• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tapu Koko Stands on Guard! - Melemele's Guardian for Smash!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

Because you didn't realize until now that you want to defeat the likes of Ridley with Pokemon's equivalent of a rooster (and Torchic doesn't count!).
What's a Tapu Koko?

Tapu Koko is one of the legendary Pokemon introduced in Sun and Moon as the guardian of Melemele Island, which is the first island visited in the game and is home to the player. Sun and Moon are unique for Pokemon games as they are heavily reliant on a narrative that is pushed by legendaries. This mainly includes Cosmog's family, owned by Lillie, but also Tapu Koko, who takes on a guardian role of the player basically from the beginning of the game. Your player saves Nebby from a flock of Spearow, only to fall off a breaking bridge and into a raging river. Thankfully, Tapu Koko appears and rescues both Nebby and yourself, which is a big deal as Tapu Koko doesn't normally appear for any trainer to see. Further proving how special Tapu Koko is, the Pokemon gives your character the 'Sparkling Stone', which later becomes the Z-Ring, a central plot-important item that gives your Pokemon access to Z-moves. Later on, when Lusamine unleashes the Ultra Beasts into Alola, Tapu Koko appears to stop the attacks from Buzzwole/Pheromosa on Melemele. Finally, when the player defeats Professor Kukui at the Pokemon league, the player returns to Tapu Koko's shrine, where the Pokemon finally realizes that the player is now worthy enough, and Tapu Koko challenges it to a battle where it is eventually caught (this is different than any other legendary encounter in any Pokemon game as it's a part of the credits; you haven't even had a chance to save yet!)

In the anime, Tapu Koko plays a similar role towards Ash (I know people like bringing in the anime because Lycanroc so I'm bringing it up here). In the very first episode of the Alola arc, Tapu Koko gives Ash the Z-Ring and also teaches Pikachu Gigavolt Havoc (the Electric-type Z-move). In the following episode, Tapu Koko wants to battle Ash with his newly Z-powered Pikachu; the battle ends in a draw after Koko takes no damage and flies off. Later, it also watched Ash complete his first Island challenge against Totem Gumshoos. It later challenges Ash and Pikachu to battle. This one also ends in a draw after Ash and Pikachu fall off a cliff, only to be saved by Koko (sound familiar?). Once Nebby enters the anime, Tapu Koko and his fellow guardian deities take on a guardianship for the Cosmog, leading Ash to find Nebby and it watched its evolution into Cosmoem, and later help facilitates its evolution into Solgaleo, and allows both Solgaleo and Ash to perform Solgaleo's unique Z-move. Currently, it is working with the humans on exterminating the Ultra Beasts.

When compared to the Alola frontrunners for Smash in Decidueye, Lycanroc and Mimikyu, Tapu Koko finds a really nice balance in terms of relevance. It was one of the first Pokemon known about due to its brief appearance in the initial trailers, and as the player's guardian, it takes on a unique bond with the player much like a starter. Lycanroc does have more anime importance, as does Mimikyu (debatable), but neither match Koko's role in the games.

TL;DR: Story significant Legendary Pokemon in both video games and anime, which doesn't really exist in any other form.

What would it do?

As an Electric/Fairy type Legendary, Tapu Koko has a lot of unique abilities. This includes its in-game unique ability to summon electricity from nowhere using its Electric Surge ability (the Electric Terrain field move). This basically has the effect of buffing its Electric-type moves. To go along with this, it carries the usual assortment of Electric-type moves in Thunder/shock/bolt, Discharge and Electro Ball. Being based on a bird, it also carries a few Flying-type moves such as Sky Attack, Brave Bird and Acrobatics. Finally, as a Guardian Pokemon, it carries the unique move Nature's Madness, which always does half-damage to the foe. This can be upgraded using the Tapunium-Z item into the Z-move 'Guardian of Alola', which does 75% health damage to the foe. In terms of stats, Tapu Koko is fast, favoring its high speed stat, with a high attack stat to compliment it. It's special attack is also pretty good, but it suffers from low defense.

Now I know 'fast Electric-type' sounds a lot like Pikachu, and I think that's why Tapu Koko is a virtual unknown in the Smash fanbase. However, Tapu Koko differs in its fighting-style. This Pokemon loves to fight! The PokeDex mentions that it becomes 'malevolent' when its 'hair-trigger anger' is unleashed, suggesting that it's a very reckless Pokemon. In Smash, this could be viewed as a character that simply gets joy out of beating the tar out of Ridley or Villager. When compared with Pikachu, who has an evasive fighting-style owed to its small frame (using its quick speed and Quick Attack to dart in and out), Tapu Koko simply wants to get in, close the gap and unleash the assault, truly not caring at all if it survives (it's a Legendary Pokemon so it's basically immortal anyways!). Such a reckless fighter has more in common with Captain Falcon than a wimpy mouse!

There are a few ways this works into a Smash moveset. Using its Electric Surge ability to create the Electric Terrain, this could be a charging buff move (ala P:M Lucas) that buffs Electric moves damage for a duration. This could be a field-effecting move as well, but as Inkling seems to have field control as its main attribute, we'll leave it alone. As Tapu Koko's unique ability, this seems like the most unique route to go as a fighter. It's got movement based moves in the form of Acrobatics, Wild Charge and Sky Attack to close gaps to get into the opponent's face, from there being in a comfortable position to unleash Electric hell on the opponent. Their fault for challenging a legendary I guess!

You could also go for a more reckless set centered around debuffs. Central to this would be the move Electro Ball, a move which does more damage if the target is slower. Obviously this can't be translated into Smash as is or it'd be too useless in certain matchups and absolutely ruthless in others. However, what would work is Koko using moves like Mean Look or Thunder Wave to inflict a speed-debuff on the opponent, and then using something like Electric Terrain to buff its own speed and increase the damage of Electro Ball. I like the first set more for its simplicity, but feel like the second set creates a uniquely frustrating scenario that tries to mimic the difficulty of catching a Legendary Pokemon. Either way, the Final Smash has to be Guardian of Alola - it simply makes too much sense for it not to be.

In terms of stats, Koko would have excellent speed stats, rivaling Greninja in terms of ground speed, falling speed and air speed (this is one of the fastest Pokemon ever canonically!). It's also 6 feet tall, so it would be tall, probably similar to Charizard. And while Sakurai doesn't always take canonical weights into account (hi Mewtwo!), Koko's reckless nature would seem to fit a lighter weight fighter, probably around Zelda's weight. This is very much a glass cannon character, something which a lot of characters try to be, but don't always make canonical sense, unlike Tapu Koko.

So yeah, here's another Pokemon to add to the Alola group, one that seems to make a lot of sense due to its importance in lore that allows it to stand out from the crowd despite face-level similarities to already existing fighters.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Nearly 12 hours and no post ;/

Anyways, with it being Pokemon day in RTC and the topic of merchandise has been brought up, I wanted to bring up the merchandise that has been made around Koko. While it's not as plentiful as someone like Mimikyu, it's still existant and it looks really cool.

To start with, I love this clothing like sold at Pokemon Center. The Polynesian influence on the clothing is a neat touch considering Alola being based on Hawaii, which draws heavily on Polynesian culture.

There's also plushies in both normal and shiny forms. Interestingly, the shiny form is actually unobtainable in-game.

There are also multiple TCG collections starring Koko, including a shiny collection.

Evidently, there is some demand for this guy.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Mimikyu is my first choice for an obligatory Gen 7 Pokemon in this game, but I think Tapu Koko would be my number two. (Next 3 would be Incineroar, Kartana and Poipole, also I kinda despise Decidueye even tho he's probably the most likely Smash Pokemon).

I think if Koko was in the game his shield would be kinda like Yoshi's with him putting his arms up to look like a bird head:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I definitely support this! He's one of my favorite Gen 7 Pokemon and I would absolutely love to see him in Smash! I also believe that he has the highest chance to be made playable out of any other Gen 7 Pokemon.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think people might be sleeping on his chances, if we get another Pokemon, I'm starting to think it might be him. He's prominent in both the games and the anime and got a lot of promotion pre Sun and Moon. He's depicted as this new cool and mysterious new Pokemon.

That's assuming we even get a new Pokemon, and competition for Gen 7 Pokemon is tough.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I think people might be sleeping on his chances, if we get another Pokemon, I'm starting to think it might be him. He's prominent in both the games and the anime and got a lot of promotion pre Sun and Moon. He's depicted as this new cool and mysterious new Pokemon.

That's assuming we even get a new Pokemon, and competition for Gen 7 Pokemon is tough.
I fully agree with this. I'm surprised by how many people are sleeping on his chances. He really has everything swung in his favor, even popularity, as it it mattered, considering the window of development, but regardless. He also would have an interesting new way to play, with his signature moves and ability.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
So, if Verge is to be believed, then I'm almost certain our Gen VII rep is Tapu Koko. He just makes so much sense. He's a major factor in the story of Sun and Moon, he's made frequent anime appearances, and captures the feel and style of Alola very well. Plus he has potential for a speedy, fun moveset which seems like something Sakurai would go for.

Decidueye is still my preferred choice but he's looking less likely.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Tapu Koko is my second favourite Gen 7 Pokemon (and was my number 1 for a while until Mimikyu took over), so if Mimikyu fails to get in, Koko would easily be my next pick. I personally don't think he's very likely at all, but I'd be overjoyed to see him get in.

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
Add me as a supporter! Tapu Koko is my favorite gen 7 Pokémon and after Bandana Dee he’s my most wanted newcomer. He even comes from MELEMELE ISLAND! If that’s not perfect for smash I don’t know what is.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
If he got in, any ideas for trailer and tagline would be?
"Tapu Koko looks for a fight!"
"Tapu Koko yearns for a fight!"
"Tapu Koko tests his strength!"
"Tapu Koko defends his turf!"
"Tapu Koko strikes forth!"
"Tapu Koko, a force of nature!"

just dumping all I could think of lol

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The only real point against Koko would be "do we really want three of our playable Pokemon to be Electric types?". Not a great reason, but you never know. Pichu is a special clone case.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The only real point against Koko would be "do we really want three of our playable Pokemon to be Electric types?". Not a great reason, but you never know. Pichu is a special clone case.
Yeah I don't think it's an issue, especially when people are rallying behind Incineroar of all Pokemon for some reason, who is a second fully evolved Fire starter.

At least the only thing Tapu Koko has in common with Pikachu is both are Electric types, aside from that they're completely different

LYD

Smash Rookie

Just wanted to share a moveset I made for Tapu Koko. It's not only one of my all-time favorite Pokémon, but I also think it's the most likely generation 7 representative that Pokémon could get. Decidueye has a decent chance, but it's not particularly popular as other starters and Tapu Koko itself, Nihilego would probably be my bey after Tapu Koko and Decidueye, but I still think it's a bit of an odd pick, but it would indeed bring several unique characteristics to the table in spite of somewhat of a lack of popularity. Meanwhile, Melemele's guardian is probably one of the most well-known Pokémon from generation 7 and plays a crucial role in the game's story. With that being said, please add me to the support list and without further ado, here's my suggested moveset:
Attributes

Weight: same as :ultmetaknight: and :ultzss:
Walk Speed: same as :ultfalco:
Running Speed: same as :ultfalcon:
Air Speed: same as :ultyoshi:
Falling Speed: same as :ulttoonlink:

Gimmick

Whenever Tapu Koko is touching the ground, electricity flows throughout the entire platform / piece of ground, boosting all of Tapu Koko's moves involving electricity by 33.3% (three if its smash moves plus two of its specials) in both damage and knockback, thus, most of its electric Specials aren't as effective on air, to make up for this, Tapu Koko has arguably the best aerial mobility in the game. However, Tapu Koko's gimmick also boosts the power of other electricity-related moves when Tapu Koko is on the ground, making his matchup against the likes of Lucas, Ness, Pikachu, and Samus a little worse.

Tapu Koko's shield is unique, as it closes it's shell, protecting itself. Works just like Yoshi's shield.

Standard Attacks

Neutral Attack

Tapu Koko uses one of its shell halves to strike foes, it has a big hitbox, but small damage.

Dash Attack
Tapu Koko headbutts its foe, it's quite strong and fast.

Tilt Attacks

Forward Tilt

Melemele's guardian uses one of its half shells to attack the opponent, Tapu Koko lunges a bit forward, giving the move moderate range.

Up Tilt
Using its electrifying hair, Tapu Koko pushes their opponent upwards, a very fast move with impressive range but poor damage.

Down Tilt
Tapu Koko performs a slide tackle, has good range and decent

Aerial Attacks

Neutral Air

Similar to its Neutral Attack, Tapu Koko jabs at its opponent with his half shell. Quick and weak.

Forward Air
A quick upward headbutt strikes Tapu Koko's foe, despite its small range, its a strong and quick move.

Back Air
Tapu Koko opens it's half-shell backward, hitting hard at its opponent, a reliable KO option for Tapu Koko's aerial game despite the reasonable lag.

Up Air
Plays very similar to its up tilt, but with less knockback and even faster.

Down Air
Tapu Koko performs an air flip and spikes its foe downwards with its hair, noticeable start lag.

Grabs & Throws

Grab

Tapu Koko grabs its foe using both of the beaks at the tip of its shell. Decent range but quite fast.

Pummel
Tapu Koko holds with only one beak and pecks its foe with the other, quite fast but doesn't damage opponents too much.

Forward Throw
Tapu Koko spins once and releases its foe forward, mediocre knockback but quite fast.

Back Throw
Tapu Koko jumps and flips releasing its foe backward and slightly downward, has decent knockback and can be used to ledgeguard and exploit characters with poor recoveries.

Up Throw
By far its best throw, using it's hair to hurl opponents upwards, has big knockback.

Down Throw
Tapu Koko jumps and pushes its target downward, can be a solid combo start, has little to no end lag.

Smash Attacks

Forward Smash: Spark

Tapu Koko throws an electrically charged tackle at its foe, considerable end lag, but big damage and knockback.

Up Smash: Shock Wave
Tapu Koko electrifies its hair and hurls its opponent upward with big damage and knockback. Has some noticeable end lag though.

Down Smash: Charge
Melemele's guardian creates three pillars of electricity covering it and a small range in both its front and back. This attack deals big damage and knockback while adding a boost of 33.3% to any subsequent Electric-type move. Nonetheless, the attack does have considerable lag both before and after it.

Specials

Neutral Special: Nature's Madness

Nature's Madness is a unique move in the sense that the damage dealt is proportional to the percentage of its opponent, the less percentage Tapu Koko's foe has, the more damage this move does. Tapu Koko creates a small sphere of energy in front of it, it's quite a strong move and has decent range, but Tapu Koko does suffer some considerable end lag from it, to make up for the strength of the move against healthy opponents. It also has very little knockback but does stun the opponent a bit, once again inversely proportional to their percentage.

Side Special: Wild Charge
Tapu Koko dashes sideways very quickly with electricity surrounding it. The move is quite similar to Charizard's Flare Blitz, albeit less strong and a lot faster, but still keeping some recoil. This is an excellent form of horizontal recovery, but due to the 2% recoil provoked, it also gives Tapu Koko a small drawback from recovery.

Up Special: Brave Bird
Tapu Koko rises an astounding vertical distance while damaging opponents simultaneously. The move is quite similar to Bayonetta's Witch Twist, but it lasts for a lot longer, although it doesn't share the jump to Witch Twist property. Akin to Wild Charge, Tapu Koko also takes a very small recoil upon using the move, giving it a slight drawback from recovering just like Wild Charge.

Down Special: Discharge
A relatively weak move with a noticeable start lag, but one that stuns opponents for a very short period of time. It has a decent range on air, but when Tapu Koko is grounded, the move hits any grounded foe sharing a platform with Tapu Koko, making an excellent spacing tool, especially on stages like Final Destination. Fortunately for Tapu Koko's opponent, the stun is even smaller the farther Tapu Koko's opponent is away from it, and Tapu Koko has considerable lag using the move.

Final Smash: Guardian of Alola
Tapu Koko goes to its totem forme and uses it's signature Z-move: Guardian of Alola, punching a foe of it's choice, in a similar fashion to Bowser's Final Smash.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I support! By far my favorite idea for a Pokemon newcomer. Assuming Verg is right and it's not Lycanrock or Decidueye then we basically have incineroar and Tapu Koko. Imo Incineroar would be one of the most boring pokemon they could add. Tapu Koko all the way!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm starting to think the Pokemon might be revealed tomorrow, which to me says Tapu Koko. Good Luck tomorrow!

D

Deleted member

For all the talk of Decidueye and Lycanroc prior to that vergeben statement. And all the talk of Incineroar ever since. Tapu Koko is honestly another viable option for a Sun & Moon Pokemon given the importance to the lore that the Tapu's have. Of which Tapu Koko stands out the most.

Consider me a supporter.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The Pokemon they chose is so disappointing. My least favourite Pokemon. Just wow. I think his presence in the game lowers the value of the game. Every time I look at the css, I'm going to have disdain for this character. Every time I put a token on random, there's a chance this stupid character is going to be in the match. It's stupid face and stupid voice.

I've never hated a character this much

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
The Pokemon they chose is so disappointing. My least favourite Pokemon. Just wow. I think his presence in the game lowers the value of the game. Every time I look at the css, I'm going to have disdain for this character. Every time I put a token on random, there's a chance this stupid character is going to be in the match. It's stupid face and stupid voice.

I've never hated a character this much
I know we all wanted decidueye or someone else. But that's a little salty man. At least we can make memes about him being fighter number 69.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I know we all wanted decidueye or someone else. But that's a little salty man. At least we can make memes about him being fighter number 69.
>we all wanted decidueye
>tapu koko thread

And I personally believe anyone who wants a Pokemon that isn't humanoid starter 3 needs to speak up. You don't like FE being easy to categorize, it should be the same with Pokemon. It doesn't matter that "anime swordsman" is easier to type than "humanoid starter added solely to have a rep from the latest gen without considering what's popular".

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
>we all wanted decidueye
>tapu koko thread

And I personally believe anyone who wants a Pokemon that isn't humanoid starter 3 needs to speak up. You don't like FE being easy to categorize, it should be the same with Pokemon. It doesn't matter that "anime swordsman" is easier to type than "humanoid starter added solely to have a rep from the latest gen without considering what's popular".
I'm personally against another humanoid final starter evo being the rep every time. Decidueye was the only one I personally liked. I'm just being positive about incineroar who I personally never liked. I personally wanted Necrozma as the Gen 7 rep, because he's a major character in ultra sun and ultra moon. Though if all gens are counted, I want Wurmple or Obstagoon.

Top Bottom