystal’s blog postView attachment 176610
Krystal Facebook Post.png
She also received the highest attention on facebook, barring like K rool, and considerably more than other assist trophies. She must really be the most popular assist trophy, It's kinda odd that she was relegated to an NPC when she was a popular contender, sure Rool is more popular considerably but he's no less irrelevant, being gone as long as she was. But all the better for her chance in the second cycle. This feedback is considered but I highly doubt it had any consideration with this obviously pre-planned DLC, I mean sakurai came out and said they already chose everyone. which was pretty obvious.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
View attachment 176678
She also received the highest attention on facebook, barring like K rool, and considerably more than other assist trophies. She must really be the most popular assist trophy, It's kinda odd that she was relegated to an NPC when she was a popular contender, sure Rool is more popular considerably but he's no less irrelevant, being gone as long as she was. But all the better for her chance in the second cycle. This feedback is considered but I highly doubt it had any consideration with this obviously pre-planned DLC, I mean sakurai came out and said they already chose everyone. which was pretty obvious.
Especially if there's a new Star Fox game coming out in 2020, Krystal would be great promotion for it too

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
View attachment 176678
Last time I voted for K. Rool and I'm so happy he's in. If we get another Smash Ballot, I'm voting for our girl Krystal for sure next time.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Last time I voted for K. Rool and I'm so happy he's in. If we get another Smash Ballot, I'm voting for our girl Krystal for sure next time.
I'm actually pretty happy for K Rool fans, He's basically the only character that I feel needed to be in smash, had the popularity and had the kit potential, I feel like he's DK's villain, like a bunch of others and he's a great fit amongst the other heavyweight antagonists. I can't say the same for our resident 16 foot dragon relegated to a hunched up ******, but that's what everyone asked for so eh. Despite this, his kit is very representative of ridley Seeing as he is metroid's villain aswell, DS makes perfect sense for an echo so he's kinda necessary. Though they have Wolf being starfox's enemy, despite being a semi-clone and an anti-hero, but andross would be odd as a fighter so here we are. (that didn't stop piranha plant so... I guess I don't have anything)

Especially if there's a new Star Fox game coming out in 2020, Krystal would be great promotion for it too
I'd hope it'd be out by mid/late 2019, but with the way DLC is starting off I'd say we might not even get characters people want, so who knows who we'd get for GP, if anything, we didn't even get Wolf back from Zero, which is just weird.

StormC

Smash Hero
Though they have Wolf being starfox's enemy, despite being a semi-clone and an anti-hero
I mean... Wolf has more roles as an outright villain these days than as an uneasy ally, thanks to Star Fox Zero and Star Fox 2.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean... Wolf has more roles as an outright villain these days than as an uneasy ally, thanks to Star Fox Zero and Star Fox 2.
Speaking of the latter, if Smash 6 does get new Star Fox characters, I could see them add Miyu (since she's closer to :ultfalco:in terms of attitude and is the most likely to make playable rather than Fay), thanks to SF2/SNES Mini's success. Having both her and Krystal would be the best preferred scenario, though.

Also, nice sig there.

As for a Season 2, we have to wait until Character no. 75 where Sakurai will either say "but wait there's more!" or "I'm off to bed now, goodnight" and falls asleep right there as the camera lingers on him for too long.
Yeah, the final DLC reveal is the determining factor. While the fighter pass isn't referred to as a season, we don't know if we'll have a second one until that D-Day happens.

Wouldn't mind seeing the latter scenario happen though, if only for chuckles. :laugh:

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just feel like if Krystal isn't playable in Smash next time around, then she never will be
That's the way I feel about her chances as well. We got to start campaigning for her ahead of time in case there is another Smash Ballot. We got to save her and get her completely out of Nintendo's basement just like how we did with K. Rool. ;)

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
That's true, most of my headcanons are connected to SF assault, but his 64 rendition and by extension Zero is more iconic.

Speaking of the latter, if Smash 6 does get new Star Fox characters, I could see them add Miyu (since she's closer to :ultfalco:in terms of attitude and is the most likely to make playable rather than Fay), thanks to SF2/SNES Mini's success. Having both her and Krystal would be the best preferred scenario, though.

Also, nice sig there.

Yeah, the final DLC reveal is the determining factor. While the fighter pass isn't referred to as a season, we don't know if we'll have a second one until that D-Day happens.

Wouldn't mind seeing the latter scenario happen though, if only for chuckles. :laugh:
Sorry to be that guy in advance, but give me a single reason why Miyu or Fay, or infact any other SF character should be playable? Let's say Miyu was popular enough, what would she do? would she really be the 3rd fox clone? even if she was, what would she do differently? would she just be a fox echo? Her ship is an interceptor, which are fast and fragile which is already fox, and being a lynx doesn't really give any fancy characteristics to derive from like falco, and wolf already uses claws. She barely even exists for the SF timeline in general.

That's the way I feel about her chances as well. We got to start campaigning for her ahead of time in case there is another Smash Ballot. We got to save her and get her completely out of Nintendo's basement just like how we did with K. Rool. ;)
Hell, I wish we had their numbers, Rool had a huge amount of support, especially on reddit, but across the other discussion sites he was huge. Hopefully we won't need too, but we unfortunately still have to wait for the damn game to show up. I'm hoping it'll show this year but at this rate it'll probably be next year before we hear about it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sorry to be that guy in advance, but give me a single reason why Miyu or Fay, or infact any other SF character should be playable? Let's say Miyu was popular enough, what would she do? would she really be the 3rd fox clone? even if she was, what would she do differently? would she just be a fox echo? Her ship is an interceptor, which are fast and fragile which is already fox, and being a lynx doesn't really give any fancy characteristics to derive from like falco, and wolf already uses claws. She barely even exists for the SF timeline in general.
Would serve as a convenient Echo.

Besides, seeing as Krystal isn't appearing in anything recently, there aren't too many options, seeing as Leon, Peppy and Slippy conspicuously keep being ignored. Otherwise, Star Fox is stuck in the same position as Kirby.

Although Krystal having K. Rool's amount of support would be nice, there is the unfortunate double-standard that she'd be seen as getting support not because of fan love, but furries/being horny, never mind her divisive reception in the Star Fox fanbase itself. So it's an uphill battle. :ohwell:

Still unsure how one would go on about this. Although last I checked the Lip thread, they have a petition set up, so that could be a start.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Besides, seeing as Krystal isn't appearing in anything recently, there aren't too many options, seeing as Leon, Peppy and Slippy conspicuously keep being ignored. Otherwise, Star Fox is stuck in the same position as Kirby.
Honestly, the Kirby franchise is in a better position to get a new fighter because of Bandana Dee being very likely to be one of the 5 DLC characters. Kirby also has a ton more options to choose from than Star Fox does when it cames to characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, the Kirby franchise is in a better position to get a new fighter because of Bandana Dee being very likely to be one of the 5 DLC characters. Kirby also has a ton more options to choose from than Star Fox does when it cames to characters.
Yeah, just meant in terms of character amount. The only reason Kirby's not getting anything else is some sort of reluctance.

In a way, their situations are exact opposites of each other; SF currently isn't seen as justified enough to get anything new yet, while Kirby has nothing new despite having every reason to (regardless whether or not fans think anyone beyond the core trio is C-listers).

In the meantime, Krystal as an AT is still a step up from being a trophy. Just gotta make sure she isn't cut out.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Hell, I wish we had their numbers, Rool had a huge amount of support, especially on reddit, but across the other discussion sites he was huge. Hopefully we won't need too, but we unfortunately still have to wait for the damn game to show up. I'm hoping it'll show this year but at this rate it'll probably be next year before we hear about it.
I guess they're saving the announcement until after Starlink finishes selling its copies, because Retro steals the spotlight whenever it breathes on a Nintendo IP. As optimistic as it sounds, a reveal at the video game awards this December may be our best chance to learn anything before the end of the year.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Let's also not forget StarLink: Battle for Atlas.

While I still support Krystal (always have) I don't think she's gonna get promoted from assist trophy or any character for that matter. Granted, I'd LOVE to be wrong as her, Dixie, and Rool were the 3 characters I heavily supported/voted for in the Ballot. Obviously Rool took priority for me (favorite Nintendo villain as well as character afterall) Dixie and Krystal got a fair share of my support as well. Guess I'm just a sucker for Rare developed Nintendo characters. :laugh:

Top Bottom