• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tap jump on vs off

red hot roy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5473-0450-7276
which do you prefer? though i've played all smash games using up to jump, and doing okay with that (but i dou se X or Y if i have to for stuff like a wavedash in melee or any other thing like that), i know that a lot of people say that its better to not tap, and even turn off the tap jump, is it a personal preference thing, or is tap off actually a better way to play and i should practice that?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Off. I am used to jumping by pressing a button rather than the directional because of many, many platformers I played.

red hot roy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5473-0450-7276
Off. I am used to jumping by pressing a button rather than the directional because of many, many platformers I played.
i think the reason i play with on is because when i was around 4 melee was one of the first gamecube games i played, and i played so much when we first had it in 2004, then when we got the wii, i played brawl a ton and as a kid in both those games i was always using up to jump, so then when i got into competitive for smash, i always had just jumped the way i did as a child, and now i just cant break that habit.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I'd say it is personal preference. Although for some advanced techniques, it makes them easier for some players.

I play with tap jump off because I always accidently burn my double jump when performing an up-b.

Ian The Boy

Smash Rookie
NNID
IanBourgeoiZelda
I use to have tap jump on all the time, but I changed it to tap jump off when I got into competitive play because I thought it was better and all the pros did it that way... BOY WAS I WRONG but I cant play with it on now it messes everything up

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
I played Brawl competitively with tap jump on and after realizing the benefits of turning it off, I made the transition in Sm4sh. Took a little getting used to but have completely adjusted by now and think tap jump off has improved my gameplay overall

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I like to keep it on. I've tried playing with tap jump off on numerous occasions, but it always felt weird to me. Just recently I bought a Steam controller to play Slap City with, and I think I perform better with the tap jump on than off. Maybe for Smash Ultimate I'll switch it up, but I'll most likely be going back to having tap jump on.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Disabling tap jumps is a blessing, since the last thing you want to do is accidentally waste your mid-air jump while trying to perform an up aerial.

Last edited:

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
I have difficulty performing up tilts consistently with it on. So I have it off. Plus the other reasons people mentioned.

Top Bottom