• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Arlington Presents: *Pound* 3 Feb 2nd/3rd Be there by 11!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
SINGLES POOLS ROUND 1
http://pound3.teamarlington.net/?page_id=29

That's right folks, *pound* returns with the third installment of an utterly amazing tournament.

PREVIEW VID HERE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDsZz1wC0gg
AIRPORT/TRAVELLING INFO

TRAVEL INFO

Airport to Quality Inn

At BWI there will be a shuttle bus that will take you to the light rail station, this bus will be free of charge. Take the light rail to the convention center (Downtown).
From there you will take the Number 16 bus route towards Mondawmin which will lead you directly to the hotel.

Quality Inn to UMBC

Take the directions I listed above and reverse them. Get on the Number 16 Bus going the opposite way to which you came, and head back to the light rail station. From the light rail station take the light rail to Downtown Baltimore (The Convention Center). From there, there will be a bus that takes you directly up to UMBC.

BWI Airport to UMBC

Take the shuttle bus to the light rail station. From the light rail station head Downtown (Convention Center) and then once there take the bus that says "UMBC" on it, it should also be bus #35.

BWI Airport to HAT's house

Take the shuttle bus to the light rail station. Once you are there take the light rail to Downtown (Convention Center). Take the Number 10 bus route which is towards RT.40/Rolling road. This will take you to HAT's house. (Catonsville, MD, a store named PIANO MAN. Watch out for it).

Bus routes are generally ~$1.50 one way or $3.50 for a full day pass.

From the light rail station, take the light rail to the Patapsco stop. Light rail trips should be ~$1.60

The shuttles from the airport to light rail station should be free.

At the light rail station there should be a schedule posted on the wall for light rail times.

Busses generally come twice per hour, sometimes more, sometimes a bit less. The standard is at the :15 and :45 points of an hour (3:15, 3:45, etc etc).

ohnbuilder - #10 (Hat's house/Piano Man)/#35 (UMBC) bus direction from the lightrail:

The lightrail stop you want is "Camden Yards". You'll know you're at your stop when you see some stadium looking ****. It's right across from the Baltimore Convention Center, which is what the signs at the lightrail stop will say as well.

When you exit the lightrail, look across the street and you'll see some fruity looking restaurant with chairs and parasols outside of it. On the other side of the street is a Days Inn, the side you wants is the fruity side. Cross over to the eatery and keep walking STRAIGHT ahead. Continue walking until you see a Firehouse. It's not a very long walk until you see this.

Cross over to the Firehouse. When you're at the Firehouse, I mean actually standing in front of it, look to your LEFT and then walk in that direction, and cross the street. There is a bus stop right there, on that line runs the #10 (HAT) and #35 (UMBC). The #35 bus (it will say UMBC on the front), actually stops at UMBC, so you can't miss it. As in, that's it final stop before it turns around. From this stop, you cross over to the left hand side of the street, then you walk straight ahead. Up the long hill, don't stop until you see a black sign that says Commons. The building is like in plain site from the top of that hill, its side is mostly glass and clear.

For the #10 bus, you'll want the Rt. 40/Rolling Road edition. That's what it will say on the front window. This bus stops right near the Piano Man, right by a Day Spa for the colored folk. You can't miss the Piano Man, because there's a sign stating that it is the Piano Man above the building.

Also, there have been no reservations at the hotel yet. If there is no interest shown soon the deal might be cancelled, so people need to get on it if you actually want it. eek.

IMPORTANT HOTEL INFO

Name: Quality Inn Baltimore
Address: 1401 Bloomfield Avenue, Baltimore, MD
Phone: 1-410-646-1700

Mention the Super Smash Brothers Melee tournament to get the discount rate of $68 per night (before tax)

CHECKIN: If you give them a credit card number, you can check in at any point when you arrive on friday night. If you say you are going to pay with cash, you have to be there by 6 PM friday, or the room will be un-reserved.

*Pound* 3
February 2nd-3rd, 2008!

First and foremost, DO NOT spam this thread. ALL registration is going to be done online, and a lot of preparation and actual information is going to be needed to be disclosed to me in this thread. Following is a list of the main reasons you should be posting.

1. Request for housing. Leave a number of people, where you're coming from, and how you're getting here.
  2. If you are able to house people. Write how many you can house and how far away you live from UMBC
  3. Let me know if you are bringing a setup/how many you are bringing.
  4. If you have any problems with registrations
  5. If you need your teammate or information modified
  6. If you have any other tournament questions for me or another director.

Table of Contents

A. Venue
B. Setups
C. Registration
D. Housing and Airline Info
E. Events
F. The Pot
G. General Rules
H. Schedule

A.

Venue:

University of Maryland Baltimore County university center ballroom
1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD

The venue's capacity is 450 people, so i don't think we have to worry about that. I'm shooting for AT LEAST 64 tv's so step it up people. *Pound* 2 had about 55, if i recall correctly.

B.

IMPORTANT: SETUPS
As people tell me that they can bring setups, I will add a list here to keep track of how many we will have
1.) sensei
2.) plank
3.) hey_its_yo
4.) hey_its_yo
5.) CashMooney
6.) frozen
7.) Isra
8.) UMBC SS
9.) masa
10.) chinesahh
11.) chinesahh
12.) EEvisu
13.) Chred2akrisp
14.) HAT
15.) HAT
16.) Chibo
17.) Gotm
18.) G-reg
19.) Tope
20.) Tope
21.) KM
22.) Kaiser
23.) Rei
24.) Aho
25.) Aho
26.) Vist
27.) Plank
28.) Swiftbass

REGISTRATION

C.

Registration will all be done ONLINE through the official *Pound* 3 website.

**IMPORTANT**
When you register on the website you MUST use the same E-mail when you register your Smash alias as when you pay with your credit card. If you don't do this, you won't be entered into the tournament. The email address will actually automatically set for you in paypal, just dont change it.

If you are buying more than one pass, make sure you add all the information for your extra passes in the big box where you can enter information. If not, we'll harrass you until you give it to us, or we'll just keep your money and your friends wont enter the tournament. Your choice :p

Registration will be $60. This includes entry to all tournaments, the venue fee, and food. Meals will be provided for both days. :) There are 3 different editions. Theyre all the same.

i along the rest of TA have decided that on December 20th registration will be upped to $65, and on January 20th it will be upped to $70. this is to ensure that the workload on the tournament hosts is spread out and everything wont have to be done at once.

all extra money will go back into the pot and will be used to pay out more places. so if you want to save money, register earlier.

thats all =)

The roster will be updated daily on the website.

DONT HAVE A CREDIT CARD? USE A VISA GIFT CARD! http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/giftcard/jsp/index.jsp?origin=personal

REGISTRATION WILL END JANUARY 26TH AT MIDNIGHT

D.

HOUSING!

Upon registration you have an option on whether or not you need or can provide housing, I'll be looking at these and will compile lists as you register and help everybody find something.

HAT can house a ton of people, so I would suggest contacting him if you're good/need housing. JK@being good, but not really. He's a ****.

Airline Information

UMBC is only about a ten minute drive from BWI airport. Public transportation also goes back and forth, which is awesome.
Reagan airport is about an hour away. If you can find cheaper tickets to there and someone to transport you, more power to you.

E.

EVENTS:

Because of time restraints on having a large scale tournament and to make sure singles and doubles both run as efficiently as possible, the events are going to be Singles, Doubles, and REGIONAL crews. I know this doesn't make everyone happy, but with the amount of TV's we will have there will be an abundance of friendlies during that time.

Each region needs to decide on their captain and let me know. If theres too much arguing have a vote, i dont care, just lemme know.

Regions:
EC: PA up
EC: MD/VA
South: TX/LA/FL/GA/NC/SC etc
MW
WC AZ/CA/WA etc
International (if enough people)

Regional crews rules

10 players per region
40 stock
stadium, fd, dreamland=randoms
yoshis/battlefield/FOD=counterpicks
if you pick a specific level, the opponent has the opportunity to switch chars. otherwise each crew will have everyone write down predetermined characters and who goes first.
The first stage is random or agreed on.

all crews will play each other in a round robin. best record of wins and losses win. If two crews die, aka go 4-1 or something, whoever won the head to head wins. If somehow the head to heads off set in a 3 way tie, winner will be determined by # of stock.

F.

THE POT:

Will vary depending on the amount of people. I like to pay out a lot of people, so look forward to that.

G.

General Rules:

•4 stock
•2/3 sets
•3/5 finals
•8 minute time limit
•Items off
•Ties broken by lives, then %
•First stage agreed upon or random
•Dave’s Stupid Rule (DSR): No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage.
•Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime.
•Stage Knock Out: Each person may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set, it must be chosen at the beginning of the set, after initial characters are chosen.
•Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random. The winner may then change their character, followed by the loser.
•Bring your own controller
•Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
•Team Attack will be ON
•Life stealing allowed

Wobbling is banned.

The Mages DQ Rule is applicable when a player is late for a match and it goes as follows:
2 Minutes Late – Warning
4 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late – Loss of set
(i <3 the mages rule)

- Singles Stages on random – Final Destination, Dream Land 64, Fountain of Dreams, Battlefield, Yoshi’s Story And Pokemon Stadium.
- Singles Stages Banned - Hyrule Temple, Yoshi 64, Fourside, Icicle Mountain, Flatzone, Venom, Brinstar Depths, Big Blue, Great Bay, onnett Princess Peach's Castle, Great bay, Yoshi's island (pipes), Mushroom Kingdom 1/2

All other levels open for counterpicks.

H.

Schedule!:

Since all registration and EVERYTHING will be done online, the tournament will actually be able to start on time. I can't afford to wait for people, so DQ's will happen if you're not on time.
The venue is open from 10 AM to 10 PM both Saturday and Sunday. I plan to start everything at 10:30 AM each day, so be ready.

**I'll update with an actual schedule a bit later**

That's all for now. Have fun. Try not to register til you know most your information, but I can edit that later.

My PM box is empty, if you have important questions, let me know there.

awsome job plank, thanks so much for doing this. Im going to promote the **** outta this tourney to make it the last and biggest tourney ever

dunno if COK wants to stay in a hotel or not, so im gonna request housing. Estimating 4-6 people as of now

You ever think about advertising locally at your college or anything? If we have the right connections we can even get advertised in nintendo power or something, im sure they can do something

Also, since this will be the last tourney before brawl comes out.....I WANT ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN TO A SMASH TOURNEY IN THE PAST TO COME TO THIS!!!!!

everyone do your part to get all your friends that have stop playing or stopped going to tournies to come back for one last hurrah.

I THINK ALL GRUDGES SHOULD BE SETTLED HERE!

east coast vs west coast

best *insert various character* matches

epic $100 money matches

Anything!

I really would like to see this tourney push that 450 mark

again these are just suggestions but i am realllllllllllyyyyyy pumped for this
IMPORTANT POST

PRIZEWINNERS:

Due to complications with (in order to avoid being ***** by) the IRS, winners will be paid out via PAYPAL. It's a complicated story as to why we have to do this, but rather than everyone losing 50% of their winnings to taxes this is by far the best option. (Plus we don't have to worry about people stealing cash) From paypal you can wire directly the money to your bank account.

SETUPS:

WE NEED MORE SETUPS. Please post if youre bringing a full setup, full setups grant you $10. I'm going to purchase a cart to help take tvs from cars to the venue. =)

EVEN IF YOU CAN'T BRING A FULL SETUP, PLEASE JUST BRING YOUR CUBE IN A CARRY ON OR SOMETHING. The LAST thing I want is to have way too many TVS and not enough cubes :/

Registration will go up at MIDNIGHT on January 20th, AKA SATURDAY NIGHT AT MIDNIGHT when the clock hits the 20th. (unless im stuck at work til after midnight, in which case ur lucky :p)

THE VENUE

Here is an interractive campus map, PLEASE look into it, as i will not have time to help direct everyone to the venue. The venue is in the UNIVERSITY CENTER
http://www.umbc.edu/aboutumbc/campusmap/map_flash.html

As you can see for those driving, lot 16 and lot 9 are the best lots to park in.

thats all for now i think, more updates later

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
I will be attending this.No doubt.

Philly Fresh I need some info liek now plz.

Also,Plank how big is the venue this time?

edit:Mark me down as bringing one setup.

Plank thats huge!

Cort

Apple Head
Hooray for registering already.

The regions look fairly interesting. I can't really complain. *pats M2K*

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
good questions, thx for not much spam

@cash mooney the venue is 3x the floor space of pound 2, approximately.

@DOH, TX=south, AZ=WC

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
=\

boo

WC = CA/AZ/WA? =\

I don't particularly want to be South captain again (Florida hate makes me cry) but if no one else volunteers I guess I could do it if I had to.

And Kentucky is "technically" Midwest, right?

Laijin

Smash Hero
Also.
I don't like buying/paying for stuff online.
I never did.
And I really don't wanna start now.
I don't own a credit card either.
Or any kind of card.

So would it be possible to register for the tournament and pay when I get there?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Also.
I don't like buying/paying for stuff online.
I never did.
And I really don't wanna start now.
I don't own a credit card either.
Or any kind of card.

So would it be possible to register for the tournament and pay when I get there?
no, you should get a visa gift card then.

ill put that in the first post.

visa gift cards u pay with cash and its like a 1 time use credit card=mad handy

@doh, what is AZ USUALLY considered? i am on the fence for which one, it really depends but AZ plays with WC more it seems, ya know?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I don't know what it's usually considered, but recently Taj/Forward/Wobbles have been to sizeable California tournaments more than the Texas ones (mainly because we haven't had one that would attract them). However, we also share Wobbles, who began his Smash career as Prevenge here in Dallas and eventually moved to AZ for school, but he came back and made quite an impact on the smash scene here for all of last semester.

For regional crews, Arizona has played for the South once, at FC3. It has never played for any other region; they didn't go to FC6 and because of the strong ties they had had to California they wished to play with them for FCD; however once they realized that California wasn't coming to FCD, forward lobbied to rejoin the South, since his connections to Texas far outweigh his connections to Washington, plus he had been to several large Southern tournaments like INNsomnia, and had just spent some time in Florida getting to know their scene. However, Prime (in what I'm still viewing a politically motivated decision - sorry Tim) vetoed that option and forced AZ to crew with WC or nothing at all, and forward and Taj chose the latter, citing that forward had made his choice and that decision is final.

However, I always felt that our conceptualization of regions as a bit silly, and they should be redrawn; with you already separating the deadly combo of MD/VA and NE, might I suggest we redraw the regional lines to something more official, such as what the US government uses for its census regional divisions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Census_Regions_and_Divisions.PNG

Laijin

Smash Hero
But what if I find out like a week before or a couple of days before that I can't go?
Then I just pretty much gave you guys $60.

If we could pay in person, i'm sure that would fix that problem.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
there are no refunds, dont register until you're sure you can go, that's written on the registration part and in the "terms of agreement"

doh, that's basically how i feel it should be except since the tournament is IN MD/VA, theres such a dense populus of smashers that it really wouldnt even be fair to be clumped into part of the largest region.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
What about splitting up Maryland and VA? Putting Maryland up with the northern team? That would even things out participation-wise and create a more intense rivalry

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
What about splitting up Maryland and VA? Putting Maryland up with the northern team? That would even things out participation-wise and create a more intense rivalry
ill discuss that, but that would be crazy. we're such a tight knit group its hard to try to seperate us, (we ALL go to tournaments in BOTH states, its like 40 minutes away. half the time i forgot whos md and whos va) The regionals arent set in stone yet, we'll discuss it and figure official things out within the next few weeks

eplox - 450

so basically, no.

Cort

Apple Head
Wait, are you kidding?

The North is already going to win, really easily right now. That is if like, the majority of our best players go.

/starts the ball rolling

edit// dual 69 post

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Yeah, it's crazy, but it's just an idea.

I just am very wary about forming a Southern crew at all, due to a lack of representation would render it almost pointless if not impossible to even form a crew.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i understand your concern doh, thats why i want to get more of an idea of the turnout from each region before i confirm for sure what states play for each region. we'll make it work :)

Tink

Smash Hero
chudattttt.....can i get housing?!?!?!? XD

i should be driving with either 4 or 5 people.
plan to prolly get there sometime friday night. leaving sunday mourning prolly.
need housing.

also, regional crews huh <_<....time for MW to lose by only 10 stock this time!!!!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Hey I am from EC Canada (Montreal).. Will it be possible for me to join an EC group for the regional?

I will also probably need housing and a teamate, Chesterr01 will probably talk to one of the guys in Team Arlington. =P

OTRU...

Smash Champion
plank i mentioned this on the other thread, but since u were asking on the first post who needs housing i guess ill post it again:
its 5 of us flying from Orlando, Florida
1. QDVS
2. SheerMadness
3. ColBol
4. Skrach
5. OTRU

we would really appreciate it if you could help us out with the housing situation... thnx bro

ohh and are you planning on making a list for attendance? it would be nice to know whos going to this

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
A whole bunch of CT is going to be going to this. :D I'm sorry for the spam, I just want to subscribe to this thread. >_<

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
plank i mentioned this on the other thread, but since u were asking on the first post who needs housing i guess ill post it again:
its 5 of us flying from Orlando, Florida
1. QDVS
2. SheerMadness
3. ColBol
4. Skrach
5. OTRU

we would really appreciate it if you could help us out with the housing situation... thnx bro

ohh and are you planning on making a list for attendance? it would be nice to know whos going to this
divo, probably not, canada will probably be grouped together, lol. sheer sounds good, and yes there will be a housing list/roster on the official website where u register.

Frozen

Smash Lord
Plairnkk, i'll be bringing a full set up...and i'm going to see about housing some gentleman from NC

See everyone there = )

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
If we have space to bring it, I should be coming with a setup. Can't wait to see everyone there!

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i advise everyone to not just wait to the last minute and register then, cuz the website is good but that kind traffic might not do well for it, i dont know. im not accountable if u dont get ur pass cuz u waited til the very last day.

just throwing that out there

i dont care eggz, maybe in atlantic north?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom