• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yall are giving me hope... I was super hopeful and being all confident but now that there's only two spots left and I'd be really surprised if Pokemon didn't get one and I dunno if Phoenix is "worthy" of E3 or whatever... ahh, I guess bla bla bla until it's all over, but oof, I can't really stop hoping even when I've tried haha

I feel so silly too cause they've legit done a miraculous job, seriously astounding, phenomenal, but dumb ol me, even if they put in Cinderace, my second most wanted, I know I'd still feel this gap...nothing else can fill this dumb needing Ace Attorney in Smash gap I have...!
I think a Pokemon is still possible, but they've also specifically done a spirit event for SwSh and they released a Team Rocket Mii late in FPVol1. Feels like there's a bit going against it too. They did the same for Cuphead and I'm not exactly expecting him to come at this point.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Much as I dislike the idea I wouldn't cross out a gen 8 pokemon yet, Three Houses got a rep well past the release of that game, but I also wouldn't call it a guarantee like some people still believe it is, we've had gens entirely skipped from representation. The only thing I find ridiculous is people seriously thinking we'd get another gen 4 rep instead due to the remakes lol.
I imagine we'll get at least one of the fighters revealed by E3, but I dunno if they necessarily have to be big, I guess everytime Smash assisted to such an event we did have at least one 3rd party shown, but we also got "lesser" stuff like Wii Fit Trainer, Miis, Palutena and Roys return. And Smash kinda hasn't had the best track record for closures compared to some previous reveals in the games (:wolf::4duckhunt::4bayonetta::ultincineroar::ultbyleth:), so at the least I wouldn't cross out the possibility of Phoenix as fighter 5 with fighter 6 being both revealed during E3 or Phoenix closing things up despite being a 3rd party with fame more akin to Bayonetta and Terry (although I'd call him more recognizable than those thanks to internet culture, memes and Capcom being a bigger company that features him in crossovers compared to Platinum and SNK). Not like I'd take the whole "we need a big name to close Ultiimate" wiith much weight, most people that I read saying this are usually westerners that'd only feel satisfied if Crash or Sora closed things down, maybe something like Master Chief or Doom Slayer.
Capcom is the only third party apart from Square Enix to have 2 or more spirit events and a promotional spirit.
udgey.JPG

(not that I think this means much for a Capcom rep but it's an interesting thing to note none the less, and it just reminded me of this one scene haha).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seeing how reluctant the Pokémon Company has been in regards to having DLC for their own mainline games until recently, I wouldn't expect a Gen 8 Pokémon at this stage. Maybe a Gen 4 one for representing the D/P remakes or even Legends, but otherwise nah, I just can't see it.

View attachment 309788
(not that I think this means much for a Capcom rep but it's an interesting thing to note none the less, and it just reminded me of this one scene haha).
That's pretty apt, I'd say.

So far, there are some things I've seen in this speculation period that evidently are a pattern, which the average fan doesn't or refuses to see, like the returning third-party costumes from Smash 4 not leading to any promotions, and the WOL datamine or even the SSS (stage select screen) accidentally hinting at additional DLC as they get updated, to note some examples.

In this case, we have Capcom deliberately and continually setting aside their bigger sellers via spirits and costumes, despite the fact that of all the third-party companies involved so far they're the likeliest to jump at the chance to gain more profit. So to see them hold themselves back and settling for an Echo as a new fighter to bring in alongside their returning ones is rather odd behavior on their part.

Phoenix_Thinking_1.gif

Last edited:

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
There's been some talk going around in the main speculation thread about a weird discrepancy with a number being skipped in eShop DLC codes. There's a Reddit post that goes into depth about it (or you can also watch this PapaGenos video)

What could this mean? Is there going to be an Echo Fighter? A bonus character? Both of these sound good for our boy in blue. We could possibly get an Apollo/Edgeworth echo or Phoenix objecting to the end of the Fighters Pass in order to become a DLC. If it's the latter, hopefully he still gets his stage, spirits, and music.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, after peeking at that I immediately tried to rationalize an Apollo Justice or Edgeworth echo, an echo would make sense for a few things, but it doesn't completely work, cause that bonus spot I guess would be available to buy alone and buying an Echo of someone without the original seems kind of weird unless it's something like...Simon and Richter cause I hear they're kind of more popular than each other in different regions or something? I dunno, it seems whatever that bonus is you can buy it on its own so, while I wanna make sense of things for Phoenix haha, I just...don't think a NEW echo makes sense. An echo or semi-clone of an already existing character like Akuma for Ryu or Dixie for Diddy seems more plausible though...?

An "Objection!" and that possible one more being Phoenix... I mean... there's no ruuule right now saying that this hypothetical bonus fighter can't come with a stage and stuff...I guess?

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I agree that an Echo wouldn't make that much sense, I really hope it will be a bonus fighter: The Objection theory sounds almost too good to be true, at least it is a possibility. If it really is a standalone fighter without stage and music, unfortunately Phoenix doesn't really fit - I can see the final standalone fighter being Geno, Waluigi, Tabuu or maybe even Princess Zelda from BotW1/2.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Capcom is going to be participating in E3 this year. Does Ace Attorney have a good track record of showing up during E3? Is there any likelihood of Ace Attorney 7 or a 4-5-6 trilogy being revealed there?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Capcom is going to be participating in E3 this year. Does Ace Attorney have a good track record of showing up during E3? Is there any likelihood of Ace Attorney 7 or a 4-5-6 trilogy being revealed there?
Well, they showcased Ace Attorney 6 in great detail at E3, so there is that. I think they did some similar stuff with Ace Attorney 5 as well back in the day.

Each of the original trilogy localization installments got their own trailer at E3 so there's that as well. HD trilogy in 2014 as well as the crossover too showed up at E3.

Basically, our boy Phoenix and company, are no strangers to E3.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's been some talk going around in the main speculation thread about a weird discrepancy with a number being skipped in eShop DLC codes. There's a Reddit post that goes into depth about it (or you can also watch this PapaGenos video)

What could this mean? Is there going to be an Echo Fighter? A bonus character? Both of these sound good for our boy in blue. We could possibly get an Apollo/Edgeworth echo or Phoenix objecting to the end of the Fighters Pass in order to become a DLC. If it's the latter, hopefully he still gets his stage, spirits, and music.
If this isn't a weird oversight, it might spell good news for them making use of the datamined three remaining slots and three empty spaces in the stage select that would be left over after Pass 2 is finished. It all depends on what Sak says during the presentation for the next character.

I still don't think it'd be bonus fighters in the traditional sense, but up to three standalones that all come with content, like what 4 did for its DLC newcomers. :ultcloud::ultryu::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:

There's at least enough space left for that before the game reaches full capacity.

Well, they showcased Ace Attorney 6 in great detail at E3, so there is that. I think they did some similar stuff with Ace Attorney 5 as well back in the day.

Each of the original trilogy localization installments got their own trailer at E3 so there's that as well. HD trilogy in 2014 as well as the crossover too showed up at E3.

Basically, our boy Phoenix and company, are no strangers to E3.
If we hear absolutely nothing from Capcom this month, then chances are good that the period of E3 will have the lawyers make a showing. May generally doesn't have much of anything interesting going on.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If this isn't a weird oversight, it might spell good news for them making use of the datamined three remaining slots and three empty spaces in the stage select that would be left over after Pass 2 is finished. It all depends on what Sak says during the presentation for the next character.

I still don't think it'd be bonus fighters in the traditional sense, but up to three standalones that all come with content, like what 4 did for its DLC newcomers. :ultcloud::ultryu::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:

There's at least enough space left for that before the game reaches full capacity.
is that video based on the website error?

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Just a friendly reminder that tomorrow at 9pm JST / 6am EST the big (The Great) Ace Attorney concert will take place and if we are lucky they might reveal The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles there 👀

Also Ace Attorney handkerchiefs have been announced (I think for people who purchase concert tickets):

Last edited:

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
How's the concert hype in here? Ready for the Great Ace Attorney?

They've announced a second showing of the concert at a different time to accommodate for different time zones. I'm gonna guess that the DGS port announcement will be premiered in the first showing, so if you just want nice tunes, this is a good time to get 'em (provided that you have $42 USD on hand).

Heoj

Smash Ace
Dont get me wrong, the concert thing seems pretty cool, but i dont see why they would announce the port there, you know. Like to me it makes more sense for that to be announced later, maybe at e3

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
They didn't announce it, but they revealed some more infos like the official English name for the second game "The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve", a German song called "Ode an die Wut" and a character named "Albert Harebrayne" (a name that isn't present in the Japanese version). I guess it's just a matter of time until the official announcement.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Did anyone see the Ace Attorney concert yesterday? I actually decided to skip it because I didn’t feel like paying $42 for a link to a stream, plus I have listened to Ace Attorney concerts from previous years before. If we weren’t living in this pandemic and the concert was in-person, I definitely would have went to it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Capcom leak did say April.
What leak? For the news dump? I see some folks assume we're going to get a news dump from them, but I've yet to see that materialize and I don't feel like being bamboozled all month here.

Did anyone see the Ace Attorney concert yesterday?
Not much in terms of Info:

They didn't announce it, but they revealed some more infos like the official English name for the second game "The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve", a German song called "Ode an die Wut" and a character named "Albert Harebrayne" (a name that isn't present in the Japanese version). I guess it's just a matter of time until the official announcement.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's not crazy to assume some announcements/releases were delayed because of the pandemic.

The TGAA duology will come this year, that's for sure. Just a bit longer. And hopefully, Ace Attorney 7 exists.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's not entirely unreasonable to assume that some announcements have likely been moved to E3 (which would be for the best, since AA is kinda niche anyway).

I just doubt that we'll hear anything this month, regardless of whatever precedents that may have been set in prior years.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I guess no one is going to answer my earlier question. I’m not a fan of how some people only talk about the concert regarding potential announcements over the actual music, it was never advertised to announce anything. Regardless, I’ve been to events like The Symphony of the Godesses and the Pokémon Symphonic Orchestra, and they are real treats. Hopefully the Ace Attorney concert comes outside of Japan once this pandemic is over, I would love to go to one someday.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone see the Ace Attorney concert yesterday? I actually decided to skip it because I didn’t feel like paying $42 for a link to a stream, plus I have listened to Ace Attorney concerts from previous years before. If we weren’t living in this pandemic and the concert was in-person, I definitely would have went to it.
I watched it live (it was 6am for me lol). The arrangements were the same as past orchestra concerts, unless one of the Great Ace Attorney ones was new — I’m not familiar with the orchestral arrangements of those tracks. Still, I’m glad I got the chance to stream it live. They had a couple video messages from Shu Takumi and the lead composer for the Great Ace Attorney games, which were cool. The TGAA composer in particular talked about some of his musical/stylistic choices when writing the soundtrack, which I enjoyed hearing as a composer/arranger myself.

I wish the bits of banter with the voice actors for Phoenix/Edgeworth/Sherlock were subtitled, but it was live and a lot of it was ad-libbed, so I get why that’d be hard.

But yeah, overall I had a good time watching it.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't know what the hell this is, but it looks amazing (those character models omg):

(Apparently it's some kind of story expansion for the mobile game Teppen)
This was leaked some time ago when Capcom data was hacked and leaked. Teppen it's a Capcom mobile game using their IPs. I haven't tried it yet but yeah, the art of this game has been always so cool.

They seem to keep focusing on the OG trilogy though, but I guess that's better than nothing.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is the coolest trailer ever! I do wish it had second trilogy content, but considering how exciting and awesome this trailer is it's so wonderful to see it anyway. Lots of love poured in and the art looks incredible!! I wish I played mobile games because a Capcom card fighter sounds right up my alley since I loved Cardfighters Clash but I just...don't. But I'll be watching this trailer over and over; it fills me with delight seeing all these cool Capcom characters collide.

This is why I love Phoenix in crossovers! I need him in Smash so bad, but I'm happy we're getting any AA content at all.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I did something (the new artworks from Ace vs. The People), hope you enjoy <3

Phoenix Wright and Mia Fey looking so good:

Phoenix Wright Mia Fey.jpg

Ema Skye cute as ever:

Ema Skye.jpg

So happy to see Detective Gumshoe and Missile again:

Detective Gumshoe.jpg

Furio Tigre, Larry and a Frank West (Dead Rising) eating ramen:

Furio Tigre.jpg

And here are some more artworks (click onto spoiler):

Maya Fey, our favourite medium:

Maya Fey.jpg

Miles Edgeworth has style:

Miles Edgeworth.jpg

When something smells it's usually the (Larry) Butz:

Larry Butz.jpg

Wendy Oldbag doing what she does best - talking non-stop:

Wendy Oldbag.jpg

Omg, even Adrian Andrews is here:

Adrian Andrews.jpg

Trish from Devil May Cry in the witness stand, she looks great:

Devil Hunter Ace Attorney.jpg

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I did something (the new artworks from Ace vs. The People), hope you enjoy <3

Phoenix Wright and Mia Fey looking so good:

View attachment 311616

Ema Skye cute as ever:

View attachment 311617

So happy to see Detective Gumshoe and Missile again:

View attachment 311618

Furio Tigre, Larry and a new character eating ramen:

View attachment 311619

And here are some more artworks (click onto spoiler):

Maya Fey, our favourite medium:

View attachment 311620

Miles Edgeworth has style:

View attachment 311621

When something smells it's usually the (Larry) Butz:

View attachment 311622

Wendy Oldbag doing what she does best - talking non-stop:

View attachment 311623

Omg, even Adrian Andrews is here:

View attachment 311624

A new witness, she looks great:

View attachment 311625
These are amazing! For the record, the "new characters" are Frank West from Dead Rising and Trish from Devil May Cry! There are so many awesome Capcom cameos in this trailer and so much love shown that it makes my heart sing. There's even a special pic, like the Adrian one, of Dan Hibiki from Street Fighter meeting with Furio Tigre! It's amazing!

Top Bottom