• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I dont wanna sound pessimistic, but the character being both revealed and explained in the same direct, on a dedicated smash presentation, rather than a special event or something...

Kinda reminds me of byleth... just saying
Alternatively they could have chose to make this one special because it's the last smash reveal?

Otherwise we're looking at one pretty underwhelming fighter, like a Pokémon, a new Mario character or if it's third party Someone like Reimu or Jibanyan

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Alternatively they could have chose to make this one special because it's the last smash reveal?

Otherwise we're looking at one pretty underwhelming fighter, like a Pokémon, a new Mario character or if it's third party Someone like Reimu or Jibanyan
you leave jibanyan alone

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
So uh yeah

Things don't seem like they're building up to a very mainstream/generally hype character

Good thing is, Phoenix isn't exactly mainstream either, so it doesn't harm his chances
On the other hand, it does increase the chances for a Pokémon/Fire Emblem/the guy from SMTV (which are some of the biggest competitors right now) kinda pick

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So uh yeah

Things don't seem like they're building up to a very mainstream/generally hype character

Good thing is, Phoenix isn't exactly mainstream either, so it doesn't harm his chances
On the other hand, it does increase the chances for a Pokémon/Fire Emblem/the guy from SMTV (which are some of the biggest competitors right now) kinda pick
I dont think they would go for a second SMT character after Joker to be honest.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Well bad news would be we lose the surprise element of a potential objection! interrupting the direct (which would be the first thing you think of with phoenix) and it would be after TGS which removes the possible tie-in teaser of AA7 that could have been elaborated on at TGS.

But good news is that it is closer to the anniversary if that matters at all.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, I personally think that the method of announcements means it is someone like Byleth - someone that Nintendo/Sakurai really need to show off the moveset of and highlight that as part of the sales pitch for them, instead of just "Oh, BTW, it's [famous character a tonne of people love]"...

That said, every character is someone's favourite and it is therefore kind of hard to judge what makes a Smash pick big or small lol.

TheRebornExpert

Smash Rookie
I dont wanna sound pessimistic, but the character being both revealed and explained in the same direct, on a dedicated smash presentation, rather than a special event or something...

Kinda reminds me of byleth... just saying
Hopefully that isn't the case. I will literally drink a bottle of bleach if it's another FE character!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Hopefully that isn't the case. I will literally drink a bottle of bleach if it's another FE character!
ehhh there's no new FE on the horizon to believe that, I think the "lamer" safe bet at the time is a gen 8 mon, which I'm doubting it'll be the case.
Whatever the final scenario, my expectations are sort of rock bottom, hopefully it'll at least be a Min-Min level of "I don't really care for this character but I respect their addition none the less".

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
ehhh there's no new FE on the horizon to believe that, I think the "lamer" safe bet at the time is a gen 8 mon, which I'm doubting it'll be the case.
Whatever the final scenario, my expectations are sort of rock bottom, hopefully it'll at least be a Min-Min level of "I don't really care for this character but I respect their addition none the less".
I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to add a Fire Emblem character before their game is even announced lmao given their track record. As long as the game is at least in early development, they've proven that's enough for them

(Also they could still add a character from a previous FE game)

But yeah, I guess a pokémon has the better odds

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to add a Fire Emblem character before their game is even announced lmao given their track record. As long as the game is at least in early development, they've proven that's enough for them

(Also they could still add a character from a previous FE game)
Roy was added before Binding Blade was released, so fair enough.
Still, I doubt they'd reveal whoever is the lead of the next FE before that game in itself is revealed to the public, and if it's a remake, there's a chance it could be of a game that already has a rep, and I doubt they'd make something like Tiki, Lilina, Elincia or so on a new rep.
I agree if the sentiment is to hold low expectations however.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I also blame Pyra and Mythra for making it seem like even footage that looks like DLC can be a character

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
So the presentation will be 40 minutes long... we don't know yet, if the character will be revealed at the very beginning or whether they maybe reveal the mii costumes first in order to maintain the suspense. Imagine them revealing the mii costumes first and some major characters like Rayman and Doom Guy but no Phoenix shows up... my heart rate would skyrocket, followed by either the greatest videogame-related joy moment or the biggest disappointment and emptiness.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Anyone else kinda chuckle each time they say stuff like "the Super Smash Bros Ultimate game" or "the Animal Crossing New Horizons game" and stuff?
It sounds so awkward, as in "not to be confused with the Super Smash Bros Ultimate cereal box" or something
It's one of the most baffling Nintendo Marketing Speak Things that they've implemented...it makes no sense to me and it's always awkward.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
The MH trailer just felt kinda choppy in performance to be Smash related imo, FPS just wasn't as smooth as those, so I wasn't too worried when that was being shown.
Anyone else kinda chuckle each time they say stuff like "the Super Smash Bros Ultimate game" or "the Animal Crossing New Horizons game" and stuff?
It sounds so awkward, as in "not to be confused with the Super Smash Bros Ultimate cereal box" or something
I might be forgetting how Directs were back when Iwata was still the main announcer, but pauses in between games with just stuff with "well, what did you think? we still have more games to announce!" just feel so artificial and awkward in general. It made sense for the Mario movie related news, but for the most part, they feel like a waste of time.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Capcom TGS description: "Catch up on the latest details of the newly announced Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak, as well as news and updates for Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin, courtesy of the development team. "

I really doubt we're getting anything AA. Likely getting the name of Count Dragcula and apparently another tweet mentioned a returning monster trailer.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
The timing would be simply too perfect – TGAAC came out a few weeks ago and the 20th AA anniversary will be on October 12th... tomorrow might be the moment we've all been waiting for... I really think the miracle will happen!

Please please please let it be true – reveal of Phoenix on October 5th and release one week later on October 12th.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
As things are coming to a close, I will say that I will be very sad if nothing Ace Attorney ends up in Ultimate. With all the Capcom representation in the game, Ace Attorney not even getting a spirit event would be disappointing.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I could maybe see TGAA getting a Gift Spirit like Ghost N' Goblins got, assuming AA doesn't get content in other forms... It'd explain why they didn't have a Spirit Event, if they were waiting to have one of those paywall spirits that completionists definitely enjoy and do not have any complaints about! 😅

Flyboy

Smash Hero
By the end of it, if we get a spirit event or costume, I'll be happy. I won't be as happy as I would be if Phoenix was actually playable, of course, but I'd much rather have something. It's crazy how we have Arthur, even, and yet no Ace Attorney stuff.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
yeah, I get Phoenix not becoming a fighter, but having no content and all when unexpected games/franchises like Warframe and Sakuna got spirit events would feel jarring. Then I again, I imagine there's dozens if not hundred of franchises that could say the same (Layton being a good example as mentioned above).

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
The only reason why Layton's current omission isn't as surprising as Phoenix to me is I don't think there is any Level-5 content in Smash yet. I could be not remembering correctly but Capcom has represented a large amount of their series already, except the one that was prominently on Nintendo consoles.

Top Bottom