• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team OXY presents: Kings of Cali 2! BRING SETUPS! Ken, Mango, Axe - April 13th, 2013 - Pasadena CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
April 13-14, 2013

- introduction -

Team OXY (TheCrimsonBlur, stabbedbyanipple, Sung666) proudly presents the sequel to last November's Apex qualifier: the Spring installment of Socal's premier regional series. The stakes are raised, with 2 days and new exhibitions planned, Kings of Cali 2 looks to improve upon its predecessor in every way.

- location -

Jake's Billiards and Bar
http://jakespasadena.com/

38 West Colorado Boulevard
Pasadena, CA 91105

features:
-6000 sq ft. (3/4 the Genesis venue)
-central Socal location, in the middle of old town Pasadena
-a stage, projector, and crowd seating area for hype matches
-HDTVs strewn around the venue (usually used to show sports) which will be used to display the main setup matches --- similar to the Santa Barbara venue if you were there
-14 billiards tables which can EACH fit ~6 setups comfortably
-bar and dining area
-street level outdoor cafe for when you want to get some fresh air/eat

Jake's Billiards. Indoor seating and dining is on the first floor

Outdoor seating + cafe

Room 1. Includes the projector, seating area, and 7 tables.

Another angle of Room 1.

Room 2. 8 tables (1 not pictured).

Closeup of projector, stage, and audio setup in Room 1.

Bar and downstairs dining area.

Note that one thing you can't see in the pictures is that in each of the corners there is an HDTV or two. ~a dozen TVs are scattered throughout the venue, which will be used to display the main setup matches.

Also, a lot of rearrangement will be done. The billiard tables will be covered, and a lot of the furniture will be moved.

- schedule -

10:30 line outside begins
11:00 venue opens
12:00 doubles bracket to top 4
2:30 singles pools round 1 wave 1
4:30 singles pools round 1 wave 2
6:30 norcal v socal teams crew battle
7:30 ken v scar bo7
9:00 venue closes

10:30 line outside begins
11:00 venue opens
12:00 singles pools round 2
2:00 teams top 4
3:30 singles bracket
9:00 venue closes

- parking -

Most parking lots in the area are ~$5 for the entire day.

- cost -

Venue fee: $0. There is no door fee. But you have to pay for the food we will be providing (see catering below)
Catering fee: $25
Melee Singles: $10
Melee Doubles: $10

- prizes -

1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
4th: 5%
5th: 2.5%
5th: 2.5%

This may change depending out turnout, but for now we plan to pay top 5.

- registration -

Due to the nature of the catering, the venue needs to know how much food to make prior to the event. Pre-registration is mandatory.

REGISTER HERE. LAST DAY TO REGISTER IS APRIL 6th!!!!

Check the current paid registration this ATTENDEES LIST

- catering -

Jake's is providing catering for the event! We will pool all the money from the pre-registration to order food in bulk! This means that the more people register, the more food we can give everyone.

- stream -

Will be streaming the tournament! We're flying out vgbc.GimR specifically for this event, and he'll be joined by aisight and OXY's own Stabbedbyanipple as the stream doom squad. We're hoping to provide an encore to the wonderful production quality at the first Kings of Cali, and enlisting VGBC was the best way to do it!

STREAM LINK | LIVESTREAM TRAILER

- housing -

For out-of-region attendees not getting housing from locals, the official hotel for Kings of Cali 2 is the Valley Hotel in Rosemead. Its extremely cheap ($59 a night for two beds. Split 4 ways thats less than $15 per), and has CRT TVs. Only downside is its ~10 miles from the venue but assuming you have transport to and from, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Other Smashers are already reserved there, so if you plan on being where the party is at, the Valley is the place to be. There are only 15 rooms left for the weekend, so we recommend you reserve now, but to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if there were rooms available on walk-in if you get stuck.

Team OXY (me, Sung, etc) and VGbootcamp (aisight, Gimr, etc) are confirmed to be there :)

- ruleset -

MBR Recommended Rule Set
WITHOUT JAPES ON FOR TEAMS
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (Singles and Teams)

Singles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
  • For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.

Doubles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Kongo Jungle 64
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
  • For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.

General Rules
  • Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively.
  • Double Blind*: If elected.
  • Contest Port Priority*: If elected.
  • Neutral Start*: If elected.
  • Standard DSR*
  • Gentleman’s Clause*
  • Forced Character Selection*: Off
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.
Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Team Attack: ON.
  • Life Stealing is allowed.
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
How to Play a Set
  1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind.
  2. Use Stage Striking* to determine the first stage.
  3. The players play the first match of the set.
    Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start.
    Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a Neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
  9. The next match is played.
  10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.
***Term Definitions***

• Double Blind: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
  • Contest Port Priority: If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a best of 1 game of Rock Paper Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port.
  • Neutral Start: Either player may enact this rule. Once enacted, both players may only use one of the two “Neutral Starting Positions”. A best of one game of Rock Paper Scissors may be used to determine who gets the higher port. If one player elects to Contest Port Priority and the other elects to Neutral Start, Neutral Start takes priority.
    Singles:
    Stage|Port 1|Port 2|Port 3|Port 4
    FD|*|*
    FoD|*|*
    YS|*|*
    DL||*||*
    BF|||*|*
    PS|||*|*

Doubles:
    Stage|Port 1|Port 2|Port 3|Port 4
    FD|Team A|Team B|Team A|Team B
    PS|Team A|Team B|Team B|Team A
    BF|Team A|Team B|Team B|Team A
    YS|Team A|Team B|Team B|Team A
    DL|Team A|Team B|Team B|Team A
    For the counterpick stages not listed here: Take the 20 seconds to figure it out. This will get updated later.
  • Standard DSR: A player/team may not counterpick to a stage they have won on.
  • DSR Modified: A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR.
  • Forced Character Selection: The losing player once had the option to select Random Stage as their counterpick and remove the option to change characters from the winner of the previous round. This is no longer legal. If a player wishes to select Random Stage as their counterpick, the winner of the previous round may choose to change their character.
  • Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining.
    Players strike stages in this order:
    Strike|Player 1|Player 2
    Strike 1|*|
    Strike 2||*
    Strike 3||*
    Strike 4|*

(Pretty standard/conservative. If anyone has any serious concerns with the ruleset, please voice them. I make rulesets for players, not to make a statement.)

- conduct rules -
*stolen from Rule 6*
  1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament with no refund.
  3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Failure to comply can also result in disqualification.
  4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag and equipment. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible, keep an eye on your equipment and always check to make sure you’re using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be restarted because of these problems.
  5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
  6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
  7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO’s discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
  8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
  9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
  10. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player’s ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.
  11. Although a rarity in melee (regarding textures and other game hacks):
  • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
  • Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO’s discretion.
- alcohol/drinking rules -
  • NO UNDERAGE DRINKING WHATSOEVER. The venue is for all ages, but there will be very strict and harsh punishments for any participants who break this rule. This includes a lifetime ban from all Team OXY events and their affiliates, Jake's Billiards, and the involvement of law enforcement. Furthermore, it is unlikely the smash community will ever get this incredible venue ever again. Do not test us. There will be multiple bouncers at the venue.
  • BRING AN ID OR YOU CAN'T GET IN. EVEN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DRINK Please don't forget.
  • DRINK RESPONSIBILITY. Belligerent persons will be kicked out and barred reentry. DO NOT DRIVE DRUNK. Have a designated driver set up.

oksas

oak-sauce
time to check when spring break is!!!!!

edit: spring break is like a month before for me luls. if i can get a way up there though i should be able to make it tho

Brian

Smash Journeyman
actually nevermind that
who would be down to do housing and can either pick me up from union station in LA or is close enough that i could take LA's ****ty transit system to them

trying to get that megabus goin fam

SNPR

Smash Journeyman
Woops. My teacher must of messed up the dates on the syllabus. I'll try my best to make it to this! It's on my spring break!

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
2 days? Well, who lives in Pasadena that can house people? :C
A housing thread will be up soon just like the last Kings of Cali

I'll be there, with a full set up. Possibly a recording rig.
Great! Recording setups are always awesome

Any word on the schedule yet? I'm trying to work out housing but I need a schedule first.
It'll go from 10:30 AM (line outside begins) - 9 PM for both Saturday and Sunday

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
yeah man, it's funny how contrary some things can be

glad we could reach an understanding dude

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
one request: no hugs/ken commentary

that being said, i loved watching the last kings of cali, so many good matches! props TCB!
hey **** you, just for that Hugs and I are going to commentate grand finals. I'll be sure Hugs does 100% more Mango/**** riding, I'm going to say 1000 more "i dunno mans" and 5000 more "It can go Either ways." Haters gonna hate

anyways, less than a month before this thing why aren't there many posts?

KOC2 Ken vs Scar, Blur make it happen. start your side bets now. Scar might have killed the old Lion King but I don't think he has anything against the King of smash.

I'll be posting more once I'm free, and I'm not so rusty as I was at KOC1 I've played smash at least 7 times since the 1st one. Also I'll do a video of some **** talking for some more #hype!

gogogogo who's coming to this one? I'll be down to play a **** ton of friendlies this time since I probably won't commentate anything besides GF =D =D =D

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
hey **** you, just for that Hugs and I are going to commentate grand finals. I'll be sure Hugs does 100% more Mango/**** riding, I'm going to say 1000 more "i dunno mans" and 5000 more "It can go Either ways." Haters gonna hate

anyways, less than a month before this thing why aren't there many posts?

KOC2 Ken vs Scar, Blur make it happen. start your side bets now. Scar might have killed the old Lion King but I don't think he has anything against the King of smash.

I'll be posting more once I'm free, and I'm not so rusty as I was at KOC1 I've played smash at least 7 times since the 1st one. Also I'll do a video of some **** talking for some more #hype!

gogogogo who's coming to this one? I'll be down to play a **** ton of friendlies this time since I probably won't commentate anything besides GF =D =D =D
yo i'd trade you commentating for more of your godlike sets

WHA?

Smash Ace
I am assuming the catering fee is for the 2 days, if i only attend one day is there an option for that?
right now i am not sure if ill be able to go the 2 days

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Ken's gonna dominate Scar.

That was the most personality I've seen out of Ken since... Ever.

My impression of his pasts posts was always like:

[Manacloud says something dictatorially ridiculous]

[Ken later posts in the same thread with a short, matter-of-fact one-liner: "BoA is amazing.]

For what it's worth, Beat of Azia was amazing. I am tempted to watch some of those old school Knivez/BoA/EdreesesPieces/David "DC" Chavez matches on YouTube to see if I can contextualize the era and fruitlessly compare their skill level to current-era players in the spirit of The Red Queen.

oksas

oak-sauce
ken, man

friendlies?

also i believe arizona will have at least 2 carpools coming out to this

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
also i believe arizona will have at least 2 carpools coming out to this
Niiiice

I am assuming the catering fee is for the 2 days, if i only attend one day is there an option for that?
There isn't an option on the website for that no. If you are sure you cannot attend both days by the registration deadline, then message me and we'll work something out.

channlsrfr

Smash Apprentice
Hey WHA, I don't suppose you were wanting to attend on Sunday, were you? I want to go on only Saturday. Maybe I can register for $25 on behalf of both of us as a single catering entity and you can repay me a high-quality burger someday? (Hedging against inflation here.)

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I'm so hype for this right now. Not to read into Ken's single post too much but he seems to be taking the game far more seriously than last time he was there.

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
So I think I registered, but it might not have gone through. If I register again and get billed twice can you refund me Crimson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom