• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
At this point I've kinda made my peace that Phoenix isn't going to make it.

I know it sounds weird, but I feel like Kazuya was kind of a 'soft' disconfirm for Phoenix. They both have the suit and spikey hair thing, (something Project X Zone even poked fun at) and in a way it would feel kind of weird for them to have two spikey-haired guys in suits back-to-back in this pass... does that make sense at all?

Best case scenario for me is we get a nice Mii costume in the last wave.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
The glitch that lots of people are connecting with Reimu that involves projectiles going through any character's head without damaging them is also still around. Apparently it's not related to Kazuya since this glitch may point to a new mechanic, whereas Kazuya's crouch dash just gives him invulnerability on his upper body.

Assuming that both of these glitches relate to Nick, what could the projectile glitch mean for him? Some weird form of Turnabout Mode where he uses the sheer power of lawyering to pass through projectiles?
Here's a question, why on earth would they use Cloud's Side B as a base for Phoenix's thought bubbles? Come on guys, we're getting dangerously close to fatmanonice levels of delusional.

I know it sounds weird, but I feel like Kazuya was kind of a 'soft' disconfirm for Phoenix. They both have the suit and spikey hair thing, (something Project X Zone even poked fun at) and in a way it would feel kind of weird for them to have two spikey-haired guys in suits back-to-back in this pass... does that make sense at all?

Honestly same, there are two ways I see the last fighter going, either they go with a very new character like Nahobino or EMMI, though I could see them going slightly older with a Gen 8 pokemon or Ring Fit. Potentially they could also pick Ayumi or the FDC protagonist under the loophole that said character didn't appear in the west until this year (But it's doubtful as there is some evidence that prior to the pandemic and them needing a few more releases, we weren't supposed to get it localized). Or they capitalize on the "last fighter" and they go out with a "bang" on someone like Master Chief, Sora, Crash or even Goku, and potentially, as it would be really hype for some people but I really don't want it to happen, Waluigi. Phoenix doesn't really fit with either criteria and would honestly be a really weird way to end Smash DLC. I do think he is a popular enough request that we are guaranteed a Mii Costume though (though no music, that only goes to Indies, probably because it's so much cheaper to license)

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
The visual similarity would only bug me about Nick's chances if Kazuya's kirby looked similar. If it was only the hair, it kinda would but the different colored eyes, eyebrows, and gloves make it different enough. People also thought Sephiroth meant Dante wasn't getting in due to the white hair and similar outfit. Dante ended up not getting in but I dont buy that as the reason

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Are people seriously suggesting Phoenix's chances are shot down due to Kazuya and him having similar hairstyles? Lol.

Guess we can forget certain mammal and bird duos then by this logic.

:ultduckhunt::ultbanjokazooie:

Guess we can also forget:ultvillager::ultsteve:or:ult_terry::ultken:

There's no patterns or character rows they go through, y'all are looking into things too deep.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Are people seriously suggesting Phoenix's chances are shot down due to Kazuya and him having similar hairstyles? Lol.

Guess we can forget certain mammal and bird duos then by this logic.

:ultduckhunt::ultbanjokazooie:

Guess we can also forget:ultvillager::ultsteve:or:ult_terry::ultken:

There's no patterns or character rows they go through, y'all are looking into things too deep.
No, people are not suggesting that, just commenting that Kirby transformations having visual similarities has issues from a gameplay perspective, which is why they'd take that into consideration when programming them in.

You really don't need to take this tone when you're the dude who overreaches every five seconds in the Newcomer Speculation thread.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok this is gonna sound random but i think nicks biggest capcom competitor might be, morigana (or however you spell it) from darkstalkers. the trends i think sakurai is showing could point to her.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
ok this is gonna sound random but i think nicks biggest capcom competitor might be, morigana (or however you spell it) from darkstalkers. the trends i think sakurai is showing could point to her.
How exactly do you think its pointing towards her?

Also there's Chun-Li and Amaterasu. Amaterasu certainly feels like a "Sakurai pick". I'd be fine with the latter, I want either her or Phoenix Wright for the last slot.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
How exactly do you think its pointing towards her?

Also there's Chun-Li and Amaterasu. Amaterasu certainly feels like a "Sakurai pick". I'd be fine with the latter, I want either her or Phoenix Wright for the last slot.
well im going to reiterate that this is all pure speculation. but sakurai seems to be leaning towards more traditional fighting game characters, with the last 4 character cycles having one. so perhaps the fighting game characters have a leg up. although i seemed to have forgotten about street fighter when coming to this conclusion.

i also think sakurais making a habit of putting in characters hes attracted to but that far more speculative and if anything would point to dead or alive

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
well im going to reiterate that this is all pure speculation. but sakurai seems to be leaning towards more traditional fighting game characters, with the last 4 character cycles having one. so perhaps the fighting game characters have a leg up. although i seemed to have forgotten about street fighter when coming to this conclusion.

i also think sakurais making a habit of putting in characters hes attracted to but that far more speculative and if anything would point to dead or alive
If Mai couldn't get in as a background character due to her outfit, there's no way that Morrigan would fly.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Mai couldn't get in as a background character due to her outfit, there's no way that Morrigan would fly.
The only thing Morrigan needs covered is her cleavage, that can be easily done.

The obscure Darkstalkers cartoon also shows how it could be done.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
The only thing Morrigan needs covered is her cleavage, that can be easily done.

The obscure Darkstalkers cartoon also shows how it could be done.

I feel like the same thing can be said for Mai..? If they weren't able to include an altered design that censored her cleavage, I feel like there's probably more at play.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I feel like the same thing can be said for Mai..? If they weren't able to include an altered design that censored her cleavage, I feel like there's probably more at play.

Do you see the difference? Mai exposes tons of skin and the major issue was the panties that CERO seems to take offense mostly to. Morrigan on the other hand doesn't. She's fully clothed aside from her cleavage, much easier to censor.

Also you're forgetting we have Bayonetta on the roster. If she could work, so could Morrigan.

The fact they could also reduce her breast size.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I think most of us can agree Mai not being ok when Bayonetta is in the game and censored spirits from characters just as skimpy like Camilla exist is one of the more confusing tidbits thrown around speculation, maybe the ESRB got more annoying or something.
Either way, if Mai can't get an easter egg I don't see how Morrigan would fly by, thong leotard, a plethora of cleavage and the fact she's a straight up succubus so it's sort of in her nature to be alluring and suggestive sounds like it'd be reasonable problem to have her represented in Smash as things are now.
It's why I don't really consider her seriously when speaking of a potential Capcom newcomer, even with all current disconfirmations we have on our hands, besides whatever other factors could be thrown against her.
Back to Phoenix though, I don't think Kazuyas suit alt or Kirby's copy hat should really matter much? The latter seems like it could differ a fair bit with the gloves and eyebrows. I'm all in for keeping expectations in checks and preparing for the worst outcome regarding Nicks addition, but that reasoning certainly doesn't convince me that Phoenix is 100% out of the race.
Also a question, I heard a theory that Capcom might not like participating in other publishers season passes due to the division of profits, while there's no solid evidence to believe this, have we ever seen one of their characters make a guest appearance in another games season pass? LIke Noctis in Tekken or the upcoming Guilty Gear character in Samurai Shodown.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 321262
There's a new glitch which involves Cloud's attack png being stuck. It fits so well with Phoenix Wright's objections and TAKE THAT!
This is definitely interesting and something to keep an eye on. It would make sense if they were working on a character feature that uses images

I know it is vague and most likely is a "infinite monkeys on typewriters" scenario but could be fun to talk about, nonetheless. View attachment 321398
Have you guys seen this yet?
That is scarily accurate, even if it's just vague. I think most people wouldn't have predicted a Dante mii costume unironically due to how popular he is.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
This is definitely interesting and something to keep an eye on. It would make sense if they were working on a character feature that uses images

That is scarily accurate, even if it's just vague. I think most people wouldn't have predicted a Dante mii costume unironically due to how popular he is.
It's quite easy to be scarily accurate when most of your predictions are that vague.

Ace Attorney is a game about using logic and evidence to come to the truth. Do none of you see the irony that this thread of all places is turning into the Fatmanonice era Geno thread?

Last edited:

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
It's quite easy to be scarily accurate when most of your predictions are that vague.

Ace Attorney is a game about using logic and evidence to come to the truth. Do none of you see the irony that this thread of all places is turning into the Fatmanonice era Geno thread?
I get that you're skeptical of Phoenix making it in and some of what we've said recently may have been farfetched, but there's got to be a better way to say it instead of calling us a bunch of overreaching idiots, yeah?

I know it is vague and most likely is a "infinite monkeys on typewriters" scenario but could be fun to talk about, nonetheless. View attachment 321398
These do indeed just look like a series of random guesses. While the prediction for the date of Pyra/Mythra's reveal was right, the reasoning behind their inclusion could have applied to basically anyone. Same thing goes for the Kazuya prediction, and I don't think that the idea of Monster Hunter and Dante getting Mii'd was that surprising. The bonus character being from Zelda wouldn't be a surprise, either. The part where Sakurai cheekily suggests that there's more DLC incoming is an easy guess, and it looks like the poster just namedropped a bunch of random companies for it. Waluigi being the final DLC is a fun idea that I think a couple of people have thought of, although I guess the Fortnite character could still happen. Considering the development time for each character, though, I don't see the Smash team continuing to make them outside of a Fighters Pass 3.

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Problem is the things this "leak" HAS gotten right so far are precisely the most vague or obvious parts. We all came up with the idea that FP2 characters were from franchises that "were due more representation initially but didn't get it" since Sephiroth, and saying "appeals to both east and west somewhat but also angers people" applies to almost anyone. I wouldn't pay much attention to this unless one of the more "risky" predictions it contains becomes true, like the epic games content statement, or the confirmation of a couple additional characters after FP2 (but by that point we would already know if Phoenix is character 11 or not)

I guess the most remarkable part of this is the prediction of Dante being a Mii, if anything, I'd say that wasn't that safe of a bet (or describing Kazuya as "less expected", I admit that's fairly accurate), but still, we've seen bigger coincidences that were just, well, coincidences. Maybe this will be worth remembering later, but for now I don't think it's very believable

(Fishy Leak added to the Court Record)

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

I think you are taking things too seriously. People are just bringing up things they find that relate to the character in any way. I don't think any of us think Nick is 100% in due to any of them or that any of them even mean anything. If posting things about the character that pop up (no matter how fake) in the character thread of said character is weird to you then I don't know what to tell you.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
If there's only one spot left how is there going to be Waluigi and a Capcom character? If we are hypothetically saying this is true and all.
I think what it is trying to say is that Waluigi will be an random update not associated with the pass.

I mean I said in my original post that I do not think this is really credible and was just showing it as fun discussion material.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

You're taking things way too seriously here Man. No one's even going on like it's a bulletproof confirmation. No need to be rude.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman

Ace Attorney is also a game where truth is often stranger than fiction...it's still a possibility, no matter how seriously unlikely it may be.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, I was thinking... if it gets a spirit event and gets Ryuunosuke and Satsuno then I feel like Phoenix is fine, but if they celebrate all of Ace Attorney, especially since there's a bundle that includes the trilogy, like, if we get an event with Ryuunosuke, Phoenix, Maya, and Edgeworth, then I think Phoenix is out, but we'll see.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Ace Attorney is also a game where truth is often stranger than fiction
and a lot of bluffing!
And yeah, if a TGAA exclusive spirit event happened I think would be entirely neutral on Phoenixs current situation, I don't feel it's quite the same as the RE general event from a few years back where all the main potential reps appeared in it. Now if it was a more universal celebration of the franchise, I'd sing a different tune.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
youre thinking of the 7th layton game
There's 7 of them!? This is news to me.

Also, about the spirit event thing, I'm wondering if Capcom would prefer to do the TGAA event after or before Phoenix is announced to try and boost sales a bit.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Ace Attorney is also a game where truth is often stranger than fiction...it's still a possibility, no matter how seriously unlikely it may be.
Not really, it usually starts to make more logical sense the deeper you go. Unless Spirit Channelling is involved (Or Monstrous Turnabout, but we don't talk about Monstrous Turnabout)

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Phoenix probably won't make it by sheer probability. There's one spot left and probably 200 characters viable to fill it.

The fact that Kazuya has spiky hair and an alt costume where he has a suit is not why lol. Do you think Sakurai would be like "well we were going to have Phoenix Wright, but Kazuya has spiky hair so we decided against it".

Nintendo had no issue with adding Byleth, Sephiroth, Pyra and Mythra within a 1 year span despite acknowledging complaints from fans that there are too many sword fighters. I highly doubt they care about two characters sharing something as superficial as spiky hair.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Onto other AA news

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Phoenix probably won't make it by sheer probability. There's one spot left and probably 200 characters viable to fill it.
Yeah, at this point the biggest thing against Phoenix is simply the fact that there's just one more slot. Makes me a bit sad because he's got almost everything else going for him and would be one of the likeliest characters right now if we just had more DLC coming

Top Bottom