• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Not sure whether to start with replaying DGS1 and enjoy a different translation or start the new game in DGS2. I kind of forget a few things from 1 so I might just replay that first. Be interesting to see how they handle difficult topics like Barok's racism towards the defense etc.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hopefully, the preorders don't sell out before the end of the month or early June.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not sure whether to start with replaying DGS1 and enjoy a different translation or start the new game in DGS2. I kind of forget a few things from 1 so I might just replay that first. Be interesting to see how they handle difficult topics like Barok's racism towards the defense etc.
I'm planning to start with DGS1, just to see if they did anything differently. Plus it'll help ease me into calling Holmes Herlock Sholmes (and apparently Iris is called Wilson now?)

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm planning to start with DGS1, just to see if they did anything differently. Plus it'll help ease me into calling Holmes Herlock Sholmes (and apparently Iris is called Wilson now?)
Her name is still Iris as confirmed by the trailer

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Ghost Trick (only on iOS), Dual Destinies, Spirit of Justice, and both Great Ace Attorney games are back on mobile stores :D

KillerCage

Smash Master
Ghost Trick (only on iOS), Dual Destinies, Spirit of Justice, and both Great Ace Attorney games are back on mobile stores :D

More people need to play Ghost Trick.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I've heard nothing but good things about Ghost Trick but the DS version has sadly gotten rather expensive. I also only have an Android.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
yo what the heck is this timing? I saw a longplay of Ghost Trick recommended to me on YouTube literally FIVE DAYS AGO. I heard the game was good so I watched the video through the first bit of the game (right up to the point where that giant chicken falls, for those who've played) and remembered it was on mobile. Wanted to try it for myself so I looked on the app store and it wasn't there. Thought "oh well" and moved on and stopped watching the video. And NOW it comes back, after being gone for months and months apparently? That's a sign lol, I need to buy that game.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
New Ace Attorney food items for the Capcom Cafe. 😋

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Is there any chance of Ace Attorney news other than Great Ace Attorney or a Smash reveal at E3?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Is there any chance of Ace Attorney news other than Great Ace Attorney or a Smash reveal at E3?
We don't really know.

I could see AA7 being announced at Nintendo's E3 but maybe Capcom would rather give the spotlight to TGAA and announce AA7 at the Tokyo Game Show, assuming the game exists and is ready to be announced.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
It's in French, but someone made a great concept video for an entire Phoenix Challenger Pack. I highly encourage that you guys watch it despite the language barrier, as it's obvious that the creator put a lot of effort into it (there's even a full custom-made medley). The concept does lack post-AJ content, but you can't really fault him for that since IIRC no game after AJ has been translated outside of English. He also has some DLC concepts for a bunch of Earthbound characters and in general focuses his content on Earthbound.

(P.S. Did you know that Edgeworth's French name is Benjamin Hunter?)

Last edited:

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
It's in French, but someone made a great concept video for an entire Phoenix Challenger Pack. I highly encourage that you guys watch it despite the language barrier, as it's obvious that the creator put a lot of effort into it (there's even a full custom-made medley). The concept does lack post-AJ content, but you can't really fault him for that since IIRC no game after AJ has been translated outside of English. He also has some DLC concepts for a bunch of Earthbound characters and in general focuses his content on Earthbound.

(P.S. Did you know that Edgeworth's French name is Benjamin Hunter?)

This video got English subtitles if anyone is still interested :D

Otherwise, looks we are getting E3 news indeed (even if it is just a trailer or something)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
This video got English subtitles if anyone is still interested :D

Otherwise, looks we are getting E3 news indeed (even if it is just a trailer or something)

Probably just a new trailer for the game.

If we're getting AA7 I'd assume it would be announced at the Nintendo Direct to be honest. The Capcom showcase seems to be more of a recap of recent games and games that are very close to release. So I'm not expecting new things being announced there, otherwise I feel they would have said something like "and we'll have a few more surprises!", for example.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Probably just a new trailer for the game.

If we're getting AA7 I'd assume it would be announced at the Nintendo Direct to be honest. The Capcom showcase seems to be more of a recap of recent games and games that are very close to release. So I'm not expecting new things being announced there, otherwise I feel they would have said something like "and we'll have a few more surprises!", for example.
AA7 revealed with Phoenix in smash would be the most hype thing ever

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Are you all familiar with the DLC theory regarding crowd cheers? It's the theory that states that because every Fighters Pass 2 character has only had a crowd cheer in either English or Japanese, characters that have distinctive voice work outside those two languages (i.e. different names) are deconfirmed.

Would this apply to Phoenix? His name is the same across all non-Japanese languages, but every speech bubble is different in each language. I would consider speech bubbles a big part of his voice work, too.

I personally don't think it's a good argument against him since Phoenix has not really had an official voice actor in any other languages since the trilogy because IIRC no game has been translated past Apollo Justice. He does have non-English/Japanese voice clips, but for what we know, they could be from random Capcom staff like how voice clips were done for English and Japanese. Plus, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to ask Sam Riegel and Takayuki Kondō to shout a couple of words in different languages, right?

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't think the speech bubble thing should matter much, Shulks monado arts don't get translated to non english/japanese languages right? I imagine the same would apply to Phoenix objections and the sort. Same goes for stuff like VA, afaik the extra languages options only affects stuff like menus and tips.
IMO that crowd cheer argument mostly affects Pokemon that have their name change in stuff like french or deustche and not many more characters.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I think if Phoenix got in, his objection bubble and voices would be in Japanese and in English (but not in other languages). "Objection!" is just too iconic and I don't think there'd be only the japanese version.

By the way, someone made another animated victory screen of Phoenix Wright (timestamp at 2:03) and it looks awesome (that reference!):

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Welp

On the bright side, I'm kinda relieved Chronicles won't have to share the spotlight that much during release

Last edited:

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Theoretically, if they were waiting to announce AA7, it bodes well for us that they didn't show it today and instead have a big surprise tomorrow. Or we could get nothing at all tomorrow but I will still hold out hope.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I toooold y'all, they would never reveal AA7 with TGAA Chronicles coming in just a month. It would eat into the sales of both of em too much. Honestly I'm happy with the presentations because they told us what to expect going in and more importantly, they gave top billing to Ace Attorney. It's nice to see the series be respected by Capcom so much, bodes well for the future of it.

Top Bottom