• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump for Mewtwo

Zimflare

Smash Apprentice
I am wondering if tap jump should be on or off when playing mewtwo. I personally have it off but have recently considered having it on. Are any downsides to having it on such as losing a double jump/hover and if so are there are any ways around this? Or is it just better overall to have it off for playing mewtwo?

Also, I think I should add that I know it obviously makes DJC much harder to do, so this is what makes me think tap jump is necessary for mewtwo, but again with the possibility of losing a double jump. And if turning it off is the case, can hover canceling replace the tedious way of DJCing without tap jump?

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
Tap jump makes it hard to distinguish between hovering upwards and jumping out of hover, I believe.

Instant hover-cancelling is superior to instant DJC. I have R set to jump with tap jump off, and if for some reason I want to do an instant DJC, I do X -> R -> aerial.

Zimflare

Smash Apprentice
Tap jump makes it hard to distinguish between hovering upwards and jumping out of hover, I believe.

Instant hover-cancelling is superior to instant DJC. I have R set to jump with tap jump off, and if for some reason I want to do an instant DJC, I do X -> R -> aerial.
Oh ya I get how that would conflict with hovering. Ok I will probably leave it off, especially since I agree with you that hover cancels are superior to DJCs.

Based Gob

Smash Rookie
I personally have tap jump off. The few others who I know who play mewtwo are the same way, though I believe some do have tap on. I suppose a lot of it is personal preference.

MoRkY

Smash Rookie
OOS teleport is much easier with tap jump on though, at least for me? Maybe I am doing it wrong with tap jump off.

Kaosxxxx

Smash Apprentice
Watch some of my videos on the emukiller and other players thread. I play with tap off and it allows me versatility in the air as I hover combo. You see it a lot against neon and aion. My name is kaos.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I play with tap jump off because it's easier for me to maintain control in the air and not accidentally hover. However it really boils down to personal preference.

CeLL

Smash Lord
tap jump off helps with d-tilt to up-tilt combos as well, which are pretty hard on regular controls if you're going to up-tilt on reaction to d-tilt connecting.

So yeah, personal preference but tap jump off is probably better.
Speaking of dtilt to utilt, what about dtilt to hovercancelled uair? Seems to combo into fair much more than dtilt to utilt.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
can mewtwo double jump cancel?
Tip for the newbie who clearly spammed their way to 10: it's really not that hard to make 10 decent posts instead of necroing random threads, and whatever url you so desperately needed to link can probably wait the extra 5-10 minutes. It also makes a better first impression.

...but you probably don't care about that since you felt the need to do so in the first place. /shrug

Last edited:
Top Bottom