• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Tales of a Manakete: the Corrin Video Archives~

D

Deleted member 189823

Watch them, you lazy ****. They're awesome.

And 5-****ing-seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nah

Smash Champion
Here's recent footage of an uncommon MU, just so we have something for this:

idk if it more showcases how you wanna do the matchup or more showcases Robin's problems tho lol

Nah

Smash Champion
The Smash Wii U Youtube uploader thing stopped working for me months ago for some reason, but then today I just remembered that I could try using my phone to record and upload video.

So I did:

The first one is from a few weeks ago, the second one is from today. The video quality is not good cuz phone, and the audio is hard to hear, but when you turn it up you can hear what I assume is either the fish-tanks or the rain outside alongside the game sounds.

so here is me and my garbage play, plz critique frens

D

Deleted member 189823

'ey, who gives a ****. Whatever works, fam.

So, first thing I noticed- holy ****, a Corrin that walks. I like that. I can appreciate it, because it means taking a step back, in patience. But, with that said, there's also such thing as being too passive- I also see you weren't taking full advantage of your good, quick defensive options as much. Like, you sit in shield too much. You could Jab more (D-Tilt is really good, like I've seen you use it). I see you also do SH N-air (which people aren't using at all, but they really should)- but I also feel they were a little randy. Like, they're pretty good OoS (retreating or for cross-ups), otherwise, just F-air, which leads to my next point- you aren't F-air'ing enough. But when you do, they seem really green. Like, they should feel like you're giving it a purpose, since they can actually be pretty punishable (your F-air are too high and poorly-spaced). Work on these, they're gold. Out of a FF or rising/retreating ones. Same with B-air, though more sparingly. I also notice that while you don't roll, I can't help but feel you have a panic spotdodge/airdodge habit. Airdodge, definitely. Like, you didn't really get capitilalised on this, but it's definitely (and even worse against people who do know how to punish this.

obligatory column

I also saw a ****ton of ****ty Counters. I assumed they were intended to be Pins (hey, happens), then I only came to the conclusion it was for the TINK MU (which still isn't worth the 30-or-so frames of endlag).

So, okay, small nitpicking aside, I notice you generally have a habit of either jumping into something due to poor spacing, or just staying too passive and not even empathizing on it. I like that you don't seem to mindlessly Pin, but even so, I'd tell you to use it a little more than you do. Also, replace Jab/D-Tilt for F-air or even Pin (but not enough that you're killing at 160 with it). Your grabs were nice, but also lookout, because you missed a few.

"Cliffs":

- Work on your auto-cancelled aerials
- Avoid panic spotdodges/airdodge. Corrin can actually afford to attack, 90% of the time (the other, you're probably Cloud/Rosalina/Links' U-air)
- Only use Counter when you're absolutely sure it'll land
- Use a lot less B. I don't entirely disagree with these, but ought to recognize it kind of sucks in neutral.
- Move more. Liek, not like me more, but just a lot more than sitting in shield. Like, give yourself breathing room. Jump away and/or do a retreating aerial. Dash Shield. Just avoid rolling.
I do this thing where I jump out and then back in, whether it'd be for an aerial or to mindgame people into stuff. For example. I look for this a lot in the sword-character MUs. Like, I'm not great at it, but I'm definitely improving upon it. It seems to have insane potential, especially when you mix it in with Corrin's great Dash shield & fox-throt.

Nah

Smash Champion
Yeah the Counters in that one were intentional. Normally don't counter quite so much. Kept thinking he'd throw **** at me and I could do that but nope. Probably should've stopped after the like 2nd time it didn't work but....

Thanks though, this is more than I was expecting

D

Deleted member 189823

I apologize for the wall of text. I'm not particularly good at categorizing and organizing these things, but I also try to highlight specific patterns, rather than second-by-second (some people do that).

With that said, I got homework. I owe a few critiques, here and there.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Yeah the Counters in that one were intentional. Normally don't counter quite so much. Kept thinking he'd throw **** at me and I could do that but nope. Probably should've stopped after the like 2nd time it didn't work but....

Thanks though, this is more than I was expecting
Quick pro tip on counters. Think of them as an airdodge that can be punished harder because it lasts longers. Take note of when your opponents attack you on the ground more than in the air. Platforms are good for this, since most people may try to double aerial to catch OOS movement. For aerial counters, only throw them out when three conditions are met:
  1. You're opponent is at death percent
  2. He's been consistently attacking you in this spot and not trying to bait out airdodges
  3. You're not in a position where you can be heavily punished for it.
  4. Examples of bad positions:
  • if Cloud has limit and you're above 60%
  • You're close enough to the ground or a platform for a smash attack punish
  • You're playing against a character that has a super strong aerial move, such as Captain Falcon
  • When you're at death percent to certain aerials, such as 150% against ZSS up air

Nah

Smash Champion
I apologize for the wall of text. I'm not particularly good at categorizing and organizing these things, but I also try to highlight specific patterns, rather than second-by-second (some people do that).
nah the wall of text is fine

D

Deleted member 189823

That's actually pretty ****ing cool, the extra possibilities. I jump a lot, so this is gold.

-Arc-

Smash Rookie
Glad someone saw this! I've been labbing this preeetty hard and there are a lot of possibilities. I'm in the process of making a video for us so players can see the many applications. I'll post the video as soon as it is done so we can discuss this!

TunpaaG

Smash Rookie
NNID
TunpaaG
Tippers are deadly :) Me vs a random Lucas player on FG. He was pritty good.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Been awhile, caught up with life matters. I'm pretty behind with Smash in general, so I have quite a bit to catch up, particularly if the meta's progressed. Anyway, I've done some updates:

@Oz I really appreciate you taking the time to critique the various videos posted here. They are actually pretty insightful. I may post my basic Corrin here sometime to get some feedback from you. Also, you left a message on my wall saying 'you won' but you never said anything more. I'm assuming tourney? If so, post up some replays so I can add them o:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

YES
AFTER OVER TWO DAMN MONTHS

OUT OF THE ****ING OVEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnxLgIMZgrU (vs. :lucas:; same person I fought in GFs previous tournament)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5vXBzgKI4 (vs. :4greninja:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOQtHaol3ss (vs. :peachmelee:)

Stuff:

Noticed a **** ton of D-airs in my set against Peach
Funny, I basically don't roll, like, ever. 50% of those were misinputs.

McGyverAC McGyverAC Mocha Mocha @OceloT42

which reminds me, I'll try my best to getting to others' sets. It's fun to try and help. So, no problem.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
YES

OUT OF THE ****ING OVEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnxLgIMZgrU (vs. :lucas:; same person I fought in GFs previous tournament)

Stuff:

which reminds me, I'll try my best to getting to others' sets. It's fun to try and help. So, no problem.
Updated the thread with a name tab for you with those videos.

vs :4greninja: : You had such a strong start game 1, but when Greninja gained his momentum, you seemed to struggle. Be careful when Greninja is about mid range from you, because he wants a dash grab (never standing grab, that crap's so many frames). In general Greninja up close is pretty eh for him, other than jab, and that can be punished too. I suggest using more Dragon Lunge to catch his landings, and juggle the hell out of him in the air. He can actually have a hard time landing vs Corrin, being a fast faller and having rather telegraphed aerials/requires precision compared to the lingering hitboxes of like Corrin's nair/up air.

I also felt like you gave him too much space at times, or maybe you were uncomfortable with the shuriken pressure. When you're in kill percents, Greninjas like to Dtilt > Fair. Sometimes it's true, other times a 50/50. Air dodge/DI toward him if possible, unless he reads your DI, but he probably won't do that on the first attempt.

vs :4lucas: I loved your mobility here, and in general. Good stuff at keeping alive for so long on your second stock and not overly committing to anything. Hell you barely got grabbed, and that's what Lucas capitalizes on. Game 2 you displayed all of this more, and kept on the pressure. I think your occasional fsmashes were getting you punished, and you were safer with bair/fair spacing. Male Corrin counterpick ftw :p

This Lucas really liked his air dodges, and air dodge > fair stuff. Loved the fsmash read tech chase at game 3.

vs :4peach: All that really stood out to me was whenever Peach had you offstage/was edgeguarding you, you had a really hard time getting back. Like you even mixed up your get ups, but Peach had an answer to everything, that looked annoying lol. Game 3 that turnip did like 80+ damage to you + her combos. She needs to chill.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

I appreciate the feedback.
On Peach, he's actually our best player. It is pretty funny that I actually constantly mixed it up, and he kept covering those (like wtflol). He's surprisingly good at that...and now I kind of know why he preferred going Peach in the MU. Despite the ****ty D-airs, that was one of my favorites.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Updated the thread with a name tab for you with those videos.

vs :4greninja: : You had such a strong start game 1, but when Greninja gained his momentum, you seemed to struggle. Be careful when Greninja is about mid range from you, because he wants a dash grab (never standing grab, that crap's so many frames). In general Greninja up close is pretty eh for him, other than jab, and that can be punished too. I suggest using more Dragon Lunge to catch his landings, and juggle the hell out of him in the air. He can actually have a hard time landing vs Corrin, being a fast faller and having rather telegraphed aerials/requires precision compared to the lingering hitboxes of like Corrin's nair/up air.

I also felt like you gave him too much space at times, or maybe you were uncomfortable with the shuriken pressure. When you're in kill percents, Greninjas like to Dtilt > Fair. Sometimes it's true, other times a 50/50. Air dodge/DI toward him if possible, unless he reads your DI, but he probably won't do that on the first attempt.

vs :4lucas: I loved your mobility here, and in general. Good stuff at keeping alive for so long on your second stock and not overly committing to anything. Hell you barely got grabbed, and that's what Lucas capitalizes on. Game 2 you displayed all of this more, and kept on the pressure. I think your occasional fsmashes were getting you punished, and you were safer with bair/fair spacing. Male Corrin counterpick ftw :p

This Lucas really liked his air dodges, and air dodge > fair stuff. Loved the fsmash read tech chase at game 3.

vs :4peach: All that really stood out to me was whenever Peach had you offstage/was edgeguarding you, you had a really hard time getting back. Like you even mixed up your get ups, but Peach had an answer to everything, that looked annoying lol. Game 3 that turnip did like 80+ damage to you + her combos. She needs to chill.
Hi Mocha

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I appreciate the feedback.
On Peach, he's actually our best player. It is pretty funny that I actually constantly mixed it up, and he kept covering those (like wtflol). He's surprisingly good at that...and now I kind of know why he preferred going Peach in the MU. Despite the ****ty D-airs, that was one of my favorites.
No problem, keep it up, looking forward to seeing more of you! Yeah, he should get out there more too, as I hear very little of Peach players, save for like Meru, Samsora, Kyo, and SlayerZ.

Hello fellow Houstonian

Last edited:

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
YES

OUT OF THE ****ING OVEN

Stuff:

*cracks knuckles
Vs Smashu
Did he just up smash to combo break???
You f smashed a lot here as well, and Lucas can punish you, since his grab is very long
Vs Lucas, going for two frames or trying to catch him on the ledge is a bad idea. It's better to wait in shield for whatever option he'll pick (usually jump or roll from tether recoveries). The only times you need to go offstage vs Lucas is when his back is to the stage, so he can't tether, when he does a down b to turn himself a round (not reactable, you have to call out it, but most of them will use it to turn themselves around to tether to the ledge) or when he's too far away from the ledge to tether. At that point, to far away = pin, back to the ledge equals pin, bair, or counter (he can avoid the counter by going high, but you can react to that prior to countering) or when he does the b reverse, pin. I bring this up because you sat on ledge and waited for him to recover with up b.
You missed a lot of punishes on his airdodges.

Rip Corrin's platform comboes 6:20

Smashu certainly likes FF nair into up tilt

So the Greninja match....
what happened there?
you started off so well!
You were doing a lot of unsafe DFS, you missed a lot of punishes, your pins were very off.
you also did run away f smash a lot, and while that covered roll a couple times, it also made you very predictable, and made the option weaker since you went for it so often.
On a side note vs Greninjas, if they get knocked offstage, they sometimes have a tendency to use shadow sneak to recover and to hit the opponent if they over commit. Vs Greninja, it's better to wait on stage and try to bait it out, then hard punish it. It's impossible to actually tell if the Greninja will do it offstage, since there is no visible shadow for you to see, but if you see him just drifting over to the stage, there's a good chance he's about to use it. Counter would work as well, but you have to call it out hard.
If you see a Greninja charging the Water Shuriken, depending on the distance you can hop over it and get a pin.
You also got caught by a lot of up airs, and he noticed that you weren't airdodging.

Over all I also noticed you missing a lot of b reverses for charge shots, some rather unsafe Dragon Lunges and unsafe kicks, and too many f smash.
Other than that, crisp as always.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
figure that people might be interested in seeing this, thread needs some life anyway:

Cosmos 3-0 ZeRo at a big-name tournament

Last edited:
Top Bottom