• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Omg, what's the link to that page? I forgot that some of the requests were published. Very interesting! Krystal always did have her fans in Japan and now they're asking for to be in Smash Bros Switch. This particular fan says that if she's on the roster, it's a guaranteed buy.

Mr. Brownstone said that she's also pretty popular in Germany, which was something I wasn't expecting at all. It's good to see fans across the globe coming together to share a common interest.
Yea i've heard that from him too, It's pretty hard to gauge that since I haven't seen any mention of german content, But I'm inclined to believe him, maybe Mr. Brownstone Mr. Brownstone can provide a link to german site in support of Krystal? because having japan, US and german popularity would definitely be something in the eyes of nintendo.

you can only find them in the waybackmachine but I haven't came across a page that it Didn't have, if the page returns an error just try using a different date. https://web.archive.org/web/20060621175747/http://www.smashbros.com/jp/toukou/bn/no1_1.html
The krystal stuff is a considerable distance in, but there's still some interesting insight, albeit old on smash characters and what is apparently worth showing.

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
Yea i've heard that from him too, It's pretty hard to gauge that since I haven't seen any mention of german content, But I'm inclined to believe him, maybe Mr. Brownstone Mr. Brownstone can provide a link to german site in support of Krystal? because having japan, US and german popularity would definitely be something in the eyes of nintendo.
Here you have all the Krystal-related stuff from the german Smash community (smashlabs). Mostly positive and happening during the ballot (including some confirmed votes!) and even prior, I think. The very first one already says: “Please...I just want to have Krystal. Simply because...Krystal.” Later we have someone saying that she is, along with Falco, their favorite SF character. There's also a character thread for Smash Switch that has people already suggesting her. It's the fourth one, from March 12. German fans agree that Krystal's staff moveset has lots of potential and would be unique & refreshing. They also think that she's been in the shadow of the other SF characters for too long, and deserves more attention. One of them even said that by making it into Smash, she could finally biff Fox on the nose xD Oh, and most of them actually seem to prefer her over Wolf. Some mentioned Slippy along with her as well. While even more unlikely than Slippy, we actually had someone requesting Panther and her to become playable characters during the ballot; and in the Smash Switch character thread we also have a person suggesting Leon and Krystal as SF newcomers. It really seems like the german fanbase is far more accepting when it comes to those characters, especially Krystal. I've only found a few anti-Krystal comments, but they were not nearly as bad as the ones coming from the american fanbase. In fact, some of them were quite amusing, and that rarely happens.

Krystal is also quite popular among the german SF fanbase. For instance, when some of the german gaming websites picked up on the Hashimoto Tweet, the reaction in the comments was pretty much the opposite of what was going on in America, where people were almost celebrating a Krystal-free game. In Germany, however, people were upset, even saying they wouldn't buy the game due to the lack of Krystal. The problem with the german fanbase is that it's not too active/vocal, and that doesn't just apply to Krystal alone. They only voice up when something big happens, but then it's mostly positive. It definitely felt good browsing through these german threads for you guys. Still, I rather follow the English-speaking communities as they are far more active...even if it means that I'll have to take the risk of seeing more anti-Krystal stuff every now and then. But we're all used to it by now, I guess.

Last edited:

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Krystal has a hard road ahead of her. With the Star Fox series on the verge of death and the last main game she appeared in was back in 2006, it is no easy task for her to make it as a playable fighter. I feel like Wolf has a better chance of returning.

With that being said I think she would be a cool inclusion. If they implement her staff and telepathic abilities correctly we could have a pretty unique Star Fox character in Smash 5. So although I think her chances are low, I am in support.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Here you have all the Krystal-related stuff from the german Smash community (smashlabs). Mostly positive and happening during the ballot (including some confirmed votes!) and even prior, I think. The very first one already says: “Please...I just want to have Krystal. Simply because...Krystal.” Later we have someone saying that she is, along with Falco, their favorite SF character. There's also a character thread for Smash Switch that has people already suggesting her. It's the fourth one, from March 12. German fans agree that Krystal's staff moveset has lots of potential and would be unique & refreshing. They also think that she's been in the shadow of the other SF characters for too long, and deserves more attention. One of them even said that by making it into Smash, she could finally biff Fox on the nose xD Oh, and most of them actually seem to prefer her over Wolf. Some mentioned Slippy along with her as well. While even more unlikely than Slippy, we actually had someone requesting Panther and her to become playable characters during the ballot; and in the Smash Switch character thread we also have a person suggesting Leon and Krystal as SF newcomers. It really seems like the german fanbase is far more accepting when it comes to those characters, especially Krystal. I've only found a few anti-Krystal comments, but they were not nearly as bad as the ones coming from the american fanbase. In fact, some of them were quite amusing, and that rarely happens.

Krystal is also quite popular among the german SF fanbase. For instance, when some of the german gaming websites picked up on the Hashimoto Tweet, the reaction in the comments was pretty much the opposite of what was going on in America, where people were almost celebrating a Krystal-free game. In Germany, however, people were upset, even saying they wouldn't buy the game due to the lack of Krystal. The problem with the german fanbase is that it's not too active/vocal, and that doesn't just apply to Krystal alone. They only voice up when something big happens, but then it's mostly positive. It definitely felt good browsing through these german threads for you guys. Still, I rather follow the English-speaking communities as they are far more active...even if it means that I'll have to take the risk of seeing more anti-Krystal stuff every now and then. But we're all used to it by now, I guess.
That's really quite good lol, I doubt it matters nearly as much outside of the ballot if they're active or not as the ballot will likely be a better source of information for character choices than these online communities, seeing as Krystal support basically became rebirthed during that time in america aswell perhaps her popularity is still loud outside of the echo chambers. Though that can apply to any character. But let us not forget that Wolf actually had some pretty loud negative reception for being a Fox clone, and amusingly, not being Krystal. Then everyone flipflops when he was cut and wants him back. I doubt Sakurai forgot this information. and Sakurai was not completely satisified with how Wolf came out himself, and what people really seem to want is fun, interesting movesets, Well that's been Krystal's selling point for a while. It's nice to see people still supporting her there too. And there's still those 2015 data collection by pushdustin, along with a recent tweet that made the rounds in the krystal community showing her japanese popularity aswell, So people can throw it around as they will, but she's not really that unpopular. I'm still of the mind of the dual trailer out in august or something, only half a year to go...

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Just hopping on to see how everyone is doing. You guys make me proud! You have been busy! haha
Following back on my twitter post I started browsing the requests on the waybackmachine, for some reason I thought It only had 50 entries that he shared... well I'm in 240 requests. I was able to actually find the Krystal requests that it mentioned, one of them stood out to me, and I guess it stood out to Sakurai aswell since they published them and he responded to some of those he posted. It's google translated so you can't really judge it fully lol
Speaking of that I found a few more interesting things reading this, considering my previous posts there were several ones that I skimmed through that talked about ZSS being sexy, clearly the fans enjoying. That wouldn't mean anything if it wasn't something the company, and likely Sakurai himself seemed completely fine with brazenly displaying, Bayonetta also shows that. And he also replied to someone, provided it wasn't in the context of characters, but touched upon things being good for one person are bad for another person, and that you should strive for kindness, But perhaps it could apply to characters? I also found what looked like Sakurai's old rules, saying they need a nintendo legacy, and can't be manga characters lol.
That's a good find. The google translate is great, but we get a decent idea what they are saying. The translation is pretty entertaining though haha. That tidbit on Sakurai's old rules is also interesting, hopefully that means that that tweet from funimation won't gain any more momentum than it already has with Goku making it into smash. Something like that happens and then we will see a ton of random characters out of no where like Shrek. Then everything smash is about, aka celebrating nintendo, will be lost. Putting in too many 3rd party characters or manga characters would force the game to have a new identity.
Omg, what's the link to that page? I forgot that some of the requests were published. Very interesting! Krystal always did have her fans in Japan and now they're asking for to be in Smash Bros Switch. This particular fan says that if she's on the roster, it's a guaranteed buy.

Mr. Brownstone said that she's also pretty popular in Germany, which was something I wasn't expecting at all. It's good to see fans across the globe coming together to share a common interest.
That's an awesome tweet! I love seeing things like this. It shows us that we are still around and on these platforms doing what needs to be done to keep the character alive and going, even though it has been so long for her character to make an appearance. That is honestly the hardest thing for us at the moment.
Hypothetical: Wolf and Krystal get into Smash Switch but one is DLC. Which one would it be?
If they do what they did again with half the DLC being returning vets again then I would bet on Krystal being the new addition first since his "clone-ish" move set had a negative reception when it came out, although I did like it. And that's if it is a choice between the two, I am sure that either addition being first or second would have relative backlash from the fans as well as some positive reception. Smash 4 had a problem with it's DLC all being either advertisements for future games or returning vets and bayonetta being the only "pick" that they pulled from the ballot. Cloud may have been one? But I am unsure about it, but I don't think that many people voted on the ballot for him because he just didn't seem like an option all that much, seems like it was mostly a play with square-enix to gain more favor with that company and Nintendo, was a play to just get more square games on Nintendo consoles, or at least that's what I think.
Krystal has a hard road ahead of her. With the Star Fox series on the verge of death and the last main game she appeared in was back in 2006, it is no easy task for her to make it as a playable fighter. I feel like Wolf has a better chance of returning.

With that being said I think she would be a cool inclusion. If they implement her staff and telepathic abilities correctly we could have a pretty unique Star Fox character in Smash 5. So although I think her chances are low, I am in support.
Indeed, pulling the elemental abilities from her staff from adventures would also be cool, or her weaponry from assault could also be done in a cool way, I lean more in the elemental spells camp though because every other SF character uses a blaster, maybe should could use her gatling gun? since you know, she is holding it in one of her official art renditions from Nintendo. lol

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
So NoA apparently tweeted about the 25th anniversary a couple of hours ago. Might be a good chance for #teamKrystal to strike again. Showing some love for Assault certainly wouldn't hurt either. jordansweeto jordansweeto Gagnetar Gagnetar what do you think?

Do people really want a Zero port on the Switch? That wouldn't help the series at all. We need another game that can actually be considered "new". No more remakes, retellings & reimaginings!

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
So NoA apparently tweeted about the 25th anniversary a couple of hours ago. Might be a good chance for #teamKrystal to strike again. Showing some love for Assault certainly wouldn't hurt either. jordansweeto jordansweeto Gagnetar Gagnetar what do you think?

Do people really want a Zero port on the Switch? That wouldn't help the series at all. We need another game that can actually be considered "new". No more remakes, retellings & reimaginings!
I agree, it's time to take the franchise in a new direction

GoldenFox51

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1521-3428-1344
Switch FC
SW-6642-6610-2718
25 years.
The series is as old as me! :laugh:

I seriously hope for a new game on the Switch soon. A new game (like a sequel) this time with Krystal brought back in!
No more damn remakes of the same story from 64. :mad:
(and no more hardware gimmicks :facepalm:)

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman

Wow I long gave up on them making a 25th anniversary post, Sorry about the late report, I've retweeted it on the Krystal support twitter, I'll make a tweet on the post aswell, I wish we had more followers but this opportunity is really rare.

EDIT: here's the tweet, see if you guys can hit it up with some of them there likes/retweets/comments https://twitter.com/VixenVotaries/status/978444674871562242

Last edited:

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
I've just tweeted Nintendo too!
Everyone make sure if you have a Twitter account to go tweet Nintendo of America as well as favorite/retweet other Krystal related tweets!

Good call Mr. Brownstone Mr. Brownstone

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Back in the SSB4 days and especially the Brawl days, Wolf and Krystal were highly competitive with fan demand from one another. At this point, though, their chances seem irrelevant to one another. Wolf is apparently only ever considered as something that can be easily thrown into the game reusing some Fox assets and/or as a veteran. I don't think there's much danger in actively rooting for both nowadays considering the circumstances Wolf has been under.

If Starfox ever does come back, there is a possibility of Krystal returning just because of how hated Zero was, which didn't have her. At this point even Adventures may have a larger fanbase than Zero, it's ridiculous.

In any case, I'd say the ballot is Krystal's primary hope, she's in a similar boat with K. Rool now (Their final appearances are pretty close to one another, 2006/2007). Her performance in that is what will determine her fate.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Back in the SSB4 days and especially the Brawl days, Wolf and Krystal were highly competitive with fan demand from one another. At this point, though, their chances seem irrelevant to one another. Wolf is apparently only ever considered as something that can be easily thrown into the game reusing some Fox assets and/or as a veteran. I don't think there's much danger in actively rooting for both nowadays considering the circumstances Wolf has been under.

If Starfox ever does come back, there is a possibility of Krystal returning just because of how hated Zero was, which didn't have her. At this point even Adventures may have a larger fanbase than Zero, it's ridiculous.

In any case, I'd say the ballot is Krystal's primary hope, she's in a similar boat with K. Rool now (Their final appearances are pretty close to one another, 2006/2007). Her performance in that is what will determine her fate.
I think she performed quite well in the Ballot, I mean she was a popular request in Europe and Japan, and somewhat popular in the US and Canada, so it's quite possible she will be playable this time

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I think she performed quite well in the Ballot, I mean she was a popular request in Europe and Japan, and somewhat popular in the US and Canada, so it's quite possible she will be playable this time
I haven't heard anything mention her canadian popularity, care to give some proof?

Anyhoo I thought it was a bit weird they didn't say explicitly it was the 25th anniversary of SF, just mentioned the origin date, If I recall correctly SF 64 got 20th anniversary directly mentioned. I wonder if that means anything, Likely just a different decision. Actually getting it though means they still consider it an important franchise, which for me just sounds like a hint towards a title announcement in the near future. Which could give Krystal the boost she needs for a second shot in the roster if she doesn't get in. It would sure be nice if we got someone to leak information on it existing or not, Though i'm guessing that's probably just not in the cards as it's probably held onto nicely.

Morbi

Scavenger

There is, however, one thing to consider. If Wolf were to return, he would be in the same vein as Mewtwo... Ish. It is actually completely unprecedented for a character to leave and return without DLC. The will likely happen with Ice Climbers to create the precedent, but again, you have to look at it more in Brawl terms where they would deliberately be adding two Star Fox characters right after the disaster that was Star Fox Zero. While it is definitely entirely possible. I believe Wolf's effort is subject to scrutiny as he was NOT included last time despite how easy it should have hypothetically been.

Why not Wolf over Lucina/Dark Pit/Dr. Mario, for instance? Or why not as an easy additional DLC character for even more profit? Something is suspicious about it and I believe perhaps Sakurai wanted to further differentiate Wolf from Fox/Falco and just did not have the time. Or he just dislikes Wolf. Who knows? There are plenty of explanations, but it is odd, nevertheless.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Actually getting it though means they still consider it an important franchise, which for me just sounds like a hint towards a title announcement in the near future.
Only 75 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes and 26 seconds until E3. :kirby:

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
Seems like the link I posted the other day actually expired. I didn't know this could happen to links providing mere search results. If you want to see those again (or maybe improve your german skills), you can go to the smashlabs frontpage and search for Krystal at the top right. You'll see the website now generates a link that differs from the one I posted earlier. I don't know why it does that. The results also seem to appear in a slightly different order now. The first one is still the same, but the Smash Switch character thread can now be found a little further down. You can't miss it, though. It's the only 2018 thread among the results, after all. There are at least 2 entries for this thread, however. The other one should be on page 2, I think.

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Yessir good call! I hit that up soon as I saw it that day! Made a tweet and upvoted all our stuff! ^^
25 years.
The series is as old as me! :laugh:

I seriously hope for a new game on the Switch soon. A new game (like a sequel) this time with Krystal brought back in!
No more damn remakes of the same story from 64. :mad:
(and no more hardware gimmicks :facepalm:)
yeah man... and what's really bothersome is all the people on twitter asking Nintendo to port Zero to the switch. I don't see how that would be profitable at all because all the people disappointed in zero after buying it and beating it in 1-2 hours will not pay 70$ for it again. Fortunately most of those requests had responses stating that it would do no good for the franchise as it would only show that we are perpetually stuck in Star Fox 64 with the franchise and it would only be looked at as yet ANOTHER remake of a remake, a remake(ception) if you will.

Yeah I did notice a lot more adventures and assault fans popping up after Zero crashed it's landing. I suppose we will find out soon if Krystal will make a comeback to the franchise, we do know that if platinum/Yusuke Hashimoto is making the next game, that Krystal will be in it. But we don't know who will have their hands on it next because Nintendo rotates Star Fox devs like a hot potato.
Why not Wolf over Lucina/Dark Pit/Dr. Mario, for instance? Or why not as an easy additional DLC character for even more profit? Something is suspicious about it and I believe perhaps Sakurai wanted to further differentiate Wolf from Fox/Falco and just did not have the time. Or he just dislikes Wolf. Who knows? There are plenty of explanations, but it is odd, nevertheless.
That is interesting, and I didn't even think about that. He definitely would have been an easy addition and he was a fan favorite to be removed at the launch of the game. Having him as DLC would certainly have gotten them a lot of profit. I suppose if we do expect to see Wolf again he would probably have a new move set, which I would welcome if it were unique and fun still. His move set before was still enjoyable... and its likely that no matter what way they decide to go with his character should he come back someone would complayin regardless of if he still had his old move set or not. It kinda makes me sad that all the Star Fox characters we have gotten so far have all had similar move sets and identical final smashes.
Only 75 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes and 26 seconds until E3. :kirby:
That number is under 100!!!! that's not bad at all *looks at clock* ughhh

And I did this for fun with a friend on VRchat I uploaded a new avatar and made physics for her. Found a pretty good setting where her ears move when I move her head around and I liked the result(still gotta fix her eyes though, its not bad but its still lol). Figured you guys might like to see it as well.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yessir good call! I hit that up soon as I saw it that day! Made a tweet and upvoted all our stuff! ^^

yeah man... and what's really bothersome is all the people on twitter asking Nintendo to port Zero to the switch. I don't see how that would be profitable at all because all the people disappointed in zero after buying it and beating it in 1-2 hours will not pay 70$ for it again. Fortunately most of those requests had responses stating that it would do no good for the franchise as it would only show that we are perpetually stuck in Star Fox 64 with the franchise and it would only be looked at as yet ANOTHER remake of a remake, a remake(ception) if you will.

Yeah I did notice a lot more adventures and assault fans popping up after Zero crashed it's landing. I suppose we will find out soon if Krystal will make a comeback to the franchise, we do know that if platinum/Yusuke Hashimoto is making the next game, that Krystal will be in it. But we don't know who will have their hands on it next because Nintendo rotates Star Fox devs like a hot potato.

That is interesting, and I didn't even think about that. He definitely would have been an easy addition and he was a fan favorite to be removed at the launch of the game. Having him as DLC would certainly have gotten them a lot of profit. I suppose if we do expect to see Wolf again he would probably have a new move set, which I would welcome if it were unique and fun still. His move set before was still enjoyable... and its likely that no matter what way they decide to go with his character should he come back someone would complayin regardless of if he still had his old move set or not. It kinda makes me sad that all the Star Fox characters we have gotten so far have all had similar move sets and identical final smashes.

That number is under 100!!!! that's not bad at all *looks at clock* ughhh

And I did this for fun with a friend on VRchat I uploaded a new avatar and made physics for her. Found a pretty good setting where her ears move when I move her head around and I liked the result(still gotta fix her eyes though, its not bad but its still lol). Figured you guys might like to see it as well.
To be fair, if they ported it over without requiring motion controls, I bet it would be much more successful or at least establish a cult following.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, if they ported it over without requiring motion controls, I bet it would be much more successful or at least establish a cult following.
You're probably right... but they would have to give the fans more than just that IMHO!

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I don't know if I ever showed my support for the blue fox, but here I am! Count with me!

I'll be honest, I don't know how likely her is, but I'm always in favor of more Rare characters in Smash!

and I'm also hopeful for the future of Star Fox with the big deal that was Star Fox 2 last year, and Nintendo doesn't seem to simply ignore everything that came after 64 just because their attempt with Zero on Wii U. They pretty much know Krystal and other elements have their fans.

I'm hoping for the best, regardless of the results in Smash ^-^

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if I ever showed my support for the blue fox, but here I am! Count with me!

I'll be honest, I don't know how likely her is, but I'm always in favor of more Rare characters in Smash!

and I'm also hopeful for the future of Star Fox with the big deal that was Star Fox 2 last year, and Nintendo doesn't seem to simply ignore everything that came after 64 just because their attempt with Zero on Wii U. They pretty much know Krystal and other elements have their fans.

I'm hoping for the best, regardless of the results in Smash ^-^
Happy to have you aboard man... I understand you on that sentiment... I miss Rare! They are a shell of what they used to be now, and it's sad to me. :(

Yeah hope is really all we have left as Star Fox fans who enjoy the entirety of its continuity, not just 64. I hope we get some Star Fox news that involves Krystal next time we hear something, because she has been MIA for 13 years. :(

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Happy to have you aboard man... I understand you on that sentiment... I miss Rare! They are a shell of what they used to be now, and it's sad to me. :(

Yeah hope is really all we have left as Star Fox fans who enjoy the entirety of its continuity, not just 64. I hope we get some Star Fox news that involves Krystal next time we hear something, because she has been MIA for 13 years. :(
I'd be happy with just a GC Virtual Console type of deal on Switch with both Assault and Adventures ^^'.. I still have my physical copies, but that would bring attention to Krystal again, at least .. if there's no new game in horizon.

I remember seeing a video from Nintendo of Europe, promoting Star Fox Zero, that actually showed every game released until then.. and with that, doesn't actually mean too much of Zero being a retelling of old events again. I keep seeing people calling Zero a reboot and everything beyond that is done forever.. but I don't know.. Sauria is even mentioned in the animated short for Zero 'v'.

I have confidence we'll see her again! ^^ .. as for Rare.. eh.. I think I'll also hold hope in what PlayTonic does in the future \=P

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I'd be happy with just a GC Virtual Console type of deal on Switch with both Assault and Adventures ^^'.. I still have my physical copies, but that would bring attention to Krystal again, at least .. if there's no new game in horizon.

I remember seeing a video from Nintendo of Europe, promoting Star Fox Zero, that actually showed every game released until then.. and with that, doesn't actually mean too much of Zero being a retelling of old events again. I keep seeing people calling Zero a reboot and everything beyond that is done forever.. but I don't know.. Sauria is even mentioned in the animated short for Zero 'v'.

I have confidence we'll see her again! ^^ .. as for Rare.. eh.. I think I'll also hold hope in what PlayTonic does in the future \=P
Oh yeah definitely! And we still havent heard anything on virtual console yet either... I have a feeling we will get something on it at E3. We can hope to get both adventures and assault on virtual console... that paired with a smash reveal for Krystal and Wolf and I would be so happy! ^^

Sauria certainly is mentioned in "The Battle Begins" short. Now the next question concerning that would be if they plan on continuing the story line again with better storytelling? who knows... could be interesting for the next Star Fox installment and hopefully they have something for us at E3 regarding that. Since we just had the anniversary for Star Fox a few days ago. Maybe they have something for us in store and we have reason to be excited/hopeful. I didn't expect to get an anniversary post, but we did. It was a pleasant surprise! ^^

Yeah I hope playtonic improves their game, because Yooka-Laylee isn't doing too hot right now... which is sad because I did plan to get the game initially. Apparently the game is infested with bugs and poor mechanics according to all the reviews on it... I might get it on steam when it goes on sale anyways because... Rare.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I didn't play Yooka-Laylee yet.. I planned to buy on Wii U but that was cancelled, and then the Switch version took forever and my money went somewhere else XD. .. I still want to play though! I know what to expect at least ~

I'm excited for the E3! we already know a lot of announced things, but the potential for new games being announced there is bigger than ever! Is a very circumstancial case for Nintendo, especially after the Wii U days XP.. if at least we get Virtual Console, I'll be happy! But a new game featuring Krystal would be more than marvelous =)

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I didn't play Yooka-Laylee yet.. I planned to buy on Wii U but that was cancelled, and then the Switch version took forever and my money went somewhere else XD. .. I still want to play though! I know what to expect at least ~

I'm excited for the E3! we already know a lot of announced things, but the potential for new games being announced there is bigger than ever! Is a very circumstancial case for Nintendo, especially after the Wii U days XP.. if at least we get Virtual Console, I'll be happy! But a new game featuring Krystal would be more than marvelous =)
Yeah I will probably get it anyways at some point just to have it, sounds like you want to get it anyways too at some point too ^^. I still have a huge attachment to rareware and want to see them succeed somewhere. I loved playing all of their games when I was little... like Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Golden Eye. Perfect Dark and of course Star Fox Adventures to name a few... those games were glorious and the multiplayer(in the ones with multiplayer) was a blast all the time with friends.

Yeah This E3 will be one to remember. We have Smash Switch for sure. Metroid Prime 4 first time sighting of gameplay possibly(last time was just a splash of the title screen). I think we will see the virtual console as well hopefully with gamecube support and the proper accompanying games! With Nintendo's primary focus being on the Switch this year I hope to see some more First Party titles like Star Fox/F-Zero... just those two seeing more attention would have fans ecstatic right now because both fan-bases are at an all time low right now. And yeah we definitely need to see Krystal again! ^^

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Krystal has a lot going against her- that is all plainly obvious- but she also has several advantages that could factor in.

• Krystal wasn't an assist trophy: Ballot was made with Smash 4 in the public mind and I don't doubt Ridley lost a few votes as he was a stage element.
  • Krystal's a new character entirely. Smash 4 showed people would pay for missing veterans so I don't think Wolf returning would be a concern
  • Even if Wolf returns, that never stopped anyone else: Dr. Mario returning never stopped Rosalina & Bow Jr and the less said about Roy the better.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I remember you. Welcome back!

I'll be honest, I don't know how likely her is
We're in the same boat. Few of us know what's going to be in this thing, but history has shown that if an ordinary gamer has info, it doesn't stay secret for very long. This speculation period could all be over as soon as July, since certain people can't seem to contain their excitement, and there's that urge to capitalize on knowledge you've acquired in exchange for fame and recognition. Someone outside that development team knows who's in the roster and that someone is gonna cash in their chips sooner or later. I feel it's inevitable. It has happened every time since Brawl.

but I'm always in favor of more Rare characters in Smash!
Hear, hear. Krystal was Rare's parting gift and I'm honored to carry on the tradition through my support for a protagonist they made during their tenure with Nintendo. When the company got bought out by Microsoft, I wrote them a letter of thanks for enduring extremely rough circumstances in creating Adventures and for giving us Krystal. I said I'd always be there to support her in their absence. To speak up for her when they can't and to play the games she's in that they're not around to develop anymore. Rare is a company who is near and dear to me. Naturally, I was sad to see many of the characters we loved, like Joanna and Banjo, whisked away by Microsoft, never to see a meaningful appearance on a Nintendo platform again. Thankfully, Krystal is still with us. She's one of the last remnants of a bygone era and I would be remiss not to hang on to this one. I wish all the supporters who are standing firm behind a Rare character the best. As far as I'm concerned, there's not enough of them in Smash Bros.

Krystal has a lot going against her- that is all plainly obvious- but she also has several advantages that could factor in.

• Krystal wasn't an assist trophy: Ballot was made with Smash 4 in the public mind and I don't doubt Ridley lost a few votes as he was a stage element.
  • Krystal's a new character entirely. Smash 4 showed people would pay for missing veterans so I don't think Wolf returning would be a concern
  • Even if Wolf returns, that never stopped anyone else: Dr. Mario returning never stopped Rosalina & Bow Jr and the less said about Roy the better.
I'm not going to deny that Krystal has more than a few issues going into Switch, and I said last time that if she wasn't in the next Star Fox, it was going to be an obstacle to justify her inclusion. Unless you were pulling for Young Krystal, Zero wasn't a game any of us were expecting her to be in. So, in order for her to make the base roster, the ballot has to hold more sway than we first realized. DLC is a possibility, but that lunch line is crowded with potential "hype" picks from the third party candidate pool. Think of how many were dedicated to third parties last time. 7 characters overall, 4 newcomers, 3 veterans. Of the 4 newcomers, 3 were third party. One of those third parties was a ballot pick. The lone first party? Board of directors pick.

This is a concern, because although Krystal retained her popularity, the ballot is the main thing she has going for her. We know all about the potential and how different she would be, but how much does that matter from a business perspective? Does Sakurai even like Star Fox to the extent that he'd load up and bring back Wolf with Krystal? The other issue is that Krystal wouldn't function too well as a WTF pick. If they added her, there would be surprise, but there wouldn't be shock. We're talking about a character who, before Star Fox 2, had a 50% participation rate in mainline games and was smack dab in the middle of every story of every one she was in. A character who was PLAYABLE IN ALL 3 APPEARANCES and who holds the public perception as the most likely newcomer after Wolf. They'd get it. I still think she needs another appearance to lock it up, however, we don't know how much the ballot matters. It's possible she could slide in on the strength of her support, but this scenario is certainly a Christmas miracle and will require quite a bit of audacity on Sakurai's part... Which he has, but for another franchise.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I remember you. Welcome back!

We're in the same boat. Few of us know what's going to be in this thing, but history has shown that if an ordinary gamer has info, it doesn't stay secret for very long. This speculation period could all be over as soon as July, since certain people can't seem to contain their excitement, and there's that urge to capitalize on knowledge you've acquired in exchange for fame and recognition. Someone outside that development team knows who's in the roster and that someone is gonna cash in their chips sooner or later. I feel it's inevitable. It has happened every time since Brawl.

Hear, hear. Krystal was Rare's parting gift and I'm honored to carry on the tradition through my support for a protagonist they made during their tenure with Nintendo. When the company got bought out by Microsoft, I wrote them a letter of thanks for enduring extremely rough circumstances in creating Adventures and for giving us Krystal. I said I'd always be there to support her in their absence. To speak up for her when they can't and to play the games she's in that they're not around to develop anymore. Rare is a company who is near and dear to me. Naturally, I was sad to see many of the characters we loved, like Joanna and Banjo, whisked away by Microsoft, never to see a meaningful appearance on a Nintendo platform again. Thankfully, Krystal is still with us. She's one of the last remnants of a bygone era and I would be remiss not to hang on to this one. I wish all the supporters who are standing firm behind a Rare character the best. As far as I'm concerned, there's not enough of them in Smash Bros.

I'm not going to deny that Krystal has more than a few issues going into Switch, and I said last time that if she wasn't in the next Star Fox, it was going to be an obstacle to justify her inclusion. Unless you were pulling for Young Krystal, Zero wasn't a game any of us were expecting her to be in. So, in order for her to make the base roster, the ballot has to hold more sway than we first realized. DLC is a possibility, but that lunch line is crowded with potential "hype" picks from the third party candidate pool. Think of how many were dedicated to third parties last time. 7 characters overall, 4 newcomers, 3 veterans. Of the 4 newcomers, 3 were third party. One of those third parties was a ballot pick. The lone first party? Board of directors pick.

This is a concern, because although Krystal retained her popularity, the ballot is the main thing she has going for her. We know all about the potential and how different she would be, but how much does that matter from a business perspective? Does Sakurai even like Star Fox to the extent that he'd load up and bring back Wolf with Krystal? The other issue is that Krystal wouldn't function too well as a WTF pick. If they added her, there would be surprise, but there wouldn't be shock. We're talking about a character who, before Star Fox 2, had a 50% participation rate in mainline games and was smack dab in the middle of every story of every one she was in. A character who was PLAYABLE IN ALL 3 APPEARANCES and who holds the public perception as the most likely newcomer after Wolf. They'd get it. I still think she needs another appearance to lock it up, however, we don't know how much the ballot matters. It's possible she could slide in on the strength of her support, but this scenario is certainly a Christmas miracle and will require quite a bit of audacity on Sakurai's part... Which he has, but for another franchise.
Considering KI: Uprising was supposed to be a Star Fox game before it got changed to what we know today, I would say Sakurai has a fondness for the franchise

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure most people are aware of this by now by Bill Trinen apparently said "...that this is the first of “many” E3 announcements regarding Nintendo’s programming, and we should hear more in the next month or so" https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/22/1...-2-world-championship-e3-2018-nintendo-switch according to to the article date it says Mar 22nd, but it's weird that it's making the rounds on today of all things. Anyhoo that would mean THIS month, though I'm curious what "programming" even means in this context, I know programs can mean entertainment media like shows, Does this mean more announcements about the tournament? does it mean character reveals? Guess we'll find out, doubt it'd be Krystal, but it's not like the trailer would be their biggest gun already... probably. Eitherway we should have some cool announcements.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm sure most people are aware of this by now by Bill Trinen apparently said "...that this is the first of “many” E3 announcements regarding Nintendo’s programming, and we should hear more in the next month or so" https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/22/1...-2-world-championship-e3-2018-nintendo-switch according to to the article date it says Mar 22nd, but it's weird that it's making the rounds on today of all things. Anyhoo that would mean THIS month, though I'm curious what "programming" even means in this context, I know programs can mean entertainment media like shows, Does this mean more announcements about the tournament? does it mean character reveals? Guess we'll find out, doubt it'd be Krystal, but it's not like the trailer would be their biggest gun already... probably. Eitherway we should have some cool announcements.
Sounds like Nintendo is stoking the fires of the Hype train. No surprise since they've got something to show.

For the record tho, what are Sony and Microsoft doing? Are they revealing new 4K consoles or did they do that already? I can't remember for the life of me.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Sounds like Nintendo is stoking the fires of the Hype train. No surprise since they've got something to show.

For the record tho, what are Sony and Microsoft doing? Are they revealing new 4K consoles or did they do that already? I can't remember for the life of me.
Well, there are the Last of Us Part II, Ghosts of Tsushima, Days Gone, Spider-Man, and Death Stranding for Sony. Microsoft is probably gonna b3 Halo, Halo, Halo, Halo, Gears of War, Halo, Halo, Forza

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, there are the Last of Us Part II, Ghosts of Tsushima, Days Gone, Spider-Man, and Death Stranding for Sony. Microsoft is probably gonna b3 Halo, Halo, Halo, Halo, Gears of War, Halo, Halo, Forza
You forgot TV and Sports.

mortal1385

Smash Rookie
Hey everybody, I'm relatively new to Smashboards but I support Krystal's potential inclusion in Smash 5.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I'm New here but I wanted to say I support Krystal for Smash!
Glad to see we're still getting Krystal supporters, and welcome to smashboards!

Hey everybody, I'm relatively new to Smashboards but I support Krystal's potential inclusion in Smash 5.
Oh hey falco lol, It says you joined in 2015 but welcome regardless.

that article earlier mentioned something about wanted to appeal to the wide variety of fans that smash has gathered, though that was in regards to the tournament, I'm guessing the idea of trying to bridge casual and competitive fans is the idea here. Well I don't see why that ideology can't come to character choices, which may perhaps hint towards the notion of mixed fan character picks (Ridley, Rool, Krystal, etc) with more casual pick methods they've used in the past. But we'll hear more news in April, I don't know if it'll show game footage or reveals or what but It ought to be a good start. They started with the axiom pick, the character everyone thought we would get in the Inklings, most of the lists around the net are identical, barring extraneous picks, I just have a suspicion that we may actually get characters people actually want, We may end up in the dust again... but somehow, I doubt it.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice

Yes it does. I hope we get something from them soon! Which from the sound of it could be anywhere between a week-3 weeks from now. My birthday is coming up soon and Krystal in Smash would be an incredible announcement to have in the general vicinity of it! But we all know the chances of that! :p

The problem with Sony/Microsoft is they have an inherent lack of IP to use and people are starting to notice, and with all their focus on 4k at such an early point in time there's a significant drop in the amount of games that they put out for these consoles. I have friends who have both xbox one and PS4 and they all tell me there aren't many games for them. Nintendo has the opposite problem atm where they have so many IP's that older franchises like Star Fox/F-Zero seem to be neglected(star fox zero after a 12 year new game gap and it arguably still hasn't gotten a new game since zero was a re-imagining of 64) or forgotten(F-Zero, 20 years since last game).
Oh hey falco lol, It says you joined in 2015 but welcome regardless.

that article earlier mentioned something about wanted to appeal to the wide variety of fans that smash has gathered, though that was in regards to the tournament, I'm guessing the idea of trying to bridge casual and competitive fans is the idea here. Well I don't see why that ideology can't come to character choices, which may perhaps hint towards the notion of mixed fan character picks (Ridley, Rool, Krystal, etc) with more casual pick methods they've used in the past. But we'll hear more news in April, I don't know if it'll show game footage or reveals or what but It ought to be a good start. They started with the axiom pick, the character everyone thought we would get in the Inklings, most of the lists around the net are identical, barring extraneous picks, I just have a suspicion that we may actually get characters people actually want, We may end up in the dust again... but somehow, I doubt it.
Lol I had to think about that Falco comment for a second there.

And even if they do put in all these fan favorites, there will always be more newcomer speculation, because people will nearly always have more than one "favorite" pick that they want to see in Smash. So they really have no reason to not be putting in as many fan favorites this time around as they can muster. It definitely would make for a crazy smash this time around catering to that many fans, and it certainly would cover that "wide" appeal. I suppose a Krystal reveal could happen this month because it wouldn't be a shock pick like K rool or Ridley and they would clearly be saving picks like that for E3 if they really are going to pick them. Regardless my fingers are crossed as usual for this month! ^^

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Top Bottom