• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teabagging: Do You Find it Offensive?

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
Every so often I come across players who feel the urge to teabag after they kill me or accidentally kill myself. One time an opponent found it fun to teabag every moment I was not close enough to attack him. If they do it I usually do it back at them to rub their confidence in their faces (which sounds creepy o_o). I don't ever do it if they didn't start it first.

It probably has something to do with For Glory, since I haven't ever seen people do it in For Fun. Being teabagged doesn't make me feel "glorious" when I compete in it.

Do you get offended by it? Do you do it back at them?

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
It's basically a taunt that unpunishable. I do it all the time and I never notice it anymore. I think that if you find it offensive, then you are too upset over what happened. It's nothing to be butthurt about anyways.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Teabagging is just weird imo. I guess it's offensive based on what it's implying, but I find that concept disgusting. It's not something I do, I prefer taunting. But I taunt anybody when I take a stock off them as a force of habit from the N64 days, I don't mean any insult by it. I just like seeing the character taunts. As for Captain Falcon, I must have any Captain Falcon player spam "Show ya moves!" taunt at me. It's the one taunt I absolutely love hearing.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
It's basically a taunt that unpunishable. I do it all the time and I never notice it anymore. I think that if you find it offensive, then you are too upset over what happened. It's nothing to be butthurt about anyways.
I don't get offended by it unless I do something dumb like I accidentally killed myself and they become proud for doing nothing.

PartyHat

Smash Rookie
I never took it as teabagging. Sometimes I think players use it to say hello at the beginning of a match because it's more safe then taunting.

The most offensive thing for me is if someone taunts at the beginning to say Hello, I taunt back in respond and that f***** attacks me in process.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
I never took it as teabagging. Sometimes I think players use it to say hello at the beginning of a match because it's more safe then taunting.

The most offensive thing for me is if someone taunts at the beginning to say Hello, I taunt back in respond and that f***** attacks me in process.
Maybe that was his strategy and you fell for it, heh.

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
lol no not at all. Since you have limited taunts, you need to do something else. Besides it's also a form of communication or acknowledgment since like forever in Smash. It's not a real tea bag anyway like in other games because there's no dead bodies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I've always taken it to represent bowing because I'm naive and innocent like that.

It's also a point of behaviour of mine that I never strike an opponent that's taunting, unless I happen to know the person well and am not taking the match too seriously.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I've never seen someone teabag with the apparent intention of taunting me. When they crouch over and over again they usually want something from me, not to make me to feel silly. Like if the game is lagging badly we'll both stand there/crouch excessively/attack nothing to wait it out.

It is contextually dependent from my experience. I can tell what they mean without a doubt depending on when it happens or what precedes it.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I like crouching repeatedly. It's so pointless and yet conveys so much. I often do it when my opponent suicides and I SD as well to be a good sport. And sometimes just for funsies.

My friend laughs whenever I do it.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
The CPU does it, why can't I?

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
How could you get mad at Jigglypuff squishing up and down like that

the sound effects are adorable

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I find it very offensive. I also find video games, unbiased news, and the harsh light of the sun offensive as well.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Are you kidding me? People actually refer this is "teabagging"?

That's not what it is, it's crouching. From my Brawl experience, it was the only form of communication online. One player would spam crouch in an attempt to say they're harmless, want to team up or taunt party. Like PartyHat said, it's essentially a greeting. You should take offense to it. I don't usually do it on For Glory, unless I find someone else who does it, and I catch on, I do some crouches too and then I use an aerial or any attack really, to signal that we should keep fighting. It ensures I know the player is friendly for sure.

And if I see someone SD, I actually hold crouch for a bit at the ledge, not out of disrespect, but because I know it was an accident. That doesn't mean I'll SD my stock, it depends on the percentage. If he SD's at 0%, I'll definitely SD a stock to make it even, but if we're say, above 80%, and he SD's, that would essentially be resetting the percentage. I don't like doing that.

Don't take it offensively, really, it's not meant to be.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Are you kidding me? People actually refer this is "teabagging"?
It is similar though one must consider why "teabagging" is called what it is and why it isn't really applicable to how it's used in smash.

...Unless you're playing stamina mode :^)

D

Deleted member

Nope. Maybe it's because I always taunt (even in serious matches), but I never have and never will find teabagging offensive.

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
i love doing this its basically saying "hi!" I also attack players who do it back as part of mindgames :joyful:

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
It all depends on how you view it. I teabag people on For Glory when they are too easy. Yes, it's meant to be offensive, and yes it's to humiliate them and put them in an uncontrollable rage.

Either they have a fit and leave, meaning they in no way attempted to actually get any better, weeding out those types of players, or they keep on regardless as a way to "show me their moves" and become better players as a result. I've actually gone from "Two Stock Tea Baggin' " to almost at my level just within the same five or six matches. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Every once in awhile, I'll get someone who teabags back, despite getting bopped, which irks me, because he basically did what the OP said and "rub their confidence in their faces" which is about right.

Honestly, I do it for fun in order to tease my opponent. I would never pull that stunt in person or even a friend online. I just do this from time to time to random individuals.

#Tb@g4lyfe

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Honestly, I find myself wondering how anyone could interpret repeated crouching as teabagging in a game with no corpses to teabag outside of Stamina Mode. I just like crouching with Pikachu for the boingy sound effects.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Meh I'm impartial to it, as it isn't necessarily a big deal as compared to taunting. I even do it from time to time just as habit, not intentionally to taunt someone.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Meh, it's not all that offensive to me. Just taunting me after I lose to stock due to the opponent's lag irritates me though. Really? Using an outside source that I can't control to jest? Shows how bad someone can be.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I hate getting T-Bagged. If I am in a good mood I T-Bag back and proceed to destroy them (or at least try to),but when I am a bad mood I just SD on purpose and leave because I don't want to feel like an even worse player then I would feel at the time. I think I am a fairly good player,but when I keep losing a lot I can lose confidence and just quit play against them.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Do I find it offensive? No. Annoying? Yes.

But K.Oing them just becomes more satisfying. :smirk:

RelaxedUnicorn

Smash Rookie
It all depends on how you view it. I teabag people on For Glory when they are too easy. Yes, it's meant to be offensive, and yes it's to humiliate them and put them in an uncontrollable rage.

Either they have a fit and leave, meaning they in no way attempted to actually get any better, weeding out those types of players, or they keep on regardless as a way to "show me their moves" and become better players as a result. I've actually gone from "Two Stock Tea Baggin' " to almost at my level just within the same five or six matches. Sounds like a win/win to me.

I accidentally deleted part of your text, but I couldn't disagree more, or hate you more. People who teabag to pissed people off are worse than the people who leave because they're mad. Why would you want people to be salt all the time, rather than just play the game better than them. Also, some people don't get better as soon as you said so each time your literally just making them angrier and angrier. I literally want throw my controller every time someone does it to me because I am literally just trying to get better, and when people rub it in my face that I'm not good it's the worst feeling ever. No, teabagging is offensive and isn't okay, especially if you are saying that people getting salty is bad, then don't teabag.

Last edited:
Top Bottom