• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Arlington Presents: *Pound* 3 Feb 2nd/3rd Be there by 11!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eplox88

Smash Journeyman
and THE GERM!

no really that guys and Zels combo videos is what got me into smash, I wanna meet them both

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Is there anybody willing to drive me from Arlington Va? I really want a ride to this...>.<

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I'm trying my hardest to make it to this. It's looking like a go so far, and so I think I am going to need housing.

So mark me down for needing Housing. Preferrably from the legendary HAT.

Renth

Smash Hero
I'm trying my hardest to make it to this. It's looking like a go so far, and so I think I am going to need housing.

So mark me down for needing Housing. Preferrably from the legendary HAT.
It's still up in the air for me, i'm getting a new place soon so i'm REALLY broke. So i'm gonna try my hardest to make this there's a lot of you i want to meet.

Agreed. I'd like housing too.

Yes HAT i will MM you.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
MORE ACTUAL TOURNEY INFO
yea MD/VA pretty much can't house. yea its a shame, we want this tourney to be successful but we all either live with our parents our have roommates, and we can't just open our houses to 5-10 strangers. We all have our own reasons, so id suggest just rooming together in a hotel. We know we suck for not housing, so please stop reiterating and continuing to ask. the peopl who CAN house will let you all know.

I think everyone should realize that this tourney will cost a good bit of money for some people overall. I know everyone wants to save cash, but this is the last tourney before brawl, it's gonna be big and there will be a lot of talent and lots of friendlies. My suggestion is to start SAVING some money so you can have a good cushion to have fun on the trip, rather than trying to cut corners and complaining about housing and entry fees. The Entry fee will not be lowered, no matter how many times people complain, and housing is looking thin. I'd look at a hotel and look for people to room with. Team Arlington once fit 10 people in a hotel for MLG NY. We were there for 2 nights and we all paid around $10-$15 each. It's a viable alternative worth looking at (because chances are you won't get housing). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Yes, it's really ****ing cold in early February in Maryland. Dress accordingly. Aho = Captain Ahab. watch out, whales.
a few people have posted they can house in the past few pages, i suggest you should contact them rather than desperate plees to all on the boards, lol.

honestly, though, it looks like splitting a hotel 4-6 ways is the best option (or more if u dont mind squeezing, lol). that would bring the price to $10-20 per night per person, If you see an event 3-4 months ahead of time and a total of $20-40 for a hotel holds you back, maybe you shouldnt be going at all.

And on another note, i'd suggest waiting until after the tournament to complain about the prices. It's like buying a somewhat pricey computer and complaining about what you get before you even use it. You get what you pay for.

on a final note, we're gonna release a vid in the next few days to get everyone hyped up, be excited :D

kirbstir

Smash Lord
And on another note, i'd suggest waiting until after the tournament to complain about the prices. It's like buying a somewhat pricey computer and complaining about what you get before you even use it. You get what you pay for.
Such things never happen to Mac owners

SLAYERCoLdKiLr

Smash Journeyman
Such things never happen to Mac owners

You're right, Mac owners are quite possibly the smartest consumers ever. I wan't a machine that has to be fixed by Mac personal only and has lower performance and customization for video games. What do you do, actual school work? LOL

kirbstir

Smash Lord
You're right, Mac owners are quite possibly the smartest consumers ever. I wan't a machine that has to be fixed by Mac personal only and has lower performance and customization for video games. What do you do, actual school work? LOL
Not that I'm usually one to feed trolls, but you don't know what you're talking about.

1. Macs have been using standard PC hardware for years now. People only choose to get their machines fixed by "Mac personal [sic]" when they don't know how to do it themselves. I've always installed my own RAM upgrades, I've always fixed my own system errors, I've even repaired the backlight of an LCD in an iBook using a $20 part.

Of course, if you want to talk about the intelligence of a brand of consumers, I only need to point you at incoming freshmen every year who get infected with easily-removable spyware/adware, yet get help from Dell, Gateway, or HP "personal [sic]" who suggest they reformat instead. Yeah, that's waaaay smarter.

2. http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html

"The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year (through 10/25/07) is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware."

3. I'm a programmer, with a bachelors in computer science with undergrad study in human-computer interaction; I choose to run a Mac because my time is worth a lot, and I don't feel like wasting it tweaking a machine I've wasted a couple hours building myself after researching the best parts to buy.

Now, if you're a kid who thinks building your own machine and tweaking every config file of a gentoo or slack build makes you a wiz, then good for you.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I'm in the need of housing as well as a doubles parnter.

PM me if you are interested
that's not how it works buddy. like plank said, people are posting that they need housing. Other people are offering housing. They are not going to go out of their way to offer it to individuals. SO go search the posts, and if you find someone posting about housing, YOU contact THEM.

and macs are the ****. I just wish I could upgrade my graphics card. But still, I got 2GB of ram and a 2.4 GHz core 2 duo. and a 128MB Nvidia8600GT. On my laptop. I'm pretty happy. oh and I can still game. It's called boot camp. I have windows. You have windows. I have OS X. You do not. and I can tell, with the experience I have with windows XP and OS X, OS X has less problems by a factor of 100.

Bot to say OS X doesn't have problems. It's frozen on me occasionally, and I've had random programs quit out on me before. However, the covenience of it all makes it so much better. Not to mention I never get a blue screen or virues on a mac.

kiwiii

Smash Lord
that's not how it works buddy. like plank said, people are posting that they need housing. Other people are offering housing. They are not going to go out of their way to offer it to individuals. SO go search the posts, and if you find someone posting about housing, YOU contact THEM.
he was just putting it out there. he's actually with the norcal group who's been asking about housing/transportation. it's not like he keeps up with the thread, calm down

and yea, what travis said. dayum

Reioumu

Smash Lord
I read a few pages back, and I would have to agree with teh_Spammerer. Not everyone is going to be doing teams AND singles. I have no problem with paying the $60, but I don't think that the people who aren't in teams should have to be punished by losing an extra however much it is for each event separately. I loved *pound* 2, and I'm not going to miss this one, but I really don't think you guys should be so harsh on teh_spammerer for giving out an opinion and an idea for those who AREN'T doing both events. Though I do see plank's point on this. Plus, the prices ARE going up later anyway, so you're still saving money if you buy your entries now. I just think both sides should stop about it. Prices aren't getting changed, and if you're worried about saving money, buy them now. I just personally don't like the fact that they assume you're doing both tournaments.

Cmon guys, the smash community is known for being one of the better gaming communities out there. Why don't we just calm down and try to act more mature? I know I'm not a mod, but pointless bickering is pretty annoying.

Though lol @ Kirbstir and SLAYERCoLdKiLr.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Assuming you're doing both makes things much easier for the tournament organizers. How many people are coming to this thing again?

BTW, anyone who is driving up here, UMD can house. We have some Texans who want to fly in and house here. We can offer them housing but we can't guarantee them a ride. If you need housing, have a car, and can drive some other people, UMD can house you and some Texans can get a ride to UMBC from College Park.

C'mon people. Step it up.

phish-it

Smash Champion
If we were to take a bus here from NY like last time, would it be possible to get rides from the station to the hotel/venue and back? I know it's a hassle, but I don't think we'll be driving.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Important Tournament Related Question:

So the prepaid credit cards only come in like $25, $50, and $80.
They don't have a $60 prepaid card. And I really can't afford the extra 20 due to money problems. And if for some reason I can't go, I really would need my $60 back.
It really will make it to this and coming to this would be a lot easier if we could just pay when we get there.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Not that I'm usually one to feed trolls, but you don't know what you're talking about.
It's not trolling for posting something that disagrees with an opinion posted on a public message board...

Anyway he's mostly right. While the Mac is worth it for some people, for your average consumer it's overpriced and you can make your own PC with minimal effort and price and save $$ and have fine performance for >90% of PC users.

still, a pretty pointless "argument," so i won't derail the thread further =)

chillindude829

Smash Master
Important Tournament Related Question:

They don't have a $60 prepaid card. And I really can't afford the extra 20 due to money problems. And if for some reason I can't go, I really would need my $60 back.
It really will make it to this and coming to this would be a lot easier if we could just pay when we get there.
I'll answer how Plank would:

****, that sucks for you. Maybe wait till January 20 when the fee is upped to $70 so you only waste $10? :)

But seriously I don't know why people have such a huge problem with pound3's registration when other successful tourneys such as FC, SCC and pound2 did things similarly. Just suck it up and figure out a way to deal with it.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
It's not trolling for posting something that disagrees with an opinion posted on a public message board...

Anyway he's mostly right. While the Mac is worth it for some people, for your average consumer it's overpriced and you can make your own PC with minimal effort and price and save $$ and have fine performance for >90% of PC users.

still, a pretty pointless "argument," so i won't derail the thread further =)
Do you even know what trolling means? I don't think you do.

And the "average consumer" will not be building their own machine.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
lol @ mr. condescending. you'll go places with that.

no, i don't think you know what trolling means etc. etc.

the "average consumer" can easily be linked to newegg or tiger direct to buy a way cheaper yet fine PC compared to a mac

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
There's a reason dell alienware, etc. are all profitible companies.

The "average consumer" buys from THEM. THey don't go to newegg, and even if they did they don't know how to put the comp together.

Also it's much harder to do that for a laptop.

Anyways for a laptop from dell vs. a laptop from mac, i'll take the mac because of OS X. Windows sucks enormous amounts of ****. Even my PC using friends agree. and since i can dual boot my mac, if i want to PC game i can, and the rest of the time i don't have to deal with windows' ****.

Fonz

Smash Ace
That extra 20 dollars won't be going anywhere if you don't spend it right away. It still counts as money that you can spend anywhere, anytime. You plan on buying some food while you're down here for the tournament? Bam! 20 dollar prepaid credit card to the rescue!

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Okay, let's start from the beginning.

1. His post was intended to bait me into an argument. That qualifies it as a"troll post."

2. Are you seriously calling me "Mr. Condescending"? Have you read your own posts in this very thread that occurred between you and Kiwi? With posts like this?

Running out of **** to say? I ***** everything you said and you responded with "your points are dumb," that's some high-brow commentary for me to respond to, right? wow stop breathing
Insolence tires me. Dude, seriously, stop sucking at English. This will be the first and last time I do your work for you, next times I'm just going to belittle you and be my usual condescending and patronizing self.
Really? Insolence tires you?

3. His points that you agreed with aren't the ones you are actually arguing. His post states that Macs have "to be fixed by Mac personal only and has lower performance and customization for video games." I already pointed out my reasonings against these points in my own reply, which I don't think you have even read.

Meanwhile, you claim to agree with his post, yet completely change topics to the discussion on whether or not a Mac is overpriced for the average consumer, without actually addressing why you agree with his post. Yet his point was about the Mac consumer being stupid, not the average consumer being smart. The most arguing I've done on the "average consumer" was pointing out that you seem to think the average consumer will be happy building their own machine, which is silly.

4. Addressing your point: I've already pointed out that my time is worth a lot more than some kid who has the time to spend hours or days researching the best parts to buy, waiting for the parts to arrive, and then the hour or two assembling, followed by the hour or so of software tweaking (day or so if I'm a linux nerd). If I merely work during the hours I'd spend in that activity I'd have made up the difference of the Mac, if not exceeded it.

Meanwhile, I agree that the "average consumer" can have "fine performance" from a $200 machine from newegg. But who said I ever disagreed with that?

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I'm considering using my extra $20 on one of those gift cards to donate for Kirbstir so he can use the custom title "Mac Daddy"

Seriously though Fonz, that 20 extra dollar thing was really bothering me and now you've given me ideas. Thanks.

As for Mac vs PC - This is allowed, but not money match requests?

kirbstir

Smash Lord
I'll point out that I'm in TA =P

But yeah, my bad. NeighborhoodP, since you like to argue for the sake of arguing (since that's what the internet is for, according to you), please give me your responses in PM, and I'll do the same.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
theres a mm thread. go there.

Laijin - No

Phist-IT - If nothing else, they greyhound station drops u off 4 miles from the hotel and then UMBC is about 4 more miles from the hotel. It's all in the heart of Baltimore so public trans (busses/taxi) are available if all else fails

chinesahh

Smash Lord
neighborhood p : You just got destroyed. Stop posting. You are annoying. Don't **** with TA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom