• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
So, after over a month of work, I've finally completed a moveset concept for Krystal. One reason why it took so long was because I was trying to keep her movements somewhat realistic. Having trained with a bo staff myself, I set a few rules in place. If I could not replicate the move, find a video of someone else doing the move, find the move in Star Fox Adventures, or be able to explain the movement, then the move was scrapped. I think in the end, I've made a pretty viable moveset for her. Feedback appreciated.
Name: Krystal
Series: Star Fox
First Appearance: Star Fox Adventures (2002)
Archetype: Defensive Staff User
Gimmick: Staff Energy Meter

Overview

Overall, Krystal’s moveset takes heavy inspiration from Star Fox Adventures, as well as many real-world bo staff techniques. Krystal fights using her Cerinian Staff from Star Fox Adventures, although she does have some attacks without use of the staff. This makes Krystal very unique, not just in comparison to the rest of the Star Fox cast, but there is also no staff-based fighter yet seen in Smash.

Krystal is a defensive fighter, with plenty of long-ranged jabs and pokes using her staff to keep opponents at a distance. A lot of her attack animations require positioning, so one of her flaws is that some of her attacks have a somewhat slow start-up. However, her animations were designed to always end in a position where Krystal can quickly recover from.

There is a small gimmick to Krystal’s moveset, being her staff’s energy meter. Used by her staff’s various upgrades, this energy meter drains as she uses her special moves. When those moves are not being used, the energy meter slowly regenerates on its own, but it builds back up even faster when moves connect.

Attributes

Height: 5’7”

Weight: 77

Jump Heights
  • Ground: 40
  • Short: 17
  • Midair: 40
Air Speed: 1

Fall Speed
  • Normal Fall: 1.4
  • Fast-Fall: 2.24
Movement Speed
  • Walk: 1
  • Dash: 1.45
Normals

Neutral: Based off the neutral staff combo from Star Fox Adventures, Krystal’s Neutral is a four-hit attack using her Cerinian Staff. First input, Krystal leans in close for a jab with the butt of the staff into the opponent’s side. Second input, Krystal does wide swing with head of the staff, slamming it into the other side of the opponent. The third input leads into a 360° turning kick, where both legs have a hit box. First leg primes the opponent for the second, of which is the stronger combo finisher.

Dash: As she is sprinting, Krystal makes a leap forward, slamming the head of the staff straight down onto her opponent. Slower start-up, but great range and knockback. The staff itself does damage, but being hit by the head of the staff will spike an opponent. Useful, as the attack’s range can reach beyond a ledge. Based off the downward swing attacks from Star Fox Adventures.

Tilts

Side Tilt: Krystal sends her staff forward with a strong thrust. She leans into this attack, and combined with the staff’s length, makes this move a very long range poke. Can be angled to be slightly upward or downward. The head of the staff deals more damage and knockback.

Up Tilt: Based off an attack from Star Fox Adventures, Krystal lowers the head of the staff near the opponents feet, and raises it for an uppercut thrust. This launches opponents off their feet into the air, and makes for a perfect primer for follow-up attacks. The head of the staff does more damage and knockback.

Down Tilt: Krystal squats down and kicks her leg out to the side and performs a quick 45° leg sweep. Very quick attack, and great for set-ups.

Smashes

Side Smash: Krystal performs a small jump while making a 360° spin in the air. As she comes down, she slams the head of the staff into the opponent. The attack grants invincibility frames during the mid-air spin. Relatively slow start-up, but one of the strongest forward smashes when hit with the head of the staff. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Up Smash: Krystal couches down while charging, positioning the staff upright. She then shoots up onto her toes, shoving the staff straight upward with both arms. This attack has one of the highest vertical ranges in the series. Immensely powerful, especially if hit by the head of the staff at the end of the attack. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Down Smash: Krystal performs a 360° spin, kneeling down and performing a one-handed sweeping motion with the staff. One of Krystal’s few moves that hit behind her. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Aerials

Neutral Air: Krystal twists her upper body to the side and performs a skip catch spin. The 360° staff spin hits on both sides of her, due to the staff’s length, and hits multiple times. Autocancels after a short-hop, making it great for short hop approaches.

Forward Air: Krystal raised her staff upward, then violently slams the staff downward with both hands for a wide-arcing attack. If the head of the staff lands on an opponent during the downwards swing, it results in a meteor smash.

Back Air: Krystal turns around, swinging the staff one-handedly in an upwards arc. Has great range and knockback, especially if hit with the head of the staff, and autocancels after a short hop. Strong kill move.

Up Air: Krystal raises her staff using a close-grip and spins it in a helicopter-like fashion. With the staff centered above her, it covers a wide area. Great for juggling opponents.

Down Air: Krystal tucks her staff in and leans forward, performing a somersault motion. During the somersault, she sticks her tail out, creating a 90° downward facing swing. The last portion of her tail is the sweet spot, meteor smashing anyone who gets hit.

Throws

Grab: Krystal reaches forward with her back hand, while shifting her grip on the staff with the other hand. While holding an opponent, she keeps them at arm’s length and the staff is held where the head is pointed straight at the victim's chest.

Pummel: Using the head of the staff, Krystal repeatedly jabs it into the victim’s chest or abdomen. A slower pummel, but deals high percent damage.

Forward Throw: Krystal lets go of the grabbed victim and raises the bottom of the staff up for a small uppercut to stun the opponent. Once the staff is in a horizontal position, Krystal swiftly jabs them with the butt of the staff. Strong horizontal knockback.

Back Throw: Krystal positions the opponent behind her, then plants the end of her staff into the ground. Krystal then lifts herself up, and using the staff as a vault, performs a strong flying kick into the opponent’s back.

Up Throw: Krystal kneels down on one knee as she’s placing the upper half the staff underneath the grabbed opponent. Krystal then uses all her weight to force the other half of the staff down, using her knee as a fulcrum. Thus, shooting the grabbed opponent into the air. Strong kill move.

Down Throw: As she steps to the side, Krystal slams the opponent down onto the ground. She then lifts up her staff and performs a downward, vertical thrust into the victim’s spine. Easy to follow up with.

Get-Ups

Front Get-Up: Krystal pops up and around into a kneeling position, then spins the staff once around her neck.

Back Get-Up: Krystal sits up into a kneeling position and spins the staff once around her neck.

Trip Get-Up: Krystal spins the staff once around her neck.

Ledge Attack: Krystal does a hard, one-armed swing with the staff across the ground.

Specials

Neutral Special: Fire Blast - This attack shoots a fiery projectile from the end of the staff, and consumes a very small amount of the staff’s energy meter. This attack cannot be charged or prolonged by holding its input. The fire blasts travel quickly, and do not expire after a certain distance.

Side Special: Ice Blast - This attack spouts an icy blast from the end of the staff. Holding down its input will cause the effects and range of the attack to become greater. If an enemy is within the ice blast for too long, they become frozen. The attack consumes a small amount of the staff’s energy meter, but the longer it’s held, the faster it drains.

Up Special: Rocket Boost - For this attack, Krystal places the staff in front of her and is boosted straight upwards. The longer the input is held, the faster and further the Rocket Boost carries Krystal. The more charge, the more energy consumed. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Down Special: Ground Quake - For this attack, Krystal lifts the staff above her head, then slams it onto the ground, causing an earthquake. The longer the input is held, the more range and power the Ground Quake will have. The more charge, the more energy consumed. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Final Smash: CloudRunner Raid - Krystal’s Final Smash is based off of the opening to Star Fox Adventures, where Krystal rides a CloudRunner as she attacks General Scales’ ship. For her Final Smash, Krystal summons the same CloudRunner, who carries her to the foreground of the stage. From here, Krystal uses her overcharged staff to fire powerful blasts onto the stage. No limit to blasts fired during the 15 seconds it is active.

Defenses

Shield: Krystal kneels down, standing the staff upright as it creates a force field around her. The force field does not shrink when hit, preventing shield stabbing. Rather, the blue force field will become more and more transparent. This is based off the Force Field staff ability from Star Fox Adventures.

Sidestep Dodge: Krystal tucks the staff in close and pivots to the side off her foot.

Forward Roll: Krystal plants the end of her staff into the ground in front of her and uses it to vault herself from Point A to B. As she vaults, she simply pulls herself up along the side of the staff.

Backward Roll: Krystal plants the end of her staff into the ground behind her and uses it to vault herself form Point A to B. As she vaults, she positions her body more horizontally, rather than upright. Based off the backwards dodge from Star Fox Adventures.

Extras

Entrance: Krystal flys in on the CloudRunner from the Star Fox Adventures opening.

Stance: Basically, Krystal’s pose in the Smashified Artwork.

Idle Animations
  • Animation 1: Krystal positions her staff across her upper back and shoulders, then twists from side to side to stretch.
  • Animation 2: Krystal stands the staff upright with one arm, closes her eyes, and looks down while placing her fingers against her temple.
Taunts
  • Up Taunt: Based off her victory animation from Star Fox: Assault, Krystal stands her staff upright with one hand, and leans forward. She shakes her finger with her free hand and says “You’re not ready yet!”

• Side Taunt: Krystal swings her staff one-handedly to the side and shouts “Is that the best you can do?”

• Down Taunt: Krystal leans back on one leg and twirls the staff three times with one hand by her side as she remarks “Had enough?”
Victory Animations
  • Animation 1: Krystal performs a 4-point strike, before twirling the staff behind her.
  • Animation 2: Krystal spins the staff and launches it into the air, catching it and holding the pose.
  • Animation 3: Krystal sheaths the staff on her back and turns to the CloudRunner beside her, closing her eyes and resting her head on the CloudRunner’s beak as she says “Thank-you.”
Special Victory Dialogue
  • Victory vs. Fox: “I told you, Fox, I can handle myself!” - Krystal
  • Defeat vs. Fox: “Hope I didn’t hit you too hard.” - Fox
  • Victory vs. Falco: “You should stick to the air, Falco.” - Krystal
  • Defeat vs. Falco: “Don’t worry about it, you’re improving.” - Falco
  • Victory vs. Slippy: “Hurts when Fox isn’t here to watch your back, huh?” - Krystal
  • Defeat vs. Slippy: “That staff can’t beat my tech!” - Slippy
  • Victory vs. Wolf: “Joining you was a mistake, Wolf!” - Krystal
  • Defeat vs. Wolf: “Can’t believe I let you fly with us.” - Wolf
Overally I'd say it's a solid referencial and thematic moveset that'd I'd say would fit sakurai's character development style though I do have some qualms with it, Her side smash having Iframes is inconsistent, I don't think non-specials should have it. Little mac's whole gimmick is not flinching in his smashes, everything else suffering for it. Forward aerials are very important for assisted ranged characters and having dual meteor smashes would mean it would be too slow to harass with. I'd also want some clarification on what exactly you have fire blaster and ground quake doing, does fire blaster flinch? what does ground quake actually do? does it do damage? does it launch? does it just stun? The kit having the energy gimmick is neat because it means her specials can be beefier for having it, allowing something fast and combo-oriented to be able to deal some powerful hits. Though It'd be easy to overextend and lose a recovery option so you'd have to be careful.

I think when people consider smash speculation and Krystal in general people really ignore the kit creation process a really how important this kind of thing is. Kits like these should be flaunted around showing that she's really a good idea for inclusion in smash because of being fun and unique to play because it's realistic, yet entertaining.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Overally I'd say it's a solid referencial and thematic moveset that'd I'd say would fit sakurai's character development style though I do have some qualms with it, Her side smash having Iframes is inconsistent, I don't think non-specials should have it. Little mac's whole gimmick is not flinching in his smashes, everything else suffering for it. Forward aerials are very important for assisted ranged characters and having dual meteor smashes would mean it would be too slow to harass with. I'd also want some clarification on what exactly you have fire blaster and ground quake doing, does fire blaster flinch? what does ground quake actually do? does it do damage? does it launch? does it just stun? The kit having the energy gimmick is neat because it means her specials can be beefier for having it, allowing something fast and combo-oriented to be able to deal some powerful hits. Though It'd be easy to overextend and lose a recovery option so you'd have to be careful.

I think when people consider smash speculation and Krystal in general people really ignore the kit creation process a really how important this kind of thing is. Kits like these should be flaunted around showing that she's really a good idea for inclusion in smash because of being fun and unique to play because it's realistic, yet entertaining.
Feedback appreciated.

The reason for the invincibility frames is because the move that it's based on from Star Fox Adventures. By adding in the invincibility frames, it allows for the move to better replicate the attack from Adventures. Think of it more like how Bowser has invincibility frames as he's performing the dropkick. A workaround would be for her to remain on the ground, and do a faster spin, but I feel that isn't as faithful to the source material. Thoughts?

The Fire Blast would fire slower than Fox's blaster, but faster than Falco's. It'd be similar to Mario's 'Fast Fireball' special. The original plan was for them to not have stun, but for now, I'll say they have brief stun, once again, like being hit with Mario's 'Fast Fireball'.

Ground Quake would launch opponents into the air, and would do damage. Damage and knockback would scale depending on how much the move has been charged for, and by how close to the epicenter the opponent was.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Feedback appreciated.

The reason for the invincibility frames is because the move that it's based on from Star Fox Adventures. By adding in the invincibility frames, it allows for the move to better replicate the attack from Adventures. Think of it more like how Bowser has invincibility frames as he's performing the dropkick. A workaround would be for her to remain on the ground, and do a faster spin, but I feel that isn't as faithful to the source material. Thoughts?

The Fire Blast would fire slower than Fox's blaster, but faster than Falco's. It'd be similar to Mario's 'Fast Fireball' special. The original plan was for them to not have stun, but for now, I'll say they have brief stun, once again, like being hit with Mario's 'Fast Fireball'.

Ground Quake would launch opponents into the air, and would do damage. Damage and knockback would scale depending on how much the move has been charged for, and by how close to the epicenter the opponent was.
Looking up it up, you're right a bunch of characters have invuln/intangibility frames, though in rather specific circumstances and usually to compensate, or because they're really powerful. Hmm... hard call, Krystal would be a very good fighter so I can't really say it would be to compensate, and it's not like she'd be super powerful either. Also faithful representation isn't necessarily the most important thing when it comes to kit creation, it's fitting a gimmick that's closish to the character (and or represents the game their from) and unique to smash. For example I'm a big Ike fan, Sakurai wanted a character who could fit a classic brute playstyle, slow and powerful that is. From a glance and decent look, you'd say it's Ike that we have in smash, But realistically, Aether is so insanely overpowered you couldn't translate it to smash too well, it halves opponent's defenses and heals for half the damage you do, doing Sol and Luna in two seperate strikes, Ike is not only very powerful and durable, but he's very fast in his game, Ragnell can also shoot blade beams that are equal in damage to his sword strikes, For balance and to fit the vision he loses his speed, loses most of aether except for it's aesthetic strike, and loses Ragnell's sword beams, Hard to say exactly what to do to actually keep it Imo. Only if you wanted to keep it slow perhaps.

Also on a new tangent. I started thinking about Krystal's VA, ironically after a post about Ike's heroes VA. So Glidewell's last appearence was during Brawl, in which she leaked she was doing stuff in some manner for smash or that was the conclusion people had, which was after her last performance as her in the game. I've talked to her and she's not had any voice acting work with her since then as she told me recently like I've stated. And with that Grand Prix rumor going around It's hard for me to believe she wouldn't have already been contacted with that, and I'm pretty confident she didn't lie to me. I'd say based on the low success of Assault and Command, with her leaking information, and the general swapping of VA's SF does that Krystal will have a new voice actor. Hope she's good lol.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Looking up it up, you're right a bunch of characters have invuln/intangibility frames, though in rather specific circumstances and usually to compensate, or because they're really powerful. Hmm... hard call, Krystal would be a very good fighter so I can't really say it would be to compensate, and it's not like she'd be super powerful either. Also faithful representation isn't necessarily the most important thing when it comes to kit creation, it's fitting a gimmick that's closish to the character (and or represents the game their from) and unique to smash. For example I'm a big Ike fan, Sakurai wanted a character who could fit a classic brute playstyle, slow and powerful that is. From a glance and decent look, you'd say it's Ike that we have in smash, But realistically, Aether is so insanely overpowered you couldn't translate it to smash too well, it halves opponent's defenses and heals for half the damage you do, doing Sol and Luna in two seperate strikes, Ike is not only very powerful and durable, but he's very fast in his game, Ragnell can also shoot blade beams that are equal in damage to his sword strikes, For balance and to fit the vision he loses his speed, loses most of aether except for it's aesthetic strike, and loses Ragnell's sword beams, Hard to say exactly what to do to actually keep it Imo. Only if you wanted to keep it slow perhaps.

Also on a new tangent. I started thinking about Krystal's VA, ironically after a post about Ike's heroes VA. So Glidewell's last appearence was during Brawl, in which she leaked she was doing stuff in some manner for smash or that was the conclusion people had, which was after her last performance as her in the game. I've talked to her and she's not had any voice acting work with her since then as she told me recently like I've stated. And with that Grand Prix rumor going around It's hard for me to believe she wouldn't have already been contacted with that, and I'm pretty confident she didn't lie to me. I'd say based on the low success of Assault and Command, with her leaking information, and the general swapping of VA's SF does that Krystal will have a new voice actor. Hope she's good lol.
As long as she has a Estuary English accent, I will be okay, or maybe Alesia's under a NDA

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
So, after over a month of work, I've finally completed a moveset concept for Krystal. One reason why it took so long was because I was trying to keep her movements somewhat realistic. Having trained with a bo staff myself, I set a few rules in place. If I could not replicate the move, find a video of someone else doing the move, find the move in Star Fox Adventures, or be able to explain the movement, then the move was scrapped. I think in the end, I've made a pretty viable moveset for her. Feedback appreciated.

Overview

Overall, Krystal’s moveset takes heavy inspiration from Star Fox Adventures, as well as many real-world bo staff techniques. Krystal fights using her Cerinian Staff from Star Fox Adventures, although she does have some attacks without use of the staff. This makes Krystal very unique, not just in comparison to the rest of the Star Fox cast, but there is also no staff-based fighter yet seen in Smash.

Krystal is a defensive fighter, with plenty of long-ranged jabs and pokes using her staff to keep opponents at a distance. A lot of her attack animations require positioning, so one of her flaws is that some of her attacks have a somewhat slow start-up. However, her animations were designed to always end in a position where Krystal can quickly recover from.

There is a small gimmick to Krystal’s moveset, being her staff’s energy meter. Used by her staff’s various upgrades, this energy meter drains as she uses her special moves. When those moves are not being used, the energy meter slowly regenerates on its own, but it builds back up even faster when moves connect.

Attributes

Jump Heights

Fall Speed
Movement Speed
Normals

Neutral: Based off the neutral staff combo from Star Fox Adventures, Krystal’s Neutral is a four-hit attack using her Cerinian Staff. First input, Krystal leans in close for a jab with the butt of the staff into the opponent’s side. Second input, Krystal does wide swing with head of the staff, slamming it into the other side of the opponent. The third input leads into a 360° turning kick, where both legs have a hit box. First leg primes the opponent for the second, of which is the stronger combo finisher.

Dash: As she is sprinting, Krystal makes a leap forward, slamming the head of the staff straight down onto her opponent. Slower start-up, but great range and knockback. The staff itself does damage, but being hit by the head of the staff will spike an opponent. Useful, as the attack’s range can reach beyond a ledge. Based off the downward swing attacks from Star Fox Adventures.

Tilts

Side Tilt: Krystal sends her staff forward with a strong thrust. She leans into this attack, and combined with the staff’s length, makes this move a very long range poke. Can be angled to be slightly upward or downward. The head of the staff deals more damage and knockback.

Up Tilt: Based off an attack from Star Fox Adventures, Krystal lowers the head of the staff near the opponents feet, and raises it for an uppercut thrust. This launches opponents off their feet into the air, and makes for a perfect primer for follow-up attacks. The head of the staff does more damage and knockback.

Down Tilt: Krystal squats down and kicks her leg out to the side and performs a quick 45° leg sweep. Very quick attack, and great for set-ups.

Smashes

Side Smash: Krystal performs a small jump while making a 360° spin in the air. As she comes down, she slams the head of the staff into the opponent. The attack grants invincibility frames during the mid-air spin. Relatively slow start-up, but one of the strongest forward smashes when hit with the head of the staff. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Up Smash: Krystal couches down while charging, positioning the staff upright. She then shoots up onto her toes, shoving the staff straight upward with both arms. This attack has one of the highest vertical ranges in the series. Immensely powerful, especially if hit by the head of the staff at the end of the attack. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Down Smash: Krystal performs a 360° spin, kneeling down and performing a one-handed sweeping motion with the staff. One of Krystal’s few moves that hit behind her. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Aerials

Neutral Air: Krystal twists her upper body to the side and performs a skip catch spin. The 360° staff spin hits on both sides of her, due to the staff’s length, and hits multiple times. Autocancels after a short-hop, making it great for short hop approaches.

Forward Air: Krystal raised her staff upward, then violently slams the staff downward with both hands for a wide-arcing attack. If the head of the staff lands on an opponent during the downwards swing, it results in a meteor smash.

Back Air: Krystal turns around, swinging the staff one-handedly in an upwards arc. Has great range and knockback, especially if hit with the head of the staff, and autocancels after a short hop. Strong kill move.

Up Air: Krystal raises her staff using a close-grip and spins it in a helicopter-like fashion. With the staff centered above her, it covers a wide area. Great for juggling opponents.

Down Air: Krystal tucks her staff in and leans forward, performing a somersault motion. During the somersault, she sticks her tail out, creating a 90° downward facing swing. The last portion of her tail is the sweet spot, meteor smashing anyone who gets hit.

Throws

Grab: Krystal reaches forward with her back hand, while shifting her grip on the staff with the other hand. While holding an opponent, she keeps them at arm’s length and the staff is held where the head is pointed straight at the victim's chest.

Pummel: Using the head of the staff, Krystal repeatedly jabs it into the victim’s chest or abdomen. A slower pummel, but deals high percent damage.

Forward Throw: Krystal lets go of the grabbed victim and raises the bottom of the staff up for a small uppercut to stun the opponent. Once the staff is in a horizontal position, Krystal swiftly jabs them with the butt of the staff. Strong horizontal knockback.

Back Throw: Krystal positions the opponent behind her, then plants the end of her staff into the ground. Krystal then lifts herself up, and using the staff as a vault, performs a strong flying kick into the opponent’s back.

Up Throw: Krystal kneels down on one knee as she’s placing the upper half the staff underneath the grabbed opponent. Krystal then uses all her weight to force the other half of the staff down, using her knee as a fulcrum. Thus, shooting the grabbed opponent into the air. Strong kill move.

Down Throw: As she steps to the side, Krystal slams the opponent down onto the ground. She then lifts up her staff and performs a downward, vertical thrust into the victim’s spine. Easy to follow up with.

Get-Ups

Front Get-Up: Krystal pops up and around into a kneeling position, then spins the staff once around her neck.

Back Get-Up: Krystal sits up into a kneeling position and spins the staff once around her neck.

Ledge Attack: Krystal does a hard, one-armed swing with the staff across the ground.

Specials

Neutral Special: Fire Blast - This attack shoots a fiery projectile from the end of the staff, and consumes a very small amount of the staff’s energy meter. This attack cannot be charged or prolonged by holding its input. The fire blasts travel quickly, and do not expire after a certain distance.

Side Special: Ice Blast - This attack spouts an icy blast from the end of the staff. Holding down its input will cause the effects and range of the attack to become greater. If an enemy is within the ice blast for too long, they become frozen. The attack consumes a small amount of the staff’s energy meter, but the longer it’s held, the faster it drains.

Up Special: Rocket Boost - For this attack, Krystal places the staff in front of her and is boosted straight upwards. The longer the input is held, the faster and further the Rocket Boost carries Krystal. The more charge, the more energy consumed. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Down Special: Ground Quake - For this attack, Krystal lifts the staff above her head, then slams it onto the ground, causing an earthquake. The longer the input is held, the more range and power the Ground Quake will have. The more charge, the more energy consumed. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Final Smash: CloudRunner Raid - Krystal’s Final Smash is based off of the opening to Star Fox Adventures, where Krystal rides a CloudRunner as she attacks General Scales’ ship. For her Final Smash, Krystal summons the same CloudRunner, who carries her to the foreground of the stage. From here, Krystal uses her overcharged staff to fire powerful blasts onto the stage. No limit to blasts fired during the 15 seconds it is active.

Defenses

Shield: Krystal kneels down, standing the staff upright as it creates a force field around her. The force field does not shrink when hit, preventing shield stabbing. Rather, the blue force field will become more and more transparent. This is based off the Force Field staff ability from Star Fox Adventures.

Sidestep Dodge: Krystal tucks the staff in close and pivots to the side off her foot.

Forward Roll: Krystal plants the end of her staff into the ground in front of her and uses it to vault herself from Point A to B. As she vaults, she simply pulls herself up along the side of the staff.

Backward Roll: Krystal plants the end of her staff into the ground behind her and uses it to vault herself form Point A to B. As she vaults, she positions her body more horizontally, rather than upright. Based off the backwards dodge from Star Fox Adventures.

Extras

Entrance: Krystal flys in on the CloudRunner from the Star Fox Adventures opening.

Idle Animations
  • Animation 1: Krystal positions her staff across her upper back and shoulders, then twists from side to side to stretch.
  • Animation 2: Krystal stands the staff upright with one arm, closes her eyes, and looks down while placing her fingers against her temple.
Taunts
  • Up Taunt: Based off her victory animation from Star Fox: Assault, Krystal stands her staff upright with one hand, and leans forward. She shakes her finger with her free hand and says “You’re not ready yet!”

• Side Taunt: Krystal swings her staff one-handedly to the side and shouts “Is that the best you can do?”

• Down Taunt: Krystal leans back on one leg and twirls the staff three times with one hand by her side as she remarks “Had enough?”
Victory Animations
  • Animation 1: Krystal performs a 4-point strike, before twirling the staff behind her.
  • Animation 2: Krystal spins the staff and launches it into the air, catching it and holding the pose.
  • Animation 3: Krystal sheaths the staff on her back and turns to the CloudRunner beside her, closing her eyes and resting her head on the CloudRunner’s beak as she says “Thank-you.”
Special Victory Dialogue
  • Victory vs. Slippy: “Hurts when Fox isn’t here to watch your back, huh?” - Krystal
I’m not going to be too nitpicky, but the side special you came up with for Krystal seems a little too similar to the Ice Climbers’s down special called Blizzard.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I’m not going to be too nitpicky, but the side special you came up with for Krystal seems a little too similar to the Ice Climbers’s down special called Blizzard.
Pure coincidence. Her Side Special is based entirely on the Ice Blast from Star Fox Adventures. Only way to really make it different would be to give her the ability to angle it. Like how Bowser can tilt his head up and down during his Neutral Special.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

Overview

Attributes

Jump Heights

Fall Speed
Movement Speed
Normals

Tilts

Smashes

Aerials

Throws

Get-Ups

Specials

Defenses

Extras

Idle Animations
Taunts

Victory Animations
Special Victory Dialogue
I like this moveset. I know that this is a conceptual base and isn't intended to address every little detail, but I am curious to know a few things.

1. Does the Rocket Boost special have a hit box? If so, does the move do more damage the longer it's charged?
2. Is the freeze point of the Ice Blast entirely dependent on the amount of time the target spends inside the blast radius or does the hit percentage play a role in how quickly the effect takes hold?
3. Is there a bread and butter combo? A string you would see Krystal players going to frequently?
4. Based on this moveset, what would you say is Krystal's achilles heel or greatest weakness?
5. Who, in your opinion, is the best counter to Krystal?
6. Here's a sillier question: Can Fire Blast be pocketed by Villager's neutral B?

Thanks for sharing this. Believe it or not, a ton of people have a hard time visualizing what Krystal would even do or what she could bring that would separate her from all the other characters. I think this answers that question nicely and it's only one possibility! I've seen all kinds of interpretations, even ones that involve Assault's technology - Crusade does that, actually. Crusade's is a little frustrating, because while I don't think it's a bad moveset, it omits a chunk of the staff's abilities in favor of blasters and hand-to-hand attacks. It was nice to see something that runs in the opposite direction.

It's a shame that Alesia hasn't been contacted. She's so game for any project with this character and would give it her best shot. Who knows if we'll get that same dedication from a new VA. I hope it's Emilia Clarke, but who am I kidding? That would never happen. Did you know she guest starred in the Thunderbirds reboot? It would be the deepest of lore if she worked on the series that was inspired in part by Thunderbirds.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I like this moveset. I know that this is a conceptual base and isn't intended to address every little detail, but I am curious to know a few things.

1. Does the Rocket Boost special have a hit box? If so, does the move do more damage the longer it's charged?
2. Is the freeze point of the Ice Blast entirely dependent on the amount of time the target spends inside the blast radius or does the hit percentage play a role in how quickly the effect takes hold?
3. Is there a bread and butter combo? A string you would see Krystal players going to frequently?
4. Based on this moveset, what would you say is Krystal's achilles heel or greatest weakness?
5. Who, in your opinion, is the best counter to Krystal?
6. Here's a sillier question: Can Fire Blast be pocketed by Villager's neutral B?

Thanks for sharing this. Believe it or not, a ton of people have a hard time visualizing what Krystal would even do or what she could bring that would separate her from all the other characters. I think this answers that question nicely and it's only one possibility! I've seen all kinds of interpretations, even ones that involve Assault's technology - Crusade does that, actually. Crusade's is a little frustrating, because while I don't think it's a bad moveset, it omits a chunk of the staff's abilities in favor of blasters and hand-to-hand attacks. It was nice to see something that runs in the opposite direction.
Appreciate the feedback. Now, for your questions:
1) If it did, it'd be the upper portion or the staff from her hand up. Would be a very narrow hitbox, but would make it so she can't be spikes while using it for recovery.

2) For balance, I'd say probably not. The longer the input is held, the farther the Ice Blast reaches, and the more strength it has. The already increasing strength in addition to high percentages causing freezes to happen sooner may be too much.

3) I like this question; It's a challenge, ha. Here's a few example combos:
  • Forward Throw/Back Throw -> Forward Air (Near ledge, early kill potential)
  • Down Throw -> Neutral Air/Up Air (Medium Percents/High Percents)
  • Down Tilt -> Forward Tilt (Upward Angle) -> Forward Air
  • Jab-Jab (Cancel) -> Up Tilt -> Neutral Air
4) Krystal' has a lot of range, and recovers quickly, but her star-up times aren't the greatest. Also, since her staff is so narrow, any thrusting attacks with the staff have a thin hit box, such as her Forward Tilt.

5) Fast characters that are able to get past Krystal's range would be her weakness. Sonic and Fox both have tools that would help them get past the staff.

6) Nope.

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet

Overview

Attributes

Jump Heights

Fall Speed
Movement Speed
Normals

Tilts

Smashes

Aerials

Throws

Get-Ups

Specials

Defenses

Extras

Idle Animations
Taunts

Victory Animations
Special Victory Dialogue
Wow I have to say this was really fun to read. I love reading up on character stats and you appeared to have put a load of effort and well researched content into this moveset so well done on that. Out of curiosity did you consider any potential moves she could theoretically have for custom moves in game, like they used for smash 4. Given her use of weaponry in Assault I always figured that any additional moves she could have would be based on using the grenades, rockets launchers, mini-guns etc. found in the story and multiplayer, and potentially allowing her to have a mix of both melee and blaster based combat in her moveset (which I dont think many, if any of the fighters in the series have).

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Wow I have to say this was really fun to read. I love reading up on character stats and you appeared to have put a load of effort and well researched content into this moveset so well done on that. Out of curiosity did you consider any potential moves she could theoretically have for custom moves in game, like they used for smash 4. Given her use of weaponry in Assault I always figured that any additional moves she could have would be based on using the grenades, rockets launchers, mini-guns etc. found in the story and multiplayer, and potentially allowing her to have a mix of both melee and blaster based combat in her moveset (which I dont think many, if any of the fighters in the series have).
Appreciate the feedback.

Custom moves that I had conceptualized were based off her existing specials. Figure I may as well post them, since they were brought up.
Neutral Special
  • Custom 1: Fire Burst - A chargeable variation of the Fire Blast. Slower fire rate and travel speed, but the more charge, the more powerful and large the blast becomes. At max charge, would make for a strong disjointed kill move.
  • Custom 2: Fire Flare - Rather than firing off a blast forward, the Fire Flare simply creates a fiery explosion at the staff's tip. Sacrifices the option for range, but useful for pokes and set-ups.

Side Special
  • Custom 1: Ice Cannon - Like the original Ice Blast, but reversed. Instead of becoming more powerful the longer it is held, it starts off at max power and drains after usage. Lasts half as long due to consuming double the energy meter, though.
  • Custom 2: Ice Beam - Rather than a icy blast over an area, the Ice Beam shoots a solid beam of ice forward. The beam has a slow start-up and limited range, but is long and instantly freezes upon contact.

Up Special
  • Custom 1: Rocket Thrust - Although it doesn't go as far, the Rocket Thrust carries Krystal much faster and does more damage. Cannot be charged, which means quick inputs yield quick results.
  • Custom 2: Aimed Boost - Slower than the normal Rocket Boost in terms of travel speed and charge rate, the Aimed Boost allows Krystal to aim her Up Special within a 90° angle above her.

Down Special
  • Custom 1: Aftershock - The Aftershock variation of the Ground Quake deals less damage and knockback, but creates aftershocks where the attack was used. The longer the charge, the more aftershocks occur.
  • Custom 2: Ground Shift - Rather than causing a damaging pulse, opponents caught within the Ground Shift's area of effect will become buried. The longer the charge, the stronger the burial effects are.
This applies to everyone, but feel free to create your own custom move variations. The main reason why I made her customs based off the staff is simply because I prefer it. Although I'd happily accept her with a Star Fox: Assault inspired moveset or customs, I think another Star Fox character would be better off with those tools...

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Appreciate the feedback.

Custom moves that I had conceptualized were based off her existing specials. Figure I may as well post them, since they were brought up.
Neutral Special
  • Custom 1: Fire Burst - A chargeable variation of the Fire Blast. Slower fire rate and travel speed, but the more charge, the more powerful and large the blast becomes. At max charge, would make for a strong disjointed kill move.
  • Custom 2: Fire Flare - Rather than firing off a blast forward, the Fire Flare simply creates a fiery explosion at the staff's tip. Sacrifices the option for range, but useful for pokes and set-ups.
Side Special
  • Custom 1: Ice Cannon - Like the original Ice Blast, but reversed. Instead of becoming more powerful the longer it is held, it starts off at max power and drains after usage. Lasts half as long due to consuming double the energy meter, though.
  • Custom 2: Ice Beam - Rather than a icy blast over an area, the Ice Beam shoots a solid beam of ice forward. The beam has a slow start-up and limited range, but is long and instantly freezes upon contact.
Up Special
  • Custom 1: Rocket Thrust - Although it doesn't go as far, the Rocket Thrust carries Krystal much faster and does more damage. Cannot be charged, which means quick inputs yield quick results.
  • Custom 2: Aimed Boost - Slower than the normal Rocket Boost in terms of travel speed and charge rate, the Aimed Boost allows Krystal to aim her Up Special within a 90° angle above her.
Down Special
  • Custom 1: Aftershock - The Aftershock variation of the Ground Quake deals less damage and knockback, but creates aftershocks where the attack was used. The longer the charge, the more aftershocks occur.
  • Custom 2: Ground Shift - Rather than causing a damaging pulse, opponents caught within the Ground Shift's area of effect will become buried. The longer the charge, the stronger the burial effects are.
This applies to everyone, but feel free to create your own custom move variations. The main reason why I made her customs based off the staff is simply because I prefer it. Although I'd happily accept her with a Star Fox: Assault inspired moveset or customs, I think another Star Fox character would be better off with those tools...
Funny you mention that because I've made kits for tens of characters way back, including even general scales lol

:Wolf (Brawl Outfit has a small boost like entity on his back and spiked knuckles)
"Let's have fun with this thing."
*a wolfen flys in and wolf backflips out of it as it boosts away*
[Leader of Star Wolf]
{*Does three kicks whilst spinning on one foot & says, "What's the matter, scared?"*}
; ("You've gotten soft, pup!") --if beaten Fox
-Stats
good damage
good grab strength
good aerials
good speed
moderate weight
good fall speed
moderate recovery
decent combo ability
cannot prone
can walljump
great dodges

(Unique Mechanics)
his dodges render himself invisible, the camera will not orient until he reappears and no effects will give his position away
+33% ending lag to his dodges

Movement:
Idle: he stands firm with his arms crossed facing forward, breathing normally
Walk: clinches hands into fists and walks forward looking angerily forward
Run: he leans forward with his hands like his brawl idle and sprints
Jump: he kicks up with one foot and holds his arms up
Double Jump: he does a quick double frontflip with a small whitish-blue energy trail behind him
Fall: he holds his limbs out in an X pose and his tail wags behind him
Croutch: he goes low onto the ground like his down taunt
Pullup: he kicks off edge of the stage with his feet and uses his hands to pull up quickly
Pullup Attack: he kicks off the edge and claws forward, stands up quickly
Recovering: he pushes off with his palms and stands up
Recovering Attack: he spins around violently and the claws on his body hit from the front first to the back second in rather quick succession onto his legs before standing up

Button 1:
Standard: he reachs far forward with a left underangled hook, he then chomps down on them before kicking away with his right foot
Side Smash: the booster on his back fires up, if he's touching the enemy they will take damage and weak knockback from that hit, he kicks forward with considerable damage decent knockback, and finally spikes emit from the bottom of his shoes, dealing weak damage but high knockback, he then falls onto his back on the ground, moderate ending lag, decent distance to the attack
Side Tilt: he leans forward and thrusts his arm forward, easy to land with good damage and launch power, decent ending lag
Dash Attack: he boosts forward with his arms cross protecting his face as he charges forward, deals more damage at the start of the attack
Up Smash: he quickly hops onto his palms bring his legs forward and then quickly bringing them back down, has long reach and good launch power, launching straight upwards
Up Tilt: he claws upwards in succession with both hands once each
Down Smash: he faces the screen and squats down as he brings the claws on his arms outwards, has great launch power, deals decent damage
Down Tilt: he chomps forward quickly, good speed and launch, decent damage

Button 2:
Neutral B: (Lead Onslaught) he draws two machine guns and aims diagonally away from him at the ground and fires, he slowly brings them across, an opponent hit by this is carried across the attack, deals considerable damage but doesn't launch, can be cancelled by shielding but cannot roll out of
Recovery Move: (Howling Climb) Up+B he gets coated in whitish-blue energy which causes minor damage and pops them up, he moves diagonally to the direction chosen and a trail follows him, if the enemies are knocked up by the attack they are carried across the trail, at the end of the attack an energy wolf's head appears and chomps down in the chosen direction which can be chosen at the apex, wolf is vulnerable at the end of the attack
Punish Move: (Boost Pounce) Side+B he boosts forward slightly off the ground with his claws up and lands on an opponent, they skid across the ground based off the weight and damage based off the enemy, hitting b repeatidly will cause wolf to slash at the opponent, he's kicked off eventually and lands with a set animation with decent ending lag
Utility Move: (Crescent Pulse) Down+B he gets intangiblity frames and creates a quick pulse around himself that reflects projectiles at a regular rate, this field also pulses the opponent away based off their weight, it also creates rotating damaging fields if held for a short duration
these rotate around him at a distance dealing low damage and pops them up a bit, moderate ending lag

Aerials:
Neutral: he rolls rapidly, absorbing an opponent somewhat dealing multiple ticks of damage, moderate ending lag
Fair: he throws his body weight into his right fist and punchs forward, has high launch power, decent speed and good damage
Bair: he kicks back with his right foot that emits a spike from it's sole
Uair: he kick flips upwards iwth both feet once in succession, hard to miss with, both don't generally hit
Dair: he rolls quickly facing screen with his claws out and spikes emitting from his soles before finishing with a powerful rolling down kick without the spikes, can be used to kill off ledges on characters with poor vertical recovery

Grabs:
Grabbing: he reaches out with his left hand and grabs
Grab Hit: he gut punches them with his right fist (high damage with a decently quick rate)
Forward Throw: he draws from his machine gun slot his bladed blaster before stabbing them with the blade and shooting them off of it, launches far, preventing most follow-ups)
Back Throw: he draws from both his machine gun slots his bladed blasters before stabbing them with them and turning around before blasting them away, good launch and damage with decent ending lag)
Up Throw: he chucks them upwards before kicking them away, good launch power and decent ending lag)
Down Throw: he kicks them down to the ground as he jumps off them and draws both of his machine guns, he fills them full of lead as he falls back down to stomp on them, launching them straight upwards

Shield:
Shielding: he holds up his right hand and croutchs a bit, looking forward sternly
Down Dodge: he vanishes before reappearing in returning from a croutch pose
Air Dodge: he vanishes before reappearing in a returning from a leaning away pose with his limbs and body
Forward Dodge: he vanishes before reappearing in a recovering from sprint animation
Back Dodge: he vanishes before reappearing in a reorienting from a kickflip animation
Quick Land: he lands with one hand on the ground on both legs before standing up quickly
Quick Land Forward: he vanishes before reappearing in an exiting from a roll animation
Quick Land Backward: he vanishes before reappearing in an exiting from a backroll animation

As for custom Krystal moves I'm sure I can think of something

Neutral Special: Spirit Blast
Krystal charges up energy in her palms and fires a blast from them and her abdomen (based from SFA's intro)
an attack that deals a bit more damage and travels a bit faster if you hold down the button, this attack travels somewhat slow but deals extra damage to shields.

Side Special: Soul Frost
Krystal's staff extends and the staff's emitter lets out a small pulse of ice, stunning the opponent in place, allowing her to exploit her long reach for a combo, has considerable ending lag.

Down Special: Ground Shatter
the pulse deals less damage and fires slower, but deals extra launch force and hitstun

Up Special: Comet Boost
this move fires faster but has considerably shorter recover distance and enables a competent kill move with decent damage and good launch.

In any case, 22 days till e3 kids. Almost time to see if the Grand Prix rumor pans out, and If Krystal will be shown this e3 if she's in it. Frankly I'm still banking on DLC as her inclusion due to the nature of the character, the SF game and her fans.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I've designed some alternate palette swaps for Krystal.

The details for each one can be read here.

Last edited:

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
I completely support Krystal for smash!

I support her with the staff as that would likely result in a far more unique playstyle.

And so she can wear that sexy outfit from SF Adventures

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The good thing about the Star Fox GP rumor is that if true, Krystal's chances to make the Smash roster as a playable fighter skyrocket
Expect detractor arguments to change from "no recent appearances" to "spin-offs don't count".

Because the following apparently don't exist in Smash:

Dr. Mario
Yoshi
Wario
Pokemon Stadium 1&2
Mario Kart stages
The entire Super Mario series if you think about it
All those Barrel Blast trophies.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Expect detractor arguments to change from "no recent appearances" to "spin-offs don't count".

Dr. Mario
Yoshi
Wario
Pokemon Stadium 1&2
Mario Kart stages
So their arguments would lose all weight

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The kit having the energy gimmick is neat because it means her specials can be beefier for having it, allowing something fast and combo-oriented to be able to deal some powerful hits. Though It'd be easy to overextend and lose a recovery option so you'd have to be careful.
The energy gimmick, like many of the recent gimmicks added to characters, feels unnecessary. I would much rather we didn't add another bar to a character prtrait for no reason.

But, rather than cutting the gimmick entirely, I would just cut half of it. The half that says she gets bonus recovery from landing hits. That way it becomes nothing more than a Bowser-esque cooldown that functions over multiple moves. No need to add an energy bar because it's actually be intuitive then.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Dr. Mario
Yoshi
Wario
Pokemon Stadium 1&2
Mario Kart stages
Geno was also a character that was considered and wanted by Sakurai despite his only major appearance being in a 1996 Mario spin-off game (and to boot one of Mario's lesser-known spin-off games).

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet

Dr. Mario
Yoshi
Wario
Pokemon Stadium 1&2
Mario Kart stages
Come to think of it, if that mindset was followed then wouldn't popular characters like Waluigi, Daisy (or even possibly Geno) etc. be exempt from consideration as well, which makes me think that hopefully that statement wouldn't be used as a negative argument towards a characters chances for inclusion. As far as I can see should something like SF:Grand Prix be a reality then it would only help to increase her chances especially if released this year or alongside a mainline title with her in it.

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
Please tell me Waluigi is exempt from consideration. He's such a horrible troll pick.
To be honest after first seeing him in Brawl as an assist trophy I could actually see him as a viable character for inclusion, having a moveset based on some of the sports titles like his tennis racket. I do acknowledge though that his significant popularity in recent times does give me feelings similarly to Goku or Shrek in terms of almost being a meme choice rather than a genuine choice for people which would be a shame as I like to think that people choose characters for their own personal preference rather than simply following the crowd (I imagine this isn't the case for most people but its a concern I sometimes feel all the same), and Waluigi does have some merit towards making it in (given the recent focus he seems to have on Twitter and in the promotion for Mario Tennis Aces, I can almost see this as Nintendo's hint towards his inclusion).

I suppose from my perspective I like to see characters I can make a connection towards (maybe due to nostalgia or because I can emotionally sympathise towards their character/ story- arc among other reasons) which is something I dont feel as much towards Waluigi, though if they can give him a decent moveset and a bit of credibility beyond simply being a comic relief character then I can imagine I could probably get behind his inclusion even if he is quite low on my want list at the moment.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Waluigi's one major role was in Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix and everything that I've ever seen of him seems as though it was actively designed to annoy. I am not against a sports character but I am against it being Waluigi.

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
Waluigi's one major role was in Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix and everything that I've ever seen of him seems as though it was actively designed to annoy. I am not against a sports character but I am against it being Waluigi.
Out of curiosity do you have any preferences for sports characters or any more spin-off focused characters in general you'd like to see make it in?

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Out of curiosity do you have any preferences for sports characters or any more spin-off focused characters in general you'd like to see make it in?
Not to be a jerk here, but the current conversation doesn’t really make any sense in a Krystal/Star Fox thread now does it? Lol

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
Not to be a jerk here, but the current conversation doesn’t really make any sense in a Krystal/Star Fox thread now does it? Lol
Haha yeah I suppose I was getting off topic there (something for the general discussion thread I think) sorry about that. I've found I sometimes can get distracted very easily by something and then lose focus overall XD.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised we never got a football with staves minigame in adventures. I got the impression that Rare loved that kind of thing.
After reading this I'd love them to incorporate some mini-games into a future title, maybe as a side quest or even as just a small little extra. Not sure what exactly they could include that doesn't derive itself from the main modes like arena battles or shooting galleries, though I suppose for something like the theoretical Grand Prix game they could take some inspiration from the mission mode found in Mario Kart DS; unless that game itself is intended as an extra add on for a main title instead.

I suppose at this point though I'm simply grasping at straws as to what comes to pass at E3, but either way its been really fun speculating about the future of the series, its characters and what involvement they may have in Smash. Here's hoping to hearing some good news in 2 weeks time :).

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Takaya Imamura.png CUTHBERT WHY, WHY DID YOU DO THIS. *sobbing* nothing I can do about it, not like I can talk to Imamura. All I ask is for Krystal to be a decent character atleast once, I fail to understand why this isn't accomplishable. Either way it's coming down to the wire and there's not much we can do. I'm pretty curious to see how star fox is treated this smash brothers. It could really go any direction and we don't have long to wait anymore. I'm hoping with the leaks going around they decide to talk about the SF game at E3 and not hold off on it because we really need that attention if we want to make DLC. Unless for some reason they try to advertise for it, which I'm not really sure if they'd do that.

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
View attachment 146118 CUTHBERT WHY, WHY DID YOU DO THIS. *sobbing* nothing I can do about it, not like I can talk to Imamura. All I ask is for Krystal to be a decent character atleast once, I fail to understand why this isn't accomplishable. Either way it's coming down to the wire and there's not much we can do. I'm pretty curious to see how star fox is treated this smash brothers. It could really go any direction and we don't have long to wait anymore. I'm hoping with the leaks going around they decide to talk about the SF game at E3 and not hold off on it because we really need that attention if we want to make DLC. Unless for some reason they try to advertise for it, which I'm not really sure if they'd do that.

Imamura should really stay away from the story & characters. The good thing is, we already know that none of the endings is real. In fact, Cuthbert talked about "alternative universes" in a Twitter conversation with the KA, when asked about the endings.

I think her role in Assault can actually be considered decent, at least by SF standards. I'd already be happy to see her like that again. But I know what you mean. Krystal could be so much more, and I think all of us here know it. Cerinia, magical abilities, telepathy, staff etc. That's a pretty solid foundation to build upon. In addition to that, they should also give her a more distinct personality next time. They tried it with Command, but went the entirely wrong direction, based on what we had already known and seen from her in the other games.

All we can do right now is hope that Nintendo will finally recognize Krystal's potential, whether it's Smash or SF.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Imamura should really stay away from the story & characters. The good thing is, we already know that none of the endings is real. In fact, Cuthbert talked about "alternative universes" in a Twitter conversation with the KA, when asked about the endings.

I think her role in Assault can actually be considered decent, at least by SF standards. I'd already be happy to see her like that again. But I know what you mean. Krystal could be so much more, and I think all of us here know it. Cerinia, magical abilities, telepathy, staff etc. That's a pretty solid foundation to build upon. In addition to that, they should also give her a more distinct personality next time. They tried it with Command, but went the entirely wrong direction, based on what we had already known and seen from her in the other games.

All we can do right now is hope that Nintendo will finally recognize Krystal's potential, whether it's Smash or SF.
She was at her best in assault, which is still a one-off trope, though that's how every other character is so eh, not really that bad. Following a bit of the interview, cuthbert actually does like assault's direction like the rest of us but didn't really enjoy the controls. So if he ever got to make one again... Well I'd rather keep Imamura away from the writing, which would probably happen regardless. There's also several rumors going around that this roster has a bunch of fan favorites like Ridley, King K Rool and Geno, I can't help but hope Krystal is in that somewhere considering her long time request is comparable to theirs. If not we'll have to kick up support for DLC, which can totally happen if the game gets announced this E3.

HairMythe

Smash Cadet
Folks, remember, there's an alternate universe where Krystal is a cat, she's playable in smash since Brawl as the star of her own franchise alongside her brother, and last year, Dinosaur planet : Breath of the Wild was a huge success. What's more, everyone in this thread is begging for Tricky to graduate from being an assist trophy.

More seriously, Krystal always had tremendous potential as a character, but it's really hard for her to shine in Starfox, now, as a secondary character. There's ton of things nintendo could explore for her backstory, but I doubt we ever hear about Cerinia again. Her relationship with Fox is probably the only relevant part of her character nowadays, but after Command's shenanigans... Sadly I can't hope we see her shine one day.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Folks, remember, there's an alternate universe where Krystal is a cat, she's playable in smash since Brawl as the star of her own franchise alongside her brother, and last year, Dinosaur planet : Breath of the Wild was a huge success. What's more, everyone in this thread is begging for Tricky to graduate from being an assist trophy.

More seriously, Krystal always had tremendous potential as a character, but it's really hard for her to shine in Starfox, now, as a secondary character. There's ton of things nintendo could explore for her backstory, but I doubt we ever hear about Cerinia again. Her relationship with Fox is probably the only relevant part of her character nowadays, but after Command's shenanigans... Sadly I can't hope we see her shine one day.
She's always been important to the games shes in, But I don't see why we should expect anything to let her be a protagonist. I wouldn't give up on her unless the SF grand prix game comes out and Krystal isn't it in, they could totally give her a sub campaign if they wanted.

Also I'm not sure I want a universe where tricky is a playable character lmao. In any case as we get this close I'm pretty hopeful but I'm rather nervous. Krystal support isn't nearly as loud as those characters since everyone flopped to Wolf and don't want her because they feel threatened by her presence to Wolf coming back. I suppose it's definitely an ever present risk that she's not in but I'm not entirely convinced she's not in it. If they want it to be the ultimate smash brothers roster, they'd need to put Krystal in, She's been a top-request since brawl, sure she was never the forefront but she mingled with the highest popularity requests. She's deserving of a spot if they are.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Sadly there's also an alternate universe where Krystal is a cat and is the Zelda equivalent of Bano Kazooie and had a poor follow-up game on the XBox360 where they tried to ape Devil May Cry.

"What might have been" is a fun and sad thought.

With the ballot and how much a squeaky fart Nintendo's post-Smash-to-pre-Switch line up was (outside of Splatoon) she may be in with a good chance.

Last edited:

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet

I wouldn't consider her a secondary character. The actual SF canon still consists of the games from 64 to Command (could be Assault as we still don't know if Command affected the canon at all). Everything that happened afterwards (64 remake & 64 reimagining) is pretty much irrelevant to the canon. Krystal appears in 75% of the actual canon timeline, always as a playable character. Last year, Nintendo released the "Playing with Super Power" book alongside the SNES classic, which actually confirmed her as a main character of the series. And now that Zero failed, there's no reason to keep her out of the series any longer. When it comes to her potential, I have to agree with you. Despite all of the things she could have going, Nintendo will probably never use any of it. Nonetheless, I remain hopeful ;) Also, it's not like they used any of the other characters' potential to the fullest extent.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
In this universe, does Nintendo now work for Microsoft, making nothing but poorly recieved augmented reality and papercraft addons for the Kinect, leaving Rare with rights to a few odds and ends like the cult classic "Mario Kart" but not the plumber himself who everyone wants in the next SSB installment?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
you're gonna feel awfully silly when Star Fox Beach Volleyball gets announced at E3. (the starting playable character is Pigma and you have to unlock everyone else.)
That's a Nintendo Selects game if I've ever heard, especially if it's got a skinship minigame. Pigma is the hottest hunk of ham in the Lylat system and I'd love to start off as him. But... As much as I like this idea, I'd rather be flying down sector Z as Pink Gold Krystal in Grand Prix. God, can you believe this is now a real possibility? It still hasn't sunk in for me yet. I can't even begin to imagine what this game is like. For all the Retro fans who were expecting some sort of groundbreaking original IP, I think you've got an equally mind-blowing experience waiting for you.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
That's a Nintendo Selects game if I've ever heard, especially if it's got a skinship minigame. Pigma is the hottest hunk of ham in the Lylat system and I'd love to start off as him. But... As much as I like this idea, I'd rather be flying down sector Z as Pink Gold Krystal in Grand Prix. God, can you believe this is now a real possibility? It still hasn't sunk in for me yet. I can't even begin to imagine what this game is like. For all the Retro fans who were expecting some sort of groundbreaking original IP, I think you've got an equally mind-blowing experience waiting for you.
The pokemon rumor panned out, I'm imagining that this rumor is going to pan out aswell. We could actually see Krystal resurge in a big way. I don't know if they'll announce it this E3, but they have to with all the rumors going out now. They'd have to imagine that people would ask for Krystal loudly if Wolf comes back, and I find it hard to believe they'll cut him out again. If not I imagine there will be a fresh bandwagoning for Krystal again. One thing i've found is most people don't necessarily care too much about specific characters, they sorta just like the hype train. We're lucky to have as many dedicated fans as we do, but I imagine the less confident and more hopeless Krystal fans will come back if she's in this game, which would be blasphemic to exclude her. They've bound to have learned that nintendo fans are more into their characters than per say fans of other companies. With retro on it, and high confidence from miyamoto, who I'd imagine is starting to keep his hands of out things. The game ought to be good, While it's not really the genre any of us expected, I'm inclined to believe it ought to be an interesting take. For our sake I hope literally anyone else writes the game. It's so close I can hardly wait knowing there's a chance I could have so many things that I'd be interested in, I haven't touched my switch for quite some time. Emily is saying the roster is aimed at being the ultimate smash roster. Well I'm still of the mind that Krystal was a well requested character. It's really only this current cycle where people have lost interest in her, which hardly matters because that's post smash ballot, which she had high requests, from Nintendo's eyes she may still be pretty popular, Don't forget that Snes classic book that's endorsed by nintendo which has her as a main bullet point, and nicely mentioned in the gamecube titles despite her having no place in the book realistically. This game is also quite obviously not ment to cater to the 64 group, it returns to the innovation set in motion from the games sequels, and again with how this kind of game is likely to be a spin off would have to be character focused. Excluding arguably the most popular character independent of smash sounds ridiculous to me. Considering how popular she is, It's not unrealistic to imagine it could go even higher if they put her in Smash, they just need something to market with her, amiibo, SF Grand Prix, GC VC, sounds pretty good to me. There's really no reason to stray from including her, There's so little hardcore SF fans that pissing them off, which mind you is basically a guarantee with anything they do, the games sell so little, this big gamble to expand into a casual audience is just a really good idea, even whether or not it fails, not from a financial standpoint mind you, but for the series it is. the BotW thing was a flavor of the month thing, an RPG is too slow-paced, a racing game is actually a good genre to fuse with, though I never considered the notion before. Also her being furbait isn't really an issue for nintendo, it was quite flaunted as her fans will remember in adventures, and was noted with her assault getup, others would also mention some pokemon even are also like this, hell even lucario is. Realistically irrelevance is a practical issue, but that could really be completely gone.

TL;DR Krystal's chance is probably now

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
With the recently rumoured Pokemon Lets Go titles being confirmed recently I wonder if that adds any weight towards the Grand Prix rumour coming true as well. Can't speak for everyone else but I feel it makes that reality a little bit more possible and was a thought that was going through my mind as I watched the trailer. I also wonder what the reveal means for the other games leaked in that E3 line-up leak including that Lylat System title and whether that's now a possibility to be revealed as well. I suppose the nature of that leak as well as the lack of any real talk surrounding since its reveal makes it far less likely to happen, but with these recent reveals coming true it makes it seem like it could be a great time to be a fan of the series when E3 begins.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And remember if Krystal's not in the base game, don't lose hope. After all there's the DLC to consider and if the rumors are true, there's no cuts from Smash 4 (In before the DLC characters are all the non-Smash 4 Pokemon.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom