• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
Krystal has been a hugely popular choice as a newcomer for the Super Smash Bros series for years - as far back as Brawl from what I remember.

With the playable Star Fox characters in Smash all playing pretty similar she would make for an amazing opportunity for Sakurai to introduce a completely new kind of play-style via Krystal and her staff.
As a magical staff wielder and a telepath there is just a lot of potential for a super unique moveset.

Having Krystal involved in Smash Switch would not only make many people who have wanted her included for years happy but I believe it would also breath new life and excitement into the Star Fox series in general as people would be interested in this new kind of Star Fox character and the more ambitious games she was a part of like Star Fox Assault.

Krystal has been highly requested to Sakurai and Nintendo for so many years now - it is important for our voices to stay heard!

Krystal for Smash!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I will always want Krystal in Smash but what I want more now is just a quality StarFox game (preferably one that includes her). One that doesn't muck around will silly controls or obtuse gimmicks.

It's nice to see Nintendo acknowledging the series with icons on Switch, hopefully that means they'll be willing to give the series another shot sometime during the Switch's lifespan. And when I say "they" I mean... they'll outsource it to a subsidiary or third-party, lol.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm still aboard the Krystal for Smash hype train. And always will.

Though like N3ON said, I would be just as excited or her grand return to the Star Fox series. It's a shame she's been MIA since the release of Command years ago.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I will now and forever support Krystal's inclusion in smash. Her omission from starfox zero is a crime.
If she does get in and with her staff I'd like to see her with a energy gauge over her percentage like what Fox had in Adventures that refills when not used. her neutral special could be the fire blaster that when B is held can be aimed in a 180 degree arc over her head before firing when B is let go, side special ice blast that can be aimed like Bowser's fire breath, up special rocket boost, and either down special quake or reflect barrier, all of course use up the gauge.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Count me in. Threres pretty much no way Krystal would be a clone when she has that staff.

But I agree, StarFox needs more than just Krystal in Smash to get better reception. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to give Krystal her own game so we learn her backstory.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Glad you the thread, Jordan. As always, count me in as a supporter.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Krystal would be amaizing but recency seems to be a big thing in Smash.

I need spear users grrrr.
I will always want Krystal in Smash but what I want more now is just a quality StarFox game (preferably one that includes her). One that doesn't muck around will silly controls or obtuse gimmicks.

It's nice to see Nintendo acknowledging the series with icons on Switch, hopefully that means they'll be willing to give the series another shot sometime during the Switch's lifespan. And when I say "they" I mean... they'll outsource it to a subsidiary or third-party, lol.
Leave Miyamoto out of it and the game will be great, assuming Platinum does it again.
They just followed orders really...not desgined ect from the ground up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
While we're still on the first page, here's a moveset idea me and another user had long ago. I couldn't quote a post from a dead thread so I just copy pasted the whole thing. I'll go through and fix it in a bit.

IanTheGamer said: ↑
I like the stance change idea
Thanks, I remember posting one a while back and another user took it and expanded on it. It may take a while to find but I'll see if I can repost it.

Well I found my original idea and Amical's expansion on it
Guybrush20X6 said: ↑
Ok then, here's what I've got for a Krystal two stance moveset.

Krystal is in her assault design but with some flair from her adventures one and an extra holster on her back.

Adventures

B: Ice Spray: A cross between the Ice Climber's Blizzard and Bowser's Fire Breath. Krystal sprays ice continuously and can tilt it up and down. Dwindles after a while
B-Side: Ground Quake: Krystal leap forward and sticks her Staff in the ground, creating a small quake. Can aid recovery.
B-Up: Rocket Boost: Krystal shoots up into the air straight up. Has good knock back at the start and covers a lot of vertical distance but leave her vulnerable afterwards.

B-down: Weapon change: Krystal holster her current weapon (Staff to the back, gun to the hip) and takes out the other.

Assault (Note: Unlike the other SF crew, Krystal keeps her gun out and uses it in her melee attacks {like pistol whips not Mega Man type attacks}, her Smash attacks are short range charge shots)

B: Gatling gun: Fires a lot of shots in a short burst. The lasers themselves cover along distance and spread but is most effective damage wise at close range.
B-Side: Grenade: Krystal throws a grenade forward. Unlike Link's bombs or Snake's Grenades she can't hold and cook them but throws them faster to compensate.
B-Up: Jet Pack Assault: Krystal uses a jet pack to fly freely for 2-3 seconds. She can hit B to fire short range blaster shots. Doesn't cover a great distance and if hit her JP will explode.

What do you think?
Amical said: ↑
Let me build on this idea.

KRYSTAL'S MOVE SET:

- Staff Attacks

>AAA:
Krystal punches, then kicks, then swings her staff. (Comes out very quickly, ends fairly quickly. Punch and kick are short ranged, staff swing is medium ranged. Knockback is good and launches forward at a 45 degree angle. Does 12 damage total when fresh. First hit does 2 damage, second does 3, and third does 7. Not a kill move.)
> Dash Attack:
Krystal rushes forward and swings her staff in an upward motion. (Comes out semi-slowly, like Marth's Dash Attack. Long ranged. Knockback is decent and launches forward at a 45 degree angle. Does 8 damage when fresh. Not a kill move.)
> F Tilt:
Krystal stabs forward with her staff. (Comes out almost immediately. Long ranged. Knockback good and launches straight forward. Does 10 damage when fresh. Only a kill move at higher percents.)
> U Tilt:
Krystal quickly spins her staff above her, like a helicopter. (Comes out very quickly, ends very quickly. Medium ranged above her. Knockback is small and launches straight upward. Does 6 damage when fresh. Not a kill move.)
> D Tilt:
Krystal crouches and swings her staff horizontally in front of her. (Comes out fairly quickly. Long ranged. Knockback is minimal and launches at an 80 degree angle forward, allowing for it to combo into itself. Does 5 damage when fresh. Not a kill move.)
> F Air:
Krystal swings her staff vertically in front of her. (Comes out very quickly. Long ranged. Knockback is good and launches straight forward. Does 10 damage when fresh. Kill move, but at higher percents.)
> U Air:
Krystal backflips and slashes above her with her staff. (Comes out almost immediately. Long ranged. Knockback is minimal and launches straight upward, allowing it to easily combo into itself. Does 7 damage when fresh. Not a kill move.)
> D Air:
Krystal stabs her staff downward. (Comes out semi-slowly. Long ranged. Knockback acts as a powerful meteor. Does 11 damage when fresh. Kill move at low percents when off-stage.)
> B Air:
Krystal spins and slashes horizontally behind her, using both hands. (Comes out semi-quickly. Long ranged. Knockback is good and launches straight backward. Does 13 damage when fresh. Kill move.)
> N Air:
Krystal rapidly spins her staff around, forming a circle around her. (Comes out fairly quickly. Medium ranged. Hits multiple times, and the final hit's knockback is minimal, and launches the opponent back in the direction they came from. Does 14 damage if all hits connect when fresh. Not a kill move.)
> F Smash:
Krystal uses both hands to slash the staff diagonally in front of her. (Comes out fairly quickly. Long ranged. Knockback is great and launches straight forward. Does 14 damage when fresh. Kill move.)
> U Smash:
Krystal stabs the staff straight up, and it is surrounded in flames. (Comes out very quickly. Long ranged. Knockback is good and launches straight up. Does 16 damage when fresh. Kill move, but at higher percents. Does fire damage.)
> D Smash:
Krystal stabs the staff into the ground, creating a quake around her. (Comes out semi-slowly. Range extends slightly above her head because of the staff, and it has medium range on either side of her because of the quake. Knockback is great and launches straight forward or backward if it hits with the quake, and launches straight up if it hits with the staff. Does 18 damage when fresh. Great kill move.)
> Neutral B:
Krystal shoots ice from the tip of her staff, like Charizard's fire breath. The angle can be controlled. (Comes out semi-quickly. Long ranged. Knockback works exactly like Charizard's fire breath. Starts at 10 damage per second, and slowly decreases to 1 damage per second. Not a kill move. Does ice damage.)
> Side B:
Krystal takes a great leap forward, flips, and slashes with her staff. Can be used in the air. (Comes out fairly quickly. The jump goes a long distance, and the slash is medium ranged. Knockback is good and launches at a 30 degree angle forward. Does 13 damage when fresh. Kill move, but only at higher percents.)
> Up B
Krystal uses the staff to launch herself up a great vertical distance. Horizontal distance is minimal. Krystal can use aerials out of this move, like Snake's recovery. (Comes out fairly quickly. The jumping motion has a hitbox, which hits multiple times and finally launches forward or backward at a 70 degree angle. This move always does 15 damage if all hits connect. Only a kill move at very high percents.)

DOWN B: STANCE CHANGE
(Krystal changes stances between her Staff Stance and her Assault Stance. The change starts on frame 1 and ends on frame 5, allowing for a quick transition. If she is holding her staff, she puts it in a sheath on her back, and pulls out a blaster from a holster on her hip. If she is holding the blaster, she puts it in its holster and draws her staff.)

- Assault Attacks

> AAA:
Krystal swings her blaster in front of her, punches, and then kicks. (Comes out fairly quickly, ends fairly quickly. Swing is medium ranged, punch is short ranged, and the kick is medium ranged. Knockback is decent and launches forward at a 45 degree angle. Does a total of 13 damage when fresh. First hit does 3 damage, second hit does 4, and third does 6. Not a kill move.)
> Dash Attack:
This is one of Krystal's very few real "clone" moves. It is exactly the same as Fox's Dash Attack.
> F Tilt:
This move looks the same as Falco's F Tilt. However, the only difference is in knockback: it launches straight forward, does 10 damage when fresh, and is a kill move at higher percents.
> U Tilt:
Krystal does a quick backflip, kicking above her with both legs and landing gracefully back on her feet. (Comes out very quickly. Medium ranged. There are two hits, one for each leg, and the second kick has good knockback that launches straight upward. Does 12 damage when fresh if both hits connect. Kill move at high percents.)
> D Tilt:
Krystal crouches down and swings her legs in front of her. (Comes out fairly quickly. Medium ranged. Knockback is decent and launches at a 45 degree angle forward. Does 7 damage when fresh. Not a kill move.)
> F Air:
Krystal kicks, spins, and kicks again in quick succession. (Comes out fairly quickly, ends semi-quickly. Medium ranged. Knockback is good on both hits, making it much harder to air dodge, and launches straight forward. Each kick does 7 damage when fresh. Kill move at higher percents.)
> U Air:
Krystal backflips and throws a grenade a very short distance above her, creating a medium-sized explosion. (Comes out semi-slowly. Long ranged. Knockback is great and launches straight upward. Does 15 damage when fresh. Kill move.)
> D Air:
Krystal throws a quickly-exploding grenade beneath her, creating a medium-sized explosion. (Comes out semi-quickly. Long ranged. Knockback is decent and launches straight up, but only about enough to get opponents above her head a short distance, allowing this move to lead into her N Air, which will be explained shortly. Does 9 damage when fresh. Only a kill move at very high percents.)
> B Air:
Krystal spins and kicks behind her. (Comes out very quickly. Medium ranged. Knockback is good and launches straight backward. Does 10 damage when fresh. Only a kill move at higher percents.)
> N Air:
Krystal does the splits and a backflip at the same time, creating two hitboxes spinning around her. (Comes out very quickly. Medium ranged. Knockback is decent on both legs, launching in the direction that the opponent came from. Each leg does 10 damage when fresh. Not a kill move.)
> F Smash:
Krystal leaps forward with a spinning kick. (Comes out fairly quickly. The leap carries her a short distance, and the kick is medium ranged, lasting for the entire leap. Knockback is good and launches forward at a 30 degree angle. Kill move at higher percents.)
> U Smash:
Krystal does an uppercut, and when the opponent is above her, she throws out several grenades toward them, which create a big explosion. (The uppercut comes out semi-quickly, and knocks the opponent straight up, only slightly above her, and it only does 1 damage. However, it stuns the opponent long enough so they cannot do anything while Krystal quickly throws the grenades at them. The grenades come out immediately after the uppercut. They create a large hitbox above her, like Lucas's U Smash. Knockback is a bit stronger than even Fox's U Smash, launching straight up. The grenades do 20 damage when fresh. Definitely a kill move. However, if Krystal misses with the uppercut, she will still throw grenades, and the cool down is laggy, so she can be punished hard for it. But if the uppercut DOES connect, then the grenades will always hit, no matter how the opponent DIs.)
> D Smash:
Krystal plants a sensor bomb. (Comes out semi-slowly. The bomb will explode when a player steps on it. Knockback is good and launches straight up. Does 12 damage always. Kill move at higher percents.)
> Neutral B:
Krystal shoots her blaster. The lasers are green. (Comes out fairly quickly. The lasers can shoot slightly faster than Falco's. Knockback is minimal, stunning the opponent for half a second. Always does 3 damage per laser beam. Not a kill move.)
> Side B:
This move has two effects.
If the player is already holding forward and then presses B, Krystal will quickly throw a grenade. (Comes out fairly quickly. Grenade launches as far as Snake's do when thrown normally. They explode after 2 seconds. Knockback is decent, launching the opponent in a random direction upward, but not downward or to the sides. Always does 8 damage. Not a kill move.)
If the player presses forward and B at the same time, then Krystal pulls out a missile launcher and fires a missile. (Comes out semi-slowly. The missile itself travels very quickly, and will explode after ten seconds if it doesn't hit anything. On contact, knockback is good, and launches the opponent in the same direction that the missile hit from. Always does 15 damage. Kill move at higher percents.)
> Up B:
Krystal pulls out a jet pack and is able to fly around freely for five seconds. After the five seconds, she free falls. This move can be cancelled into her aerials, but has no hitbox. (Comes out semi-quickly.)

-Throws (Both Stances)

> Normal Grab
Krystal lunges forward and grabs, giving her grab range similar to something between D3's and Marth's.
> Dash Grab
Krystal's Dash Grab has a much shorter range.
>Pummel
Krystal punches the opponent with her staff in hand. (Always does 1% per pummel. Pummels are moderately fast.)
> F Throw
Krystal throws the opponent into the air slightly, then slashes with her staff. (Knockback is good and launches forward. Does 10 damage when fresh. Kill throw at higher percents.)
> U Throw
Krystal throws the opponent up into the air and shoots them multiple times with her blaster, like Fox's U Throw. (Does 7 damage when fresh. Not a kill throw.)
> D Throw
Krystal slams the opponent on the ground and shoots them with her blaster, popping them into the air a short distance. (Does 10 damage when fresh. Not a kill throw, but good for leading into other attacks.)
> B Throw
Krystal tosses the opponent behind her, then spins and slashes with her staff. (Knockback is good and launches straight backward. Does 8 damage when fresh. Kill throw at higher percents.)

- Miscellaneous

> Normal Get-Up Attack
Krystal spins around, swiping her staff on either side of her. There are two hitboxes.
> Get-Up Attack above 100%
Krystal slowly stands and stabs with her staff on either side of her, first in front, then behind.
> Ledge Attack
Krystal flips onto the stage, swinging her staff in front of her.
> Ledge Attack above 100%
Krystal slowly gets up, flips and kicks in front of her.

Final Smash: Demon Sniper
Krystal pulls out a demon sniper from thin air, and fires it across the stage. The bullet works like Marth's FS and Zelda's FS combined, going through everything. It instantly kills anyone in its straight path.

Play Style:
Krystal is a character that allows you to choose between two options while fighting: A ranged fighter, or a close ranged fighter. While in her Staff Stance, she is mainly a horizontal killer. Your objective is to space your opponent with her staff, similar to Marth's style. She can rack up damage in this stance with her good speed and range. Good pokes for her are her F Tilt and D Tilt. While in her Assault Stance, she becomes a vertical killer. Your objective is to control the stage with her sensor bomb and grenades, stop approaches with her missile launcher, and rack up damage with her swift attacks if your opponent gets too close. Her U Smash will easily kill around 100% on most characters with no DI, but it is high risk, so it should only be used when the timing is absolutely perfect. However, her melee range is shorter than that of her Staff Stance.

Other Comments:
All her moves in her Staff Stance have more priority than the moves in her Assault Stance.
Krystal is a medium weight character.

Behold, the most extremely unique and versatile character of all time: Krystal.

Luminario

Smash Lord
That's a pretty well thought out moveset. I'm pretty committed to the pure staff idea but I'd really be happy if Krystal got in the game with that moveset instead.
If Krystal with the staff gets in the game though she should definitely use that spinny attack that fox does in Adventures as a flurry attack.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Our situation is very different from where it was two years ago. A new Star Fox game has come and gone without Krystal's presence, another retelling of the Lylat Wars from before she entered the picture. Star Fox Zero's creative direction left us in the dark and relegated Krystal to stand alongside King K. Rool, Isaac, and others who have the prominence, unique traits, and high moveset potential said by Sakurai to be key traits in a character's favor...but not the relevance a first party non-retro newcomer needs.

But due to circumstances, there might be a way around it. We've reason to believe they might pull another character from the Smash Ballot, and Krystal might just be one of the more likely choices. With strong fan support (which, unlike normally, did matter with the Ballot), the aforementioned favorable traits, and word that implies she was considered for Brawl and may have only missed out due to time constraints, Krystal would be on the proverbial short list.

We may have to bank on a few things breaking our way...but in some regards, our odds are a little better now that we may have a way around her previous lack of relevance. You have my sword and tome...so to speak.

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
It is very important now for us supporters to have Krystal return to a new Star Fox game.
I don't know when that will be seeing as Zero didn't do very well at all - but for those of you who want to see her return, we need to make our voices heard!

I'll be linking official Nintendo videos every now and then in this thread where we can all go send our unified Krystal support together in attempts to make the Top Comment section so Nintendo will definitely see them!

It's one great way we can start putting our Krystal support into practice - much like the K Rool community during the Smash Ballot!

Nintendo know Krystal is popular, if we ever want her to return to the Star Fox series and then eventually Smash Bros then we need to unify our support and make it known!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dumb wishful thinking below.

Dinosaur Planet was meant to be Rare's Zelda but the Zelda formula got torn down and rebuilt. What if... Star Fox Adventures, Breath of the Wild style (not to be confused with Wildstyle, who is also not to be confused for a DJ).

Maybe that way we could get Krystal's backstory and we get an open world Dinosaur game where you're not constantly juggling wellness meters until you discover farming and squat in a hut for the rest of the game.

In fact... give a me a minute and I'll work on the concept.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Krystal is in dark times, but I will still support her! I will kill Myamoto someday for leaving Krystal out of SF 0!!!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I gave the concept some thought and put it in a Google Doc for all to view

Dinosaur Planet: Breath of the Wild style

I'll come back and add more to it later but I think I'm on to something here.

What do you think of it?

Last edited:

Flavius

:^)
NNID
TheEdgyOne
I haven't abandoned her for this long and I never will. I will always support Krystal, no matter the circumstances.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Once again I support Krystal. As divisive as it was, Star Fox Adventures was my first and still my favorite Star Fox game. I'd love Krystal to have a stage based on Krazoa Palace or any other Star Fox Adventures area along with the game's underrated score from musical sorcerer David Wise.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Leave Miyamoto out of it and the game will be great, assuming Platinum does it again.
They just followed orders really...not desgined ect from the ground up.
I would love if Platinum made a SF game solely by themselves, and had a liberal amount of creative license to do what they want.

But in the Nintendo cycle I see the SF0 missteps translating into them not wanting to rectify Star Fox as much as not deal with again for many years. But who knows, the fact that the Star Fox icons are among the default selection on the Switch gives me even a tiny glimmer of hope the series won't be dormant for as long as it was (not counting the remake) prior to Zero.

I could see Nintendo monitoring the sales of Adventures and Assault they come to the GC/VC, potentially gauging remaining series interest.

Last edited:

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I still support Krystal as well. Nintendo needs to bring her back to the Star Fox series.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I just wanted to pledge my support for Krystal, who I feel has gotten quite a raw deal, after being dragged into the Star Fox series from elsewhere, getting her species changed from cat to fox, and then winding up with those in charge not really knowing what to do with her later on.

I always liked her depiction in Star Fox Assault the most, though she certainly gets some good moments, and an awesome theme tune, in Star Fox Command (which is a game I like more than most seem to - it's actually pretty good if you view it on its own merits).

That said, I know that her debut in Star Fox Adventures provides a lot more to work with for a moveset!

Anyway, best of luck, everyone! :grin:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I never understood why people didn't like Assault, besides the fact that the story was kinda short. The gameplay was super fun, especially multiplayer, and it all looked really nice too. They should really go with that general gameplay in the next Starfox game and leave Starfox 64 behind. Command was fun too, and it added a few more female characters so it wasn't just a complete sausage fest + Krystal.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I never understood why people didn't like Assault, besides the fact that the story was kinda short. The gameplay was super fun, especially multiplayer, and it all looked really nice too. They should really go with that general gameplay in the next Starfox game and leave Starfox 64 behind.
So I'm not the only one who feels this way? :eek:

I should put a disclaimer here, though: I never liked Star Fox 64 very much. :p I always much preferred the SNES continuity and its gameplay, which most people don't realise is as different as it is. Accordingly, my favourite mainline titles in the rebooted series tend to be the ones that leave Star Fox 64's mould behind.

Luminario

Smash Lord
So I'm not the only one who feels this way? :eek:

I should put a disclaimer here, though: I never liked Star Fox 64 very much. :p I always much preferred the SNES continuity and its gameplay, which most people don't realise is as different as it is. Accordingly, my favourite mainline titles in the rebooted series tend to be the ones that leave Star Fox 64's mould behind.
Starfox SNES and 64, while gems of their time, are pretty outdated when you compare them to even Commands gameplay, let alone Assaults. The fact that Zero used the exact same rail shooter mechanics as 64 was a pretty bad idea. They should have stuck with Assaults mechanics and refined them.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Starfox SNES and 64, while gems of their time, are pretty outdated when you compare them to even Commands gameplay, let alone Assaults. The fact that Zero used the exact same rail shooter mechanics as 64 was a pretty bad idea. They should have stuck with Assaults mechanics and refined them.
I always felt that Assault and Command were the only times that the series was ever allowed to move on from the Star Fox 64 reboot. And then the opportunities to do more just seemed to be squandered, usually with the series' popularity being blamed.

It's kind of silly - a series can't become more popular if you don't allow it to grow and evolve. But whenever Star Fox grows and evolves, it just gets rebooted. It's like there's a villain somewhere who keeps pressing a reset switch. :laugh:

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I always felt that Assault and Command were the only times that the series was ever allowed to move on from the Star Fox 64 reboot. And then the opportunities to do more just seemed to be squandered, usually with the series' popularity being blamed.

It's kind of silly - a series can't become more popular if you don't allow it to grow and evolve. But whenever Star Fox grows and evolves, it just gets rebooted. It's like there's a villain somewhere who keeps pressing a reset switch. :laugh:
I couldn't agree more. I LOVED Star Fox: Assault, and I feel that was the most innovative way that the series could've been pushed. I understand some of the criticisms behind the game, but I feel that it's underrated. I have less love for Command, as I feel that going back to 64-style with RPG elements probably wasn't the best route they could've taken. A noble effort, though.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I couldn't agree more. I LOVED Star Fox: Assault, and I feel that was the most innovative way that the series could've been pushed. I understand some of the criticisms behind the game, but I feel that it's underrated.
I'm in the same boat. I can see where the criticisms come from (and I have one of my own with regard to there being too many repeated instructional calls, but that's a problem that was introduced in Star Fox 64), but the concept and execution were largely very good, and the multi-player mode was something else! (It does show that it was completed before the main game, though, as it's a little more polished. And that makes sense, since the game was originally supposed to have an arcade version as a twin, as F-Zero GX did.)

Honestly, if they were to make a modernised version of Star Fox Assault's multi-player mode on its own, and sell it on the Switch eShop as a relatively cheap offering, I would buy it in a heartbeat, because it'd be fantastic for online and offline play, and fit in really well with how the Switch is designed for this sort of thing. The same goes for if Assault were to get a Virtual Console release, too.

I have less love for Command, as I feel that going back to 64-style with RPG elements probably wasn't the best route they could've taken. A noble effort, though.
I agree that it wasn't necessarily the best route, but like I said, you just have to take it for what it is - it was an opportunity for some of the key members of the original third-party team who pitched the series to Nintendo to begin with* to work on it again at a different company (now their own one, rather than someone else's), and to re-use some of what they'd done with Star Fox 2 on the SNES. It's a bit of a black sheep title, but it's by no means a bad one, as some paint it to be.

*I kind of find it a little odd when people complain about the Star Fox series being "farmed out" to third-parties, since it began life being pitched by one, and its original SNES games were made by that same one. I guess the folks who say this weren't around back then. :laugh:

Is that what we're calling Miyamoto nowadays?:awesome:
Hah! :laugh: Oh man, I didn't think of it being interpreted that way! That was thoroughly unintentional.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
As someone who's never played a Star Fox game but loves the spacies in Smash (and I spoiled myself on the lore and general gist of things with somecallmejohnny and Brainscratch vids), I'd be willing to support Krystal if she's ever brought back into the series.

That being said, I think it depends heavily on how she's brought back into Star Fox. I know a lot of people like Adventures, but I think it'd be best to re-imagine the character and give her a fresh start. And when I say re-imagine, I don't mean give her a redesign or completely abandon some aspects of her origin, but given that most people's beef with the character (from my understanding at least) comes from Adventures and Command I think it'd be best to take advantage of the reboot and steer Krystal in a new direction.

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad that most of you are on the same page as me, agreeing that Star Fox Assault is the best direction to take the Star Fox series. It was by far the most ambitious game in the series and the formula is perfect in my opinion.

Krystal was apparently SO close to making it into Smash Bros Brawl - back then she was very much an important character in the SF series. If she had made it into Smash back then I seriously doubt her absence from the SF games today would even be a thing as her popularity would be even more confirmed and wide-spread..

I agree that the only way we'll see her return to this former glory is for her to be brought back in the next Star Fox game (hopefully on the Switch!)
That means we (the fans) NEED to be vocal to Nintendo about our support for her. We know how popular she is, so many people support her but we are scattered across the internet. I want to unify our support and voices so it is less likely to fall under the seas of comments that Nintendo receive.

I've made a Krystal support Team on Twitter but also want to post official Nintendo Youtube videos here that we can all go to comment Krystal support on in the future. Getting lots of Top Comments from now on will honestly help Krystal's chances of returning (it will also help other Krystal supporters feel like they can share their voices and band together!).
I hope this venture is something everyone in this thread may be interested in!

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'll support. I don't exactly see her as particularly likely but hell neither is Snake at this point. Maybe Star Fox Zero will get ported over or even better, get a proper sequel. Zero wasn't a BAD game, it was just dragged down by the execution of the motion controls.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Maybe Star Fox Zero will get ported over or even better, get a proper sequel.
I think it's a good sign that Shigeru Miyamoto has committed to work harder to ensure the series' popularity. With any luck, that commitment would mean not repeating old mistakes.

Miyamoto wishes StarFox franchise was more popular, plans to 'put more energy' into StarFox, Pikmin

Coming from Shigeru Miyamoto's Apple Soho appearance...

Yeah, I always wanted Fox McCloud to be a bit more popular than he is. [Crowd: "awww…"] But I think one more would be Pikmin. So I think these two, I'll need to put some more energy into.

I am so happy to hear that. I love both franchises, but StarFox is really near and dear to my heart. While I'm guessing it'll be awhile until we see a new installment, at least we know Miyamoto's passion is there.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just wanted to pledge my support for Krystal, who I feel has gotten quite a raw deal, after being dragged into the Star Fox series from elsewhere, getting her species changed from cat to fox, and then winding up with those in charge not really knowing what to do with her later on.
I mean... better than being owned by Microsoft... which is what would've happened if Dinosaur Planet had come to fruition.

I think it's a good sign that Shigeru Miyamoto has committed to work harder to ensure the series' popularity. With any luck, that commitment would mean not repeating old mistakes.
I dunno... I kinda wish he was committed to letting other people put more energy into it... I'm aware of what Miyamoto's vision is for Star Fox. I've played it three times. :p
Seriously though let another dev have a crack at it. Also if EPD is making it Krystal probs won't be in it.

Though at least if they try again on the Switch... the gimmick, whatever it should be, will likely be optional. Like ARMS.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I will say that Star Fox 64 is still the best game mechanically but I hate that it's so worshipped and the other games aren't enjoyed because they're not it. Assault's story is more linear but the multiplayer is so much better. Command went too far in the opposite direction and made a story so convoluted and satus quo changing that the canon just kinda died.

Though now that SFZero has rebooted the canon they can take the best parts of other games and improve on it. Maybe bring back Krystal and the pilots from SF2 and make choosing what wing-men (and women) to bring part of the chalenge.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I mean... better than being owned by Microsoft... which is what would've happened if Dinosaur Planet had come to fruition.
Oh, absolutely. Hence "quite a raw deal", and not "a totally raw deal". :laugh:

I dunno... I kinda wish he was committed to letting other people put more energy into it... I'm aware of what Miyamoto's vision is for Star Fox. I've played it three times. :p
Seriously though let another dev have a crack at it. Also if EPD is making it Krystal probs won't be in it.
I agree. I always felt the first game, which was made by the people who pitched it to Nintendo, combined with some Nintendo staff, was better than Star Fox 64, and my favourite titles in the rebooted series are the ones that were handled by outside companies (Star Fox Assault being by Namco, and Star Fox Command being by Q-Games). Those tend to be the ones that let the series grow.

Incidentally, if anyone's looking for a game that's a relative of the original Star Fox continuity, do check out X-Scape/3D Space Tank - it's a sequel to the Game Boy game X, which is effectively a blood relative of, and predecessor to, Star Fox on the SNES, as it was made by the same people. The big difference is that the action is focussed around a tank, instead of a spacecraft.

Though now that SFZero has rebooted the canon they can take the best parts of other games and improve on it. Maybe bring back Krystal and the pilots from SF2 and make choosing what wing-men (and women) to bring part of the chalenge.
I would love that. I always liked the designs for Fay and Miyu, and it's a real shame that they didn't actually make it into a released game.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This actually lends itself to an open worl-er space Star Fox idea that I had from a long time ago.

Now here me out before you start pitching fits about how Star Fox is about action. I'm not talking about Breath of the Wild open world, or Skyrim, and sure as hell not No Man's Sky. I'm talking about a Wind Waker esque pseudo-open world where you still always have on main objective with new areas of the galaxy opening up as you complete them. The difference is that instead of selecting missions from a menu you can travel there yourself. With little explorable outposts, planetoids, and dogfights littering the places in between that act as sidequests. I don't want it to be where the linear missions are gone though so I'm thinking that once you reach a planet you can still explore but you can also select various missions and then be set into the typical, beloved Star Fox formula. I dunno, it's always an idea I had because I've always wanted to explore the Star Fox universe more. I doubt it'll ever happen though.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm talking about a Wind Waker esque pseudo-open world where you still always have on main objective with new areas of the galaxy opening up as you complete them. The difference is that instead of selecting missions from a menu you can travel there yourself. With little explorable outposts, planetoids, and dogfights littering the places in between that act as sidequests. I don't want it to be where the linear missions are gone though so I'm thinking that once you reach a planet you can still explore but you can also select various missions and then be set into the typical, beloved Star Fox formula. I dunno, it's always an idea I had because I've always wanted to explore the Star Fox universe more. I doubt it'll ever happen though.
This kind of sounds like a modern take on the direction that Star Fox 2 was taking on the SNES. If it was done right, and didn't end up sparse and therefore dull, this'd work really well.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This actually lends itself to an open worl-er space Star Fox idea that I had from a long time ago.

Now here me out before you start pitching fits about how Star Fox is about action. I'm not talking about Breath of the Wild open world, or Skyrim, and sure as hell not No Man's Sky. I'm talking about a Wind Waker esque pseudo-open world where you still always have on main objective with new areas of the galaxy opening up as you complete them. The difference is that instead of selecting missions from a menu you can travel there yourself. With little explorable outposts, planetoids, and dogfights littering the places in between that act as sidequests. I don't want it to be where the linear missions are gone though so I'm thinking that once you reach a planet you can still explore but you can also select various missions and then be set into the typical, beloved Star Fox formula. I dunno, it's always an idea I had because I've always wanted to explore the Star Fox universe more. I doubt it'll ever happen though.
I'm thinking a three way mixture of Breath of the Wild, Wind Waker and Star Fox. The main planets play like standard Star Fox levels, with an open world in between and you can play them in any order but they have a 5 star threat rating so you don't go to the hardest one first by accident. And the more levels you do, the more advantages you get in the final area. For example, the team getting scattered after the first mission and as you play more levels you find more of them and maybe even brand new team members (that could be a way to bring in Fay, Miyu, Krystal or any other character you like).

Last edited:

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice

I love this idea honestly, sounds like a fantastic way to add a little something extra into the Star Fox formula to help make it feel new and exciting!
Mix it with a story of Assault likeness (hopefully a little longer) and I really think the series would start to grow again!

I hope by the time Miyamoto starts giving Star Fox more attention he decides to keep the lore we've received from Adventures and Assault (maybe not Command). Pretending those games never existed at this point would just be a huge slap in the face to all of the fans in my opinion.
Keep Krystal, Sauria and the new Star Wolf. They all add depth which is something the series desperately NEEDS.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Pretending those games never existed at this point would just be a huge slap in the face to all of the fans in my opinion.
In fairness, those of us who liked the SNES continuity had our faces slapped big-time, twice, with a major game cancellation with poor excuses surrounding it (Star Fox 64 is nothing like Star Fox 2 and retains almost nothing from it, and a 1995 release would never have detracted from the series' debut on the N64) and a reboot, and we just had to live with it - nobody ever speaks up about that. :p

Still, I agree. Throwing out an established continuity is bad no matter which way it happens. This newest instance of it came after they didn't even try to stabilise and grow things.

In spite of what people say about it, it would've been easy enough to deal with Command's multiple endings - they just had to pick one and stick with it*. Other series that have multiple endings never have this problem with continual reboots, after all!

*My personal favourite is "Fox and Falco's Faulty Victory", incidentally, but there's no way they'd choose that as a point of continuation for the next game. :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom