• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

PF9

Smash Lord
Now more than ever, we need an Assist Trophy Switch in Smash Ultimate. That way we can turn Krystal off because seeing her appear out of one will just be a reminder of what could have been.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
I really want a Krystal Amiibo.... A legit one, not a fan made one. (Even though some are awesome.)
Would a Krystal amiibo like this be of your interests? I did not make this drawing btw. A person I knew on Miiverse(and still stay in touch with on my Switch)when it still existed drew this.
05BEC215-20B1-467E-93ED-1A3283F31CC1.jpeg

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Would a Krystal amiibo like this be of your interests? I did not make this drawing btw. A person I knew on Miiverse(and still stay in touch with on my Switch)when it still existed drew this.
View attachment 159456
Nah... I'm not that desperate for one. But thanks though for the offer. It's mainly me grumbling of what could of have happen.

Hope there is a mode where you can test out all the AT and choose which one to come out. I want to see the ATs with the dodge ability, to see how far away they where for being playable.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
I've supported Krystal being playable in Smash since the Melee days, so this appearance is a long time coming for me, even as an AT. She doesn't have to be an echo or anything, there are so many options they can use with that spear to make her completely unique.

Nintendo fans have an extremely long memory, they've certainly proven that over the years, especially when another Smash is around the corner. I actually really liked Star Fox Adventures, but even through the negativity people have towards it, it's good to see she's still a popular character. I think the AT is Sakurai's way of saying "we tried" to some extent, so I can definitely see her inclusion happening in a future entry. I'm just glad she's in at all, because that gets people talking again!

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
Shame - missed our chance this time around. Still, some moveset ideas (A moves would be the staff ones)

• B: Ice Blaster: Short range cone of frost, like fire breath, but less damage. Slows down 7% for every 1% damage inflicted; can get fully frozen like the icicle item. Like Bowser's fire breath, loses potency over time.
  • Side B: Gatling gun. Shoots lasers like Fox, but a lot more spread and automatic. Slows down over time, but can be held regardless. Shots bounce around interior of bubble shield.
  • Up B: Krystal slams her staff into the ground, after which it lifts off at a ~70 degree angle. Not especially fast, but decent (if not amazing) height. Causes an explosion where it takes off from, and directly underneath meteors.
  • Down B: Barrier Shield. Classic anti-projectile bubble shield; absorbs up to 30 damage or lasts for 10 seconds. Only 1 out at a time, with same health. Once broken, heals 3 health be second in the background and can't be used for another 5. While out and after not being hit for 5 seconds, also gains 3 health back per second. Down B again to put away when over transmitter. Does nothing to stop non-projectile attacks or movement.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
ArcaneKitsune ArcaneKitsune
J JV_Nerdson

Nintendo does not allow fan games like Super Smash Flash 2 to roam about, they'll soon tell the creator to stop production on it soon.
What they don't allow is the actual source assets to be rotated, smash flash 2 has existed for quite sometime, since 2007 infact, SSF2 has been famous for a bit too, the game even has online play, if they were going to hit SSF2, they would have done it by now, AM2R was shutdown because it used MZM assets, and because it could theoretically compete with Samus Returns, the same reason nintendo shot down emuparadise, as it could interfere with the switches online service, the time to shut it down has almost certainly passed, sure I think there's a couple months possibly left if they were concerned about it, but I wouldn't concern yourself with that, just because of nintendo's draconic anti-fangame policy, they're concerned with the fans themselves, and hitting a harmless fangame seems pointless, Smash Ultimate is untouchable by comparison.

Last edited:

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
You guys think we could still get her into Starlink via DLC? I mean, if we make enough noise, it should be a more realistic goal than getting her AT upgraded to playable. In fact, if she makes it in Starlink (or any other SF-related title for that matter), her chances for Smash will improve as well. Right now, we should really focus on SF again. I have already started by sending an email to Ubisoft Toronto regarding Krystal in Starlink (no response, as expected, but they certainly saw it). I'm also tweeting to NoA about Krystal in SF, including #Krystal4StarlinkDLC. The Starlink account even liked one of my tweets. Finally, I've decided to send Nintendo an actual letter, just like Gagnetar Gagnetar did last year. I hope others will do the same. It's not expensive and it doesn't take much time, but it might have a big impact. Imagine if Nintendo got multiple letters on this subject. That will leave an impression, for sure. We can't get complacent, folks. I mean, you know me: I'm definitely not one of those "Nintendo has retconned her" people, but I also don't want to wait much longer to finally see her make a comeback. They aren't retconning her, but they are certainly avoiding her. This time, they didn't really have a reason to keep her out. Starlink is a crossover where everyone can appear, technically. Considering that this collaboration came about around the same time SF2 was announced, they could have even included Miyu & Fay. It could've been a great way to test certain things, and see how the SF fanbase reacts. But instead, it looks like they still want to promote the already dead SF Zero. Of course, we also have SF GP, but we still don't know if it's actually real. I think it's time to switch from "Smash mode" to "SF mode". Actually, we can have both going, but right now, SF should be our number one priority. At least that's how I see it.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Holy wall of text. It would help spread more awareness of Krystal around, but I don't think they would add her for Starlink.

To me, they are going right after Star Fox Zero timeline, and Peppy hasn't hanged up his wings yet to be the teams advisor for them. They haven't save Saruria and recruiting Krystal to the team.

Last edited:

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
Holy wall of text. It would help spread more awareness of Krystal around, but I don't think they would add her for Starlink.
We have to try at least. Showing support is never a bad thing.

To me, they are going right after Star Fox Zero timeline, and Peppy hasn't hanged up his wings yet to be the teams advisor for them. They haven't save Saruria and recruiting Krystal to the team.
We still have no official confirmation that Zero has its own timeline. And even if it does, it shouldn't matter too much here. In a crossover that doesn't influence SF's canon, they wouldn't need to worry about timeline and such. If that were the case, we would see an 11-year-old Krystal in Smash Ultimate, because that's her age during the events of SF Zero, which Smash Ultimate apparently focuses on. They could include all the SF characters in Starlink, and people probably wouldn't care too much about timeline and canon, except for the hardcore Krystal haters. In fact, I think many people would love to see the entire team together again. A crossover would be the perfect opportunity for that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Although Krystal isn't in Starlink, figured I'd share this little snippet from GamesCon.

The Star Fox crew looks fantastic. Currently the game I'm most excited for this year.
Beat me to the punch. :p

Depending on how well the game does, this bodes well for Fox and crew's continued future in Smash Bros.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Was making some 'promotional' material for Slippy and Peppy, but couldn't leave Krystal out even though she's deconfirmed. Was wanting to make two, one with her Smashified art, and one in her Adventures/Smash attire, but couldn't find a render large enough to look uniform with the rest. The stock icons were originally made by another user in the Newcomer Icons thread, but I went in and altered it to make it look more uniform with the existing Star Fox casts' stock icons.

Although she may not be playable in Smash, I still have hope that our support for her will get her noticed by Nintendo, and brought back in a future Star Fox game. I'm confident that we won't see her in Starlink: Battle for Atlas, with the most likely reference being talk of 'something big happening with Sauria/Dinosaur Planet' after the Star Fox quest line finishes. Suggesting that the events of Adventures may happen once the team get back to the Lylat System. Don't think we'll be seeing that either, if I'm to be honest, but would be cool nonetheless. Maybe we could get a hint towards an actual in-development title?

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Was making some 'promotional' material for Slippy and Peppy, but couldn't leave Krystal out even though she's deconfirmed. Was wanting to make two, one with her Smashified art, and one in her Adventures/Smash attire, but couldn't find a render large enough to look uniform with the rest. The stock icons were originally made by another user in the Newcomer Icons thread, but I went in and altered it to make it look more uniform with the existing Star Fox casts' stock icons.

Although she may not be playable in Smash, I still have hope that our support for her will get her noticed by Nintendo, and brought back in a future Star Fox game. I'm confident that we won't see her in Starlink: Battle for Atlas, with the most likely reference being talk of 'something big happening with Sauria/Dinosaur Planet' after the Star Fox quest line finishes. Suggesting that the events of Adventures may happen once the team get back to the Lylat System. Don't think we'll be seeing that either, if I'm to be honest, but would be cool nonetheless. Maybe we could get a hint towards an actual in-development title?
Seeing Krystal at the top of the Assist Trophy list on Ultimate’s main website is such a big tease. It’s obvious Sakurai knows how much we want our favorite blue vixen playable, but yet he still keeps her just out of reach. However, with Krystal at the top of the Assist list. It makes me wonder if Sakurai is possibly hinting something. Knowing him it could be anything, but a man can dream right?

TheSoraKid

Banned via Warnings
@Gagnestar
"Blah Blah Blah, Nintendo can't take down assets and sources not their own, Yadda yadda yadda." It's still their IP, good people. Nintendo could likely force the game to stop production when Smash Ultimate draws closer to release date. Haven't y'all on this site and anywhere who has the galls to play fan games even considered any of this? :surprised:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
@Gagnestar
"Blah Blah Blah, Nintendo can't take down assets and sources not their own, Yadda yadda yadda." It's still their IP, good people. Nintendo could likely force the game to stop production when Smash Ultimate draws closer to release date. Haven't y'all on this site and anywhere who has the galls to play fan games even considered any of this? :surprised:
It's always a possibility, which is why you should enjoy these games while you can. You can't control whether Nintendo takes it down or not, so why worry about it? I can't wait to play the next update, but I'm a little surprised they went the hybrid spacie route with the sniper rifle, grenades and all that.

PF9

Smash Lord
Alright, Wolf as I recall was not a heavily requested character for Brawl unlike Krystal and so his fanbase didn't exist (and with it, his requests for him to return in later games) until after the game came out, in contrast, Krystal was heavily requested for Brawl, and her fanbase probably existed before the game was even announced. So having her absent from three straight Smash games while Wolf being in two of them has been a real slap in the face to her fans, who have been around longer than Wolf's.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Alright, Wolf as I recall was not a heavily requested character for Brawl unlike Krystal and so his fanbase didn't exist (and with it, his requests for him to return in later games) until after the game came out, in contrast, Krystal was heavily requested for Brawl, and her fanbase probably existed before the game was even announced. So having her absent from three straight Smash games while Wolf being in two of them has been a real slap in the face to her fans, who have been around longer than Wolf's.
That's not really true, sakurai himself said wolf was popular, whether he was more or less popular than krystal is up for debate. Regardless, even if wolf hadn't gotten in, krystal wouldn't either since she'd take longer to develop

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
I still believe we need to do something about Krystal. Something productive with her. Hoping to possible change her fate nicely. Show that she is still a beloved Star Fox member. Just anything.... I really don't want a King K. Rool incident where she disappears for 10 years....

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I still believe we need to do something about Krystal. Something productive with her. Hoping to possible change her fate nicely. Show that she is still a beloved Star Fox member. Just anything.... I really don't want a King K. Rool incident where she disappears for 10 years....
Not sure there's much we can do except be vocal about our love for the character, but ultimately her fate is up to nintendo, miyamoto and whoever else develops the next star fox, if there even is a next star fox.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not sure there's much we can do except be vocal about our love for the character, but ultimately her fate is up to nintendo, miyamoto and whoever else develops the next star fox, if there even is a next star fox.
At this point, the best thing to do would be to do like the Crash and Spyro fanbases, and support her alongside the SF2 girls, and emphasize how she can have a more unique moveset compared to the two. On the bright side, unlike the whole Ashley situation, Star Fox has fewer characters overall. Then there's the fact that ATs can and have been promoted twice so far, which can be pointed out to Nintendo and Sakurai.

If all else fails, one can always simply say to Nintendo "please don't mess up this next SF game in some way".

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Considering there hasn’t been any new SF content revealed for Ultimate yet(besides Wolf returning and Krystal AT). I wouldn’t be surprised if Sakurai is holding it back until later like what happened for Smash Wii U/3ds with the Orbital Assault stage. Grasping at straws I know, but with Krystal on the top of the list of ATs on the main website plus the lack of a new SF stage of any sort makes me believe that our favorite blue vixen could possibly still see the light of day yet. Here’s to hoping for an SF: Adventures stage with Krystal character reveal.

StormC

Smash Hero
Optimistically speaking, I could see the next Smash game focusing on characters that "missed out" last time. Krystal, Bomberman, Ashley, Captain Toad...

But who knows how far off that will be and what the game will even look like. I won't have much interest in it if they cut characters.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
That's not really true, sakurai himself said wolf was popular, whether he was more or less popular than krystal is up for debate. Regardless, even if wolf hadn't gotten in, krystal wouldn't either since she'd take longer to develop
the latter is certainly true, though I'd have to agree with PF9, Krystal was definitely the forerunner Starfox request over wolf, and even sourcegaming documented how everyone was upset it was Wolf when he was released, yet when everyone played him, his frankenstein kit won people over, Krystal was ignored in favor of 64 styled games and she just started fading away. That's not to say Wolf isn't popular, because he was, and certainly is now.

Optimistically speaking, I could see the next Smash game focusing on characters that "missed out" last time. Krystal, Bomberman, Ashley, Captain Toad...

But who knows how far off that will be and what the game will even look like. I won't have much interest in it if they cut characters.
I don't really share that optimism, if she doesn't make DLC in this smash it's almost certain she will never be playable in smash, the only conceivable way after would be if they were able to pull even bigger strings, (likely ropes even) to bring namco back AGAIN to work on smash, not improving near anything, just adding more characters. Sakurai is even concerned about the next title, for the same reasons we are. Because we've been spoiled with Ultimate.

Still for every character that gets in smash, plenty are left in the shadow, atleast we got her an assist trophy if all else fails. I hear everyone is thinking a direct is gonna show up again soon, dunno why we've been getting so many, perhaps GP will show up there, if not, there's always later.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! Long time no see! I’ve not posted here in a while, because I have been quite busy trying to find the best approach to support Krystal moving forward. Obviously sites like twitter/Facebook/reddit will generate necessary buzz needed to get nintendo to notice. I have been on all of those posting support on occasion. If you haven’t already been doing this try to sometimes, it always helps in some way.

I recently handwrote a letter to Nintendo about Krystal, this letter was akin to gagnetar’s letter last year addressing the fan demand to see her again, I addressed many points, one of them being her assist trophy and how thankful we were to see her again as well as being hopeful that she becomes a playable fighter soon. I tackled many more points than this obviously since my letter actually ended up being 14 pages long(double spaced because my writing is terrible and that at least makes it look a little nicer), including fanarts I had commissioned this year of her.

I have 6 confirmed letters of 10 in progress going to nintendo as I write this post. One of these letters was from our very own mrbrownstone from here. Mine is getting there today. If anyone else here would like to add to this effort message me in private messages on here so I can get an overall headcount for how many letters we will end up having in total. It will look very good if we have a bunch of handwritten letters about Krystal going in to nintendo America around the same time showing unity.

Thank you.

Don’t laugh at my writing! It’s awful I know lol!
Edit - I also got the zip-code for the Consumer Service Department wrong on my letter and had to fix that at the post office, haha. it is 98073.

Attachments

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I hope a few of the characters that are Assist Trophies get removed from the game as a Assist and get promoted to playable status through DLC. But chances are very slim to none for that to actually happen.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I hope a few of the characters that are Assist Trophies get removed from the game as a Assist and get promoted to playable status through DLC. But chances are very slim to none for that to actually happen.
True, but Sakurai is notoriously unpredictable and I know Smash Ultimate will get DLC support, but who else is even left to add as DLC, who's even all that popular

Last edited:

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
I have 6 confirmed letters of 10 in progress going to nintendo as I write this post. One of these letters was from our very own mrbrownstone from here. Mine is getting there today. If anyone else here would like to add to this effort message me in private messages on here so I can get an overall headcount for how many letters we will end up having in total. It will look very good if we have a bunch of handwritten letters about Krystal going in to nintendo America around the same time showing unity.
Cool I didn't realise so many people were sending letters showing their support directly. Wasn't sure if I'd do it myself but reading this makes me feel encouraged to do the same. May not get there for a little while as I like to take my time when writing stuff to make sure I cover all my points and that I'm being considerate and respectful at all times towards anyone who may be reading. Suppose I can thank them for her recent inclusion for smash, talk about what the StarFox franchise means to me and that I'm willing to show my support for future games in the series, and hopefully a return of Krystal's character too. I'm guessing the address is the one you posted except with the amended zip code used.

I was thinking that for this game they could maybe release fighters in sets of 3 or 5 maybe in order to increase their value for money as I know alot of people felt that the price for one character was too much, with one potential wave being promoted popular assist trophies like Bomberman, Ashley Waluigi and of course Krystal herself. I imagine it's a very long shot but I always like to think of ways she could potentially make it in that are potentially feasible.

Still for every character that gets in smash, plenty are left in the shadow, atleast we got her an assist trophy if all else fails. I hear everyone is thinking a direct is gonna show up again soon, dunno why we've been getting so many, perhaps GP will show up there, if not, there's always later.
Who knows, maybe with that direct happening tomorrow there's a chance GP will be announced. Maybe not a high chance but I'll still be having my fingers crossed during the direct in hopes of a surprise announcement regarding the game or even the series as a whole.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Cool I didn't realise so many people were sending letters showing their support directly. Wasn't sure if I'd do it myself but reading this makes me feel encouraged to do the same. May not get there for a little while as I like to take my time when writing stuff to make sure I cover all my points and that I'm being considerate and respectful at all times towards anyone who may be reading. Suppose I can thank them for her recent inclusion for smash, talk about what the StarFox franchise means to me and that I'm willing to show my support for future games in the series, and hopefully a return of Krystal's character too. I'm guessing the address is the one you posted except with the amended zip code used
Correct! That is the address! Feel free to let me know if you decide to do one so I can get a feel for what we will have in the end with the total letters they will be getting from us. Every little bit helps so just take your time to address all your points that you want to address. It will look really good for her character getting a bunch of letters asking to see her again.

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
Correct! That is the address! Feel free to let me know if you decide to do one so I can get a feel for what we will have in the end with the total letters they will be getting from us. Every little bit helps so just take your time to address all your points that you want to address. It will look really good for her character getting a bunch of letters asking to see her again.
Hey so got my letter sent off in the the post today, spent half the night writing it up and almost being late to work to do so (I should probably reconsider my prioritises XD) but with any luck it should reach them sometime next week. Just spoke about what Nintendo meant to me, how I got introduced to the series and her character, and how I'd love to see her again and show my support as best I can after such a long absence, whilst trying to be as appreciative and thankful for her recent appearance in Smash. Would be amazing if we one day got some acknowledgement from Nintendo about these letters especially if they get a bunch like you mentioned. Probably won't happen but one can dream nonetheless :).

At least in the meantime some more Fox gameplay from Starlink got shown off today which is looking really good and could probably almost pass for an official entry in the series if I didn't know any better. Its a shame it looks like Krystal will probably be giving this title a miss given how good it looks and how they keep emphasising how every Star Fox crew member is in it despite her absence, but I'm at the very least thankful we've got some form of Star Fox to look forward to in the near future (it seems we've been spoiled with Star Fox content these past 3 years) which can only be good news for the series' future, especially if its received well both critically and commercially. And who know's, maybe there's a small secret cameo involving her just waiting to be discovered that hasn't be announced yet.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I wouldn't mind Star Fox Zero being a reboot of the series as long as they didn't leave the events in the original timeline behind. They could use Star Fox Zero as an opportunity to establish canon events of those games. Maybe retcon 'Goodbye Falco', have the events of Star Fox Adventures take place sooner than eight years post Lylat Wars, don't destroy the Great Fox in Assault, create a canon path during the Anglar invasion, etc. It could also allow for some more flexibility, and change stuff canon-wise for the better of the Star Fox universe.

The problem is that the chances of all that happening are slim. Personally, I hope we one day get a title that takes place in and continues the established timeline. Wouldn't mind a game that takes place after a specific Command ending, a canon re-telling of Command, or a game that outright retcons Command and takes place after Assault.

Otherwise, we could see ourselves in the Zero timeline for a while. For me, it relies on if Star Fox Grand Prix exists and takes place in Zero's timeline. Or until another new Star Fox title takes place after Zero. If Grand Prix does exist, Krystal and Panther better make it in, at least as DLC.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Sad about assist tophy status but i'd like to lend my support nonetheless. She felt like the only chance Star Fox had at a character that wasn't all blasters, reflectors, and speedy dash attacks. Maybe next game, or a miracle will happen, who knows. ( personally i've always wanted playable characters who aren't battling to be eligible to pop out of assist trophies and temporarily start fighting on your team, that'd certainly make character speculation a lot more wild. )

Anyway, I've recently started revisiting Star Fox Adventures, i'm half way through it, ( if having returned two spell stones counts as half way ) I actually haven't played this game in full since the year it launched. I was kind of expecting not to have a good time because of the game's reputation and my standards being a little higher but I'm actually having a blast.

Top Bottom