• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump

Tinkady

Smash Rookie
Sup guys. I know that tap jump is bad for Yoshi given that it makes egg before jump much less reliable, and that TheWall has tap jump off.

That said, are there any high level Yoshis that use tap jump? Is it even worth having Yoshi as a main or secondary with tap jump? I'm unable to switch.

Genuine_Angus_B33F

Smash Rookie
Sup guys. I know that tap jump is bad for Yoshi given that it makes egg before jump much less reliable, and that TheWall has tap jump off.

That said, are there any high level Yoshis that use tap jump? Is it even worth having Yoshi as a main or secondary with tap jump? I'm unable to switch.
I have the exact same problem. Essentially I had to learn how to throw eggs without using a jump, which is similar to using and Up tilt on the ground. While it is less optimal for somethings, if you work around it, it won't cripple you. Hope that helps

Yaddl

Smash Cadet
I use tap jump, and the way that I avoid jump canceling my egg toss is by having my C-Stick set to special. It's also really helpful for being more precise with eggs in general, and makes it easier to B-reverse down-B among other things.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Playing Yoshi with tap jump in Smash 4 definitely makes certain actions unnecessarily difficult - I personally prefer to play with it off for more consistent up tilts/eggs without fear of wasting jump considering it's like 75% of Yoshi's recovery. But if you're already used to tap jump and aren't planning on making Yoshi a dedicated main/secondary, it probably doesn't matter too much, you just have to be a bit careful with how far you press the stick.

Tinkady

Smash Rookie
I have the exact same problem. Essentially I had to learn how to throw eggs without using a jump, which is similar to using and Up tilt on the ground. While it is less optimal for somethings, if you work around it, it won't cripple you. Hope that helps
Is it a matter of a quick flick, a light touch, or both?

aren't planning on making Yoshi a dedicated main/secondary, it probably doesn't matter too much
Nah, Yoshi is my #2 (maybe #3) and I want to focus more on him, but I'm wondering if I need to drop him for this reason alone.

Last edited:

DJlive

Smash Apprentice
Nah, you don't need to drop Yoshi if you don't want tap jump off. It makes certain moves like instant uair easier. Also makes shets easier. But yeah, not that optimal if you're playing with eggs but definitely doable. If you feel unsafe, ff after every et.

Top Bottom