• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
i know im the same age as sonic
To get back on topic, if Ace Attorney, Doki Doki Literature Club, Danganronpa, and Fate/Stay Night are all eligible for smash. Would most visual novel franchises be eligible for Smash, given that Visual Novels count as videogames?

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
To get back on topic, if Ace Attorney, Doki Doki Literature Club, Danganronpa, and Fate/Stay Night are all eligible for smash. Would most visual novel franchises be eligible for Smash, given that Visual Novels count as videogames?
I dont see why they wouldn't. The only requirement is that the character originates from a video game and all of those are originally video games

zumaddy

Smash Ace
After Capcom's "must see announcement" was another Ace Attorney Trilogy re-release, I'm being very cautiously optimistic for the anniversary, even with the alleged leaks of AA7. Here's hoping it's a good one. I personally really want Athena to get a starring role, but it doesn't seem likely to me for the next title sadly.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
From a business perspective...like, maybe I'm kidding myself, but... yeah, Phoenix is unique, no one else from any other game could fight like him, yeah he's got great and obvious choices for music and spirits and a stage, he's got fan demand, so all that aside, trying to think from a business perspective...

...aren't Monster Hunter and DMC doing like...fine?? It seems like one of the only problems with Ace Attorney is popularity so wouldn't Capcom sell more games and Nintendo get more profits marketing a character that has released on Nintendo systems and will probably keep doing so...? I mean, I dunno, maybe I'm simplifying it, but sometimes the right solution is the simplest one, if I know Ace Attorney's big in Japan but it's like OKAY everywhere else like in NA where they've only been offering digital downloads then like...I wanna market that one and get it as big as the other things and as big as it is in Japan...

I know Visual Novels also suffer from the unique problem of like "Oh, well, shouldn't I play the others first?" like I tell my buds to start with the trilogy even though every game puts a lot of work into introducing new players too and re-introducing every character so everyone's caught up and everything, agh... I'm sort of just rambling now and kinda lost where I was going, but yeah, marketing visual novels can be awkward and uh... I guess I just feel like we already have Rathalos advertising Monster Hunter, Dante is fine but like, eh, I don't see his addition to Smash making much of a difference in Smash or DMC sales (dumb of me?? I don't know!) and Phoenix is just way more unique and would get much more of a boost! Maybe so much so that they'd actually be confident in selling physical copies over here!

When I first gave Ace Attorney a chance I instantly loved the music, aesthetic, characters and more! People who have heard of Ace Attorney, I ask my friends, some of em don't know what to think, I ask "You think it's just like what, paperwork simulator or somethin?" and they're like "I dunno, I guess I just didn't think of it! They yell? Do you have to be smart?" Dude, you put Phoenix and Maya in Smash being goofballs and SOOOO many people are ganna fall in love with them instantly and want to try out Ace Attorney like "Wait THESE goofs go to COURT?" And I feel like you put Dante in and people are like "Yeah, he slashes sword and shoots gun and does lil zingers, I know" right? No? I guess I dunno.

I mean, nothing against Dante, I have buddies that want him, if he got in, hey sure, he just doesn't seem that unique or have the same wow factor as like Sephiroth whereas I think twitter would get a real great laugh out of Phoenix presenting evidence to Ganondorf or Pichu.

I rambled a lot and could have been clearer but hopefully I got across that I think uh, from a business perspective, isn't the best business move, if you're ganna pick from Phoenix, Dante, or Monster Hunter... to go with Phoenix??
This right here, has always been one of the reasons why Phoenix Wright has,ever since Smash 4, been my most wanted Smash pick.

You get added to Smash, and always, your franchise gets a boost in popularity.

Phoenix, one of the longest running Capcom characters there is, could really use the recognition surge.

Not only does he deserve ot, but more sales would also boost the chances that Capcom would finally localize Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (brilliant fan localization that we already have, aside).

Getting into Smash would easily be one of the best things that could happen for Ace Attorney and its sales. Something I certainly hope Capcom isn't deaf to.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
For anyone interested, here's a resource of the differences between the English and Japanese speech style and honorifics used by Ace Attorney characters.

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet
Just had the fortune of seeing this on Twitter:

What would you guys want for Phoenix's victory music? Should it be an arrangement of Cornered or Objection? A victory theme? A new case jingle?

Personally, I think Turnabout Sisters would do nicely. The part from 0:33 to 0:38 would be great.
I would definitely want one of the themes after they win a case probably a upbeat version of the one from the first case

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
What would you guys want for Phoenix's victory music? Should it be an arrangement of Cornered or Objection? A victory theme? A new case jingle?
There are many possibilities, I decided to make a comprehensive list of the best fanmade victory musics I could find. Yeah, I can imagine a short version of one of the saving jingles like in the video that you posted (here is the YouTube version):

Or a short part of one of the victory themes, for instance the one from Spirit of Justice:

...or the one from the first Ace Attorney (maybe a little bit shortened):

Or how about combining the saving jingle with the victory theme - if Apollo Justice makes it as an Echo (or an alternative costume), the following medley could work really well (the victory theme could loop like the one from Persona 3/4/5 (Joker) or Final Fantasy VII (Cloud):

Maybe, if we are lucky, we get different victory musics depending on the skin we are using? Since The Great Ace Attorney seems to be localized, we might get a Ryonusuke Naruhodo skin and then the following music would be fitting:

But since you were mentioning an arrangement of Pursuit Cornered, I honestly think this would be the most likely and fitting option, it would sound like this:

or this Pursuit Cornered jingle (that's my personal favourite):

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
the case end tracks are too mellow for a victory track for my liking, I'd prefer a short remixed version of the original objection or pursuit 2001 themes as they are as iconic as they get for the franchise.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Dang. I missed out on the attempt.
Oh well, in any case, since I've wanted for some time now, to participate in that thread, I've been meaning to ask, how exactly does it work there?
its just a bit of speculation really. you give both how likely you think a character is and how much you want them in the form of a percentage. for example i gave nick 50% for chance because i believe it could go either way and a 100% for want because hes awesome. you also have to explain you reasons for both in how much detail is up to you. but the more detail you put the more you can put in nominations for characters you would like to rate the chances of. you get five nominations for writing two sentences for both want and chance and you get 10 for at least five sentences in each. if you dont think you know enough to rate a character you can just abstain and youll still get 5 noms.

GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 did i miss anything?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
its just a bit of speculation really. you give both how likely you think a character is and how much you want them in the form of a percentage. for example i gave nick 50% for chance because i believe it could go either way and a 100% for want because hes awesome. you also have to explain you reasons for both in how much detail is up to you. but the more detail you put the more you can put in nominations for characters you would like to rate the chances of. you get five nominations for writing two sentences for both want and chance and you get 10 for at least five sentences in each. if you dont think you know enough to rate a character you can just abstain and youll still get 5 noms.

GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 did i miss anything?
I think that covers all of it.

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet
So Nintendo just reposted the fighter pack 8 mii costumes trailer, I don't remember them doing that before with the other packs? almost gave me a heartattack that we got a new fighter or something

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe it was already posted here and I was thinking of sharing this in the Newcomer Speculation thread, but I found this again and thought you guys would enjoy it. It's ****ing hilarious. The best 1 minute and 40 seconds of my life

Original source:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

MattX20

Smash Hero
Maybe it was already posted here and I was thinking of sharing this in the Newcomer Speculation thread, but I found this again and thought you guys would enjoy it. It's ****ing hilarious. The best 1 minute and 40 seconds of my life

Original source:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I do recall seeing this a little while ago. Good stuff

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, there's a bot that turns Reddit arguments into courtroom battles.

https://mashable.com/article/reddit-bot-arguments-ace-attorney/

That, is glorious.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom? Alongside Phoenix? Yeah...
I don't want to be reminded of the missed opportunities for that game. To think we never got to see Speedy Cerviche because of Tatsu not being aware how popular Samurai Pizza Cats was in the West.

In all seriousness though, I could see her be a very popular candidate for second rep alongside Edgeworth, if Nick did get in.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Meanwhile, there's a bot that turns Reddit arguments into courtroom battles.

https://mashable.com/article/reddit-bot-arguments-ace-attorney/

That, is glorious.

I don't want to be reminded of the missed opportunities for that game. To think we never got to see Speedy Cerviche because of Tatsu not being aware how popular Samurai Pizza Cats was in the West.

In all seriousness though, I could see her be a very popular candidate for second rep alongside Edgeworth, if Nick did get in.
But both completely pale in comparison to the TRUE second Ace Attorney rep

a3d0a67e9216d3ccc384605c5802952bd59b40d8_hq.png

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
We had a discussion about this a while ago, but would it be possible for Phoenix to have any purposeful physical attacks (e.g. a generic punch combo) without being too out of character? Maybe something derived from source material could work, like Phoenix breaking down the door in 2-2 or Apollo's uppercut in 4-1.

Top Bottom