• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

amageish

Smash Master
I think, when all is said and done, everyone will have their own version of "It's odd X has no content whatsoever," as there are just... so many games associated with Nintendo but owned by third parties. Things like Crypt of the Necrodancer, Mystery Dungeon, and Dynasty Warriors have full-on Nintendo concept crossovers for their series and have nothing in Smash (well, AoC has spirits, but DW itself does not)... There's always going to be some oddities.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator

These words from Sakurai don't hurt the chances for Phoenix - he would be a character that not everyone knows and might be different from people's expectations. Only one day remaining, I can't believe we nearly reached the end!

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet

These words from Sakurai don't hurt the chances for Phoenix - he would be a character that not everyone knows and might be different from people's expectations. Only one day remaining, I can't believe we nearly reached the end!
There's a crucial detail that's missing tho, he didn't say that in both languages like his last tweets about the direct were. it's only in reply to the japanese tweet so far. I think that indicates it's a western rep or at least someone that's popular in the west but not in Japan like little Mac was.
sadly if this true I don't think it's Phoenix

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
There's a crucial detail that's missing tho, he didn't say that in both languages like his last tweets about the direct were. it's only in reply to the japanese tweet so far. I think that indicates it's a western rep or at least someone that's popular in the west but not in Japan like little Mac was.
sadly if this true I don't think it's Phoenix
That's true, but maybe he wasn't sure how to write it in English and decided against it in order to avoid possible misinterpretations. Even within Japan Phoenix Wright is not super popular (the Ace Attorney sales are not the greatest) and not everyone knows him... it could still apply to him.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think that these tweets are important but that you can't glean a lot from them. I agree that Phoenix could be it, but it could also mean we're looking at a Western character like Gordon Freeman or Master Chief, for example, or even a generally obscure but influential character such as a Nihon-Falcom rep. Heck, for all we know they're putting in James Bond. It's all so exciting!

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Regardless of the language, the sentiment behind the tweet is veering quite close to the disclaimer that Sakurai gave before Byleth's reveal during the Byleth presentation (you only saw the disclaimer if you caught it live; the upload of the Presents cut it out)... So, uh, I think it's best if the community just tempers expectations as a whole, as I don't know if it can be reverse-engineered from this...

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of the language, the sentiment behind the tweet is veering quite close to the disclaimer that Sakurai gave before Byleth's reveal during the Byleth presentation (you only saw the disclaimer if you caught it live; the upload of the Presents cut it out)... So, uh, I think it's best if the community just tempers expectations as a whole, as I don't know if it can be reverse-engineered from this...
I actually mentioned that in the speculation thread but it seems like people don't see the similarities between the statements. I guess a lot of this stuff is just interpretation when it comes down to it.

amageish

Smash Master
I actually mentioned that in the speculation thread but it seems like people don't see the similarities between the statements. I guess a lot of this stuff is just interpretation when it comes down to it.
Oh? I have kind of avoided general speculation spaces lately, but I am a bit surprised people don't see a parallel there... Well, we'll see what happens. I'm not expecting tomorrow to be a fun day to exist on social media during though...

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I always thought it was likely we were going to end off Smash with a 1st party character that no one was predicting but makes perfect sense in hindsight like Byleth. The additional comment telling people it might not be the character they know or even wanted only adds to the parallels.

That being said.... this is the last Smash reveal we'll get to experience for who knows how long. So just for today I'm gonna allow myself to be hyped at the possibility of everyone's favorite lawyer being the final character for Smash.

smash bros final battle.jpg

phoenix wright final battle.jpg

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
sakurais staements are starting to sound more and more like inkblot tests

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I know this is for sure the last character because its been stated as such no less than 10 times but my dream scenario would've been that during the CP11 presents, after Sakurai says its the last character, there is an objection and it cuts to Phoenix in a court room with a text box saying something about more fighters being invited and Phoenix is revealed as the first character in pass 3. Again, I know this isnt happening and CP11 is for sure the end but I just wanted to share my alternate reality dream scenario

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
I am a bit surprised people don't see a parallel there...
This.
-The character is both first revealed and showcased by Sakurai in the same video, rather than first revealed and then explained on a separate date
-Last character (which is usually reserved for 1st party advertisement picks)
-Smash-specific direct, not a major event like E3 or the Awards (They could have easily held CP11 off until then in this case, and with byleth they had even recorded his showcase on November, the month prior to the game awards, but postponed its broadcast to 2020)
-Sakurai pretty much warning us beforehand that the character is "not that popular", as if he's trying to lower our expectations

Adding to that the fact that Phoenix is currently pretty much the only realistic Capcom candidate, but nothing rules out a 1st party pick, and this entire situation feels extremely familiar

TheRebornExpert

Smash Rookie
I always thought it was likely we were going to end off Smash with a 1st party character that no one was predicting but makes perfect sense in hindsight like Byleth. The additional comment telling people it might not be the character they know or even wanted only adds to the parallels.

That being said.... this is the last Smash reveal we'll get to experience for who knows how long. So just for today I'm gonna allow myself to be hyped at the possibility of everyone's favorite lawyer being the final character for Smash.

View attachment 333043
View attachment 333044
Well said.

TheRebornExpert

Smash Rookie
Ok then, only about 3 hours left for the event. I'm still believing that our BOI, Phoenix, will be the last fighter announced. We just gotta believe, so everyone give me your energy to make the DREAM come true!

TheRebornExpert

Smash Rookie
As I mentioned there's still some time left before the event, so I'm going to sleep a bit. See you all in about 3 hours or so!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Here's hoping for the best. If nothing else, a costume or spirits would be nice. There are any number of characters it could be so I don't think I'll be too broken up if it isn't Phoenix because he's just one in a million. But if it is, I'll be delighted.

Either way, it's been one hell of a ride and I'm glad I could share it with you all.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
People have been saying "Phoenix should yell OBJECTION! when we think there's no more characters" for a decade, to the point where it's probably the main reason some people want him in at all. How many of them even know that objections aren't actually used for fakeouts in the original series?

Not denying that it would be completely epic.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
People have been saying "Phoenix should yell OBJECTION! when we think there's no more characters" for a decade, to the point where it's probably the main reason some people want him in at all. How many of them even know that objections aren't actually used for fakeouts in the original series?

Not denying that it would be completely epic.
Im not sure if you were referring to me bringing up that idea again but Im definitely familiar with and have played the games

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
We're in the endgame now

Whoever it is.... welp... at least we got decent odds for the next game.
I'll take a Mii at this point (though it is sad that a hypothetical Mii wouldn't bring any music included), I just hope it's at least someone important, from a game that has history, because if it is another promotion for a yet-to-be-released game, that's gonna be our last memory of smash bros for many years....

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I certainly expected more mii costumes from the final batch, and we only got one 3rd party at that, so that was a shocker. Sad to see Phoenix completely miss out from any representation at all.
As for the last fighter, I don't really care for him, but my bar was so low I'm just glad it wasn't a Pokemon/FE self insert tier reveal. I don't want to know the nightmare it must have been to get the proper rights to add him in.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
I guess at this point our only hope are spirits... which I know there's some people that actually care about those, but personally they mean pretty much nothing for me, it's kinda equivalent to getting no representation at all. Just ugly google images pngs? They don't even have those fancy descriptions the trophies had. Miis are much better consolation prizes imo, it's kinda sad that they won't keep making those either (they are not even part of the FP, they didn't necessarily have to be tied with the characters)

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
the count on spirits with the note saying "as of September 2021" makes me wonder if it was worded that way just in preparation for the KH spirits board, or if they'll at least plan to carry on supporting the game through spirit events, tourneys and (hopefully) balance patches. Probably reading too much into it though.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
I guess at this point our only hope are spirits... which I know there's some people that actually care about those, but personally they mean pretty much nothing for me, it's kinda equivalent to getting no representation at all. Just ugly google images pngs? They don't even have those fancy descriptions the trophies had. Miis are much better consolation prizes imo, it's kinda sad that they won't keep making those either (they are not even part of the FP, they didn't necessarily have to be tied with the characters)
Reading your message with your profile picture is so perfect lmfao

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
If it so happens that Ace Attorney doesn't even get spirits, could we even hope for Phoenix making it in to the next game over his competition?
I don't know.... it feels so weird that we didn't even get acknowledged at all, I kept assuming that if DMC had some sort of representation, then we'd also get something for sure...

Top Bottom