• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I'm calm, I'm calm....

I'm a bit sad for Dante (from the Dante series, apparently) But
-No Kazuya alt that looks too much like Phoenix
-No Phoenix costume
-Lots of Capcom content

I should not get this hyped, considering there's only one more character but
BUTBUTBUT

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm pretty satified to know Phoenix is the Capcom frontrunner now. Perhaps Nintendo and Sakurai would have potentially chosen him because of the unique moveset he would bring as well as close history with Nintendo being considered an honorary Nintendo character like Banjo, and Bayonetta.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Part of me feels like Capcom is just out for DLC in general, because they've had a fair bit of Mii Fighter costumes that would've probably come with a character from their company if one existed.

But the other part of me wants to believe so hard now that Phoenix is the frontrunner for a Capcom rep.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
We did it. We actually managed to avoid the slaughter. And another of our greatest foes was vanquished.
It's not set in stone, but with Capcom not having a DLC character, and much of Phoenix's competition getting mii costum'd.
Brothers and sisters, our time could be coming!

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It did slip my mind but there's also Chun-Lee to consider, I don't expect her to happen though because given we already have two fighting game characters in this pass and clearly despite how many JRPG's that Nintendo has a bias over it.

So Phoenix is still good to go!

Last edited:

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Part of me feels like Capcom is just out for DLC in general, because they've had a fair bit of Mii Fighter costumes that would've probably come with a character from their company if one existed.

But the other part of me wants to believe so hard now that Phoenix is the frontrunner for a Capcom rep.
I've never been so conflicted on how to feel about Phoenix's chances after a reveal.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice

I feel like the final DLC will end up with a bunch of Mii costumes other than the series they're from because it's the last DLC, so they need to fit in any license they have leftover.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I feel like the final DLC will end up with a bunch of Mii costumes other than the series they're from because it's the last DLC, so they need to fit in any license they have leftover.
Hm, you make a great point. I can see the last character getting "we wanted these series/fighters in but it didn't end up working out so here's a Mii" pack. Which could go without any Capcom Miis in it.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Wow! Well yeah, um, at the very least Phoenix will get talked about more?? And that may lead to Nintendo noticing those talks or people giving Ace Attorney a try and loving it <3

Wow! I didn't expect a Dante costume at all! Wow...!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's never over until it's over. But I can hope, just a little bit.

I want to say that getting even more Capcom content is a hit and we still have a TGAA spirit event to watch out for, and hey, maybe they changed their mind on Resident Evil...? But it is wild that Phoenix is one of the last major Capcom omissions at this point.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
He even specified that these Miis were for big fan requests... I really hope we aren't that ignored, if Phoenix doesn't get in it'll feel so... like abandoned when Phoenix didn't get in MvC Infinite or couldn't even play cards with Rathalos and Morrigan... There's other big fan requests that didn't show up here definitely, but I dunno, they're not letting us down easy like these others yet... maybe cause we'll get a spirit event soon or maybe a Mii next time closer to TGS or uh NOTHING at ALL but I dunnooo

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Very true, it's not like a fighter has to come with costumes from their company. Banjo didn't come with any Microsoft costumes, Pyra and Mythra were all Capcom costumes, and even Kazuya only got one Bandai costume.

My only hangup is that we've already gotten a lot of Capcom costumes, and I feel like at least SOME of them would've saved to come with a Capcom rep if we were getting one.

But despite all this, I'm still choosing to believe. This is our time for the biggest turnabout we've ever seen.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
He even specified that these Miis were for big fan requests... I really hope we aren't that ignored, if Phoenix doesn't get in it'll feel so... like abandoned when Phoenix didn't get in MvC Infinite or couldn't even play cards with Rathalos and Morrigan... There's other big fan requests that didn't show up here definitely, but I dunno, they're not letting us down easy like these others yet... maybe cause we'll get a spirit event soon or maybe a Mii next time closer to TGS or uh NOTHING at ALL but I dunnooo
Well, technically, Phoenix can play cards... as a premium skin for Chun-Li.
He's got his own card pack (featuring Frank West from Dead Rising haha), though, so that's cool, I guess.

Chun-Li_-_Phoenix_Wright_skin.jpg

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Something interesting to think about is that if Phoenix got in, he'd get the same treatment as Kazuya/certain Mii costumes in that his series name would be censored in certain regions, because Ace Attorney is a T-rated series (with Dual Destinies sticking out as an M-rated game).

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Something interesting to think about is that if Phoenix got in, he'd get the same treatment as Kazuya/certain Mii costumes in that his series name would be censored in certain regions, because Ace Attorney is a T-rated series (with Dual Destinies sticking out as an M-rated game).
Plenty of people call Ace Attorney the Phoenix Wright series already. I wonder if they would still be confused after this.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Well, technically, Phoenix can play cards... as a premium skin for Chun-Li.
He's got his own card pack (featuring Frank West from Dead Rising haha), though, so that's cool, I guess.

View attachment 320913
Ah, yeah, I redownloaded the game when I saw the trailer but uninstalled again after reading the fine print that he couldn't be his own character. But I didn't see, so he's a skin huh? Well...at least that's better than what I thought, but still no clue why he can't just be himself and play cards with Amaterasu and uh Nergigante...? Like heaven forbid he be an actual character, anything but that pwshh oh well, a skin...better than I thought!

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Ah, yeah, I redownloaded the game when I saw the trailer but uninstalled again after reading the fine print that he couldn't be his own character. But I didn't see, so he's a skin huh? Well...at least that's better than what I thought, but still no clue why he can't just be himself and play cards with Amaterasu and uh Nergigante...? Like heaven forbid he be an actual character, anything but that pwshh oh well, a skin...better than I thought!
Apparently, it's really, really hard to get Nick because he's locked behind a lootbox and he's got a really low drop rate. I dunno why he's a skin, either, since the only other premium skins are Evil Ryu and Morrigan in a different costume. There's also a premium Breath of Fire character skin over Jill Valentine.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Apparently, it's really, really hard to get Nick because he's locked behind a lootbox and he's got a really low drop rate. I dunno why he's a skin, either, since the only other premium skins are Evil Ryu and Morrigan in a different costume. There's also a premium Breath of Fire character skin over Jill Valentine.
Huh... That's interesting...and kinda extra insulting pwshh, like yeah, glad he's in at all, but seriously, feels like they'd rather do anything than let him be a character...! Evil Ryu makes sense, but Phoenix is a skin...for Chun-Li of all people... well, alright, pwsh, wow haha

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
we've already gotten a lot of Capcom costumes, and I feel like at least SOME of them would've saved to come with a Capcom rep if we were getting one.
Not necessarily, I mean they wouldn't have been able to "save" all the other Capcom costumes to come with the Capcom character if that character brought in even more Capcom costumes themselves, they would have inevitably had to pair some of the costumes with other unrelated characters. If Phoenix can bring himself at least 4 more Capcom-only costumes, it wouldn't be wierd. And it's perfectly possible that Phoenix can fill in at least 4 slots with just Capcom costumes, between the AA series itself (which has tons of costume potential) and maybe some other franchises like Resident Evil (which I think it's weird we haven't at least got like a Chris costume with big buff Mii arms or something) or Dead Rising or something

Heck they didn't even save the Namco costumes for the Namco character, as we already got a couple of them prior to today, they could have saved Heihachi and Gil for today but they didn't. Phoenix can totally bring like just one Capcom costume and have the rest be unrelated, would be weird but not a first

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
nearly everyone from Capcom that would have been prioritized over Nick is out
Is it possible? We'll see.

I was fully bracing myself to see a Phoenix mii costume after that Dante one. I agree that it would be sad that if after everything is over, Ace Attorney gets no representation in Smash. Even a spirit event would be cool
On average, even a spirit event comes at least a few months after the game it's tied to is released, though there are exceptions (see: Square-Enix games unrelated to FF).

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
Resident Evil says hi.
Lloyd getting in this pass gives me hope that the last wave is going to be pure fan service, hopefully we get a mii costume there.
They got the spirit event treatment, so taking Byleth into account (who didn't get a 3H spirit event pre-release), it's safe to say they're out, or at least their chances are slim.

Phoenix and Amaterasu are definitely the Capcom frontrunners right now imo.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Ghost 'n Goblins, Monster Hunter and Street Fighter are all represented in Smash....
isn't it really suspicious that Ace Attorney out of all capcom franchises is not represented at all, despite him having the strongest connection to Nintendo out of all characters???

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
They got the spirit event treatment, so taking Byleth into account (who didn't get a 3H spirit event pre-release), it's safe to say they're out, or at least their chances are slim.

I mean 1)Heihachi's Mii Costume, 2)Said Spirit Event was 3 years ago
It's not just how big the series is either. Monster Hunter is, out of all Capcom's franchises, clearly Nintendo's priority considering it is exclusive and Ace Attoney isn't. So if Monster Hunter is out, then Ace Attorney probably is too.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
It's been a while since I commented on this page, how y'all feeling? Personally, I'm hyped as heck that the biggest competition to Phoenix is deconfirmed. Makes me very excited for his chances. Sorry to all the Dante bros tho. Maybe next time.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
I mean 1)Heihachi's Mii Costume, 2)Said Spirit Event was 3 years ago
Spirit Event was less than 2 years ago, after FP2 was finalized (November 2019). I'll give you the Heihachi costume though, which slightly increases their chances but not by much imo. Byleth releasing without a spirit event beforehand is really leading me to believe that Events are pretty damaging.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Ammy barely gets anything anymore, so I honestly doubt that.

For me, it would have to be Chun-Li that's currently in Nick's way, if we are to assume she didn't get left out because having two Chinese fighters in the same DLC run would have been redundant. :ultminmin

It's been a while since I commented on this page, how y'all feeling? Personally, I'm hyped as heck that the biggest competition to Phoenix is deconfirmed. Makes me very excited for his chances. Sorry to all the Dante bros tho. Maybe next time.
Unsure. On one hand, if the supposed DLC placeholder list leak from a while back is true, Nick might be in, but on the other hand we could get another unaccounted for factor like Min Min.

For the record, I was doubting Dante in the first place, even during the FP1 days. His Switch ports came a bit late imo.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Eh, i'm just happy he's here at all. Also,,,,,,it could be worse?

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
Ammy barely gets anything anymore, so I honestly doubt that.

For me, it would have to be Chun-Li that's currently in Nick's way, if we are to assume she didn't get left out because having two Chinese fighters in the same DLC run would have been redundant.
True, Ammy's series is pretty dormant. That being said Capcom still isn't hesitant on putting Ammy in crossovers (like what they did with TEPPEN back in October), so I wouldn't count her out.

Chun-Li's definitely a possibility, but gut feeling says to not expect 2 fighting game reps in a row tho. Could still definitely be wrong.

Either way, I think it's safe to say Phoenix definitely has the best chance of all Capcom picks imo.

No, I agree. I do not think the last character is a Capcom character
I would say they have a 50/50 chance for the last slot, but that's literally the case now they're either in or out at this point lol.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Unsure. On one hand, if the supposed DLC placeholder list leak from a while back is true, Nick might be in, but on the other hand we could get another unaccounted for factor like Min Min.

For the record, I was doubting Dante in the first place, even during the FP1 days. His Switch ports came a bit late imo.
The way I see it, Smash could potentially line up with a TGS reveal of AA7. The amount of time between now and TGS is about 3 months, which is the average cycle for a DLC character.

Also what's the placeholder leak? Don't think I remember that one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The way I see it, Smash could potentially line up with a TGS reveal of AA7. The amount of time between now and TGS is about 3 months, which is the average cycle for a DLC character.

Also what's the placeholder leak? Don't think I remember that one.
This one: https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/464169792/#

I know that 4chan's /v/ is lel-worthy for leak accuracy, but so far, most characters in this list either became playable, got a Mii costume, were replaced by a substitute due to not working out somehow (i.e. Heihachi, Rex), or plain left out (e.g. Flynn, Yuri). Out of every text leak, it's probably the one that's actually closest to reliable (aside from ARMS character/Min Min being absent, though that was probably decided on later), so I would keep it on hand, just in case.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Phoenix Wright:

+The only major Capcom IP to not have content in Smash yet.
+Popularity dating back to the pre-Brawl days.
+Very close series ties to Nintendo, which helped characters like Bayonetta and Banjo previously.
+Capcom is the only 3rd party company involved with Smash to not have a unique newcomer yet.
+Sakurai is personal friends with the series creator.
+Capcom has continued to have additional content from the base game right up until Kazuya.

Smash is obviously wildly unpredictable, but I honestly feel like Phoenix has one of the best shots of any character right now. I feel good...

MattX20

Smash Hero
Regardless to whether or not Phoenix is a guarantee, you have to admit this point: Capcom has been notably out of the entire DLC lineup thus far. Apart from Ken, the only things they've gotten were the Smash 4 Mii Costumes + Arthur and Dante and one spirit event for MH Rise. It's eyebrow raising to say the least.

Top Bottom