• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
So I was thinking... If that alleged extra fighter turns out to be real. What if it plays out after the presentation for the 6th fighter from pass 2, with Sakurai saying the DLC is now finished. But then Phoenix objects, pointing out the contradiction that one of the previous invitations (his) was stolen by Joker. Thus, the DLC can't be finished until that's rectified! And that's how he gets in, just when all hope seems lost. I think that'd make for a very fitting turnabout Smash reveal.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So I was thinking... If that alleged extra fighter turns out to be real. What if it plays out after the presentation for the 6th fighter from pass 2, with Sakurai saying the DLC is now finished. But then Phoenix objects, pointing out the contradiction that one of the previous invitations (his) was stolen by Joker. Thus, the DLC can't be finished until that's rectified! And that's how he gets in, just when all hope seems lost. I think that'd make for a very fitting turnabout Smash reveal.
Whether there's an extra DLC wave or so, I've pretty much been thinking that the next Sakurai Presents or so could be interrupted by Phoenix's voice.

No idea how it'd play out though. I honestly prefer to see how a reveal will happen for real.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I played the fan translation of the first The Great Ace Attorney. It was really refreshing to see a brand new cast of characters, plus case 3 in that game is one of my favorite Ace Attorney cases of all time. I’m very excited to play the sequel, plus I’m just happy that Ace Attorney is finally getting another game in the west.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm... not sure why he would have Ryunosuke's outfit as an alt over, like, an outfit he's actually worn.
He could easily have both, it doesn't have to take up four slots, Joker and Steve showed us we can have alts that only occupy 1 or 2 costumes. And character alts reference other characters with similar traits all the time, all the way back to 64.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
He could easily have both, it doesn't have to take up four slots, Joker and Steve showed us we can have alts that only occupy 1 or 2 costumes. And character alts reference other characters with similar traits all the time, all the way back to 64.
Right, but alts that reference other characters are basically always just color swaps. Texture swaps if you're lucky. We've never gotten a character that's outright wearing another character's outfit.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm not surprised this wasn't an E3 announcement for some reason, but II agree the last Direct sounded like a good time to give it a small spotlight (lord knows we didn't need all that time on SE latest timed exclusive). Wonder when Apollo will get a standalone release, as a part of me doubts it'd be packed together with DD and SoJ.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this spells good or bad things for Phoenix. On the one hand, it gives a solid promotional reason for him to be added. On the other, they didn't save it for E3 when a Smash reveal or two will likely be. Here's hoping he's just coming later and that's why they didn't want to wait to reveal this at the same time... And that we don't get a spirit event deconfirmation.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Not sure if this spells good or bad things for Phoenix. On the one hand, it gives a solid promotional reason for him to be added. On the other, they didn't save it for E3 when a Smash reveal or two will likely be. Here's hoping he's just coming later and that's why they didn't want to wait to reveal this at the same time... And that we don't get a spirit event deconfirmation.
I don't think this is a pro or a con either way, it's just good to see AA wake up from its dormant state at least for a game most of the west didn't get to experience.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Right, but alts that reference other characters are basically always just color swaps. Texture swaps if you're lucky. We've never gotten a character that's outright wearing another character's outfit.
I mean, he's his ancestor. We've had Link wearing outfits from other games despite them not being the same Links in both Smash and BOTW. It's clear the characters are based on each just in different time periods, like in Assassin's Creed.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The only question is whether or not you can get the bonus DLC stuff without preorders for Great Ace Attorney

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
The only question is whether or not you can get the bonus DLC stuff without preorders for Great Ace Attorney
It says on the website that it's available for a little after launch and may also be made available to purchase separately at a later date.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Official confirmation now.
So, Capcom is getting in on the whole shadow-drop thing now, huh? No big events, just announce the thing by itself when nothing interesting is going on.

But hey, it's coming a couple of days before my birthday, so that's convenient.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...brings_long-awaited_games_to_switch_this_july

Only concern is whether I can pre-order the physical release at our local specialty game store, so I'll have to see about that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Beautiful <3
So the leaks were very accurate (plan was to announce it in April and release it in July). This is a good sign regarding Ace Attorney 7 - maybe they didn't reveal TGAA at E3 because they want to reveal AA7 at E3 and both at the same time would be a little too much?
More like both would have been lost in the shuffle, seeing as other big-name company announcements could overshadow them there.

On that note, can anyone sort out everything that was on the Capcom megaleak that happened some time ago?

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Beautiful <3
So the leaks were very accurate (plan was to announce it in April and release it in July). This is a good sign regarding Ace Attorney 7 - maybe they didn't reveal TGAA at E3 because they want to reveal AA7 at E3 and both at the same time would be a little too much?
Honestly I'd call this a point AGAINST an AA7 coming out anytime soon. The Great Ace Attorney may be officially classified as a spin-off, and maybe for good reason, BUT the core gameplay is really the same as any other game in the series. If AA7 came out anytime this year, the GAA Chronicles and AA7 would cannibalize each other's sales, which any video game company wants to avoid.

Not that I'm complaining, though. As an American these are basically two new games for me anyways! I know nothing at all about what these games are about, idk why Sherlock Holmes is there, and I am so happy to go into one of these games blind.

Zyliee

Smash Cadet
I expect that we will get a trailer for this and AA7 in the next Direct. Basically around E3. we will see footage of TGAA in advertising it as "2 stories for the price of one. Play "The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles" this July 27. But that is not all..."

Cut to Smash Ultimate trailer slash and bam, You got an animated court case against Mario with Phoenix Wright getting in as a Capcom rep for Smash

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
its gonna funny to see in one of my favourite game series: herlock sholems one of the most famous characters to come from my homeland of locttsand

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, I find it interesting that they've decided to take the Alternate Jake Hunter: Daedalus The Awakening of Golden Jazz route in regards to keeping the characters' original names, for the localization. Maybe they want to ease the general players more into the Japanese roots of the series?

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
That logo is god tier imo

Also, i dont wanna sound pessimistic but we should be aware for any spirit events these following weeks

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Just popped in to say heck yeah. I played DGS1 last year translated and it was really enjoyable. This also points towards AA7 being a thing since the same leaks that said it was coming late 2021 said DGS would be an April reveal.

Even if Phoenix isn't one of the last spots, it looks like after some dry years, we have stuff to look forward to
now 👍

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Even having known about the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles for a while through the data breach, it’s so exciting to finally have an official announcement! Between the concert, this announcement, and my ongoing replay of the whole franchise, the Ace Attorney part of my brain is definitely getting fed, and I’m constantly being reminded of just how much I love this franchise.

I finished my replay of Apollo Justice a couple days ago, and I just got the Android versions of DD and SoJ — now my plan is to replay those two by the time the Great Ace Attorney releases.

Also, this line has become retroactively funnier:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You know, I find it interesting that they've decided to take the Alternate Jake Hunter: Daedalus The Awakening of Golden Jazz route in regards to keeping the characters' original names, for the localization. Maybe they want to ease the general players more into the Japanese roots of the series?
I think it was a really elegant way to finally tie together what Janet Hsu has been doing for the series when she took over localization starting with JFA, which is fleshing out the world of AA to be set in a version of America where anti-immigration laws during WWI weren't passed, meaning there's a stronger Japanese and Chinese immigrant population that were allowed to take root in California. This shows that Phoenix Wright himself is a descendant of Japanese immigrants, even if he may not be as aware of or in touch with his roots as someone like Maya. It's very cool to see.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Hey guys, its been a while since I checked this site but man I just wanna share my excitement for DGS finally getting localized, I teared up a lot this morning and I just couldn't be happier for this.
Gotta say though, kinda worried this game's releasing in such a stacked month and in the same day as TWEWY 2, Capcom better do a great job at advertising this game.

Top Bottom