• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, he doesn't pick his own characters, however he gets suggestions from Nintendo and in the end it's still up to him whether to include the characters or not. If Sakurai thinks it is too difficult to include a fighter, then he can decline the suggestion.

Assuming Nintendo had suggested Phoenix Wright amongst other characters in 2019 for the Fighter's Pass 2 and assuming Sakurai hadn't played Ace Attorney before, wouldn't it be difficult for him to decide whether he can implement Phoenix in Smash? He'd probably have to play Ace Attorney first and then decide and this takes some time.

But yeah, maybe Sakurai already played Ace Attorney (there was this one photo with Sakurai and Takumi), so who knows, he might even be a fan of the games. It would be a dream come true listening to a Sakurai Presents were he talks about Ace Attorney and Phoenix' moveset origins for 30+ minutes.
well bare in mind we dont know how the suggestion process works. he has said that they suggest characters but when talking about min min's inclusion it sounded like they suggested the game rather than a character. and he was still able to chose pyra/mythra over rex so he does still have a certain degree of control.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd say that it's certainly a case-by-case basis. If for some reason the most heavily advertised main character for a game or series doesn't get in, they go for the next best thing. This hasn't affected third-party characters so far, just first-party ones, although there was a contingency plan in place if Hero didn't work out coding-wise.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Here's a probably-untrue theory: Dark Pit glitching doesn't mean that the next fighter is gonna shoot a projectile. Rather, it means that there will be an Echo Fighter with the next character to keep up with the uniqueness of this DLC pass. This kinda works for Nick, no?

Who do you guys think would make the best Echo for Phoenix? It's mostly between Edgeworth and Apollo, but I think Apollo would be a better fit. It provides some representation for the post-trilogy era (although Edgey gets points for repping AAI), he's still decently popular compared to Edgeworth (at least in Japan), and he's a lot more goofy than him. Phoenix would no doubt have silly attacks like tripping over and would be clumsy in general, which would be very out of character for Edgeworth. I see him as a better semi-clone. I guess some issues could arise with Apollo's shortness when it comes to porting animations over from Phoenix, though.
I mean, echoes can have different animations, so I think Edgeworth should get the echo spot, and Apollo should be the alt (Wright's goofiness would probably mostly fit him too, and I guess proportions can be tweaked to make Apollo a bit taller)

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I mean, echoes can have different animations, so I think Edgeworth should get the echo spot, and Apollo should be the alt (Wright's goofiness would probably mostly fit him too, and I guess proportions can be tweaked to make Apollo a bit taller)
Though, then who would be a good alt for Edgeworth?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
surely mia would be a better fit as she deliberately had similar animations to nick

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
So Ace Attorney celebrates 20th anniversary on October 12th, which is a Tuesday. Steve came out on October 13th 2020 (in America), let's hope Phoenix will be released on the October 12th 2021 anniversary, by then Great Ace Attorney Chronicles should already be released.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Can't remember if I already posted this, but I thought I'd put up my list of Ace Attorney spirit fighters that would come with Phoenix.

-----

Maya Fey
Fighter(s): Daisy (purple) and Palutena (black)
Stage: Suzaku Castle
Battle Rules: Reinforcements will appear during the battle when the enemy's at high damage

Miles Edgeworth
Fighter(s): Marth (red)
Stage: Courtroom #4
Battle Rules: The enemy's physical attacks have increased power:
The enemy's special attacks have increased power:
Periodic earthquakes will shake the stage

Pearl Fey
Fighter(s): Isabelle (pink)
Stage: Living Room
Battle Rules: The enemy starts the battle with a Beastball

Franziska von Karma
Fighter(s): Simon Belmont (grey and purple)
Stage: New Donk City Hall
Battle Rules: The enemy favors physical attacks
The enemy's physical attacks have increased power:

Detective Gumshoe
Fighter(s): Donkey Kong (green)
Stage: Wrecking Crew
Battle Rules: Left and right controls will suddenly reverse after a little while

Godot
Fighter(s): Giant Meta-Knight (navy)
Stage:Wuhu Island (bridge)
Battle Rules: The floor is poisonous
The enemy reflects projectiles

Apollo Justice
Fighter(s): Phoenix (red)
Stage: Castle Siege (interior)
Battle Rules: The enemy has increased move speed
Dangerously high winds are in effect

Mia Fey
Fighter(s): Palutena (black), Daisy (purple) and Phoenix (blue)
Stage: Tomodachi Life
Battle Rules: The enemy will be invincible after a little while (Palutena)

Athena Cykes
Fighter(s): Zero Suit Samus (yellow) and ROB (red)
Stage: Frigate Orpheon
Battle Rules: Defeat the main fighter to win

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
So Ace Attorney celebrates 20th anniversary on October 12th, which is a Tuesday. Steve came out on October 13th 2020 (in America), let's hope Phoenix will be released on the October 12th 2021 anniversary, by then Great Ace Attorney Chronicles should already be released.
Speaking of which, Spirit of Justice will be a 5 year old game this year. I know there was a long gap between Apollo Justice (2007) and Dual Destinies (2013), but hopefully we won’t have to wait much longer for an announcement for Ace Attorney 7.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's rather unlikely given how the reveals and releases have gone. The longest time gap between a reveal and a release was between MinMin and Steve, but every other fighter afterwards came out just a little over 2 months for both the reveals and releases respectively. Even if Nintendo chooses to hold off the release of FP10 (which most are speculating to happen in either May or in the month of June to coincide with E3 this year), that leaves at most slightly over 6 months. We'll see the end of this pass by the end of September

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
sure but thats the thinnest connection for a spirit fighter yet
This kind of thing never stopped the Spirit Team before, and there's been even thinner connections than that (e.g. both Gruntilda and :ultkingdedede: are fat and can fly, but that's it), or in some cases none at all (e.g. :ultdaisy: basically having nothing in common with Risky Boots).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This kind of thing never stopped the Spirit Team before, and there's been even thinner connections than that (e.g. both Gruntilda and :ultkingdedede: are fat and can fly, but that's it), or in some cases none at all (e.g. :ultdaisy: basically having nothing in common with Risky Boots).
I don’t dispute that I just don’t think we do make it worse

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What are you on about?
that spirits have very thin connections to their fighter many of which seem to have been chosen over better choices, like baby peach on isabelle or white pikmin on kirby. and putting an edgeworth spirit on sephiroth would just be make this daft thing worse. i realise that its a very minor thing but what are gamers if not nitpicky?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
DLC Fighters don't show up out of their own spirit boards anyway, but I'd feel fine about Sephiroth representing Edgeworth, the hair's close and he's threatening...but probably too threatening haha Edgeworth is a bit dorkier than Seph... The only other choices I could imagine would either be a mii costume or an alt of Phoenix, but then Phoenix is toooo dorky and not threatening enough so yeah it's tough!

Edit: Oh, I didn't see...yeah Red Marth works well enough, great!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think we should drop the topic, because it isn't making sense anymore.

Now, about how this for the next item: in the event that Fighter's Pass 3 does indeed exist, in which character's presentation do you think it would be announced, CP10 or CP11?

Edit: Just to clear things up, I'm talking about the character presentation streams, not their reveals.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
On one hand, I'd say E3 is as good of a time as ever to make such an announcement with CP10 (and maybe 11, who knows), but then again, I think everytime we got an announcement on more DLC it's been outside of that?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On one hand, I'd say E3 is as good of a time as ever to make such an announcement with CP10 (and maybe 11, who knows), but then again, I think everytime we got an announcement on more DLC it's been outside of that?
I was talking about the Sakurai presentations, not the reveals themselves (or events attached to them). The presentations are always when more DLC is announced, so my estimate is that we'd hear of an extension on July at the earliest (or June, if CP10 gets revealed on May), August at the latest.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I was talking about the Sakurai presentations, not the reveals themselves (or events attached to them). The presentations are always when more DLC is announced, so my estimate is that we'd hear of an extension on July at the earliest (or June, if CP10 gets revealed on May), August at the latest.
ah right, I forgot FP2 wasn't announced with Terry's reveal, just that DLC would continue past the first fighters pass.
I imagine they might handle things similarly and announce things will continue past FP2 and give more details as to what that entails after the presentation of CP11. To hold people onto their seats until the very end or something along those lines, they sure like keeping us in the dark for as long as possible with this franchise.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
ah right, I forgot FP2 wasn't announced with Terry's reveal, just that DLC would continue past the first fighters pass.
I imagine they might handle things similarly and announce things will continue past FP2 and give more details as to what that entails after the presentation of CP11. To hold people onto their seats until the very end or something along those lines, they sure like keeping us in the dark for as long as possible with this franchise.
Sak values surprises, so it's more consistent in that regard compared to some of the other fighting franchises (especially Street Fighter, we're still waiting to hear about SFV's final DLC character after the rest of Character Pass 5's fighters (aside the bonus fighter Eleven) were announced in one go, back in Summer).

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
This was posted in the general speculation thread, but I wanted to post this here for people who don't know.

Last edited:

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
This was posted in the general speculation thread, but I wanted to post this here for people who don't know.

It does cost a pretty penny to see it both live and as a VOD, though, and it's on at 3 AM PST, but it's great to see Capcom remembering Ace Attorney's 20th anniversary.

By the way, the program seems to list a ton of Great Ace Attorney... would it be possible for them to reveal its rerelease then?

Last edited:

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Just some food for thought: Nintendo just announced a Monster Hunter Rise spirit event. Previously we got some Capcom content (mii costumes + a spirit from Ghost 'n Goblins-Arthur - and the Resident Evil event was already some time ago). Before and after we got Sephiroth, there were also some Square Enix spirit events (Spirits of Mana, Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default II), so the situation is very similar. With so much content, the connection between Capcom and Nintendo must be pretty close, who knows, maybe we do get a Capcom rep after all?

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
With Monster Hunter joining Resident Evil in new spirits being added, it really narrows down who a Capcom character could be. I think the most likely options right now are Phoenix Wright, Dante, and Chun-Li, with Amaterasu as an unlikely but possible dark horse pick.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I called the spirit event months ago, yet no one believed me. Feels like a real PW case closing right there.

Phoenix_Confident_1.gif

Just some food for thought: Nintendo just announced a Monster Hunter Rise spirit event. Previously we got some Capcom content (mii costumes + a spirit from Ghost 'n Goblins-Arthur - and the Resident Evil event was already some time ago). Before and after we got Sephiroth, there were also some Square Enix spirit events (Spirits of Mana, Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default II), so the situation is very similar. With so much content, the connection between Capcom and Nintendo must be pretty close, who knows, maybe we do get a Capcom rep after all?
I figure that Capcom has been trying to pinpoint what unique newcomer they'd want included, but ran into issues so far, seeing as most of their best sellers/big properties have been relegated to minor content or didn't get too much that was new. The only one that's in the way left is Devil May Cry (if one ignores the rumors about Chun-Li having once been briefly considered for the base), but who knows, really?

In the meantime, there's rumors about a news dump from them sometime this month, so we'll see what happens there.

Phoenix_Thinking_1.gif

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yall are giving me hope... I was super hopeful and being all confident but now that there's only two spots left and I'd be really surprised if Pokemon didn't get one and I dunno if Phoenix is "worthy" of E3 or whatever... ahh, I guess bla bla bla until it's all over, but oof, I can't really stop hoping even when I've tried haha

I feel so silly too cause they've legit done a miraculous job, seriously astounding, phenomenal, but dumb ol me, even if they put in Cinderace, my second most wanted, I know I'd still feel this gap...nothing else can fill this dumb needing Ace Attorney in Smash gap I have...!

Top Bottom