• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Target Test Stages

D

Deleted member

If Target Test would be confirmed to be returning, would you like the Brawl TGT or the Melee TGT? If you chose the Melee version, what cool designs could you think of for some of the Brawl forward newcomers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillion

Smash Hero
At the point the roster is now, I don't think unique TGT is even feasible at this point. Yes, it's a cool idea, but having to make handcrafted stages for all the characters would be too much now.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I definitely would prefer melee's approach. It would be really hard to have unique stages for everyone, but man would that be great. I feel like it's a possibility cause of how crazy Sakurai is going with this game, but it may be a tall order.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I would love to see it return, but keep in mind, everything still hasn’t been revealed yet.

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
Melee’s approach. It promotes being skilled with the individual character and learning the benefits of them more in depth. It can also promote the character’s game by using scenery from their origins and placing references in the stage. I think it’s better than just five Target Test stages for the entire game.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Custom stages would be best, but logistically that could be a nightmare. On the other hand, if you do universal, then Little Mac needs to be able to beat all of them.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’ll take Brawl’s Target Test over anything. With over 60 characters, there’s no way unique Melee/64 styles stages are coming back.

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
Would want mellee would settle for brawl. As a possible better answer crowd source the work by adding break the targets option to the stage builder have it be like Mario maker can't post it unless you can beat it.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Would want mellee would settle for brawl. As a possible better answer crowd source the work by adding break the targets option to the stage builder have it be like Mario maker can't post it unless you can beat it.
And perhaps if a custom Target Test stage is beaten with a given character, it can only be posted as playable by that character — and beating it with multiple characters allows it to be played with all of those characters. This would admittedly make it very tedious to post an all-characters Target Test stage, but it would prevent people from putting up anything that makes a character with terrible mobility (such as Little Mac) cry while allowing him to fruitlessly attempt to clear it.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
At this point I want Sakurai to give us a target test builder that lets us build different target tests for each character. As for default, if you don't build or download any, just give us about 5 or so generic target tests that can be beat by anyone.

D

Deleted member

As much as I want the Melee TGT, its not going to happen. There are too many characters, and it would probably be to much for the developers. Oh well. I dont like Brawl TGT. But tbh, it would be better than no target test I guess...

Last edited by a moderator:

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Considering the character count, I'd be fine with 5-10 difficulties of it for all characters together. A Break the Targets Creator would be awesome and I wouldn't mind seeing the same 5-10 for BtP and RttF too

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I once read an idea for a Break the Targets that would be similar to Melee's, but instead of being per-character, it would be per-series.
Yup. Dunno if you read that from me, but I suggested that... somewhere. Don't remember where. Doing it per series would make it a lot easier to manage. They can also bundle up some one-character series in with others, like Captain Falcon with either Star Fox or Metroid, and Olimar with maybe Kirby (although given the Kirby reps all having multiple jumps, maybe Olimar fits better elsewhere). I think this would be the absolute best way to go about this.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Melee had personalized stages for each character. Brawl's approach was okay but Melee's was better. With the huge character list I wouldn't be surprised to see something akin to Brawl again.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I miss unique target stages, but I don't think it's ever coming back.
It's not impossible though, just don't be lazy and add one for each characters.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I don't buy that Target Test stages for each character is impossible or even difficult. You can design these on graph paper on your freaking lunch break. Entire Super Mario Bros. games had been designed that way. And have you seen the target test stages in 64 and Melee? You could not convince me that all or even most of them take into full account the abilities of that character beyond their unique jump height and projectile range. Heck, Melee had a whopping one stage that incorporated wall jumps. In fact, Link and Young Link consistently have the best designs. But otherwise most stages are just slap dash level designs built with unused textures and models that you could often complete with any character.

I don't have any reason to expect BTT to return. There's a chest icon indicating some kind of bonus stage before the boss stage in Classic mode, but that could be anything new rather than something old. They've also got a clear focus on delivering all the beloved content previous Smash games from characters to stages, but nobody could say whether bonus stages make that list. Currently, Break the Targets is number 2 on my list of most wanted modes so of course I want it in.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't buy that Target Test stages for each character is impossible or even difficult. You can design these on graph paper on your freaking lunch break. Entire Super Mario Bros. games had been designed that way. And have you seen the target test stages in 64 and Melee? You could not convince me that all or even most of them take into full account the abilities of that character beyond their unique jump height and projectile range. Heck, Melee had a whopping one stage that incorporated wall jumps. In fact, Link and Young Link consistently have the best designs. But otherwise most stages are just slap dash level designs built with unused textures and models that you could often complete with any character.

I don't have any reason to expect BTT to return. There's a chest icon indicating some kind of bonus stage before the boss stage in Classic mode, but that could be anything new rather than something old. They've also got a clear focus on delivering all the beloved content previous Smash games from characters to stages, but nobody could say whether bonus stages make that list. Currently, Break the Targets is number 2 on my list of most wanted modes so of course I want it in.
Young Link's was probably my least favorite because of the walljumps. I couldn't do them well as a child.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as how the roster is so huge, I doubt we're getting the Melee option. I'd much more prefer it but It probably won't happen.
That said I don't mind Brawls. It's MUCH better than 3DS and Wii U's version of it THATS FOR SURE.
Now if they allowed us to download specific Target Test stages for certain characters made by other people that'd be cool.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My big issue with Brawl's was how boring they looked. Melee and 64 had unique stages that were tailored to each character, yeah, but they also looked colorful and had nice music. Brawl's were just zoomed out with the weird plains background and weren't fun at all for me. I'd say that was just a Brawl Thing (tm) but I really enjoyed Subspace's level themes generally speaking so I'm not sure.

I hope it's back. I'm not gonna hope for individualized one's or even custom ones but some colorful generic stages at least would be fun.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Why not let the fanbase create target test stages? Players can get creative with how they're designed. This can give reference value to a stage, or create a true test of a character's skill. Here's how I would think it would work.

The stage creator picks a character for the stage to be dedicated to, or they allow people to use anyone. The stage design starts out with a spawn point with a predetermined location, a spawn platform right underneath, and a small area above it that can't be tampered with. They design the terrain around the starting platform, and pick where the targets go. Once the stage is completed, they can upload it for all to see.

With time, there will be Target Test stages that really push all the character's limits beyond the one stage per character proposal. I feel like it can really present a challenge for even the really good players.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Unique target tests would be great because they help you learn neat tricks and movement techniques for each character.
That being said, I think they're unfeasible at this point. Thats a LOT of target tests that would need to be made.

As long as they get rid of the dumb angry birds target thing Smash 4 had I'll be happy.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I highly doubt character specific Break the Target stages will return. If they went by the series instead, they could make 26 Break the Target stages, which could work.

Arthur97

Smash Master
For the Brawl method, how exactly do you suggest making them beatable with Little Mac? To make it where he could do them might make them far too easy for most of the cast.

Khao

Smash Lord
To be honest, the "Series specific" break the targets idea is the worst of both worlds. You don't get challenges specifically tailored to each character's capabilities, and you don't get the ability to use any character you want for each stage. The only advantage would be aesthetics, which is honestly by far the most irrelevant and unappealing feature of the mode if you ask me.

I still think that character specific challenges are possible, if they are part of the project time from the start and don't use unique graphics for each character. But I'd seriously rather get Brawl's generic levels than series-specific challenges. Mechanically speaking, a series-specific break the targets would still have to be inherently designed to be playable by any character (at least within each series, which often have wildly different characters) but they'd just needlessly limit the characters you could choose. At that point I'd rather just have the ability to use any character.

I fully approve of the online Target Test creator though. And I feel like if they wanted to do something like that, they could easily extend such a mode to cover more than just Target Tests. Like Board the Platforms, Race to the Finish, or even mixing all three. If they did it and went all out with the damn thing, we could even have custom event matches, but that's kind of a crazy dream scenario, haha.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I fully approve of the online Target Test creator though. And I feel like if they wanted to do something like that, they could easily extend such a mode to cover more than just Target Tests. Like Board the Platforms, Race to the Finish, or even mixing all three. If they did it and went all out with the damn thing, we could even have custom event matches, but that's kind of a crazy dream scenario, haha.
This would be amazing. The tests could reach even harder difficulty. People can make a Mario Maker like album of character skill tests or even just references to the main franchises. Mario 1-1 as a Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, and Race to the Finish combination would be an amazing thing to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom