• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump: On or Off?

Harb

Smash Cadet
NNID
Harb323
Switch FC
SW-2002-6569-6711
Lately, I've been experimenting with my control setup. I've kept tap jump off for the past few days, and I am still getting the hang of it. I play as Mewtwo, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and Ryu the most. How does everyone else prefer to play? Are there any ways I can improve myself if I've been used to tap jump all my life?

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I use tap jump as my primary jump. I've tried switching, but haven't been able to. If you can, though, here are some basic pros and cons:

Pros:
Easier U-smash/Up-B OOS
Double sticking

Cons:
Hard to U-tilt/Up-B/tilt shield upward w/o jumping (I personally have 0 issues with U-tilt and shield tilting is mostly irrelevant for me, but they could be concerns. I to sometimes have issues with Up-B though. Keep in mind some of these could also be solved by rebinding the C-stick.)
Hard to perfect pivot/dash dance w/o jumping

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I started disabling Tap Jump because after a while, it just kind of became a hindrance, to me. I don't think it's executed properly as a control option (wouldn't it be nice if it wereTap Jump and not "If your stuck goes up in the Y axis you get a jump whether you want to or not"? Why does the definition of "Tap" change between dashing and jumping?)
However, if you like it, there's nothing really that wrong with it. It does mean you don't need to keep a separate input for Jump if you don't want to.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I have Tap Jump disabled, and have also Changed L to Jump as well.

Tap Jump almost always screwed me anyways when doing certain things and makes U-Tilts so much easier. I set L to jump because it's kinda just there since I only use R for Shield/Dodge, plus I needed an easy way to jump with Dedede's Jet Hammer since my thumb would already be occupied holding B to charge it. It's a decent substitute for Tap Jump in my own opinion.

You could still do certain OOS options with L being turned to jump and have your right thumb already doing what you want, plus you still get those easier U-Tilts. Other than that, I have C-Stick set to Attack as it really helps with aerial mobility and gives you other perks to boot as well. It might make it slightly harder to preform Smash Attacks but the perks it gives makes up for it plenty.

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
The biggest advantage with tap-jump off is you can more easily up tilt without accidentally jumping. I personally play with tap jump on but coming from Melee where you essentially have to learn how to up-tilt without jumping I'm used to it. I actually usually use Y to jump but I subconsciously use tap jump at random moments. Quick up airs especially.
I know it's not exactly the same but I played Mewtwo in PM and used tap jump a lot with him in that. (Mewtwo and ZSS both benefit from quick up airs and I like tap jump on both of them. IDK Ryu enough to have an opinion on tap jump with him)

The biggest disadvantage is if you are into Melee & Sm4sh you are essentially handicapping yourself keeping tap jump off as it will make it harder for yourself in Melee.

LeWaddleDee

Smash Rookie
NNID
KoolKangaskhan
Tap jump makes up tilts a lot harder to do in my experience. I just use the default x jump on gamecube controllers. Makes it a lot easier.

Top Bottom