• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
If it so happens that Ace Attorney doesn't even get spirits, could we even hope for Phoenix making it in to the next game over his competition?
Seems unlikely at that point tbh. There is much more priority for other things, AA doesn't really resonate with Nintendo it seems.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Well boys, the miracle never happen. But a lawyer never gives up. When Smash 6 arrives, I will be there rooting for Phoenix again.

I mean, unless I die first. That's always a possibility.

amageish

Smash Master
the count on spirits with the note saying "as of September 2021" makes me wonder if it was worded that way just in preparation for the KH spirits board, or if they'll at least plan to carry on supporting the game through spirit events, tourneys and (hopefully) balance patches. Probably reading too much into it though.
I think this makes sense. If nothing else, spirits are a good way to promote new games and continue to expand the crossover... I do also think it is possibly TGAA will have a gift spirit event like Ghosts and Goblins did.

Well, it's been an interesting ride! Even if Smash hasn't worked out this time around, TGAA's release and reception does give me a fair amount of hope for the future of the series in general and that's really what I care about most at the end of the day - Ace Attorney games continuing to actually be localized.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hoping for an AA spirit event and for our boy to make it in next game. I'm satisfied, happy even, and have enjoyed every second of the ride.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
The mii costume showcase was our last hope of seeing him in Ultimate but his chances for the next Smash game have never looked better imo

Although Nick will have to compete with Monster Hunter and Dante all over again, Square and Microsoft have shown that multiple characters from 3rd party companies are still possible, even with DLC. I'm confident Mr. Wright will his raise an objection in Smash one day.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The mii costume showcase was our last hope of seeing him in Ultimate but his chances for the next Smash game have never looked better imo

Although Nick will have to compete with Monster Hunter and Dante all over again, Square and Microsoft have shown that multiple characters from 3rd party companies are still possible, even with DLC. I'm confident Mr. Wright will his raise an objection in Smash one day.
Agreed! Ace Attorney is still a series that is alive and well, and as you said everyone wants to get into Smash now. I think he definitely could make it in the future. No sadness here, only fond memories.

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet
As disappointed I am I ultimately feel the most bad for the Dark souls rep fans, that trailer fit way better for Dark souls than Sora

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
A great finale and a very pleasing character, unfortunately still a very sad end for the Phoenix gang... it's really disappointing that there is not a single representation of Ace Attorney in Smash at all, not even a spirit event... no Pursuit Cornered... no mii costume... nothing...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's fine to cry now, at least the final fighter's a pretty big deal. And the funny thing is that his custom icon was on my sig once, so I don't regret much of anything.

I was pretty sure that Capcom would miss out on the DLC boat this time anyways, but at least AA is making a resurgence, so Nick can have a chance next time.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
As for the last fighter, I don't really care for him, but my bar was so low I'm just glad it wasn't a Pokemon/FE self insert tier reveal. I don't want to know the nightmare it must have been to get the proper rights to add him in.
Pretty much my thoughts as well
Im not exactly excited it was him, I'm more like "relieved" it wasn't anyone worse

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Not a fan of Kingdom Heart. In fact, I hate this IP but since a lot of people wanted him he is a good choice to end smash. I got my most wanted (King Rool) in Ultimate after more than 10 years of wanting so its cool to know more people can experience this feeling.

That saying...I'm a bit salty about the trailer (not the character) cause I FREAKING BELIEVED WE WERE GETTING A DARK SOULS REP!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

For Pheonix I'm confident for the next Smash Bros. Ace Attorney is making a slow but confident come back with the success of the trilogy.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
This is genuinely one of the only straight up disappointments I have with SSBU. Phoenix didn't need to be a fighter, but any sort of acknowledgement would have been good. The Ace Attorney series is such a Nintendo staple, going back 20 years and being exclusive to Nintendo until very recently. It was one of the most popular titles on the DS when they finally came over to the states, but it gets paid nothing in this big celebration. 😔 But oh well, there'll be another Smash down the line, and Capcom seems like they're willing to throw a lot at this franchise. I think it's a matter of "when" and not "if" friends! For now I've at least got the GAA Chronicles to gush over.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I say not just Phoenix. but Capcom just didn't get any new series rep in the whole Smash 5 round.
I don't mean they need to get one, but I'm curious why Square can just add so many on the other side when Capcom, which has a giant load of great franchises, got none.

For Phoenix specifically, I think his actual crisis is the absence from the latest Capcom VS title. I say he really needs to ensure a recurring seat in Capcom allstars to ensure that Nintendo will also recruit him.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Happy anniversary Ace Attorney (well, it is in Australia and Japan)! There's new art to celebrate but it's zoomed out since they wanna sell it, not sure when we'll get a better look at both.

Very nice art, though obviously it'd be more exciting to see better images of them... I do like how the TGAA includes the cats hanging around - it's funny to see them there without Natsume himself.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
There's a website up, too :D

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Hard to believe Ace Attorney as a series is now 20 years old. By the way just passing by since I know these sides of the boards are closing down soon, so I thought I'd just pop by for a brief reflection. (Also that twitter comic is now my personal headcanon - Phoenix Wright was the one who helped Sora through all the legal difficulties to get into Smash Bros.)

As much as Phoenix is my number one most wanted character for Smash and how amazing it would've been to have him be the final character, I've been using this word a lot to describe Sora, but there really is something magical about him being the final character and THE most wanted fighter from the Ballot. So if I had to trade my most wanted characters like Phoenix, Kiryu and Doomguy at the very end just to have Sora take me by complete surprise and amazement, then I would be satisfied with that outcome. Of course that means Phoenix's wrights chances of being in Smash Ultimate are gone forever now, but maybe in a future game. If there ever is a future Smash game.

That said, I still love Ace Attorney to this day and once I clear more games in my backlog, I am definitely booting up The Great Ace Attorney. I never thought those games would ever get localised, but here we are with Herlock Sholmes (which is an amazing translation gag in and of itself).
So here's to the future of Ace Attorney!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I guess this is my first, and last, post in this thread. I never really spoke up about it here at least, but Phoenix would have been great. I do hope he can make it next time. I’m oddly optimistic of his chances for next time too

tfw the transparency is a lie

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I highly recommend playing this music while you read this post:

It's been a pleasure supporting Phoenix Wright for both Smash 4 and Ultimate. The amount of support Phoenix Wright has obtained over time is pretty unbelievable, with the Smash 4 thread only having five pages worth of posts. Before the Ace Attorney trilogy first released on Switch, this thread was only around page 21. The Ace Attorney games mean so much to me, and the outpouring of support for Phoenix Wright towards the end of Smash Ultimate was something I would have never dreamed of back when I wanted him in Smash 4. I know for a fact that the support is only going to go up from here.

The reason Phoenix Wright is my most wanted character comes down to a lot of factors. Of course, the Ace Attorney games are some of my favorite games of all time. The characters are very likeable, the stories are well-written and keep you guessing, the music is fantastic, and the gameplay is great for rewarding reading comprehension and memorization. Phoenix Wright himself is also a very relatable character, with how he always feel like he's climbing an uphill battle, yet how he keeps everything in perspective and goes step-by-step. This fits in with how I view the competitive Smash community. As someone who attends Smash tournaments, I love the feeling of causing an upset in bracket, and Phoenix Wright embodies that struggle perfectly.

It's been really cool seeing everyone's ideas for Ace Attorney content in Smash over the years. Moveset ideas like collecting evidence, ladder/step-ladders, The Thinker statue, desk slamming, and the "Objection!" speech bubble would all be cool to see in-game. A lot of people came up with costume ideas as well, like Darling Feenie, hobo Phoenix, alts representing his Dual Destinies appearance, and even Furio Tigre. I also remember when people thought Apollo Justice or Miles Edgeworth could be Phoenix's echo fighter, before Ultimate released. Not to mention the song list ideas that people created, and wither certain games like the two Investigations or The Great Ace Attorneys would get music represented as well. The only thing I'm really surprised about is that Ace Attorney got no spirits whatsoever. At first, we all thought that was a good sign, but we eventually found out that we got the short end of the stick.

Regardless of Phoenix's shortcomings with his chances, it actually feels like the Ace Attorney franchise could come out stronger than ever. We finally got The Great Ace Attorney 1 and 2 officially localized after a long five year wait, something that I was convinced would never happen. The Ace Attorney trilogy has been a resounding success, with many new fans joining the franchise thanks to its release. We also got some cool stuff in recent years, like the First4Figures Phoenix Wright statue, an online 2021 Ace Attorney concert, the infamous Ace Attorney anime along with a dub, and a website to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Ace Attorney. If anything, it feels like Capcom is aware that Ace Attorney's fanbase is growing. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is also notable for being the first Ace Attorney game released on physical media outside of Japan since Ace Attorney Investigations 1 on the DS, besides the Level-5 published Professor Layton crossover. I guarantee it won't be the last physical release either.

Besides wanting to main Phoenix Wright, my ultimate goal for wanting him in Smash was for more recognition for the Ace Attorney series. After seeing how franchises like Persona, Dragon Quest, and King of Fighters became more well-known and respected after their characters got into Smash, it made me want Phoenix Wright even more. While you don't need your game to be represented in Smash to feel validated, the publicity Smash gives is a really good feeling. Regardless of the fact that Phoenix Wright didn't get in, I've noticed that a lot more people have seemed to acknowledge him in general. For example, GameXplain created an extensive look at what Phoenix in Smash could bring to the table, and PapaGenos took Phoenix as a more serious possiblity the longer Smash Ultimate DLC went on for. With how Phoenix Wright eventually became a popular character to talk about in Smash speculation, hopefully it encourages more people in general to check out his franchise, regardless if he got in at the end of the day or not. Ace Attorney is a fantastic franchise, one that I feel like everyone should try at least once. As long as there's more interest in the Ace Attorney franchise in general, I'll be happy regardless.

Thanks again everyone, for supporting Phoenix Wright in Smash. Regardless if you've been wanting him in since Brawl, or just found out who he was within the past year, thank you all for demonstrating how much these games mean to us. Phoenix Wright is the last character I want in Smash that I would actually main, so I will continue to support him well into the next Smash game. It's been a pleasure speculating about Phoenix Wright on SmashBoards, and this will be my last post in this current thread. With that said, the only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over. While Smash Ultimate as we know it is completed, this is just the beginning of Phoenix Wright's journey to join Smash. So instead, in the worst of times, we have to force our biggest smiles. The miracle can happen. Until next time!

80-PWimage28.png

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Sad that Phoenix didn't make it into this game, but I'll always be holding out hope for the next one.

Until that day comes, I'm happy to have supported him, and I'm happy to have done it with all of you.

Here's hoping the turnabout comes next game.

ezgif-4-835acda9ca55.gif

'Til next we reconvene, my dear fellows.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

A lawyer's only allowed to cry when it's all over, but despite not getting The Good Lad Nick, as others have said, we're in a good position as a fanbase regardless of Smash, while GAA1 is one of the weakest entries in the series for me, it's still a miracle we got the duology which led me to replay the entire series and even try the Investigations games. Not to mention I managed to get 5 of my friends hooked on the series so word of mouth is helping a lot, our future looks bright.

Oh, and as the Newcomer Speculation section is getting closed, I have been informed we all have to pay 5000 bucks per post to the staff. Now, say that oh so iconic catchphrase together everyone!

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I know I joked about “the miracle never happen” if he didn’t get in, but tbh it doesn’t feel like that to me. I am a bit bummed about no Smash content, but the franchise is doing pretty well right now. GAA1&2 getting localized was a dream come true, and those games along with the main series replay I’ve been doing have reignited my passion for this franchise and all its lovable characters.

It’s been fun theorizing about Nick with all of you. Hopefully next time around, Phoenix will have his chance!

Top Bottom