• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump and other control schemes.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
I have a few questions about Using the tap jump and other control changes on the GC controller, because I've been debating whether or not I should let go of the habit of using my control scheme:
Tap Jump on
R = jump (for Pk Jump)
C stick = Attack/Tilts (A.K.A. T-stick)
L = Shield/tech
Z = grab
The rest are default.

My Questions
How many of you use Tap Jump?
What do you think are the pros and cons of it?
What do you think about T-sticking?
Is R a good setting for the use of PK jump?
What are your Controller Schemes?

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I'd have thought this would be better placed with the thread in the General Discussion part of the whole website, but we can relate it to ness only.

Having a single button that you can simultaneously press with the jump button is a great idea for PK Jump. It can either be one of the shoulder buttons or change whichever X/Y you use least to special, but it doesn't matter much. I use L to distribute the strain on fingers so that I'm no destroying my right hand... And I got used to using R for shield.

Tilt-stick seemed like a good idea to me.... The problem was that it didn't function as well with my inputs as I wanted to for whatever reason. You are on a good track with it, but I always like speedy smashes and the ability to turn around and do weird stuff. Also, my aerials are used with the CStick a lot, and tilt-sticking messed them up horrendously.

I have tapjump off. The reason is upair, uptilt, and PKT. I would always randomly jump when using those, and it got obnoxious.

Really, it ends up being whatever works for you. Mine is this:

L= jump
TJump Off
Y= special.

I never use Y though.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
Tap Jump off. I hate it : <
I put Y as my main grab button and R as Grab (never use it) and Z as Attack (rarely use it).
I leave everything else normal.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I have mine set to default as well. If I DO change it, I change the d-pad though.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I keep the tap jump on and use default controls. Mainly because the tap jump makes it easier to meteor cancel.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
HOLY ****ING ****! REF!!!! WHERE THE **** HAVE YOU BEEN?!?!?!??!?!!??!?!

STAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that makes sense, I guess good idea. xD I just can't get used to it.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
o

I use default with X set to grab and tap jump off.

I HAVE 2 SHIELD BUTTONS, YES.

Why tilt stick? Easier non-FF dairs/U tilts?

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
i prefer to t -stick because I often have trouble u-tilting. I mostly use it for the purpose of aerials, because it does almost all that smash sticking does except you can move are and nair with it on. I can control my dair extremely well with A and the control stick, so i mostly use t-stick for retreating bairs, falling uairs, mobile nairs, and sometimes retreating fairs :ness: I don't recommend it if you like angling ftilts though, manually works best xD

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
If you have trouble utilting with default controls, remember you only have to move the joystick very slightly to initiate a tilt. You can shift the joystick upwards less than halfway and still get a utilt.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
You should try:

Tap Jump Off
Z - Grab
C-stick - Smashes
R/L - Shield
R/L - Jump/Special
Y - Jump
X - Grab/Special

Tap Jump off lets you U tilt easier but meteor canceling and jump canceled Up B/Up Smash become slightly harder. You also don't have to worry about wasting your second jump when DIing.

With smash stick SDI and smashes are easier. But buffered Uairs and non-FF Dairs become harder.

X as grab makes buffering grabs and dash grabs easier IMO. I don't like the Z button. Special makes PK jumping ezpz.

Thoughts?

hi eagleeye

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I like the idea for y being jump and x being special, but I just can't get used to Y as a jump button. it's weird for me.
I tried tilt-stick for c-stick, but it just doesn't work right for me.... like randomly it would jump when I push up, which doesn't make sense, so I'd stick with smashes.
One Trigger button as jump is a good idea. easier PK Jump, IMO.
otherwise, everything else is pretty normal.

Do I know you from somewhere, Deathfox?!? I feel like I do.....

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
The utilting manually would cause me to slow down, and I usually need to pull it out fast x__x; and I finally got the hang of alternating between tap jump and R(jump) for pk jump! It's a great way to get back to the stage since no one's prepared for it xD

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
The utilting manually would cause me to slow down, and I usually need to pull it out fast x__x; and I finally got the hang of alternating between tap jump and R(jump) for pk jump! It's a great way to get back to the stage since no one's prepared for it xD
Manual U tilting is easy and you should be able to do it fast.

You can hold the control stick up when you buffer U tilts which makes it a lot easier than forward and down tilts. I find it much more annoying buffering smashes manually than tilts.

I find it really annoying when I accidentally Nair or jab with tilt stick. But whatever works for you. :3

Top Bottom