• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Where'd you hear those rumors?

One thing about Krystal in Smash though, we've had a lot of movet ideas but no solid play-style ideas. In my head Krystal's a mid-range character who lacks some power but makes up for it in being able to poke out people from a distance.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/switch-rumor-archive-read-posting-rules-in-op.16589/ there's a solid set of rumors here that have been setup, the two I've mentioned are the relevant ones.

Also as far as playstyles she'll be a lightweight combo oriented fighter, but with somewhat slower, longer distance attacks, she'll have great zoning ability and will have considerable technical play, kind of like a fighter who has no real deadzone of operation which should make her reliable pick for match-ups, she'll suffer in weight and will as you said not have a large power base. I'd say something inbetween robin and lucina with longer reach

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Reads list

Port of NSMBU? Who asked for that? Or is the 2D Mario game well so dry they have to repackage the already used water? (Hope they've got good filtration)

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
I always kind of imagined Krystal would end up being or should be a sort of a nimble character, fast and with a good amount ranged attacks.

Also has anyone noticed the amount of Wii U to Switch ports coming, In addition to Mario kart 8 there is also Hyrule warriors coming, DKC, Pokken tournament, Bayonnetta 2.

Notice how most games ported are getting new content or new features they arent just re-releasing them, If say, Sm4sh gets a port Im almost sure that one will get a 'Definitive edition' meaning all the DLC included plus maybe more characters.... probably from the ballot. or maybe not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the hope for most of the community is that Smash 4 WiiU is ported with stuff from the 3DS version, all the DLC and maybe one or two characters.

Realistically speaking, it'd be Inkling with Wolf and/or Ice Climbers.

Hubba_Wubba

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingNightmare26
3DS FC
5430-0613-8772
After all these years, and Toon Link still doesn't have a costume for his pajamas in WW.

C'mon Nintendo, add this for smash 5

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
After all these years, and Toon Link still doesn't have a costume for his pajamas in WW.

C'mon Nintendo, add this for smash 5
Are you sure you're in the right thread?

Also, welcome.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
OOF!
sorry, still learning things :3
No problem, we were all beginners at some point.

New Topic: I know Star Fox Zero can't be straight ported to Switch but I wonder if they could make a Star Fox Zero sequel (Star Fox 1?) with the same assets.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I think the hope for most of the community is that Smash 4 WiiU is ported with stuff from the 3DS version, all the DLC and maybe one or two characters.

Realistically speaking, it'd be Inkling with Wolf and/or Ice Climbers.
I don't understand why people are hoping for so little. Smash 3DS/Wii U, which are officially "Smash 4" and "Smash 5", though they're basically treated in a similar fashion to a pair of versions of a Pokemon game, are the biggest-selling entry in the Smash series to date (mostly thanks to Smash 3DS). Why would they repeat what's already the biggest-selling installment? It's not like they did that when Brawl was the biggest-selling release.

Let's not forget that the sources who are claiming that Smash Switch is going to be some sort of no-frills port are also the ones who brought us such gems as the following;

• Ballot-winner Shovel Knight
  • Multiple Ballot runner-ups also being released with Shovel Knight
  • Splatoon The Enhanced Port Definitely Not A Sequel for Switch launch
  • Second Switch SKU with more on-board storage, with the above as a pack-in game
  • Switch only available in grey at launch, and white later
  • Zelda delayed, 3D Mario is the big Switch launch-day game
  • Switch's first year to be "port-heavy"
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has new cups
  • GameCube Virtual Console releases (Super Smash Bros. Melee, Luigi's Mansion, and Super Mario Sunshine) at Switch launch

There are probably others that I'm forgetting. :p

Re-using Smash 3DS/Wii U's engine I can understand, and it's something that I fully expect - it was clearly built for scalability, and the Switch needs to do that on one machine, instead of across two. However, that's completely different to what people are talking about or claiming.

It's worth pointing out that the job-listing for "Smash 6" went live in April of 2014. According to that listing, at that time they already had 120 people working on the game, and wanted to hire 80 more for posts such as characters, animation, stages, menus, mini-games, and numerous others. April of 2014 is important here - that's when Super Mario Odyssey's development commenced, it appears to be around when Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is claimed to have begun development, and it was a year earlier than work began on Splatoon 2, which was built from the ground up.

We've recently seen stories such as this one, where a small team from a little-known development-studio ported their game across to the Switch in just four months. It is not plausible for it to take a 200-strong first-party team four years to do the same thing.

"To introduce our new paid online service, here's a port of a game that's almost half-a-decade old, which can already be played online free-of-charge on our two previous consoles." doesn't sound convincing to me.

Neither does the notion of Nintendo, who has clearly stated that the Switch's second year is crucial to its long-term success, effectively saying "We meticulously planned out the Switch's first year, but now we're just going to wing it. HAHA - we have your money now! Have nothing but old games for year two!".

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I don't understand why people are hoping for so little. Smash 3DS/Wii U, which are officially "Smash 4" and "Smash 5", though they're basically treated in a similar fashion to a pair of versions of a Pokemon game, are the biggest-selling entry in the Smash series to date (mostly thanks to Smash 3DS). Why would they repeat what's already the biggest-selling installment? It's not like they did that when Brawl was the biggest-selling release.

Let's not forget that the sources who are claiming that Smash Switch is going to be some sort of no-frills port are also the ones who brought us such gems as the following;

• Second Switch SKU with more on-board storage, with the above as a pack-in game
  • GameCube Virtual Console releases (Super Smash Bros. Melee, Luigi's Mansion, and Super Mario Sunshine) at Switch launch

Re-using Smash 3DS/Wii U's engine I can understand, and it's something that I fully expect - it was clearly built for scalability, and the Switch needs to do that on one machine, instead of across two. However, that's completely different to what people are talking about or claiming.

It's worth pointing out that the job-listing for "Smash 6" went live in April of 2014. According to that listing, at that time they already had 120 people working on the game, and wanted to hire 80 more for posts such as characters, animation, stages, menus, mini-games, and numerous others. April of 2014 is important here - that's when Super Mario Odyssey's development commenced, it appears to be around when Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is claimed to have begun development, and it was a year earlier than work began on Splatoon 2, which was built from the ground up.

We've recently seen stories such as this one, where a small team from a little-known development-studio ported their game across to the Switch in just four months. It is not plausible for it to take a 200-strong first-party team four years to do the same thing.

"To introduce our new paid online service, here's a port of a game that's almost half-a-decade old, which can already be played online free-of-charge on our two previous consoles." doesn't sound convincing to me.

Neither does the notion of Nintendo, who has clearly stated that the Switch's second year is crucial to its long-term success, effectively saying "We meticulously planned out the Switch's first year, but now we're just going to wing it. HAHA - we have your money now! Have nothing but old games for year two!".
I love how it's all compiled so nicely like this with links and timelines. I'm still a little pessimistic about Smash Switch but I expect a little more than Inklings and Ice Climbers tacked onto Smash Wii U Deluxe. Assuming development panned out nicely, I think we're all in for a very big treat with Smash Switch. To be honest, if April 2014 was when Smash Switch began development, that would have been enough time to built a new game from scratch. The big kicker is that they really don't have to do that because Smash 3DS/Wii U use a forward-thinking scaling engine.

If we were going to get something as meager as Smash Wii U with some 3DS stages and Ice Climbers/Inklings, we would have gotten that already, methinks.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If we were going to get something as meager as Smash Wii U with some 3DS stages and Ice Climbers/Inklings, we would have gotten that already, methinks.
Precisely my thinking!

And that reminds me, that was one of the other claims that goes with the others in the bullet-pointed list in my previous post - it was claimed that we would see a no-frills port of Smash Wii U within the Switch's launch-window (i.e., the first six months of the system's life). But, like the rest, it never happened.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My thought process is hoping for enhanced port, that way I can be pleasantly surprised if/when it's more than that. It's a situation where I can either be happy to be wrong or right.

If we can fully trust that 2014 posting though, that makes a dev cycle of 4 years. I think I can do some maths on this, just need some more info.

Checks

Smash Ballot closed October 15
Bayonetta reveal trailer (models, moveset, stage and music basically done) December 15th
Bayonetta released (play testes, bugs fixed, "balancing") February 3rd
Patch 1.1.5 (actually balanced) March 15th

Granted I'm certain work on the ballot winner started a bit before the ballot closed but that's two (don't forget Corrin) new characters in 5 months and all this with a smaller post-release team.

Let's say all the 3rd parties from last tiem double dip (tripple for Sonic) and that 2 years are done on engine and balance changes. That makes at least 8 new characters from my math.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman

If I had to guess most people are just pessimistic, do people have any idea the lashback from having a smash bros port with no new characters? the internet would be ablaze against nintendo. The online service explicitly lists multiplayer games, there isn't anything (except for like mario kart which is already out) which could carry that better than Smash, Emily's addition to the rumor says it's going to have a lot of content, also shovel knight being a ballot winner I just have to interrupt is an innane proposition for a pretty niche flavor of the month indie character. However they do it, be it an upgrade to smash 6 like brawl to 4-5 or a straight port, it's going to have a wealth of characters, I'd say atleast 6, but something akin to a new title, around 10-15 is possible with that long since I'd theorize character choices were complete in 2015, around the ballot ends time, which might I add was quite high in Krystal support for both america and japan, and in germany aswell from what I hear. Don't count her out until the games DLC cycle comes to an end, I doubt that all the characters are trending adverts in this one like before, and I'm still of the mind the ballot was never really intended to have a big influence on Smash 4-5 DLC, and was more geared for the switch rendition.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If I had to guess most people are just pessimistic, do people have any idea the lashback from having a smash bros port with no new characters? the internet would be ablaze against nintendo.
Exactly.

And, I think you're right - a lot of pessimism seemed to take hold after people found the end of the ballot period to be disappointing.

The online service explicitly lists multiplayer games, there isn't anything (except for like mario kart which is already out) which could carry that better than Smash,
And there's another issue, too: The existing Switch titles with online multi-player have all been playable online free-of-charge since the Switch launched, and will be until the paid Nintendo Switch Online service goes live in September.

Even those who are on-board with the service already won't be enthused by simply having to start paying when the time comes, and the existing library's online services going paid without anything else on offer as an incentive won't convert those who aren't on-board.

There needs to be a flagship game to launch the service with. Something like Animal Crossing (which I'm sure we'll see fairly soon) is too relaxed for this, and online-play isn't its focus. And something new that comes out of left-field won't have an in-built audience. Smash, meanwhile, is a major notable omission from the Switch's multi-player library to date, and it's traditional and content-heavy enough to be the ideal title to launch alongside the new online service.

As you say, there's nothing that can do this better! :grin:

Emily's addition to the rumor says it's going to have a lot of content,
The thing is, Emily Rogers was one of the sources of most of the rumours that I listed, above. Saying that a Smash game will have a lot of content is a safe-bet in the same vein as "They're going to make another Mario game!", in my books. :laugh:

More seriously, rumourmongers saying vague, highly-likely things like that also covers for them getting other claims wrong, so that it ultimately looks like they were still right anyway, even though they weren't. It's always a red-flag, for me.

also shovel knight being a ballot winner I just have to interrupt is an innane proposition for a pretty niche flavor of the month indie character.
As I'm sure you remember, though, it was astoundingly widely-believed at the time, and was propagated by a number of sources, in spite of its obviously dubious nature. :laugh:

and I'm still of the mind the ballot was never really intended to have a big influence on Smash 4-5 DLC, and was more geared for the switch rendition.
We're on exactly the same page, here. Every game since Melee has had a poll before it, and Smash 3DS/Wii U did not - I've been almost certain for a long time that the ballot was, in fact, for the next game, with only a little bit of mind paid to Smash 3DS/Wii U.

That, coupled with the amount of time that the "Smash 6" job-listing suggests that the game has been in development for, and the fact that we now have confirmation that the Nintendo Switch Online service will launch in September, makes me think that we could be in for some interesting times relatively soon. :grin:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder though, will an international poll isntead of a Japanese one change what characters came higher in the poll? Krystal and King K. Rool (amd DK characters ingeneral) for example are ones that seem to have a bigger fanbase here in the west.

Maybe there's a smorgasbord of characters that flew under the radar due to Japanese focus.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Exactly.

And, I think you're right - a lot of pessimism seemed to take hold after people found the end of the ballot period to be disappointing.

And there's another issue, too: The existing Switch titles with online multi-player have all been playable online free-of-charge since the Switch launched, and will be until the paid Nintendo Switch Online service goes live in September.

Even those who are on-board with the service already won't be enthused by simply having to start paying when the time comes, and the existing library's online services going paid without anything else on offer as an incentive won't convert those who aren't on-board.

There needs to be a flagship game to launch the service with. Something like Animal Crossing (which I'm sure we'll see fairly soon) is too relaxed for this, and online-play isn't its focus. And something new that comes out of left-field won't have an in-built audience. Smash, meanwhile, is a major notable omission from the Switch's multi-player library to date, and it's traditional and content-heavy enough to be the ideal title to launch alongside the new online service.

As you say, there's nothing that can do this better! :grin:

The thing is, Emily Rogers was one of the sources of most of the rumours that I listed, above. Saying that a Smash game will have a lot of content is a safe-bet in the same vein as "They're going to make another Mario game!", in my books. :laugh:

More seriously, rumourmongers saying vague, highly-likely things like that also covers for them getting other claims wrong, so that it ultimately looks like they were still right anyway, even though they weren't. It's always a red-flag, for me.

As I'm sure you remember, though, it was astoundingly widely-believed at the time, and was propagated by a number of sources, in spite of its obviously dubious nature. :laugh:

We're on exactly the same page, here. Every game since Melee has had a poll before it, and Smash 3DS/Wii U did not - I've been almost certain for a long time that the ballot was, in fact, for the next game, with only a little bit of mind paid to Smash 3DS/Wii U.

That, coupled with the amount of time that the "Smash 6" job-listing suggests that the game has been in development for, and the fact that we now have confirmation that the Nintendo Switch Online service will launch in September, makes me think that we could be in for some interesting times relatively soon. :grin:
Yea it's true you can't just accept rumors that fall into your lap, especially if it's what you want, I'm just one of those optimistic people always looking for good news.
Speaking of characters like that, as this goes on I start to question the additions of the axioms, like Inkling and Spring Man, If development was really that long ago they might be prime DLC targets but I feel like this one may take more into consideration of long-standing fan favorites, Inklings have still a good chance but I digress I'm quite interested in nintendo's next full direct for the potential therein for stuff I might actually be interested in, I still put Krystal's chances at about 20-30%, especially as a tagalong with Wolf, though that is a pretty artificial number merely to convey personal feeling.

I wonder though, will an international poll isntead of a Japanese one change what characters came higher in the poll? Krystal and King K. Rool (amd DK characters ingeneral) for example are ones that seem to have a bigger fanbase here in the west.

Maybe there's a smorgasbord of characters that flew under the radar due to Japanese focus.
honestly I think they balance the focus pretty well between america and japan, the only exception (which has become a big one) that I can think of is fire emblem which he wanted to give to the west. Some people were upset at the decrease of SF characters in Smash 4-5, so maybe that can help us out.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

I wonder about this, too. It's another thing that makes me think that Smash Switch will prove to be interesting, especially since, with the ballot, they officially sought out international input for the first time.

Speaking of characters like that, as this goes on I start to question the additions of the axioms, like Inkling and Spring Man, If development was really that long ago they might be prime DLC targets
As far as "modern-day" inclusions, I suspect that what we might be looking at here will be consideration for what was being developed alongside the game - if they were to include a character from ARMS, for example, they would've been co-ordinating about it as both games were worked on.

Smash is usually like a time-capsule relating to the system that it's on at the time of its release. I think that it's a fair bet that Smash Switch and its roster would represent what the Switch is all about.

but I feel like this one may take more into consideration of long-standing fan favorites
With any luck! They've got good reasons to, after all, as they're wanting to build a big audience on the Switch, and there's also the nostalgia of customers returning to Nintendo's consoles after an absence for them to consider, too.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I wonder about this, too. It's another thing that makes me think that Smash Switch will prove to be interesting, especially since, with the ballot, they officially sought out international input for the first time.

As far as "modern-day" inclusions, I suspect that what we might be looking at here will be consideration for what was being developed alongside the game - if they were to include a character from ARMS, for example, they would've been co-ordinating about it as both games were worked on.

Smash is usually like a time-capsule relating to the system that it's on at the time of its release. I think that it's a fair bet that Smash Switch and its roster would represent what the Switch is all about.

With any luck! They've got good reasons to, after all, as they're wanting to build a big audience on the Switch, and there's also the nostalgia of customers returning to Nintendo's consoles after an absence for them to consider, too.
Going back to that reggie statement about trying to get a title for each of their legacy IP if it is about "what the switch is all about" we could see spread out representation of characters as it seems to be an all-inclusive console, hopefully our efforts to get krystal noticed haven't gone under the radar, sweeto's twitter post that got answered by the Zero co-director amongst them helps show her popularity. Now we just wait and see if it bears fruit, Krystal's been popular here for sometime aswell, if they have any idea that this place exists lol amongst her advantages.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Since everyone seems to be talking about the new paid online service launching in September I think I found something that you guys would like to read. Apparently the paid online service will be "worth the wait" according to Nintendo.

I totally agree here, a port can happen, but I don't think it's going to be what they have planned for the paid online service.

If I had to guess most people are just pessimistic, do people have any idea

the lashback from having a smash bros port with no new characters? the internet would be ablaze against nintendo.
The lash-back would be biblical, akin to the plagues of Egypt lol. I remember when they had a PR guy at E3 last year tell the Smash fans to chill out and that they would have their turn.
Going back to that reggie statement about trying to get a title for each of their legacy IP if it is about "what the switch is all about" we could see spread out representation of characters as it seems to be an all-inclusive console, hopefully our efforts to get krystal noticed haven't gone under the radar, sweeto's twitter post that got answered by the Zero co-director amongst them helps show her popularity. Now we just wait and see if it bears fruit, Krystal's been popular here for sometime aswell, if they have any idea that this place exists lol amongst her advantages.
I hope you're right! *crosses fingers*

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I remember when Smash 4 was in hype phase, most people figured that we'd be lucky to get 10 new characters. We ended up with a whopping 21 with all Miis and DLCs but I feel that may be what we're getting this time, esp if no SB4 characters are dropped.

Even so, that gives more than enough slots for

1. Wolf and Ice Climbers to return
  2. Splatoon and ARMS to get a character
  3. 3rd parties
  4. The top choices on the Smash Ballot
And it's not like series haven't had multiple characters added at once before (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem in melee; Kirby and Pokemon (again) in Brawl, and Mario, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem in 4)

I'd say Krystal's chances are looking good. Not a lock but good.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I remember when Smash 4 was in hype phase, most people figured that we'd be lucky to get 10 new characters. We ended up with a whopping 21 with all Miis and DLCs but I feel that may be what we're getting this time, esp if no SB4 characters are dropped.

Even so, that gives more than enough slots for

1. Wolf and Ice Climbers to return
  2. Splatoon and ARMS to get a character
  3. 3rd parties
  4. The top choices on the Smash Ballot
And it's not like series haven't had multiple characters added at once before (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem in melee; Kirby and Pokemon (again) in Brawl, and Mario, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem in 4)

I'd say Krystal's chances are looking good. Not a lock but good.
Correct! we had 13 characters and 8 dlc, so I agree completely... not 100% but pretty solid chances I would say. I still don't understand why Wolf was even removed... he had a huge fanbase and they crushed all of them with his removal. That hurt me too! :/

Yeah I think her chances are pretty solid. Either way I don't know if we can expect 21 more characters again, but with a big studio like bamco behind it again we just might get it again. Here's to hoping! ^^

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Well guys, it's the best timeline, Sellars rumor turned out to be true and we got a smash announcement this direct.
The most popular fan speculated axiom, Inklings appear to be fighters, aswell as BotW link, most likely a reskin of link, either way it's clear they are aware of fan requests for smash, So now is the opportune time to reintroduce character support, just because we don't have a recent SF game with her doesn't mean she's hopeless! the series merely needs to be current, So if you're interested in the fair vixen, start talking once again, talk to NoA's twitter, talk on reddit, talk here, characters mentioned that aren't in the game can still make a DLC cycle, we may not need to keep support up, but we can't know until the game comes out.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well the long forgotten Gooey and Warioware got remembered so odds that Krystal may be remembered just raised a little bit

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Well the long forgotten Gooey and Warioware got remembered so odds that Krystal may be remembered just raised a little bit
This roster ought to be interesting, I wish we could see more of those silouettes, I shouldn't be concerned, yet I'm still looking around to make sure the man, Ike is there, most popular FE character is still there def. But yea if they intend to emphasize the nostalgia pandering that could be a viable angle for her return, among the obvious kit potential.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Well guys, it's the best timeline, Sellars rumor turned out to be true and we got a smash announcement this direct.
The most popular fan speculated axiom, Inklings appear to be fighters, aswell as BotW link, most likely a reskin of link, either way it's clear they are aware of fan requests for smash, So now is the opportune time to reintroduce character support, just because we don't have a recent SF game with her doesn't mean she's hopeless! the series merely needs to be current, So if you're interested in the fair vixen, start talking once again, talk to NoA's twitter, talk on reddit, talk here, characters mentioned that aren't in the game can still make a DLC cycle, we may not need to keep support up, but we can't know until the game comes out.
AHHHH Smash reveal hype! This coming E3 will definitely turn heads Nintendo's way again this year, smash fans last year were very vocal. I wonder what fans will be more vocal this time around since Smash is already revealed :p. Inklings and BoTW link were expected, I wonder if he's going to be a new character or a reskin/re-work of link. Hard to tell just seeing the BoTW skin. I think that her getting introduced in smash could only help the Star Fox franchise since she hasn't seen a game in 13 years now. It would definitely introduce more people to her character and maybe it could lead into a new Star Fox game. Here's to hoping!!!!
Oh yeah I only know about Gooey because of a fan game called Smash Brothers Crusade. Either way! I guess we will see if she is remembered at E3 a few months from now or maybe a smaller direct in between now and then, but i'm leaning towards anything else smash related being at E3.
This roster ought to be interesting, I wish we could see more of those silouettes, I shouldn't be concerned, yet I'm still looking around to make sure the man, Ike is there, most popular FE character is still there def. But yea if they intend to emphasize the nostalgia pandering that could be a viable angle for her return, among the obvious kit potential.
Yeah looking into the silhouettes would be too conspiracy theory-esque to me haha. They would be stupid to take Ike out, I am pretty sure he is the most played FE character on the roster, I don't think you have anything to worry about in that department! I still feel like Krystal's chances are good but not guaranteed. My fingers are certainly crossed for her to make the cut in this upcoming game! :pimp:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Still hoping my #2 pick makes it in. Star Fox needs some more love, and I'd love to see Wolf and/or Krystal make it in.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Still hoping my #2 pick makes it in. Star Fox needs some more love, and I'd love to see Wolf and/or Krystal make it in.
I'm still looking at it like this, One brings the other, Wolf only seemed to fly the coop with Smash 4 so what I'm thinking is they'll have several character announcements, there will be a Starfox-themed one which will announce both Wolf & Krystal for smash, if that doesn't happen I fear we may be out of luck.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I'm still looking at it like this, One brings the other, Wolf only seemed to fly the coop with Smash 4 so what I'm thinking is they'll have several character announcements, there will be a Starfox-themed one which will announce both Wolf & Krystal for smash, if that doesn't happen I fear we may be out of luck.
Yeah Star Fox fans were all infuriated at Wolf's removal(as was I as a wolf main in brawl). I hope you're right and both Krystal and Wolf make a comeback... I miss me some Wolf and we definitely need Krystal. Her staff move-set would be preferable to me as I love quick agile staff-based characters in most games I play. :p

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Great..........I look at my phone during my break at work to find a new Smash Bros. game has been announced for the Switch.....

Whelp let the character speculation begin ladies & gentlemen!!!!! Anyway, here’s to hoping for Wolf to return and Krystal to be added to the roster.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Smash 6 announced, I think things are looking good for our favorite telepath, she was a popular ballot request and has moveset potential, I think she will make it in, whether base game or DLC

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I didnt really expect there to be an announcement as the video looked like a Splatoon 1 port, but regardless we'll need to really get as much support this time. jordansweeto jordansweeto if you're still around, I dont know if you have any ideas but...

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys!
It's awesome to see everyone's excitement about the new Smash game - I'm still coming down off of the hype myself haha.

I'm under the impression myself that if the game is really coming out this year like they say then they have probably already decided the new characters by now. My guess is that a LOT of those characters that they chose were popular votes in the Smash Ballot, which I think is good for us because Krystal's support was really healthy back then especially.

With that said I think it's still worth a shot firing back up our Krystal support and getting top comments on any Smash related video/post we can!
I think we're all in the same boat and think that Krystal has a decent chance but definitely isn't guaranteed, still feels 50/50 to me as it's really hard to predict Nintendo.
BUT if Nintendo keep seeing (positive) top comments asking and reminding them about Krystal for Smash I think that even if we don't get her in the base game it will be important for her chances of potential future DLC.

If you guys want to give it another shot I suggest we start with getting Top Comments on the new Nintendo Direct video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsFna-Z1MjU
Most top comments are sitting at around 40 likes, if we can get a few Krystal comments up to that then I think that's a really good start.

We haven't given up after all these years, let's not give up now! Let's keep the Krystal support alive! c:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I think Krystal has the potential to be the most unique Star Fox character added to Super Smash Bros. I think it would be important to give her the Staff from Star Fox Adventures as it would help her stand out the most.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I have an idea for Krystal's smash playstyle: Krystal would be a radical departure from Fox, Falco, and Wolf, who have similar movesets. Krystal could use her staff from Star Fox: Adventures (magic spells, but mostly melee combat), maybe some of the weapons from Star Fox: Assault, as well as her psychic abilities. Plus I'd say she'd play as a primarily melee staff combo based character, whose combos can do some serious damage, but has below average damage resistance, and mediocre long range attacks. Essentially rewarding those who like to get up close and personal

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I think Krystal should be able to call in Tricky as an ability and her Final Smash should be the Pterodactyl.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys!
It's awesome to see everyone's excitement about the new Smash game - I'm still coming down off of the hype myself haha.

I'm under the impression myself that if the game is really coming out this year like they say then they have probably already decided the new characters by now. My guess is that a LOT of those characters that they chose were popular votes in the Smash Ballot, which I think is good for us because Krystal's support was really healthy back then especially.

With that said I think it's still worth a shot firing back up our Krystal support and getting top comments on any Smash related video/post we can!
I think we're all in the same boat and think that Krystal has a decent chance but definitely isn't guaranteed, still feels 50/50 to me as it's really hard to predict Nintendo.
BUT if Nintendo keep seeing (positive) top comments asking and reminding them about Krystal for Smash I think that even if we don't get her in the base game it will be important for her chances of potential future DLC.

If you guys want to give it another shot I suggest we start with getting Top Comments on the new Nintendo Direct video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsFna-Z1MjU
Most top comments are sitting at around 40 likes, if we can get a few Krystal comments up to that then I think that's a really good start.

We haven't given up after all these years, let's not give up now! Let's keep the Krystal support alive! c:
ohai! jordansweeto jordansweeto . yeah I got on that youtube video and made a comment/upvoted all our supporters that I saw on there, currently it's a lot to go through but it's worth it! We seem to be going pretty strong on the video but we could use more help on there! ^^ Also, yeah I agree that she probably is 50/50 chance atm, likely depending on how many characters/DLC we are getting, it's probably slightly higher if we take the DLC into account and the ballot picks, I am pretty sure she was really high up on the ballot. I also got on twitter and retweeted your tweet/liked it. Anything else you suggest doing?

I think Krystal has the potential to be the most unique Star Fox character added to Super Smash Bros. I think it would be important to give her the Staff from Star Fox Adventures as it would help her stand out the most.
Yes I believe this is the only way that she could be implemented AND interesting, I am pretty sure that this is the route that Nintendo would take should she be introduced to the game. Although, I would just be happy to see her make it into the game at this rate... xD

I think Krystal should be able to call in Tricky as an ability and her Final Smash should be the Pterodactyl.
hahah so maybe her forward b can be that she rides tricky? that could work I suppose lol. Yes I like the idea of utilizing Kyte as a final smash, that would be pretty badass! But Final smashes can go many directions with Krystal, she could also just use her "powers" in a flashy way. ^^

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Seeing the salt as the manchildren on GameFAQs community and the SF64 purists melt down would be an added bonus if Krystal gets in Smash 5.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Seeing the salt as the manchildren on GameFAQs community and the SF64 purists melt down would be an added bonus if Krystal gets in Smash 5.
I'd rather not have us look like a spiteful community, we should sell Krystal on her merits and not for "community superiority" There aren't as many of those anymore after Zero's flop anyway, I've seen more people shunning that thought line and moving to other games like Assault and Adventures, I've seen people both mention the game and shunning those thought lines on things like reddit and resetera without even really looking for it, This is a different time, mentalities are changing, Krystal does have a good chance overall, but like every character speculated none are guaranteed and they all have competition, all we must do is make her feel unique and popular. Which we've already done and will continue to do, to reiterate her points i'll create a bulletlist
-Advantages
1. intuitive, fresh kit involving a unique combo-oriented staff-based combat style, this itself contrasts with the rest of the Starfox roster
2. first-party character means there's no hoops to jump through for her inclusion
3. fairly popular in both US and Japan, nintendo's primary business targets as their reports would suggest (and I hear she's popular in germany too) especially during the ballot, which is when character selection would have occured most likely
-Disadvantages
1. Divisive character, opinions about Krystal aren't really neutral they're strongly positive or negative so this mitigates her popularity which is only so high to begin with.
2. Competition, there's alot more recent characters that she competes with for development time and several of them are more popular than her, so depending on roster size we may not get her
3. B-list series, SF has been on a decline for so long, losing a character in Smash 4 shows the series may not warrant more characters, and the veteran Wolf may take her space if they only feel it deserves 3, though this whole bullet may be irrelevant if the characters themselves are popular enough.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Throwing in my support again. It's been a while, hasn't it? I won't be nearly as vocal this time, but I'll chime in every once and a while.

Nice to see some familiar as well as new faces around these parts. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom