• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
And remember if Krystal's not in the base game, don't lose hope. After all there's the DLC to consider and if the rumors are true, there's no cuts from Smash 4 (In before the DLC characters are all the non-Smash 4 Pokemon.)
This basically, I'd say there's a fairly high chance that she's not in the base roster, especially since the rumors say a 2019 release for SF grand prix, if this is really one of retro's big secret projects I doubt they'll want it to sit there and fail. So if smash is getting an October release like liam says and it takes to say... May to get the game out, that sounds like enough time for it to start DLC, and then they could use Krystal to help advertise it, It's not like people don't know who Wolf is at this point. Using him to advertise wouldn't make any sense, He's a veteran, It's smash fans who want him for the most part, Sure wolf definitely has fans but It wouldn't quite make sense to use a veteran to advertise a game when he was already in brawl, and that's probably part of why we didn't get him for Zero, he's just a low priority, unfortunately in that same vein it means Krystal is aswell. But if Grand Prix is real, Why not bring them back? Krystal, despite her high request, would be seen as pretty unexpected. So many have given up on her, believing her to be completely vanished. People quite literally expect wolf and want him back. Sakurai likes to get people excited and to surprise them. He also likes to revisit things they he wasn't able to before. I'm leery due to his pretty minor interest in the SF franchise, But she seems like a pretty good pick. She might not show up this E3, but I'd say within a year or so we should see her playable, unless he decides against her staff kit or they deus ex machina us and force a new SF character on us. Or some other scenario in which her kit is fully taken by some other fighter. Seems unlikely but it's sure possible.

HairMythe

Smash Cadet
Ok, I must admit I was wrong about Krystal being a secondary character. I mainly said that because most starfox games don't leave much room for character development. In Assault, she was just another member of the Starfox crew, and in Adventures... The intro of the game is pretty good, but after that, she just becomes your furry waifu to free from her prison. Admittedly, that's not exactly secondary roles... My point was just she wasn't that important imo.

Now I haven't played Command (Well, a little but meh, I'm not finishing it.), so I went and watched its ending and read the plot. She really is important in this game, actually. But not really in a good way. From what I saw and read, she is actually pretty true to her character, I think... but all that drama with Fox was out of place and unnecessary. I don't feel like the main problem with Command's writting is how the characters interacts or are represented... It's just that all these substories have nothing to do with the actual plot. Some are pretty good (I actually really like the G-Zero ending)... but they really feel uncalled for. In the end the story doesn't sound Starfox-like. Yeah, I'm ranting when there's not enough character development, and I'm also ranting when there's too much. That's what it means to be a true fan.

Anyways, I really don't see Krystal making it in the initial roster. I believe Sakurai would call it a day once he adds Wolf, if he ever does. As a DLC... It really depends on what happens with the next Starfox game. As much as I'd like to play her, I wouldn't bet on her being a DLC. The game is still not confirmed. It could be a total flop. And we don't know how important she would be if we end up getting this game. Even if everything lines up perfectly, a fourth rep for Starfox feels like asking a lot. And her entering instead of Wolf would bring a civil war to Lylat.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Even if everything lines up perfectly, a fourth rep for Starfox feels like asking a lot.
Any series in Super Smash Bros. should not be subjected to how many characters/“reps” it is allowed to have in the game. It’s like saying the Pokémon or Mario series’s shouldn’t have x amount of characters because they’d be too over “represented”.
And her entering instead of Wolf would bring a civil war to Lylat.
In my honest opinion Wolf returning in this game is possible, but Sakurai adding Wolf to the initial roster is not likely. At best I would give Wolf a 25% chance of being in the initial roster. Mainly because Wolf is the same situation that Mewtwo & Roy were in when Sm4sh was being developed. Mewtwo and Roy were left out of Sm4sh initially, but got added on later as DLC. What I’m trying to say is that I believe Wolf will not be in the new Smash initially, but added on as possible DLC later on. The most likely outcome in my opinion that could happen would be Krystal (If Sakurai added her in the game) gets into the initial roster before Wolf, but he would added later on as DLC like I said before.

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
My point was just she wasn't that important imo.
Don't forget that Krystal was the one Andross needed to revive himself as she could actually channel the Krazoa spirits. During the Aparoid Invasion, Sauria would have been a goner if it wasn't for Krystal sensing that something was wrong there. Those seem like small moments, but they had a pretty big impact when you think about it.

From what I saw and read, she is actually pretty true to her character, I think...
Not at all. Krystal literally did a 180 in Command. Almost everything she says and does in this game goes completely against her character. She joins up with criminals (Star Wolf) and even tries to justify Andross' actions at one point. Remember, Andross was about to sacrifice Sauria for his revival in Adventures (even using Krystal herself as a conduit). And by the time Command takes place, Krystal should be aware of everything else Andross has done as well. In the story path that leads to the Kursed ending, Krystal even comes up with a plan to use Fox as a stepping stone and lure him into a trap, so that Star Wolf can become the new heroes. She becomes a traitor due to a stupid mistake on Fox's part. Would the Krystal we used to know ever do that? I don't think so. In this game (which ironically still describes her as "kind") she acts out of sheer spite -- something that was never her thing. Even after losing Cerinia, revenge didn't seem to be her driving force at all. She used to be much smarter and stronger than this. To me, there was no believability to her character development in Command whatsoever. They even neglected her telepathy, probably to make the plot work...

It's just that all these substories have nothing to do with the actual plot.
Absolutely. This whole drama nonsense totally interfered with the actual story. In some cases, it even feels like the drama is the actual story, while the Anglar war itself is a mere side plot. I just hope we'll never have to witness something like that again.

Last edited:

HairMythe

Smash Cadet
Any series in Super Smash Bros. should not be subjected to how many characters/“reps” it is allowed to have in the game. It’s like saying the Pokémon or Mario series’s shouldn’t have x amount of characters because they’d be too over “represented”.
I guess my choice of word is ambiguous, my bad. So I actually totally agree with you on that. What I meant is that considering Starfox haven't been doing well recently, and that Wolf has been very low priority Brawl, having both character join seems unlikely.

Not at all. Krystal literally did a 180 in Command.
Ok then. I don't really know what's happening midgame so I can't play devil's advocate any longer. Thanks for the additional info btw.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
One thing I don't understand why is there such a scism between those who want Krystal in Smash and those who want Wolf to come back. Wolf is easy to make after all, other than maybe relevance which means little as Wii Fit Trainer wasn't really all THAT relevant, there's no reason we can't get both playable

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
One thing I don't understand why is there such a scism between those who want Krystal in Smash and those who want Wolf to come back. Wolf is easy to make after all, other than maybe relevance which means little as Wii Fit Trainer wasn't really all THAT relevant, there's no reason we can't get both playable
is there? i hadn't noticed. well maybe they're worried that, with the way things have gone for star fox in the past, two characters is too much to ask for. people who prefer wolf over krystal (or vice versa) might feel that the other character threatens their chances, so they get hostile toward the other side.

i for one want both, but if you stood on my tail and made me pick i'd have to go with krystal. wolf's already different enough from fox and falco but krystal and her staff would be even more so.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
To be honest with you I'd e slightly surprised if krystal didn't get in. With the apparent 1 3rd party character per franchise I can't see too many more Nintendo characters that would have a higher priority than krystal. Honestly, name 5 Nintendo characters that hasn't been in smash before that arguable is a more important character then krystal. There's like, what? Daisy? Waluigi? My thinking is is that she'll probably get in just because of lack of better options. Maybe that's a bit bias of me to say, but seriously.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
As I have said numerous times, if Krystal gets in Smash, seeing the manchildren on the GameFAQs message boards and PhredFox have meltdowns would be an added bonus

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
To be honest with you I'd e slightly surprised if krystal didn't get in. With the apparent 1 3rd party character per franchise I can't see too many more Nintendo characters that would have a higher priority than krystal. Honestly, name 5 Nintendo characters that hasn't been in smash before that arguable is a more important character then krystal. There's like, what? Daisy? Waluigi? My thinking is is that she'll probably get in just because of lack of better options. Maybe that's a bit bias of me to say, but seriously.
We shouldn't underestimate sakurai's ability to pick characters nobody expects, but then again, the rumors are showing that this roster should be things that people have actually wanted, While I'm also biased, Krystal is really a good character pick, not like Rool or Geno are all too relevant, others are also asking for a bunch of third parties, or otherwise characters that aren't all that important to their home franchise, It's really all on whether or not Sakurai wants her, He seemed to have considered her once before, as he said he didn't really know how to model her in the short time span, Which also as previously stated means that her kit wasn't to be derivative, I also remember something saying he wasn't really satisfied with wolf's kit, though that latter may have just been speculation. We should be wary to understand that Sakurai likes to break his patterns on a whim, but I'd still say that this smash isn't a conventional smash by any means. I'd imagine that nintendo had some stronger influence this time, and the ballot as well. It can really go either way for us, I won't be surprised if she's there or not there, But I'll keep fighting for her till the DLC cycle closes.

As I have said numerous times, if Krystal gets in Smash, seeing the manchildren on the GameFAQs message boards and PhredFox have meltdowns would be an added bonus
While fairly tasteless, I'd also get a kick out of the ensuing meltdown, if you think gamefaqs will explode, just imagine what 4chan will do lol. I remember reading one of the million smash posts there and someone commented on how he liked how they put Krystal in their roster, another person came out and said, "I put Krystal in one and I got death threats."

I really don't care how she's perceived, I fight for her because I want her in smash, as a means of showing affection for her. As we get closer to E3, I'm wondering if we should message retro studios asking if she's in SF grand prix, The people who made Turok and came over to make Metroid and then finally making a Star Fox game? it's almost too good to be true for me. I'll wait and see how they announce the game, if at all, It's remarkable how few real convincing leaks we've gotten for smash this time, Nintendo really wants to blow our socks off, Let's hope they've taken a long serious look at character choices, We know they know what everyone wants, We know they know how important characters are to us, and I'm sure they understand the power it can have to revive a franchise sorry F-Zero

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
God damn, I'm so upset it's from Marcus Sellars, But even a broken clock is right twice a day PLEASE be right, Krystal is literally the best female choice when you factor in everything. This just makes the wait all the more difficult for me, because he could be right. Aside from Krystal, who even has kit potential? I know Midna could be pretty sweet.

Attachments

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
God damn, I'm so upset it's from Marcus Sellars, But even a broken clock is right twice a day PLEASE be right, Krystal is literally the best female choice when you factor in everything. This just makes the wait all the more difficult for me, because he could be right. Aside from Krystal, who even has kit potential? I know Midna could be pretty sweet.
For speculation's sake, let's count up the genders in Smash and see how many it'd take to get equal numbers.

Male: :4bowser::4bowserjr::4falcon::4cloud::4dedede::4darkpit::4diddy::4dk::4drmario::4falco::4fox::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucas::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4gaw::4ness::4olimar::4pacman::4pit::4feroy::4ryu::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4wario::4yoshi::4alph::4larry::4roy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::wolf::younglinkmelee:
Female: :4bayonetta::4lucina::4palutena::4peach::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4zelda::4zss::4wendy:
Other (neither or both): :4charizard::4corrin::4duckhunt::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4mewtwo::4mii::4pikachu::4rob::4robinm::4villager::4wiifit::popo::ivysaur::squirtle::pichumelee::inkling:

This'll all depend on how you count alternate costumes but that's a lot of ground to cover. If we count the definite females and characters with female forms that's 16 (:4bayonetta::4corrinf::4lucina::4palutena::4peach::4robinf::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4villagerf::4wiifit::4zelda::4zss::4miif::4wendy::Inkling Girl:) out of 50+ characters.

Tall order.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
For speculation's sake, let's count up the genders in Smash and see how many it'd take to get equal numbers.

Male: :4bowser::4bowserjr::4falcon::4cloud::4dedede::4darkpit::4diddy::4dk::4drmario::4falco::4fox::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucas::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4gaw::4ness::4olimar::4pacman::4pit::4feroy::4ryu::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4wario::4yoshi::4alph::4larry::4roy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::wolf::younglinkmelee:
Female: :4bayonetta::4lucina::4palutena::4peach::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4zelda::4zss::4wendy:
Other (neither or both): :4charizard::4corrin::4duckhunt::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4mewtwo::4mii::4pikachu::4rob::4robinm::4villager::4wiifit::popo::ivysaur::squirtle::pichumelee::inkling:

This'll all depend on how you count alternate costumes but that's a lot of ground to cover. If we count the definite females and characters with female forms that's 16 (:4bayonetta::4corrinf::4lucina::4palutena::4peach::4robinf::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4villagerf::4wiifit::4zelda::4zss::4miif::4wendy::Inkling Girl:) out of 50+ characters.

Tall order.
Sure is a tall order, but I doubt it's intended to be completely close, I'd imagine they could try and be more biased towards female inclusions, frankly I'd like to see Emily, Dasvergeben or Liam corrobate his statement or even Leakypandy

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well I'll bite and list a few.

Mario: Daisy, Pauline, Birdo, Toadette
DK: Dixie Kong, Also Pauline (shared 'verses are weird)
Yoshi:...
LOZ: Toon Zelda, Tetra, Impa, Midna, Urbosa, Mipha
Metroid: Another Suit Samus, Dark Samus (kinda)
Kirby: Adeline, Suzy
Star Fox: Krystal, Katt
Pokemon: (skip due to species)

Earthbound: Paula, Kumatora
F-Zero: Jody Summer

Fire Emblem: [big list]
NES Retro: Mach Rider...? [that was never cleared up IIRC]

Kid Icarus: Medusa, Viridi
Wario: Mona, Ashley
Pikmin: Brittany

Animal Crossing: Isabelle
Xenoblade: Fiora, Elma, Pyra, Nia

And that's not including unrepped and 3rd party ones. From closer looks, definetley doable from source material alone but that would be the biggest roster expansion ever in one go.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman

And that's not including unrepped and 3rd party ones. From closer looks, definetley doable from source material alone but that would be the biggest roster expansion ever in one go.
doable, but also viable characters sounds like a challenge, Let's say something like Daisy, Dixie Kong, Krystal, Impa, Medusa, Elma, Isabelle, Lyn, Ashley I'd see as viable choices based on series importance and popularity aswell as kit potential, Daisy I could see just as a clone/semi-clone. That's still 9 which is pretty good. All this rumor really does is just make the wait for E3 mind-numbing, I'm pretty hopeful for Krystal but I'd like to see if this gets shot down by anyone.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As for 3rd parties the big one that comes to my mind is Lara Croft with Shantae bringing the rear as the fan favourite.

HairMythe

Smash Cadet
I don't really know who that Marcus Sellars actually is, but a little search on google shows how infamous he is. Getting only female newcomers to even out the roster seems very unrealistic, honestly, and it'd be a shame to not give a chance to males characters because they're... well, males. An unrealistic leak from un unreliable source isn't great. But having nintendo push females a bit more seems conceivable. But I don't think we should really base our predictions on this.

Honestly, what really may help Krystal is the seeming lack of realistic, and viable 1st party candidates
I'm having very mixed feelings about this argument. I first I wasn't convinced at all, so I tried to come up with a list of contenders for Krystal basing myself on the RTC thread. I indeed ended with many 1st party somewhat realistic contenders. (~30 First party characters are rated higher than her in the RTC thread.) However Krystal has actually a Peach-like status not many of these have. Among already in smash IPs, Starfox is one of those that most craves new characters, and it has very obvious potential reps. There is indeed a shortage of characters with such importance to their IP. In my opinion, only Dixie Kong, K. Rool, Ridley and Wolf are in a similar situation.
I still think Krystal isn't a given. (She's a pretty good underdog, though) But I really don't know what to answer to that argument. It's actually pretty sound.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I don't really know who that Marcus Sellars actually is, but a little search on google shows how infamous he is. Getting only female newcomers to even out the roster seems very unrealistic, honestly, and it'd be a shame to not give a chance to males characters because they're... well, males. An unrealistic leak from un unreliable source isn't great. But having nintendo push females a bit more seems conceivable. But I don't think we should really base our predictions on this.

I'm having very mixed feelings about this argument. I first I wasn't convinced at all, so I tried to come up with a list of contenders for Krystal basing myself on the RTC thread. I indeed ended with many 1st party somewhat realistic contenders. (~30 First party characters are rated higher than her in the RTC thread.) However Krystal has actually a Peach-like status not many of these have. Among already in smash IPs, Starfox is one of those that most craves new characters, and it has very obvious potential reps. There is indeed a shortage of characters with such importance to their IP. In my opinion, only Dixie Kong, K. Rool, Ridley and Wolf are in a similar situation.
I still think Krystal isn't a given. (She's a pretty good underdog, though) But I really don't know what to answer to that argument. It's actually pretty sound.
What you must understand is what the community finds important is not what Nintendo would find important, Also how on earth can you take that thread seriously when ****ing Pauline is higher than Krystal? It seriously boggles the mind, she really deserved her 1% rating via that sourcegaming series. Tell me how important is she to her series? how long has she been popular for? What does she do that would be interesting in a fighter situation? Zilch, five minutes, and nothing. People just have a strong negative opinion of Krystal, and her fans aren't as emotionally strong as I'd like them to be. As you found out, there really aren't that many good first-party character picks when you factor these things based on sourcegaming's translation of what sakurai looks for in a character. People are arguing against the bottom of the barrel thing but I'm pretty much in solid belief of it. Sakurai as a massive amount of characters he could look through for kit potential, but long-time popularity, series importance, You really don't have much. I mean compare this cycle to older character cycles? K-Rool is an older, no-longer used villain, Wolf is a divisive semi-clone, Ridley was deconfirmed by Sakurai, Though he can change his mind. Geno is a long dormant character, Isaac is from a dead franchise, Spring Man is a flavor of the month character, Meanwhile last smash we got Megaman, Ryu, Cloud. There are still a small set of characters that can really give hype, but that list is awfully small, and more importantly predictable. If grand prix comes out and she's in it, there really aren't any good excuses to exclude her for DLC, If they do it, which they definitely should. Which is honestly probably better for her since DLC characters are overpowered. Krystal really could go either way for her inclusion, No one is really basing their argument off of Sellars since no one fully trusts him, but he does get real sources rarely, It's just something I'd throw into the ring because It drove me insane and misery loves company lol. Why did something beneficial have to come from something which could certainly be wrong? Eitherway if more leakers jump on it I'll be more than happy to put more faith in it. I'm already putting more in it than I really should. People jump to third-parties and start circle-jerking around those, but this is a Nintendo Icon fighter, you really shouldn't have too many of those. Though that's really just an opinion because they'd make bank. Krystal is slept on because people have moved on from her, If I had to guess people thought Nintendo did so they followed suit.
Good luck to the vixen, but somehow I don't know if she'll need it.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
I agree, she really isn't a given, but I have higher-hopes-then-I-did-for-smash-4-at-least.
And I mean, sure, there are plenty of characters I would personally put in before I put in krystal, but I have far greater doubts about them then I do krystal. Honestly, do you think Groose or Ghirihim would be put in before Krystal would? But that's not the right question to ask. The correct question is do you think there are enough characters Sakuri would pick before krystal? Personally I think no, but it's still a toss up. There is still Tetra, Spring man, and many other great picks. But I guess time is the only one who will tell.
As a side note I've been working on a moveset for her, almost done!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In regards to the mood in this thread

SirCamp

Smash Ace

Not to go totally off topic with this whole list since this isn't totally about Krystal, but you're forgetting the best potential Wario rep: Captain Syrup!

Also I know some people want Monita. Also a bit obscure but Barbara the Bat works here too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And something relevant to both the current topic and the thread

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I suppose eighth place isn't too bad.

I'd argue Krystal over Nikki for seventh place, but the remaining six above her are more likely.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I think that if Krystal had been added to Brawl instead of Wolf, Star Fox might have stood a better chance of keeping its 3-representative count in SSB4, as many people saw Wolf as a throwaway clone, thus he was cut.

The main reason Krystal probably wasn't added to Brawl in the first place was probably her gender - the only female newcomer in that game was Zero Suit Samus, and even she wasn't accessible by normal means. Sexism in this day and age is a big no-no.

Of course we did get a high amount of female newcomers in SSB4 (including alternate skins), though Krystal was still absent.

Krystal's time should be now. She could have a moveset that would differ from the other Star Fox representatives (which made her more attractive than Wolf to begin with).
I highly doubt her not making it to Brawl had anything to do with her gender. Samus, Peach and Zelda made it into Brawl.

Folks, remember, there's an alternate universe where Krystal is a cat, she's playable in smash since Brawl as the star of her own franchise alongside her brother, and last year, Dinosaur planet : Breath of the Wild was a huge success. What's more, everyone in this thread is begging for Tricky to graduate from being an assist trophy.

More seriously, Krystal always had tremendous potential as a character, but it's really hard for her to shine in Starfox, now, as a secondary character. There's ton of things nintendo could explore for her backstory, but I doubt we ever hear about Cerinia again. Her relationship with Fox is probably the only relevant part of her character nowadays, but after Command's shenanigans... Sadly I can't hope we see her shine one day.
You can speculate anything happening in an alternate universe. Maybe there's an alternate universe where Star Fox is real and the characters Fox McCloud, Falco Lombardi, Wolf O'Donnel, Krystal, Slippy Toad, Peppy Hare, etc. are real people fighting an intergalactic war and everything that Nintendo programmed in the Star Fox games happens for real in that other universe.

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
While I hope this recent rumour tweet is true, it does make me worry that I'll be building up my expectations too much for when the game gets revealed next week. It kinda makes me want to avoid any news coming out related to the game or even any other potential E3 announcement rumours as I wouldn't want to be set up for disappointment if certain characters (Krystal/ Wolf included) dont make it in which wouldn't be through any fault of Nintendo. Just want next week to come quickly so we can finally put these rumours to rest and get some confirmations on characters, hopefully some of which are ones we've been asking and praying to be included for a while.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
While I hope this recent rumour tweet is true, it does make me worry that I'll be building up my expectations too much for when the game gets revealed next week. It kinda makes me want to avoid any news coming out related to the game or even any other potential E3 announcement rumours as I wouldn't want to be set up for disappointment if certain characters (Krystal/ Wolf included) dont make it in which wouldn't be through any fault of Nintendo. Just want next week to come quickly so we can finally put these rumours to rest and get some confirmations on characters, hopefully some of which are ones we've been asking and praying to be included for a while.
That's odds that krystal is making it in to the E3 Build is significantly less then the odds of her making it into the full game.
Just keep a level head and expect that what you want won't come true!

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Krystal.

Man, I wish lol. She's definitely been one of my most wanted Smash characters to this date.

I'm aware she doesn't exactly have the best reputation and people would always complain about Star Fox having 4 characters which in my opinion was always a dumb argument because I figured it really didn't matter since she was a popular request who'd have a unique staff based moveset, and even if we'd have spear users like Bandana Dee (who I also support), it couldn't really demean her any less other her obvious hatebase.

Her chances are low, don't get me wrong. But she's really up there when it comes to Smash requests.

Although she is rather bland, I can't help but rather like her design. inb4 LOL FURRY

She gets my full-on support regardless!

Last edited:

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
THIS TOOK SO MUCH LONGER THEN I THOUGHT IT WOULD.

Just thought this would be a fun project to work on for a while while my internet was suffering. I know this isn't even close to complete and I'm no expert, so I'll be dealing mostly with comparisons. Personally had a lot of fun with this project and it's made me want to make some more for other characters! Though to be honest I don't think there's going to be a lot of characters that will be as easy to do as krystal was, there's just so much to work with! Almost too much tbh. There's a lot of directions you could take her in too. The first full on mage, the first spear character, projectile, rush-down, mid-range, ect. After all of it I mainly set on a mid-range spacing style combo character kind of thing. Her defensive moves are very weak, but when she gets hits she can take it pretty far. Another note I should put on is that this Krystal is designed with smash 4 in mind, but a slightly higher gravity smash 4. Which is what I always envision when I think of what I would like smash 4 to be. All and all I got almost everything done expect for the smashes and throws, I slept on it for quite some time and I really couldn't come up with anything. Wasn't too sure if I should upload this in-complete but honestly this is just a forum, what's the harm?

Initial thoughts:
So if every starfox character is supposed to be a iteration off of Fox, with the specials forming the core of the character and the normal's fleshing out the character, I guess the first question we would have to solve is two fold: what archetype does krystal fall into and how do her specials form the core of that archetype? Archetypal Fox is a rush-down character and I guess Falco is supposed to be kind of a midrange character, so then the obvious answer is for Krystal to be a long range projectile character. But there's a good reason we have a grand total of maybe 3 projectile characters in all of smash. Looking at the more projectile heavy fighters in smash 4, one thing is pretty common among all of them: they have a main projectile they're kit plays around, and then a second projectile to cover where the first one fails. For example Rob's main projectile is his laser, which needs time to charge, so he also has gyro to help him defend himself while laser charges. So my thought was, why not replace to second projectile with her staff, and good movement? I'll elaborate what I mean later in this post, but in total the object of her moveset should revolve around having a strong projectile, while her other normals and specials set up to lead into that projectile. She is a fast playing character that has should have no trouble getting in thanks to her specials, but at range she is very threatening and can space you out. She has weak defensive options but has a very strong punish game, with extended combos and

Stats:

Height: fox's height
Weight: Medium
Fall speed: Fast faller
walk speed: Slightly higher then average
Run speed: slightly faster then falco
Sprint Speed: slightly slower then fox
Short hop height: fairly low, but not optimal
jump height: High
Double jump height: Low
perfect pivot length: Very good, but not excellent
((Wavedash): Pretty good, but not very good.

Specials:
:GCB:: ZCC802 personal hand cannon (Zephyr crystal custom)
A Blaster of slippy's own design at Krystal's behest. Expends all the energy from a zephyr crystal core to fire off an outrageously strong blast without the need for a charge. Designed by Slippy to be an anti-tank blaster, it'll blow anything short of that away in an instant with a large blast of plasma energy. However it can only be fire once before it needs to reload and the ammo is quite cumbersome to carry.
Projectile | ~10-13% | Medium knock back | small knock-back growth | very fast speed and size (Think half charged super scope) | Must reload once fired once, takes 1.2 seconds to reload the gun (animation cannot be canceled, cannot be reloaded in the air)

:GCU::GCB: : Krystal Blink
Krystal's favorite spell, near instant transportation to any location you can see, up to a certain distance, requires charge time. Krystal has become so well tuned to this spell that she can simultaneously form a barrier around her to protect her while she channels the spell.
Teleport recovery | The longer you channel the teleport the farther it goes | Does not put you into free-fall when you teleport (If you cast it for more then .5 second)| Stops Krystal in midair when beginning the cast. (She doesn't slowly float down when she is channeling) | After about 1 second a barrier starts forming around Krystal, making her very difficult to edge-guard if your not fast about it, (as anyone with a teleport recovery should be) | The barrier isn't impossible to break through, it works similarly to palutena's forward b, as in it just pushes people away. | Can be channeled for a maximum 2.5 seconds and teleports her around as far as Fox's up-B. | Tapping the button will get you only a 4th of the distance and will put you in freefall. | No hitboxes. |

:GCR::GCB: : Illusion Dash
A combination of krystal's magic and the starfox team's G-diffusion tech. (I think I heard somewhere that the G-defusers are what allow fox to use phantasm and firefox, probobly deathbattle) She lean's back in the air swiping her hand below her activating the G-Defusers that are on her boots. With her magic she had channel a spell to shoot her forward, with the G-diffusion keeping her steady. An excellent technique for approaching enemies quickly!
movement special | After a half second of cast time shoots Krystal forward | after 6 or 7 frames Krystal gains control and can act. | Sends her half the distance of fox's phantasm | no hitboxes | carriers some momentum when landing. | (Think of this as a more extreme version of how Ryu's Focus cancel works) | Puts krystal into a "spring animation for about 3 seconds" (When used on the ground the sprint state only lasts for 2 seconds.) | Full speed she's about a little slower then fox
s dash.

Couldn't think of a good variation of shine, other then to just make it absorb projectiles rather then reflect them but w/e
Overall her specials are give her a lot of movement and freedom to recover how she wants. The idea is for Illusion dash to work in tandem with maybe a run-up shield to help her get in, or maybe a grab or something.

Tilts
:GCU::GCA: : Crackdown slam
Krystal leans back and turns to deliver a devestating overhead strike with a step with the back end of her staff. The blow is quick, and reaches over her head, but has a long recovery period.
Combo starter | weak anti-air (but one of her only) | over-all slowish move | Hard punish | deals about 7% | if opponet is standing on the ground while hit, they are hard knocked down unable to tech the hit | If they are in the air and hit by the sweet spot, they are hit downward but are able to tech this hit. | If they are hit by the beggining - midway part of the strike they are hit foward
difficult to combo with that hit. | set knockback

:GCU::GCA:: Upheaval strike
Krystal strikes with a strong underhand force, lifting enemies off the ground and setting them up for a follow up. The move is quick and has a low recovery, but dosen't do much damage by itself.
Combo starter/Extender | Hits enemeis off the ground | Relativly small sweatspot compared to the hitbox | Pops enemies strait up into the air | Di mix ups are a good way to get out of this move. | Safe on sheild if spaced at the tip. | Combos into crackdown slam at early percents| Hits OTG
https://puu.sh/ACxOW/602b2f8534.jpg (not exactly the exact pose but the hitbox would be pretty similar)

:GCR::GCA:: Spin kick
Krystal quickly spins around, switching feet to deliever a strong (angle-able) Kick. The blow comes out extremly fast and is hard to see coming, but takes a long time to recover from.
Get off me move | Extremly fast move, frame 4 or 6 | Long recovery period, takes maybe 20 frames to recover from. | Extremly punishable | Low knock back and medium knockback growth |

:GCR::GCR::GCA:: 360 popkick / Flip kick
Krystal running at her fastest, with the aid of illusion dash, plants her staff into the ground and and launches herself around it in a 360 degree motion, flipping her feet out to attack foes in front of her. She ends on the otherside of the attack. This move is great against sheilds!
Safe on sheild | small hitbox for the size of the attack | ~6-8%? | Medium knockback medium knockback growth. | Fantastic poke | only works if your sprinting
: Launch kick
Krystal's normal dash attack. Krystal takes a small leap, twisting her body around to deliever a wide strike with her leg.
All around normal dash attack | slower startup then most dash attacks | Higher damage then normal.|

:GCA:: Rapid jab (No staff in jab)
Think Mewtwo's Jab 1 | If we really want to make her op or her moves aren't that good make it hit otg | combos into grab quite well

Overall tilts make for a combo focused that requires spacing but give you some options for closer range attacks.

AERIALS
:GCA:: sex kick
sex kick
:GCD::GCA:: Crescent sweep
Krystal takes a breath out to perform a backhand sweep under her. The strike is huge and takes a while to perform, but krystal recovers quickly from the move! This attack is fantastic for setting up opponets, however krystal most be careful as the move is easy to
beat if she misses or her opponet blocks it.

Combo Start/extender | Slow startup but fast recovery, long landing lag | large hitbox | ~7-9% | Hit box starts from tail to right in front of krystal to form a cresent shape. | Krystal stretches out to do the attack, making her hitbox more horizontle rather then vertical. |

:GCL::GCA: : Backhand arcane strike
Krystal leans back to strike behind her with her left hand. The strike is swift and uses krystal's magic to form a small ball of energy in her palm. The strike is swift and strong, and missing it dosn't put krystal in to big of a disadvantage! The hit is small but the reward is big!
Combo ender/extender depending if you have a jump | hits up and to the left | ~5-7% | Relativly small hitbox | Fast startup and fast recovery | Long(ish) Landing lag | The hitbox is slightly behind Krystal's middle | Leads well into upair. | Disjointed hitbox

:GCR::GCA:: Arcane release
Krystal clenches her fist to hold her arcane power, gathering it together for a big attack. The attack is very strong and is a large hit, but is slow.
Big hit | Combo ender | Hits away and down | ~10-12% | Low base knockback, high knockback growth | Only kills early off screen | Disjointed | slow startup, medium recovery, low landing lag | [/I]

:GCU::GCA: : Sion Strike
Strong hit | Combo ender/extender | Slightly slow start up, long recovery, low landing lag | Big hitbox | Smash 4 up-air style | medium baseknockback, low knockbackgrowth | Styled to not kill off the top. | https://puu.sh/ABJXc/180a218b77.png (hitbox)

The rest
snakes old sleeper hold down throw, for extending combos.
split down smash, (Falco's)

Honestly can't think of the rest. :/
I might edit this post later with some reference pictures but I've been really excited to get some feedback on it so enjoy!

Edit: combo preview: (assuming no di)
(just some stuff I thought in my head while I was making this.)
Early %: Up-tilt -> d-tilt -> walk up jab -> grab down throw -> down smash

Early %: Up-tilt -> up- tilt -> sh ff fair -> instant dash attack

Early %: Up-tilt -> up-tilt -> sh Gun

Medium%: Illusion dash -> D-air -> n-air -> Platform land -> Jab grab -> down throw -> down smash

high%: Illusion dash -> land sh n-air -> short hop f-air

I'l post more combos when when I when I home

Attachments

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Not quite sure I understand the concept of making her special subvariants of existing specials, the whole point of picking Krystal is her kit potential.
Anyhoo not too much to say as E3 is underway and there being only about 2 days till Nintendo's conference, Sellars seems to be committing to the Female rumor instead of just flat dropping it, I'm still not really confident on this rumor since no one else has jumped on it, but It's definitely something I'd like to to atleast consider going into watching e3.

Attachments

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Not quite sure I understand the concept of making her special subvariants of existing specials, the whole point of picking Krystal is her kit potential.
Anyhoo not too much to say as E3 is underway and there being only about 2 days till Nintendo's conference, Sellars seems to be committing to the Female rumor instead of just flat dropping it, I'm still not really confident on this rumor since no one else has jumped on it, but It's definitely something I'd like to to atleast consider going into watching e3.
The biggest problem with that tweet isn't that Sellars has a terrible track record, but that it doesn't really say anything at all. It's such a vague statement and I hope no one will give him credit for it when we inevitably get a female newcomer or two. Why wouldn't you expect at least one female newcomer? Further, if you're not committing to a 50/50 split prediction, or any kind of estimate, then what exactly are you saying? What are you adding? That's the problem I have with Marcus' leak.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Cause every sf character's specials are like that including wolf

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
The biggest problem with that tweet isn't that Sellars has a terrible track record, but that it doesn't really say anything at all. It's such a vague statement and I hope no one will give him credit for it when we inevitably get a female newcomer or two. Why wouldn't you expect at least one female newcomer? Further, if you're not committing to a 50/50 split prediction, or any kind of estimate, then what exactly are you saying? What are you adding? That's the problem I have with Marcus' leak.
It's pretty vague isn't it? It could be due to the how vague the information he received, but I'd be more inclined to think it's just trying to play it safe, Leakers get assblasted for anything slightly wrong and their "career" depends upon their leaks, some take the route of saying nothing at all, others will just spout what they get, Sellars is like that. I take this, like I took the first one, which is an increased focus on female newcomers, or else just completely inaccurate, or otherwise false information. I'm still not sure if him backpedaling on that is a good or bad thing for this rumor. One on hand he still believes in it enough to address it, on the other hand it just looks like damage control. Regardless Krystal still has a decent chance outside of it.

Cause every sf character's specials are like that including wolf
every clone is like that, that's precisely why people give any credence to Krystal at all, we don't need a 4th fox clone, taking out her staff specials, or else original specials makes her a pointless addition, It's why we actually got Wolf over Krystal to begin with was because he could be another fox clone, there really isn't any good reason to keep them outside of that pattern which is weak logic imo, a base newcomer needs to offer uniqueness to be considered, even characters that don't have necessary kit potential IE ZSS had an inventive moveset to make up for it, despite sakurai's pattern breaking record this is one thing he's kept, newcomers need to contrast with the other non-clones. I know as a Krystal fan I'd be disappointed with her derivative specials.

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
So Source Gaming released the results of their Mega Smash Poll today. Looked quite promising as she reached 24th overall out of a total of 790 characters suggested, which increases to 15th when 3rd party characters are excluded and for what its worth makes her the 5th most requested female character (if that Sellars' rumour has any credibility, that would surely help her chances though I'm still not convinced by it). Given the amount of new characters and franchises brought out in recent years that seems like quite a solid result (despite her overall placement appearing slightly lower than it has been on similar polls for previous games), and based on some of the polls I've seen recently that tends to be her average position in these kinds of lists, so maybe that consistent placement level in these sorts of things has been enough to garner some interest amongst the developers working on Smash. Maybe wishful thinking on my part again but I certainly don't see it hurting any chance she has for inclusion.

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/10/mega-smash-poll-switch-results/

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
So Source Gaming released the results of their Mega Smash Poll today. Looked quite promising as she reached 24th overall out of a total of 790 characters suggested, which increases to 15th when 3rd party characters are excluded and for what its worth makes her the 5th most requested female character (if that Sellars' rumour has any credibility, that would surely help her chances though I'm still not convinced by it). Given the amount of new characters and franchises brought out in recent years that seems like quite a solid result (despite her overall placement appearing slightly lower than it has been on similar polls for previous games), and based on some of the polls I've seen recently that tends to be her average position in these kinds of lists, so maybe that consistent placement level in these sorts of things has been enough to garner some interest amongst the developers working on Smash. Maybe wishful thinking on my part again but I certainly don't see it hurting any chance she has for inclusion.

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/10/mega-smash-poll-switch-results/
considering the small sample size, IE 2000, it's a pretty predictable list, 24th is pretty good all things considered because I almost never see people talking about her. The fact that so many third-party characters are so high on that list, and the second most popular character is literally just a meme I'm not really perturbed because Krystal still has her strong points when it comes to battling other characters, apparently vergeben mentioned that Jump Force game aswell beforehand so another one of his rumors has checked out, Krystal's relevance issue is probably going to go out of the window soon enough, I sure hope so anyway lol.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
I figured it really didn't matter since she was a popular request who'd have a unique staff based moveset,

Her chances are low, don't get me wrong. But she's really up there when it comes to Smash requests.
if she was as popularly requested as people say she was, she'd have a mii costume like Geno and King K Rool. Just saying.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
if she was as popularly requested as people say she was, she'd have a mii costume like Geno and King K Rool. Just saying.
Which is why guys like Ridley, Dixie, Issac, etc totally got Mii Costumes as well.

By that logic, Lloyd, Knuckles, and Chocobo must be shoe-ins for Switch.

Never said she was Ridley/K. Rool tier, but she does have a fair amount of supporters.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh, hey Party Pooper. Long time no see, how've you been?

Question though on this hypothetical scenario, if Krystal had been a costume would she have been gunner or swordfighter?

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
every clone is like that, that's precisely why people give any credence to Krystal at all, we don't need a 4th fox clone, taking out her staff specials, or else original specials makes her a pointless addition, It's why we actually got Wolf over Krystal to begin with was because he could be another fox clone, there really isn't any good reason to keep them outside of that pattern which is weak logic imo, a base newcomer needs to offer uniqueness to be considered, even characters that don't have necessary kit potential IE ZSS had an inventive moveset to make up for it, despite sakurai's pattern breaking record this is one thing he's kept, newcomers need to contrast with the other non-clones. I know as a Krystal fan I'd be disappointed with her derivative specials.
Just because something is derivative it doesn't mean it isn't unique or different. I mean I thought I made the species pretty unique at least :/.

Top Bottom