• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
On that note, can anyone sort out everything that was on the Capcom megaleak that happened some time ago?
I found this from reddit a few months ago regarding TGAA, which turned out true (somewhere they also said it would be announced in April, I'm pretty sure of that, I just can't find it right now):

IMG_20210422_122809.jpg

IMG_20210422_123402.jpg

I think it is very likely that AA7 will be released this year and what better way to announce it than at E3? AA7 this year would also be great considering Smash DLC are set to be released this year and not next year + this year is the 25th Ace Attorney anniversary.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm still surprised they went with the Great Ace Attorney games first instead of doing a collection for AA4, 5 and 6, which would have been a safer bet in terms of sales IMO.

And it would tie up better with a potential release of AA7 for the second half of the year, for those who have only played the OG trilogy.

Not like I'm complaining because I've played all mainline games while the TGAA duology will be completely new for me, but still.

Hey guys, its been a while since I checked this site but man I just wanna share my excitement for DGS finally getting localized, I teared up a lot this morning and I just couldn't be happier for this.
Gotta say though, kinda worried this game's releasing in such a stacked month and in the same day as TWEWY 2, Capcom better do a great job at advertising this game.
Yeah dude I was planning on picking up NEO: TWEWY day one, and now with the Great Ace Attorney games I don't know what to do.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, assuming that Nick is among the next characters, depending on the timing of AA7's release, his release as a Smash fighter could be a few months after the game's release. :ultbyleth: was announced and released mere months after Three Houses came out. Only issue is that so far, Smash has had bad luck with anniversary timing for anything besides itself. Even the Octopath Traveler spirit event was started in advance from its anniversary.

And honestly? 4-6 are still on the 3DS worldwide anyway, but TGAA1 and 2 never came to the West in any capacity and are a prequel to the entire series, so it would make sense to get as many new fans on the series as possible (while AA7 is more for the long-time followers). Between this and Ghosts 'N Goblins Resurrection's selectable difficulty, accessibility to new players seems to be a recent aim for Capcom.

At any rate, it's telling that even Capcom sees no appeal to the Xbox selling in Japan.

Pretty cool to see them acknowledge Switch as a strong platform though. As far as I see, AA is an honorary Nintendo series, seeing as the majority of the series had been released on their portables prior to the 1-3 trilogy getting ported elsewhere.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know i think i would have found the announcement much more hype had it not been leaked

ah well the important thing is can get the games

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
you know i think i would have found the announcement much more hype had it not been leaked

ah well the important thing is can get the games
Yeah, but for me, that's not so bad since at least they're coming soon.

That's not nearly as grueling as possibly having to wait at least three years for those new games and remakes for
Final Fight, Power Stone, and Captain Commando
with no guarantee of them remaining on schedule by then. :drsad:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, but for me, that's not so bad since at least they're coming soon.

That's not nearly as grueling as possibly having to wait at least three years for those new games and remakes for
Final Fight, Power Stone, and Captain Commando
with no guarantee of them remaining on schedule by then. :drsad:
I have no idea what those games are

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
idk man I still say AA7 won't be coming any time soon. Maybe it's being planned to be revealed in the second half of this year or something, which would explain why it was in the leaks or maybe the leaks were wrong lol but probably not but you gotta remember that the GAA Chronicles is a BRAND NEW game for everyone out of Japan. Feels like they'd wait a bit for that kind of release.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I have no idea what those games are
Classic Capcom series.

Final Fight is a beat em up (like Streets of Rage) that in fact has some characters appearing in Street Fighter for a long time (Poison, Hugo, Cody...)

Power Stone is a 3D fighting game, similar to Soul Calibur if I'm not mistaken.

And Captain Commando is another beat em up, though I'm not that familiar with it.

I've barely played any of those games but I think that rescuing classic series is always a good move, and those franchises had some fans asking for new games or remakes for a long time, so it's cool to see this. Also, if they're willing to bring those series in some capacity, which have been inactive for a long time, I don't see why they would not keep supporting Ace Attorney with more games after the TGAA duology.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The game is a lot more fun than it sounds in text, so I'll just leave this here.

In short, it's basically a fighter done in the format of a 3-D platformer.

Classic Capcom series.

Final Fight is a beat em up (like Streets of Rage) that in fact has some characters appearing in Street Fighter for a long time (Poison, Hugo, Cody...)

Power Stone is a 3D fighting game, similar to Soul Calibur if I'm not mistaken.

And Captain Commando is another beat em up, though I'm not that familiar with it.

I've barely played any of those games but I think that rescuing classic series is always a good move, and those franchises had some fans asking for new games or remakes for a long time, so it's cool to see this. Also, if they're willing to bring those series in some capacity, which have been inactive for a long time, I don't see why they would not keep supporting Ace Attorney with more games after the TGAA duology.
If Ghosts 'N Goblins was any indication, this kind of move has definitely got people's attention so far. In Final Fight's case, its remake will have a built-in audience who have experienced the characters in Street Fighter V (even Abigail and Lucia, of all people), to its benefit.

Captain Commando emulates Silver Age superheroes in the craziest way possible, by having you man a team that includes Capcom USA's former mascot as the leader, a mummy, a ninja, and a baby piloting a mech among its members. In this age of superhero modernization, it would fit right in.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Ok this is very unlikely, but just imagine:

Phoenix Wright is revealed at E3 and the Sakurai presents (which no Ace Attorney fan should miss) takes place at the end of July (this was the case for Hero, who was announced at E3 2019 and the Sakurai Presents took place on July 30th). The timing would be perfect to push the launch of The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (July 27th). Sakurai explains what Ace Attorney is and of course also mentions the new TGAAC, which he urges everyone to check out (similarly to how he advertised Dragon Quest XI S, which came out for the Nintendo Switch a few weeks after the Hero release in Smash).

Then Sakurai begins to talk about the character and his moveset - in the background you can always hear some of the new music tracks. We can see/hear a Pursuit Cornered remix, a Turnabout Sisters remix and when his alternative costume Ryunosuke Naruhodo is revealed, even music from The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is revealed, yay! At some point, however, we hear a completely unfamiliar track, an intense new pursuit theme which we have never known before. While 95 % of the people watching don't really realize anything, the hardcore Ace Attorney fans go wild during this point in the presentation and are wondering, what kind of song this is and what it does mean. Then slowly some of us have a hunch what this could lead to: Is this a song from an unknown new game...?!

At the end of the presentation Sakurai reveals the release date of Phoenix (August 3rd) and says goodbye... the screen goes black and suddenly... OBJECTION! Phoenix can be seen saying: "We are not quite done yet!" and then... a trailer for Ace Attorney 7 is revealed, accompanied by the same completely new pursuit theme we just heard in the Smash presentation. Nobody in the Ace Attorney community can contain their excitement anymore and this day will always be remembered as the greatest day ever for Ace Attorney fans.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Out of curiosity, will the Switch port of the Great Ace Attorney have both English and Japanese text? Like the other modern ports of Ace Attorney games?

I ask because i'm kinda interested in getting the two pack of both Chronicles and Trilogy but it seems that's Japan Only.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Out of curiosity, will the Switch port of the Great Ace Attorney have both English and Japanese text? Like the other modern ports of Ace Attorney games?

I ask because i'm kinda interested in getting the two pack of both Chronicles and Trilogy but it seems that's Japan Only.
As far as I know yes, the japanese version includes english subtitles as well.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I think we'll be seeing more of Ace Attorney this year, or at least a much bigger marketing push for TGAA. There's an official Instagram page for Ace Attorney now, at least.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
As far as I know yes, the japanese version includes english subtitles as well.
Afaik the western versions will NOT contain optional japanese text, only japanese audio. I think this is due to copyrights (in the English version they changed the names for this reason, e.g. Herlock Sholmes instead of Sherlock Holmes). Only the japanese version includes both english and japanese subtitles.

anyone know if the uk will?
Unfortunately, there won't be a retail version in the UK, only America and Japan get retail versions.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
arent you part of the common wealth?
Yeah, we're included in the 54 nations of it, I guess.

Afaik the western versions will NOT contain optional japanese text, only japanese audio. I think this is due to copyrights (in the English version they changed the names for this reason, e.g. Herlock Sholmes instead of Sherlock Holmes). Only the japanese version includes both english and japanese subtitles.

Unfortunately, there won't be a retail version in the UK, only America and Japan get retail versions.
More specifically, the Conan Doyle estate is the likely reason for the changes, seeing as they recently went down hard on anything that involved Sherlock, due to remaining source material having had yet to go under the public domain.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh, Switch games are region-free anyway, the only issue would be to import a copy (depending on costs and exchange rates).

It's kind of funny that British-oriented games tend to have region-free options though, between this and much of the Layton games.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

So it's confirmed that the Japanese version will have English subs?

I know i can justget the game physically in north american territories but i was considering importing Trilogy physically and i figured i could basically kill two birds with one stone as it were and get that double pack.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Wait really? What is it called? I tried to search for an official AA Instagram account but can't find one
@aceattorneygame, the official Capcom page links to it. It's not even verified yet, but it's interesting to note since it's the only other long-standing series to get an account outside of the big ones such as Street Fighter and Resident Evil.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
So it's confirmed that the Japanese version will have English subs?
Yes:
6788c39.jpg

Japan will also get Collector's Editions with merchandise (bag, tea box, CDs, keychains & artworks). More information with links, pictures and prices (the news is in German, but maybe you can turn on the translation tool):

And here the Japanese Capcom shop:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I really hope AA7 doesn't come out very close to Chronicles. I think each title should get its own spotlight, not stomp each other's sales
On the one hand... you are right and I totally agree: TGAAC is basically 2 full-fledged games in one bundle and I'd be completely fine if AA7 comes out sometime in 2022 - 3 AA games within half a year would probably be a bit too much. On the other hand - if Phoenix is planned as a dlc fighter for Smash, I really want AA7 to come out this year because I want AA7 content in Smash haha.

Oh btw, capcom (cafe) shared a new Ace Attorney artwork and it's beautiful:

Ace Attorney Artwork.jpg

Young Trucy and Pearly are also there <3

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
as is even if Phoenix was planned as one of our currently last 2 fighters and AA7 came out this year there's a very good chance we'd miss on content for the game given both are planned in advance. The best that could be hoped under that scenario is that we get a spirit/spirits event down the line, like when Sophia dropped as a spirit well over a year after Jokers release.
For AA7 to get stuff like music I feel we'd have to hope there's a fighters pass 3, Phoenix is a part of it and AA7 comes out relatively soon.

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
So Nintendo finally uploaded the trailer.
I was starting to think they could have been saving it for later... maybe for E3.... during the same direct as the next character announcement...

But nope. Anyway, it's not that weird, but I was getting my hopes up for a bit

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was starting to think they could have been saving it for later... maybe for E3.... during the same direct as the next character announcement...

ok what are nick and apollo dressed as in that avatar?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

They upload trailer stuff all the time, so I wouldn't take that as a hint.

I'm guessing Snake (Phoenix) and Raiden (Apollo).
Yeah, that's correct.

Incidentally, rumors imply that a port for Revengeance and a MGS1 remake might be coming, so since Konami is at E3, we'll see if anything comes out of those for the event's announcements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom