• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'd suppose the biggest hurdle for Phoenix is once again the possibility of being Mii'd
TBH he kind of resembles a young Manfred Von Karma (is much closer in personality to him too).

I won't deny the similarities though.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
This is why I need him in Smash. The contrast of "literally just a lawyer" next to all these crazy fighters, it's beautiful. And all the more so when he somehow holds his own anyway.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'd suppose the biggest hurdle for Phoenix is once again the possibility of being Mii'd

This is why I need him in Smash. The contrast of "literally just a lawyer" next to all these crazy fighters, it's beautiful. And all the more so when he somehow holds his own anyway.
We might need to stay on our toes for the 28th. A few things might be lining up for him being costumed. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is coming out soon, so an Arthur-styled promotion in the form of a Mii may come. The Mii wave might have a lot of Brawler costumes, too, and Phoenix would probably fit best as one.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
So thinking of the positives about Phoenix after Kazuya, Kazuya's inclusion shows that it doesn't matter that a company's mii costume was in another challenger pack. So it shouldn't matter too much that we got Capcom with Pyra and Mythra. Also it might lineup that the next challenger is announced around the Tokyo Game Show which could be good for Phoenix. Again, I'm not saying I think it's him but overall there is still a chance. Question is if they would end the entire DLC on him

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So thinking of the positives about Phoenix after Kazuya, Kazuya's inclusion shows that it doesn't matter that a company's mii costume was in another challenger pack. So it shouldn't matter too much that we got Capcom with Pyra and Mythra. Also it might lineup that the next challenger is announced around the Tokyo Game Show which could be good for Phoenix. Again, I'm not saying I think it's him but overall there is still a chance. Question is if they would end the entire DLC on him
I think people put to much stock in the notion that the final dlc has to be remarkable

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
regarding mii costumes, do we have a usual average that drop with each fighter? I imagine Lloyd's will return, and we'll probably get 2-3 more Tekken or Namco related costumes alongside that. While not a theme I think is necessary to follow, this might also be the time they might add miis to represent some other fighting game IPs, like Mortal Kombat or Guilty Gear.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Hmm...I thought we'd get two reveals at E3, but we didn't... just from many fighter reveals usually being spaced out by two or three months I figured the final two'd be done by now. And while Kazuya seems like he'll be dropped the day of the presentation, uh, there's still someone at the end here...

Buddies asked me if I even tuned into Capcom's E3 and no, I figured if Ace Attorney 7 is getting shown this year it's at TGS which is September, which seems to be a lot of peoples' solid guess at the next reveal...

I guess I'm wondering if this last fighter is taking some extra time because uh, maybe their different languages and word bubbles are a bit of a chore to translate? I guess I'm ganna be paying attention if the next data mine shows any update on that voice thing in the sound menu, and I'm ganna wonder if they want to celebrate The Great Ace Attorney with a spirit event... we might even celebrate early and get a mii costume at Kazuya's presentation...?

Um...if not then I guess my hopes are ganna go up again... hmm...

One kind of hangup I have though, for Phoenix being a last solo reveal, I always expected his trailer to be like Isabelle's. Where, since I don't think they'd have Mario and Pikachu fight and have Phoenix jump out to join in, they'd go with one of the reveals where the character isn't the surprise, but the fact that you're watching a smash trailer is the surprise instead. I guess they could still do this at a Nintendo Direct, but it seems like Smash likes to end things off with their own dedicated presentations, like Smash 4 did, the Ken/Incineroar/Plant one did, and how Byleth kind of would have I guess?

It's not a rule, but...I mean even if it was a dedicated presentation, Sakurai literally said at the Byleth one "You'll probably figure it out at the start of the trailer" since Byleth also had an Isabelle "wait this is smash??" type of trailer (which makes me think it was originally meant for like...the Game Awards or maybe the direct Terry was shown off at? Terry wasn't even far enough for them to show gameplay in his trailer, I wonder if they traded spots...

But would Phoenix have traded spots with anyone? It fits the Ace Attorney series getting stuff this year, and if he needed extra time for translations, but... I mean I do think Kazuya is kind of a weird E3 reveal which might suggest some strange timing changes, he's one of the most um...characters I've seen with reactions being like "Oh Tekken?" or straight-up "Who is this?" but then again E3 has also shown off Palutena and Banjo so...ohh I dunno hmm...

I guess uh... the next Mii costumes will influence my feelings, data mine voice stuff, spirit event or not related to Great Ace Attorney, and despite Phoenix having a trailer where it should be obvious it's him immediately, different factors make me think that doesn't matter I guess...

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
We've chatted a lot about Capcom rivals, but what about genre competition? I think the main three visual novel/puzzle characters that are challenging us are Layton, Ayumi Tachibana, or someone from Danganronpa.

Layton is unfortunately in a real bad spot. His franchise and company aren't doing too hot at the moment. Despite this, I think that he has a fair shot at making it in since DLC deals were made a while ago. Although, I guess he could be beat by another Level-5 franchise. Don't forget that in 2019, Jibanyan was featured on a Nintendo-exclusive Valentine's Day poll, showing that Level-5 and Nintendo had a good relationship at that time.

Ayumi Tachibana is in a curious spot. She's a Nintendo character, she was considered back in Melee, her games just got remakes, and she likely influenced visual novels. Honestly, though, I don't think she really has that much of a chance. I think that she is a bit too niche. Her supporters seem to mostly use the Melee-consideration as a basis for their speculation. We've seen several other characters have consideration to no avail (Geno, Dixie Kong, kinda Heihachi, etc.).

A Danganronpa character might actually have a good shot. Disregarding the recent Switch ports, Sakurai loves Danganronpa. He's good friends with Kazutaka Kodaka (the creator of Danganronpa). I think this situation mirrors Joker a bit. Sakurai also loved Persona, and I don't think it's a coincidence that Nintendo chose a Persona character (a series that barely had any Nintendo connection and is technically a spin-off franchise) over a Shin Megami Tensei character. We've seen creator-friendships not work out before, though (Suda and Travis Touchdown), but this kind of also applies to Phoenix, too, since we know that Sakurai and Takumi are probably at least a bit close considering that photo of them + Kamiya a few years ago.

Other characters like Monika could maybe be considered, but I don't think they're as likely as the three above.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
We've chatted a lot about Capcom rivals, but what about genre competition? I think the main three visual novel/puzzle characters that are challenging us are Layton, Ayumi Tachibana, or someone from Danganronpa.

Layton is unfortunately in a real bad spot. His franchise and company aren't doing too hot at the moment. Despite this, I think that he has a fair shot at making it in since DLC deals were made a while ago. Although, I guess he could be beat by another Level-5 franchise. Don't forget that in 2019, Jibanyan was featured on a Nintendo-exclusive Valentine's Day poll, showing that Level-5 and Nintendo had a good relationship at that time.

Ayumi Tachibana is in a curious spot. She's a Nintendo character, she was considered back in Melee, her games just got remakes, and she likely influenced visual novels. Honestly, though, I don't think she really has that much of a chance. I think that she is a bit too niche. Her supporters seem to mostly use the Melee-consideration as a basis for their speculation. We've seen several other characters have consideration to no avail (Geno, Dixie Kong, kinda Heihachi, etc.).

A Danganronpa character might actually have a good shot. Disregarding the recent Switch ports, Sakurai loves Danganronpa. He's good friends with Kazutaka Kodaka (the creator of Danganronpa). I think this situation mirrors Joker a bit. Sakurai also loved Persona, and I don't think it's a coincidence that Nintendo chose a Persona character (a series that barely had any Nintendo connection and is technically a spin-off franchise) over a Shin Megami Tensei character. We've seen creator-friendships not work out before, though (Suda and Travis Touchdown), but this kind of also applies to Phoenix, too, since we know that Sakurai and Takumi are probably at least a bit close considering that photo of them + Kamiya a few years ago.

Other characters like Monika could maybe be considered, but I don't think they're as likely as the three above.
Oh, hm. Well Layton seems like his time has passed and one of his inspirations, as said by Akihiro Hino himself, is Phoenix Wright, so Layton getting in before Wright just seems awkward but hey it ain't a rule, I guess. Ayumi though, I don't know much about but probably needs more time at least, maybe next time but depending how fun and unique she could be, maybe a fighter, maybe an assist trophy, but yeah, Danganronpa, hmm...that's tougher.

Even though Sakurai seems to have gotten some personal favorites like Terry, Nintendo is the one making the DLC decisions... But Spike Chunsoft have been good buddies for a long time, they helped make the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons, 999 is a DS cult classic, I don't knowww... I know Masafumi Takada, Danganronpa's composer, does a great job with the Smash soundtrack, like remixing Tomodachi Life and Banjo's main theme...

And it's nice the entire Danganronpa series's coming over on the Switch, plus a full game for the bonus mode I loved so much. Now both series are supported on Nintendo pretty hard...

There was a neat interview between Danganronpa and Phoenix Wright producers, Terasawa Yoshinori and Eshiro Motohide. They're good buddies and in the discussion, there's a part where something potentially deal-closing in regards to Smash is noted...

Eshiro notes how Danganronpa has these dynamic camera angles and flashier style that appeals to more, and younger, people. He says the anime seems to have brought in more people for Ace Attorney, but the audience seems to be more around late 20s or 30s... This interview was back in 2016 and maybe things have changed even if there's been no new mainline game. We got the trilogy ports that did a great job getting new people to try, we've got the Great Ace Attorney coming over, shown off at E3, though I worry it's 100 year ago aesthetic isn't doing it too many favors...? I dunno...when I was on tumblr I remember the show Sherlock being popular so um maybe it is more of a draw than I think...?

In any case, yeah, Danganronpa could get in before Ace Attorney I guess? Sakurai said during Terry's presentation that a character being fun is more important than being recognizable, but again, Nintendo's picking the DLC. I'd feel like, uh, hm... it's tough... "Objection!" in itself is known and got tossed around in Among Us popularity, but people know Nagito for hanging out with sans in a meme haha, nahhh, objection is probably better known. Still, it does kinda seem like Danganronpa got popular at a faster rate than Ace Attorney...but official sale numbers - not total sale numbers since Ace Attorney is a decade older - seem to show Ace Attorney much more successful per version...

They both had games around 2016 and 2017, around when base Ultimate stuff was decided, but also chats for DLC like Steve, probably Banjo because of the Smash 4 ballot, probably Hero and Sephiroth with weird murmurs of Cloud's inclusion and leakers mentioning hearing their names, probably others, and are both getting new releases, like, this year... uhhhh...

I think what it comes down to is who is considered the kind of the genre right now... Like, it would have been a bit weird for Kazuya or Terry to have gotten in before Ryu... but then again Sakurai talked about trying to get Heihachi to work for base Smash 4 so neeevermind, pwsh

They may even figure Capcom has enough with Ryu, Ken, and Megaman and give Spike Chunsoft some love instead, but I dunno, Phoenix seems more iconic? I think more people would see Phoenix and know his name thanks in part to his first game literally being his name, so many think it's just the "Phoenix Wright" series, while seeing Monokuma they'd probably know they saw him somewhere but not know what a "Monokuma" or "Danganronpa" is...and the students they'd have even less of an idea. If they went with Nagito for his popularity, uh, pwsh, well he's a funny guy, but... they could do a costume situation and have Makoto, Hajime, Kaede, and Nagito all using truth bullets and focus and cross swords, that'd work mostly I guess... Gatta pay more voice actors and stuff but I'm sure Nintendo's got the budget.

Yeah, I dunno. Danganronpa's seems like the only uh "competition" to me I guess, but man, I dunno, that's tough!

Ah, I had a bit at the end here unsure if Sakurai feels he can do either series justice since I don't know if he's ever played them but in his Ace Attorney column, praising its funny presentation among repetitive stuff that he got sick of at TGS 2005, he mentions "it was just like the games!" which sounds like he has actually played at least some...!

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
I don't really worry about genre competition... at all.
Imagining danganronpa getting in over Ace Attorney kinda feels like having Geno added in the game instead of Mario lol (And Layton...I know people constantly associate both series but... it's not even really the same genre)

And I think some people overestimate how much of a say Sakurai has in the character choices. Of course some of the characters that have gotten in are characters he likes, because... he has his personal tastes. It's not weird at all that Nintendo picks a character and Sakurai happens to like that character, just like it's not weird that Nintendo picks a character and Sakurai doesn't care that much or outright implies he wouldn't have added them unless asked by Nintendo (like with Byleth). Some characters Sakurai likes, some others not so much, I don't think it's even a factor. The only moment Sakurai can influence the character that gets in is once he's presented an already chosen candidate and he has to confirm (not decide) whether or not he is capable of making a moveset for them (which he's probably capable of with most possible candidates, given what we've seen), but his personal tastes don't really factor in as far as we know.

And, even though both an Ace Attorney character and a danganronpa one would be a bit of a puzzle to translate into a fighting game moveset... Ace Attorney at least has history and hard evidence that it is indeed possible to do so, with dangobango it would be the first time afaik.

I'm personally more concerned with our one big company rival Dante and most of all, if a Capcom character is even happening at all (especially now that there's only the final character remaining, which is likely to be a first party advertisement)

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm not sure what's Layton's situation as of late given Level 5 current problems, it's probably irrelevant as far as Smash negotiations go.
I personally don't see much competition as a "genre" rep, I don't think the persons involved on the roster decide based on that criteria? But supposing they do, I guess there's something to be said about Ayumi being a fairly old first party with newfound relevance that was even considered for Melee at some point, but I can't see DR getting anything before Layton or AA even have at least a spirit in the game or something.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm personally more concerned with our one big company rival Dante and most of all, if a Capcom character is even happening at all (especially now that there's only the final character remaining, which is likely to be a first party advertisement)
Unless we have to wait until TGA, Dante's not a problem anymore. He's a character that definitely would've been at E3.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Similar to how there's no reason to believe why our final character has to be anyone special or big with how Ultimate's base roster or the first fighters pass ended, I don't think we should take for granted that our final reveal has to be considered small or underwhelming. Iirc Smash 4 closed it's DLC with a special Smash direct, and Cloud was revealed on a regular direct from what I've read? That sounds like a pretty big name that wasn't either at E3 or TGA.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So yeah i hop non of you gets mad at me but i pirated Ace attourny on the Ds ( the only Ds phoenix wright game is the trillogy right?)
Why tho? Because all new releases of PWAA dont use the already existing German translation meaning the friggin Text is english!
IN A VISUAL NOVEL! FEATURING DIFFICULT JARGON!
You may understand why im not paying for it right?
Ive finnished an lets play of the first third of the DS game but i wanted to play the reast for myself (although with savestates) I dont want to slowly click through text if i stumble at the end of a Court section!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Similar to how there's no reason to believe why our final character has to be anyone special or big with how Ultimate's base roster or the first fighters pass ended, I don't think we should take for granted that our final reveal has to be considered small or underwhelming. Iirc Smash 4 closed it's DLC with a special Smash direct, and Cloud was revealed on a regular direct from what I've read? That sounds like a pretty big name that wasn't either at E3 or TGA.
says who?
Still that, was Smash 4, which had a much more disorganized DLC period. This is Smash Ultimate. The DLC has been more carefully planned and rigidly structured.

Let's take a look at our biggest characters for the DLC season:

Joker: Revealed at the Game Awards
Hero: Revealed at E3
Banjo-Kazooie: Revealed at E3
Steve: Revealed in an October presentation, but heavily speculated to have been originally planned for E3 if the pandemic hadn't delayed everything. Min Min also took more time than anticipated, which further pushed Steve.
Sephiroth: Revealed at the Game Awards
Kazuya: Revealed at E3.

Meanwhile, our smaller DLC characters, Min Min, Piranha Plant, Terry, Byleth, Pyra/Mythra, were all revealed in smaller presentations and Directs. Most of these were first-party fighters, and Terry doesn't have the worldwide recognizably that Kazuya does.

A character like Dante fits with the former way more than the latter, and unless Nintendo drags this out until the end of the year Dante's done. Ultimate has set the precedent that the reveal times were planned more carefully. Every major doorbuster character we've gotten in this pass has been revealed at a big event, I highly doubt they'd just drop a big character like Dante in a Direct when most of his fanbase (which is on other consoles) isn't even watching. All of our normal Direct/Presentation characters (with the exception of Steve, though he had special circumstances, and Nintendo decided to tie him into Minecon instead) were either smaller third parties or first parties, a category Dante doesn't fit at all. meanwhile, Phoenix fits this category perfectly.

Yes, weird things can happen sometimes, but there's clearly a pattern here that the heavy hitters were saved for big events. We can't use Smash 4 as precedent when things were organized completely differently and more haphazardly back then. Back then Sakurai didn't even originally plan to do DLC and things just kinda happened. Meanwhile, here they were planned ahead of time and kept on a rigid schedule.

And with that, the Prosecution rests....

ezgif-3-886f64eeaaea.png

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Still that, was Smash 4, which had a much more disorganized DLC period. This is Smash Ultimate. The DLC has been more carefully planned and rigidly structured.

Let's take a look at our biggest characters for the DLC season:

Joker: Revealed at the Game Awards
Hero: Revealed at E3
Banjo-Kazooie: Revealed at E3
Steve: Revealed in an October presentation, but heavily speculated to have been originally planned for E3 if the pandemic hadn't delayed everything. Min Min also took more time than anticipated, which further pushed Steve.
Sephiroth: Revealed at the Game Awards
Kazuya: Revealed at E3.

Meanwhile, our smaller DLC characters, Min Min, Piranha Plant, Terry, Byleth, Pyra/Mythra, were all revealed in smaller presentations and Directs. Most of these were first-party fighters, and Terry doesn't have the worldwide recognizably that Kazuya does.

A character like Dante fits with the former way more than the latter, and unless Nintendo drags this out until the end of the year Dante's done. Ultimate has set the precedent that the reveal times were planned more carefully. Every major doorbuster character we've gotten in this pass has been revealed at a big event, I highly doubt they'd just drop a big character like Dante in a Direct when most of his fanbase (which is on other consoles) isn't even watching. All of our normal Direct/Presentation characters (with the exception of Steve, though he had special circumstances, and Nintendo decided to tie him into Minecon instead) were either smaller third parties or first parties, a category Dante doesn't fit at all. meanwhile, Phoenix fits this category perfectly.

Yes, weird things can happen sometimes, but there's clearly a pattern here that the heavy hitters were saved for big events. We can't use Smash 4 as precedent when things were organized completely differently and more haphazardly back then. Back then Sakurai didn't even originally plan to do DLC and things just kinda happened. Meanwhile, here they were planned ahead of time and kept on a rigid schedule.

And with that, the Prosecution rests....
what about meta knight, pit, zero suit samus, wario, villager, wii fit trainer, mii fighters, paultena, ridley and daisy?

also your edgeworth sprite is the wrong way round

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So yeah i hop non of you gets mad at me but i pirated Ace attourny on the Ds ( the only Ds phoenix wright game is the trillogy right?)
Why tho? Because all new releases of PWAA dont use the already existing German translation meaning the friggin Text is english!
IN A VISUAL NOVEL! FEATURING DIFFICULT JARGON!
You may understand why im not paying for it right?
Ive finnished an lets play of the first third of the DS game but i wanted to play the reast for myself (although with savestates) I dont want to slowly click through text if i stumble at the end of a Court section!
??? Pretty sure the official Switch releases all had German translations added to them years ago. ???

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
what about meta knight, pit, zero suit samus, wario, villager, wii fit trainer, mii fighters, paultena, ridley and daisy?

That's the opposite, that's a smaller character at a big event. Base game is typically different, and again, most of those examples were Smash 4 and before.

Also the sprite's from Ace Attorney Investigations, and Edgeworth is on the left side of the screen in those games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's the opposite, that's a smaller character at a big event. Base game is typically different, and again, most of those examples were Smash 4 and before.

Also the sprite's from Ace Attorney Investigations, and Edgeworth is on the left side of the screen in those games.
seems like you’re picking choosing. Ridley was pretty big too the fans. Not sure you can say villager is small either.

there’s nothing to say any character needs to revealed in a specific event

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
seems like you’re picking choosing. Ridley was pretty big too the fans. Not sure you can say villager is small either.

there’s nothing to say any character needs to revealed in a specific event
Good point, I forgot about Ridley for a moment.

There's nothing stopping them from revealing an E3-tier pick in a regular direct, but based on how they've scheduled character reveals throughout Ultimate's DLC cycle it shows that Nintendo schedules the big picks at big events.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Good point, I forgot about Ridley for a moment.

There's nothing stopping them from revealing an E3-tier pick in a regular direct, but based on how they've scheduled character reveals throughout Ultimate's DLC cycle it shows that Nintendo schedules the big picks at big events.
that’s just not how it works. They will reveal who they want when they want

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice

Bruh. He explains exactly why he's not using Smash 4's characters as a pattern and you proceed to mention Smash 4 and Brawl characters...

Also, yeah, it's not like Edgeworth has two entire games dedicated to himself facing right.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
It's tough, with timing pushed would they deliberately change the order of reveals to adapt or just sorta roll with the punches? Nothing is set in stone, but a character like Pyra/Mythra makes way more sense at a Nintendo Direct than E3 or the Game Awards... But hey, this final presentation might not be a nintendo direct, it might be a "Hey, we're doing a reveal, show up if you care" which they did for Steve, Ryu&Roy, Ken&Incineroar&Plant, Corrin&Bayonetta... I'm wondering, people say Nintendo usually does a direct in September which is when they next character makes sense to be expected, but it also makes sense if Smash wants to say goodbye with their own dedicated presentation like the Smash 4 Corrin/Bayonetta one...

If miis don't hurt Phoenix in about a week and there's a nintnedo direct announcement in September my hopes personally are ganna be way up cause I think, while Phoenix could still be shown in a dedicated finale, I feel like way less characters would fit a Nintendo Direct, which yes, a lot of fans of Dante or Master Chief might skip. There's no rule, maybe Dante or whoever just wouldn't have been ready for E3 and they have to work with whatever timing and just deal with some fans not having fresh reactions, but yeah I just feel like first parties and characters like Phoenix that have been, not only on Nintendo systems, but mostly exclusive to them, (also Phoenix has like, among a few dedicated videos, a Spirit of Justice prologue I think you can only watch on Nintendo's channel) are more appropriately shown at Nintendo Directs.

At this point I'm really getting my hopes up again that Phoenix is coming. I didn't expect him at the Game Awards, I expected him when Pyra was shown and was sad after cause it felt like his last chance, then I expected 2 reveals at E3 with Phoenix maybe being one of them, but more expecting someone like Crash, and now that we still have someone on the way, in September probably, and the Great Ace Attorney games will be out by July, Ace Attorney might get 4 through 6 ports or Ace Attorney 7 or maybe just something small, but something as they usually do at TGS this september, characters like Master Chief and Ninja Gaiden have been deconfirmed(some say the public statements may be misdirects, but they're enough for me), it's all adding up to get my hopes up haha

Just gatta see the miis in about a week and...uh, well however they celebrate the Great Ace Attorney in July - or don't - uhh I think either way I'll still have hopes up pwshh, if they celebrate it I'll be like oh cool it's like how that persona game got a spirit along with Arthur after the fact, and if they don't I'll be like ohh what're they trying to hide, why's the pattern different ooh. And then yeah, same with whether it's a direct or dedicated presentation, Direct does honestly feel even better for Phoenix with how I imagine his trailer being like Pyra's or Isabelle's where the twist isn't the character but that what you've been watching is a smash trailer, but even if it's a dedicated presentation Byleth had the same style of trailer anyway, so yeah, this can just keep getting rationalized haha, if he's really not in then I guess they let us down with a mii soon, but I'd definitely prefer he just be the last fighter...!

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
They will reveal who they want when they want
Literally nobody said otherwise? They'll reveal who they want when they want. And WHEN they'll want to reveal a certain character is gonna depend on their criteria. We may or may not be able to guess what that criteria is, but they won't just randomly drop characters out of nowhere without even agreeing on it first. It's perfectly valid to speculate on when they'd prefer to reveal certain characters, yes, they'll do it "when they want", but WHEN they "want" to reveal them can perfectly have a reasoning behind.

Maybe it's not this exact same reasoning, but it's not just entirely random. I'll eat what I want when I want, but that doesn't mean I'm going to randomly eat random stuff at random moments of the day for no reason. I'll pick what and when I want to eat based on the time of the day, my personal tastes, hunger, and several other factors.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Who are people expecting for last now anyways? My most wanted are Phoenix and Cinderace and I feel like both have a good shot while I see other characters getting deconfirmed, like Master Chief by Halo director on the 15th, and Lloyd, I'm assuming we'll see his mii soon.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'll just say the moment a pattern seems spotted it looks like Sakurai loves to break trends haha, that's why I won't cross out supposedly bigger names like Dante yet, although it's not like I'm holding out my breath for him or Phoenix at this point.
I'm not expecting any character in particular, but with how this 2nd pass went so far, I'm not expecting it to be anyone I particularly care for, 3rd party or not. The most I hope it's something on the level of Min Min or Kazuya, not characters I personally want or I'd even buy, but that I can 100% respect why they were chosen and got in.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Who are people expecting for last now anyways?
someone middle of the road as it were

Bruh. He explains exactly why he's not using Smash 4's characters as a pattern and you proceed to mention Smash 4 and Brawl characters...

Also, yeah, it's not like Edgeworth has two entire games dedicated to himself facing right.
Literally nobody said otherwise? They'll reveal who they want when they want. And WHEN they'll want to reveal a certain character is gonna depend on their criteria. We may or may not be able to guess what that criteria is, but they won't just randomly drop characters out of nowhere without even agreeing on it first. It's perfectly valid to speculate on when they'd prefer to reveal certain characters, yes, they'll do it "when they want", but WHEN they "want" to reveal them can perfectly have a reasoning behind.

Maybe it's not this exact same reasoning, but it's not just entirely random. I'll eat what I want when I want, but that doesn't mean I'm going to randomly eat random stuff at random moments of the day for no reason. I'll pick what and when I want to eat based on the time of the day, my personal tastes, hunger, and several other factors.
do you have a point?

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Who are people expecting for last now anyways?
Either a BotW character or a Pokémon. And I wouldn't count out Master Chief yet since Vergeben has had credibility in the past. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be Phoenix – but who knows, nobody expected a Tekken character at this point either (due to the Heihachi DLC Mii costume), so Phoenix would also be a final surprise that nobody expected.

Top Bottom