• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tampora 2.0 (April 29th - May 1st) Finland

leffen

Smash Champion
wow, you really dont know anything about organizing a tournament do you paju.

YOU DONT USE SEEDINGS MADE FOR POOLS FOR BRACKET IF IT MEANS PEOPLE FACING EACH OTHER THAT THEY ALREADY MET. YOU HAVE POOL SEEDINGS.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
How should we know exactly how you should be seeded in Brawl as we know practically nothing about your skill level? You didn't even inform us about it so what's the point?

leffen

Smash Champion
Yeah, people should tell others what their seed are, tournament hosts shouldnt check with other swedes , its the players fault.

Jesus christ.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I guess it's the players fault when everyone in the tourney was like a little angel and agreed with whatever **** they threw at their face.

leffen

Smash Champion
Also who the hell came up with the idea to do TEN MAN POOLS when we were running out of time? And a 24 man bracket...

LZR: Wow get the fk out

Paju

Smash Journeyman
wow, you really dont know anything about organizing a tournament do you paju.

YOU DONT USE SEEDINGS MADE FOR POOLS FOR BRACKET IF IT MEANS PEOPLE FACING EACH OTHER THAT THEY ALREADY MET. YOU HAVE POOL SEEDINGS.
I never said I wouldn't change the seedings myself. It was all up to RTpmwe to change them if he wanted. And yeah you definelty know how to argue. =) If you don't have anything more to say about the others people arguments let just bash the other argumenter in person! And I don't know did you knew it but I have been running very many smashfest by myself and also helping people with other smashfest and so far nobody has complained about the seeds. But I guess everyone was just wrong and I don't know anything about TOing, sorry!

And btw: http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7149/73854282.png and http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/9739/95200695.png

AND YEAH I AGREED ARMADA SHOULD'VE BEEN HELPING TO SEED THE BRACKET ON THE VENUE, I DIDN'T LIKE THE BRACKET ON EVERY PART ALSO, AND I DIDN'T DO THE BRACKET SEEDING FOR THIS TOURNAMENT, RTPMWE DID SO JUST STOP BASHING, OK?

leffen

Smash Champion
Then what part of "People from the same pool won't play against each other in the first rounds (winners and losers)?

Im not insulting your bracket seeding smartass, stop getting defensive. Im insulting THE BRACKET, if you had nothing to do with it, then I'm not blaming you.

Hosting a smashfest and a international tournament isnt even comparable lol.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
A 16 man bracket would've been too strict as this is the biggest Brawl Singles we're had and we wanted to have a bigger bracket leading to a more exciting tournament. The pools were also only 8 man each with one 9 man pool exception but we didn't know so many swedes wanted to enter it so we had to just add them there. There wasn't anything wrong about these decisions since we could have finished them way earlier if it wasn't for the misunderstanding about Jadde's disqualification (and you coming so late to the venue).

Paju

Smash Journeyman
Then what part of "People from the same pool won't play against each other in the first rounds (winners and losers)?
It was first round not first rounds.

Im not insulting your bracket seeding smartass, stop getting defensive. Im insulting THE BRACKET, if you had nothing to do with it, then I'm not blaming you.
It surely did sound like that when you attacked directly to me.

Hosting a smashfest and a international tournament isnt even comparable lol.
Yea I know and that was bad example, but still I do have TO experience.

leffen

Smash Champion
24 man bracket is still an ******** idea but w/e

Paju, then how do you explain "winners and losers" ... armada isnt exactly the best typing english, and honestly, shouldn't it have been obvious anyway?

and yeah, I attacked your ground for your arguments (thinking bracket=pool for seeding), sorry if it sounded as I attacked you in person.

and I TO'ing experience has nothing to do with how good you are at something. It's like saying someone that only did 1+1 ninethousand and one times has math "experience" and that this argument alone should justify his failures.

RTpmwe

Smash Cadet
Maybe I'll answer to this now.

Yeah I know the running of the tournament wasn't that great, but saying I didn't do anything isn't right either.

Most ranting seems to be coming from the seeding of the bracket, I used the numbers Paju just posted and just put the pool seeds in order according to the corresponding number with bËst and asked Armada to look at it, and he changed pepito's and nipi's place, so it's kinda dumb to say that I didn't ask anyone to help with the seeding of the bracket since I know I could've not done it by myself. Paju gave me those seeding numbers he just posted way before the tournament, and Armada approved with those.

Imo the worst thing was the tournament running so late and I take responsibility on that, but I'd like to point out couple of things first. Brawl was supposed to be held fully on friday night, but swedes coming late postponed it a little, but I'm not blaming you for that. Brawl bracket wasn't played on friday because Jadde went asleep, I said to Laatikko that he should be DQ'd but for some reason he didn't do that. leffen also said that no one knew when everything was supposed to start, it's funny that no one still asked me and I told Armada and couple of other swedes when we would start on saturday, but I guess you never speak with each other :) . Then the pools taking too long, I know I should've kicked the players more, but I still assume people to play their matches and not just wait for someone to come to show them who they are supposed to be play and where. Thinking it now I definately should've numbered the tvs and split them by pools, and I take responsibility for that. leffen said that he yelled at me during my tournament set and said that I heard, I dunno if you yelled or what, but I didn't hear a thing, I guess I should just listen to everyone's voice during my tournament set if they happen to have something to say to me, seriously speaking you should've come check the bracket when it was done (I said when the bracket was ready and when it'll start so you had time, and I asked from Armada and he said it was ok after changing pepito and nipi, I didn't think I should have over 60 players check the bracket). During teams the tio file got messed up and I had to re-do the pools in a new tio file which took time.

I know I didn't do that good of a job and now I'm wiser and I think I have learned my lesson.

Oh and Neutroni, I still love you :)

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Brawl bracket wasn't played on friday because Jadde went asleep, I said to Laatikko that he should be DQ'd but for some reason he didn't do that.
I don't understand this at all since Izaw told me that he told you to tell me to disqualify Jadde but I remember you only telling me that Jadde went to sleep, nothing about disqualifying him. Then I said that I can't disqualify him because of the rule that no one has to play after 24:00 and you said I can do whatever I want. If you really told me to disqualify Jadde why didn't you repeat it and make it clear but just resorted to say "whatever"? At one point you told me that you didn't even remember saying anything to me at all on the subject.

I don't want to blame you but I really don't remember you saying anything crucial.

Samochan

Smash Master
This is how our brackets was made. 1st pool number, then seed.

Armada 1.1
Susi 8.4

Samo 8.2
Yuna 1.3

Randomness 1.2
AJP 8.3

Smasher89 8.1
Vilu 1.4

Nipi 6.1
Skinutski 4.4

Android 4.2
Jadde 5.3

Rocky 5.2
Naminami 4.3

Leffen 4.1
ccst 5.4

pepi 3.1
saska 6.4

mastertk 6.2
paju 3.3

mayhem 3.2
mikehaggar 6.3

pepito 5.1
uber 3.4

aniolas 7.1
udikku 2.4

sale 2.2
rt 7.3

laatikko 2.3
best 7.2

ivp 2.1
hopo 7.4

--

Even if I'm not proficient in making a good 32 man bracket, there's still much off in this one imo. I cannot find any sense in putting poolers in same part of the bracket.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
If I had won vs Pepito (was last stock, 180%) I would've faced skinutski too... and in losers I faced Jaxi, who was from my pool.
I'm a bit late but you faced Riolu in losers who happens to resemble Jaxi very much. Even some finns still mistake them for the other :p So with that made clear, Riolu wasn't in your pool so in bracket you faced... no one from your pool?

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
Well, it seems RT atleast tried. I don't like him as a person because of how he has treated people before in finnish smashscene, but it seems that this time he atleast tried to do some good. I want to encourage good behaviour, so I will apologize my last message this time. Hope RT will continue from now on doing good and stop all the mean stuff^^

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
This is how our brackets was made. 1st pool number, then seed.

Armada 1.1
Susi 8.4

Samo 8.2
Yuna 1.3

Randomness 1.2
AJP 8.3

Smasher89 8.1
Vilu 1.4

Nipi 6.1
Skinutski 4.4

Android 4.2
Jadde 5.3

Rocky 5.2
Naminami 4.3

Leffen 4.1
ccst 5.4

pepi 3.1
saska 6.4

mastertk 6.2
paju 3.3

mayhem 3.2
mikehaggar 6.3

pepito 5.1
uber 3.4

aniolas 7.1
udikku 2.4

sale 2.2
rt 7.3

laatikko 2.3
best 7.2

ivp 2.1
hopo 7.4

--

Even if I'm not proficient in making a good 32 man bracket, there's still much off in this one imo. I cannot find any sense in putting poolers in same part of the bracket.
loool the top and bottom of this look hilarious :p but yeah making the bracket like this completely ruled out any upsets happening if you'd not want people from the same pools to face each other.

Quick shoutouts to the finns:
Naminami: GGs, our matches always feel like they could go either way and you came out on top this time :)
BËst: Long time no see lol. You didn't seem to be playing very well, hope you'll do better next time.
Vilness: Your luigi is freaking beastly dude lol
MasterTK: Shame we didn't play, I'm sure the matches would've been good.
Peki/Nipi: ^
Hippieetu: Your pikachu really surprised me man! Keep it up and you'll be beasting in no time :)
Salevits: Sorry about the teams bracket lol, I was just exhausted. We got 2nd in pools at least :p

bËst^

Smash Journeyman
Well, it seems RT atleast tried. I don't like him as a person because of how he has treated people before in finnish smashscene, but it seems that this time he atleast tried to do some good. I want to encourage good behaviour, so I will apologize my last message this time. Hope RT will continue from now on doing good and stop all the mean stuff^^
huoh... Pretty much seems like neutroni likes no one in Finland's smash community these days. Dunno the reason, but it would be definitely awesome to know.

Hope I'll get time to throw my shoutzzzz tonight! :)

stelzig

Smash Lord
How should we know exactly how you should be seeded in Brawl as we know practically nothing about your skill level? You didn't even inform us about it so what's the point?
Pretty sure at least skinutski knew leffen (I believe they both used to be a member of some scandinavian brawl clan...), yeah online and all, but leffen was quite recognized there afaik.

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
RT is not everyone, and I just gave a reason why I don't like him. I like many people in finnish smash-scene, and I play with them melee pretty often =). It's awesome to be able to be and play with people one really likes, and not have to pretend and take **** from guy's you don't like^^.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I had a great time, but I agree with leffen for the most. You Finnish guys had a horrible and biased seeding with the brackets (pools were still okay). When I first saw the Brawl brackets, I thought: "Okay, I can manage to the brackets." Even if I were very tired and not warmed-up (since R.O.B. takes a lot of focus meaning being tired is a pain), I made it through. I had Skinutski and leffen who beat me in pools (even if I know I can beat leffen, I was too tired and the fact that the Falco MU sucks for R.O.B. LoL johns, still love you leffen LoL. It also felt like I could take Skinutski too if I wasn't so freaking tired + the hard King Dedede MU LoL but whatever, please ignore this, it was no one's fault but the boat's, really. I did at least not face a Meta Knight so I'm pleased).

Anyway, when I heard I made it to the brackets, I thought: "Yes! Finally no more bad *** Skinutski!" and guess what? I faced him a second time; my second opponent. >_>
I was so freaking pissed off during that time, but I didn't want anybody to know that because there was such a great atmosphere in the local. And the fact that I met my brother in losers bracket just sucked LoL, so 3 matches = my final place in the tournament (9th with only R.O.B.). If you'd ask me, I could do as twice as good, I really aimed for the top 5 but due to crappy seeding I met the winner of the Brawl tournament, who sent me to loosers, and of course I met my brother which was boring as sh*t. Sh*t happens, I know, but the fact that I got to face Skinutski TWICE and if I managed to win over him, I'd have to face leffen YET AGAIN. I WAS REALLY BAD, MAN PLEASE SEED BETTER LOL, you could balance the bracket because the difference between the "upper" bracket and the "lower" bracket was HUGE, just saying (don't take it too personally). My first Brawl tournament ever and it went really bad for me due to the seeding, just 3 matches for a tournament bracket isn't me.

Then we have Melee but I don't give a sh*t about that crappy, unbalanced game so I don't care. But still listen to the critics there.

Sorry I don't mean bad but take these critics to your hearts and improve your next tournaments, because you really need it. =/

Some summaries about the Finnish guys I met:

-LzR-: Really awesome to finally meet you IRL, it was so awesome even if I didn't talk so much. You have the reasons in this post (I generally talk a bit more but I was just so mad). Keep improving with Jigglypuff because you have the potential to be a top player with her. Screw Meta Knight and pick up R.O.B. more LoL. No but really, I hope we see each other more IRL than just in MSN and the forums. Be motivated and inspired!

Jebu: Man what great times we had, I really enjoyed you and the chats we had. You're really good and keep improving. Sorry if I wasn't so happy all the times but you know the reasons now for sure. Your Swedish rocks, you even talked better than some of the Swedes LoL (if you compare).

Schwa: I really liked to battle you and talk. Even if we didn't do any MMs we still had a good time. Your Diddy Kong ***** hard, hope you don't switch to Meta Knight. You're awesome.

Skinutski: We didn't play so much, but we had a good time regardless. Your King Dedede is insane, and I like your style and personality. Too bad we didn't do any friendlies, but I'll get you next time! ;)
Do I have right if I say that I was the only one who took a game from you?

Susi, Jage, HeRu and the other ones (too lazy to write all of you =P): Didn't talk nor brawl you so much, but I hope we do that some more next time! You guys are awesome, keep on being awesome! See you next time.

I also want to waylay to thank the tournament hosters for doing an awesome tournament, even if it had its flaws. I had a good time outside the tournaments, so don't feel useless and pointless. We eventally meet next time Finland!

With kindest regards // ccst.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
RT is not everyone, and I just gave a reason why I don't like him. I like many people in finnish smash-scene, and I play with them melee pretty often =). It's awesome to be able to be and play with people one really likes, and not have to pretend and take **** from guy's you don't like^^.
The quirks of being retired as a tournament player lol

You're still a beast though dude!

Schwa

Smash Apprentice
Yo ccst I won't switch to MK, I wanna rep Norway and Diddy.

Yeah and I'll post shoutouts later lolz.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
@ccst
Skinutski was actually your third opponent and the possibility of you playing against your brother was not a reason to edit the pools. We seeded people in the traditional fashion Samochan showed a few posts earlier.

We had only four pools in Brawl which means you can play against your own poolmate quite early. We thought about other options but six pools would not have worked and eight would have had too little players in each. In the beginning there was only 8 players each but as the swedes arrived we got to know that more players are going to attend Brawl Singles which even lead to two 10 man pools. You played a poolmate, Skinutski, on third round in winners which is kinda impossible to avoid with only four pools that big. I don't remember how you placed in your pool but it was obviously the biggest factor.

The other option for brackets was to keep a 16 man bracket but we felt it would be too strict to let only four players in each pool to advance as we knew very little about the swedish people's skill level. That said, many so called upsets also happened which lead to a bracket we could not have predicted.

All your critique is still appreciated, I hope to make things better next time when you're around :]

Samochan

Smash Master
I have to say that uh, "traditional" fashion of seeding brackets is outdated and horredous and I don't want to ever experience it again if I can avoid it. We've had much, much better brackets than that and it doesn't take much effort to make one, like kellarismash 3. We even had foreigners on that one too.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
It is or could very well be used in every single competitive game known to man and is completely neutral, it is up to the players how they place in pools. Of course the bracket won't please people if the pools seeding was not as it should be.

Samochan

Smash Master
It is or could very well be used in every single competitive game known to man and is completely neutral, it is up to the players how they place in pools. Of course the bracket won't please people if the pools seeding was not as it should be.
When was the last time, excluding this tourney, that we even used traditional seeding method? >_>

Like , pools stuck together in one part of the bracket. I can't even recall since brackets have often been fairly good. But it might be that due to our usage of 16 man bracket, it hasn't been as noticeable as it was on a bigger one.

Vurky

k
NNID
Vurkyzo
Skinutski: We didn't play so much, but we had a good time regardless. Your King Dedede is insane, and I like your style and personality. Too bad we didn't do any friendlies, but I'll get you next time! ;)
Do I have right if I say that I was the only one who took a game from you?
Nope, you weren't the only one ^^

I was playing against Skinutski second round and abit after that against Schwa. I don't get why you people are complaining so much about the bracket. >__>

Loota

Smash Journeyman
I have always thought we had been using that method but that doesn't really matter. Of course we can make it in other ways if we feel like it and possibly get an even better bracket but there is no question that the "traditional" fashion is completely neutral if pool seedings were done right.

Samochan

Smash Master
I have always thought we have been using that method but that doesn't really matter. Of course we can make it in other ways if we feel like it and possibly get an even better bracket but there is no question that the "traditional" fashion is completely neutral if pool seedings were done right.
I can't really agree to it being neutral. It does in fact give advantages to the players whom beat others in their pools. They have beaten this one player and thus know they can and know how, while the other player faces uncertainty and just the psychological aspect of their earleir encounter can account to another loss. Sure you might say "winner deserves it, cause they're better player" and the other player could try again to beat this player, fair game and everything, but it's always better to face a new player in the bracket than old one. Re-meetings on bracket have always been discouraged and been tried to avoid as much as possible. Besides getting to face new players in bracket instead of same old pool players is much better experience wise.

Upsets happen on pools, so it's impossible to make them "completely right" and with this traditional seeding method, bracket would be blown to hell in any case. We've seen even peki not getting 1st on his own pool occasionally. We've done many good brackets without using this traditional method, with little trouble, so I don't see why we should not use a method that's better. With so many people griping about the bracket, it can't be all that good.

I checked the tampora 1 bracket seeds and the upper part of the bracket was following: (1st pool, then seed)

Neukku - - - 1.1
Bye

Hippieetu - 2.6
Jabi - - - - -3.3

Best - - - - 4.2
Bye

Heplo - - - - 3.5
Hopo - - - - -2.4

32 bracket, even with 8 pools and 32 people instead of 4 and 24 people should work quite in the same way.

Paju

Smash Journeyman
I have to say that uh, "traditional" fashion of seeding brackets is outdated and horredous and I don't want to ever experience it again if I can avoid it. We've had much, much better brackets than that and it doesn't take much effort to make one, like kellarismash 3. We even had foreigners on that one too.
Umm... KellariSmash 3 had bracket like this:

This bracket is made with the EXACTLY same logic as the bracket used in Tampora 2. Only difference in this bracket is that the pairs 12-21 and 9-24 has changed places for some reason (I didn't make the bracket so I don't know why only those pairs where switched. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we had swedes there. That however is okey because the players are on relative same skill level.) Also if I remember correctly, the Muhos tournament bracket was also made by using the exact same logic.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
One advice for next time hosting a tournament, be clear with how far/long matches will be played in the tournament!
Possibly by having a shedule in the first post with all the info needed, playing bracket matches at 2AM is something I believe noone was expecting, especially when next tournament was gonna start at 10AM.

And the brackets could have used some more work.

Paju

Smash Journeyman
I also checked Tampora 1 bracket and that was like this:

There the basic idea is same as in Tampora 2 bracket. Only difference is that the pairs who don't have bye on first round have switched places. That resulted so that there was no chance that players from same pools could face on winner's round 2 (and that would've only been happening if somenone "who wasn't supposed" to win would've win.) BUT that did add chance of people from same pool meeting at the first round of loser's which also did happen with the pairs Hopo-udikku and Heplo-Zlazher (because Heplo won Hopo "which he wasn't supposed to do"). Needles to say that that is also very bad thing to happen.

bËst^

Smash Journeyman
K

>__>

10 chars.

Ja ite ku kelasin notta neukku kuuluis omihinki kavereihin mutta jos poraa vihamiestenki kaa niin mistäpä tässä enää mitää tietää *__*

(I didn't make the bracket so I don't know why only those pairs where switched. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we had swedes there. That however is okey because the players are on relative same skill level.
As far as I know:

I think we have used this method just to avoid a bit that factor that got lots of critic at the moment: making it more unlikely that top seeds of the same pools faces each other early on bracket. It includes no standard logic why that has been done, but we've done that several times so far. It causes no harms on seedings, it just shuffles the bracket a little bit.

Paju

Smash Journeyman
As far as I know:

I think we have used this method just to avoid a bit that factor that got lots of critic at the moment: making it more unlikely that top seeds of the same pools faces each other early on bracket. It includes no standard logic why that has been done, but we've done that several times so far. It causes no harms on seedings, it just shuffles the bracket a little bit.
Yeah that's good thing and I totally agree same could've been done with this bracket also. But according to this:

Most ranting seems to be coming from the seeding of the bracket, I used the numbers Paju just posted and just put the pool seeds in order according to the corresponding number with bËst and asked Armada to look at it, and he changed pepito's and nipi's place, so it's kinda dumb to say that I didn't ask anyone to help with the seeding of the bracket since I know I could've not done it by myself. Paju gave me those seeding numbers he just posted way before the tournament, and Armada approved with those.
RTpmwe didn't just know how to do it and Armada and you weren't willing to change anything expect pepito's and nipi's place so I see no reason why everyone is bashing the "biased" brackets so much. Yes there could've been made little improvements, but atleast I'm pleased with it the way it was. And if that is true what RTpmwe said, I really wouldn't bash him so much when bËst and Armada also didn't change the seeds when they had chance to do so.

Schwa

Smash Apprentice
Nope, you weren't the only one ^^

I was playing against Skinutski second round and abit after that against Schwa. I don't get why you people are complaining so much about the bracket. >__>
Oh yeah, Vurky played like a beast vs Skinutski, it was really close.

Pep1to

Smash Journeyman
Playing brawl late and waking up 10 am wasnt a problem, in fact we should be thankful that we even got to play brawl.

Though one thing that sucked *** was not having brakes between tourneys in the afternoon, so people just leaved for like 2 hours to go and eat and the bracket got hella delayed, like wtf me and IVP got to winners finals while Armada and Aniolas had just played round 1 >_>.

We played winners finals at like 1 am and GF at like 2 or 3, IVP and me where hella pissed and tired.

Top Bottom