• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Even if the Monster Hunter Mii costumes do make it in (before another Capcom character gets added of course), we should still be wary. The costumes are based on just armour sets. It's not like a Hunter character has to be wearing Rathalos armour.
I don't see the costume getting in before the Hunter, but would expect them to come alongside it. Though that being said, if the Monster Hunter costumes come back without a Capcom character then I think the chances of us getting anyone from Capcom will go down.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Ah my most wanted.

I remember picking up the Ace Attorney series after a dear friend egged me on to get it. At the time I never really found the appeal of visual novels. Once I picked up a copy of the game i found myself strangely hooked, and by the final case I was a fan and eagerly went out to get the sequels. I love how goofy and over-the-top it can be while still having some good drama to it.

Phoenix has been the top choice for me in Smash since Banjo and Kazooie were added. Not just because he's the main character for the majority of the games, but he's one of my personal favorite characters in the series.

As far as movesets are concerned, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 was a good demonstration of what he could do, even if I feel he was a bit too gimmicky for an intense game like that and it's not until he goes into Turnabout mode that he's really usable. I think Phoenix might be more at home in a series like Smash where he can better weaponize his lawyer abilities. One possible idea I had that rather then searching for evidence, his mechanic would be where he uses certain attacks depending on the battle situation to 'interrogate' his enemies and build up knowledge of their weaknesses to make his moves stronger on them.

Though honestly, even if all we got was a Mii Brawler costume of his spikey hair and blue suit, I'd be happy with that too. Just some representation at all would be great. I even made a Mii Fighter to go with it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh I am, I just still feel mild disappointment on occasion. Particularly when they throw in Pokémon of the week or FE character of the week.
Not that I don't like Pokémon or FE, but man they don't really make for very hype reveals.
especially not the last two

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I didn't care for Incineroar at all and he ended being one of my most played characters for months. He's fun in my opinion.

And Byleth, while I wasn't excited about his inclusion, fits my playstyle very well so I frequently use him.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've had dreams of exactly two Smash character reveals. I didn't think much of them until one of them happened.

Sephiroth.

The other was Phoenix Wright, with a Ryūnosuke Naruhodō alt, and corresponding music from both of their games.

I feel like I can safely place my bets on Wright at this point.
As much as I would want Edgeworth as an echo I can't argue with a prophetic dream if it ends in Phoenix in Smash. C'mon Sakurai, hit us with it!

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I've had dreams of exactly two Smash character reveals. I didn't think much of them until one of them happened.

Sephiroth.

The other was Phoenix Wright, with a Ryūnosuke Naruhodō alt, and corresponding music from both of their games.

Well, that's the only evidence I need, personally.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
24218561 said:
As much as I would want Edgeworth as an echo I can't argue with a prophetic dream if it ends in Phoenix in Smash. C'mon Sakurai, hit us with it!
If Phoenix Wrights Classic mode Congratulations screen isn't him pointing and shouting objection at Kirby with the Sephiroth hair I'm cancelling Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Sephiroth.

I hope you know, if we do get Phoenix you will be heralded as a messiah.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Hey fellas, we've got some new developments regarding the speculation scene on Capcom characters (more specifically, Monster Hunter). The DLC speculation thread was all over this yesterday, but I think it's something we ought to discuss here, too.

A guy named Imran Khan leaked some information about Monster Hunter. Supposedly, the MH team really does dislike having a Hunter in crossovers, and their negotiation with Nintendo fell flat. Moveset ideas were then taken by Byleth, who was apparently planned to be in the base game.

Now, it may seem ridiculous that Byleth, a character from 2019, was considered way back in 2015 when the base roster was decided, but do keep in mind that Three Houses was in the planning stage directly after Fire Emblem Fates was released, which was in June 2015. The initial release date of Three Houses was also supposed to be in 2018 before it was delayed. Imran has a fair amount of credibility, being an ex-senior editor at Game Informer. As with every leak, though, take a healthy dose of skepticism with this. Imran is also skeptical about this claim.

He mentioned that he doesn't think a Capcom character is likely at all, too.

On a side note, the fact that Ace Attorney is celebrating its 20th anniversary probably shouldn't be held as strong evidence of Phoenix's inclusion. There are a ton of anniversaries happening in 2021. Devil May Cry's 20th, Resident Evil's 25th, Pokemon's 25th, Zelda's 35th, Sonic's 30th, and Halo's 20th are just a few of the anniversaries next year.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hey fellas, we've got some new developments regarding the speculation scene on Capcom characters (more specifically, Monster Hunter). The DLC speculation thread was all over this yesterday, but I think it's something we ought to discuss here, too.

A guy named Imran Khan leaked some information about Monster Hunter. Supposedly, the MH team really does dislike having a Hunter in crossovers, and their negotiation with Nintendo fell flat. Moveset ideas were then taken by Byleth, who was apparently planned to be in the base game.

Now, it may seem ridiculous that Byleth, a character from 2019, was considered way back in 2015 when the base roster was decided, but do keep in mind that Three Houses was in the planning stage directly after Fire Emblem Fates was released, which was in June 2015. The initial release date of Three Houses was also supposed to be in 2018 before it was delayed. Imran has a fair amount of credibility, being an ex-senior editor at Game Informer. As with every leak, though, take a healthy dose of skepticism with this. Imran is also skeptical about this claim.

On a side note, the fact that Ace Attorney is celebrating its 20th anniversary probably shouldn't be held as strong evidence of Phoenix's inclusion. There are a ton of anniversaries happening in 2021. Devil May Cry's 20th, Resident Evil's 25th, Pokemon's 25th, Zelda's 35th, Sonic's 30th, and Halo's 20th are all some of the anniversaries happening next year.
I'm going to take Imran's words with a HUGE grain of salt. The "Monster Hunter devs don't like using the Hunter in things" is unsourced information from Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite that has never actually been proven, and the Hunter and armor sets HAVE shown up in other properties before. I also think the Byleth stuff is too unbelievable timeline-wise to make any sense at all. Imran himself being skeptical makes me doubt it even more.

That said, it is interesting that we've yet to get Capcom costumes this pass despite them being freely handed out last pass. Either we have an RPG or fantasy rep coming soon, a Capcom rep in general, or Monster Hunter is upgraded. Some interesting things to consider for sure.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
The wording he used for this was a bit weird. When asked if he thought there was a Capcom character in the pass he responded "Think? No." which could imply that he doesn't think but knows there is a Capcom rep, or it could just be that he doesn't think there will be.
I'm no master speculator but I would honestly be surprised if we didn't get a Capcom rep of some sort this pass. Between the lack of any Capcom mii costumes in Pass 2 when Pass 1 had a bunch, the still missing MH mii costumes, and Capcom being one of the few third parties that have had a spirit event with Resident Evil. Square was another third party that had a few spirit events and they ended up getting another character with Sephiroth.
It could always not happen, but they are the only company I really expect to see in the rest of the pass besides maybe Namco.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

That's some pretty interesting stuff if true man I'm sick of all these FE self inserts and that series getting special "promotional character" treatment for newer games
This we'll have to see how it holds up by the end of the pass but oh boy, that speaks ill of my interest in the rest of the DLC as I have like no hopes for any non Capcom characters that I want by now.
On a side note, the fact that Ace Attorney is celebrating its 20th anniversary probably shouldn't be held as strong evidence of Phoenix's inclusion. There are a ton of anniversaries happening in 2021. Devil May Cry's 20th, Resident Evil's 25th, Pokemon's 25th, Zelda's 35th, Sonic's 30th, and Halo's 20th are all some of the anniversaries happening next year.
Yeah, we've seen anniversaries come and go before without much fanfare (I don't think we got any reveals or news for Ultimate release anniversary?), that's not something to hold in much regard for any potential announcements.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The wording he used for this was a bit weird. When asked if he thought there was a Capcom character in the pass he responded "Think? No." which could imply that he doesn't think but knows there is a Capcom rep, or it could just be that he doesn't think there will be.
In my eyes, that wording definitely implies that he knows there will be a Capcom rep. English is a fickle language, but to describe it as best as my -5 IQ brain can, there's a difference between "no, I don't think there will be a Capcom rep" and "no, I don't think there will be a Capcom rep."

The latter is the vibe I get from that statement.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
The fact we got a resident evil spirit event should clearly tell us that capcom isnt done with smash, at least in my opinion. Even if imran khan might doybt a capcom rep, i still definitely expect one more

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like it's more likely that he's saying that he doesn't have any information one way or the other and it's just his personal opinion that it's not happening.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
To add on to the Monster Hunter developers disliking Hunters in crossovers, apparently adding the Hunter to Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite was what sealed the deal. The lackluster performance of the game soured their mood for good.
Once again, this has never been sourced. Ever. It's a rumor that started around MVCI that went out of hand, especially because the Hunter has shown up in crossovers later, such as in Puzzles and Dragons.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

Sephiroth.

I've dreamed:
Lego Man
2B
A Pink Hippopotamus.
I think there have been a couple others.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
To add on to the Monster Hunter developers disliking Hunters in crossovers, apparently adding the Hunter to Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite was what sealed the deal. The lackluster performance of the game soured their mood for good.
I hope that doesn't mean what I think it means...
Felyne_HHD.png

I want my dude Felyne back you guys...

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Even if the Monster Hunter dev thing is true, I don't think it matters. If anyone could change their minds, it would be Sakurai.
Personally I'd be happy with any Capcom character, though Nick is my personal preference. But I'm not that confident in Capcom, the gigaleak definately dealt a blow, though tbf they don't seem to have got everything so it's not impossible.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I've seen a resurgence of new Ace Attorney fans recently, I think it's due to the AA trilogy being on Switch plus a few internet personalities like Prozd getting people into it with skits and voice acting related to the series. It's nice :)

Also late but I will not stand for Incineroar disparagement in this thread

cini.png

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I feel like overall Phoenix Wright came out of this reveal fairly well.

We've already gotten three characters for this pass most people didn't see coming. Obviously that's more like saying "well, anything could happen!" but at least I think it's a sign not to get too caught up in what the community thinks about likeliness. (or better yet maybe, don't get caught up in it at all)
I'd say it also helps NIck's case by showing that third party companies aren't afraid of getting more reps here and there too.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, the update that came with Sephiroth brought the number of empty spaces down to just 3 in the voice test menu. It basically means a character alt is less likely for Phoenix, but he still is in the running

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

Sephiroth.

I can relate actually. Not only was Sephiroth one of my predictions, but he was Number 2 on my list of most wanted characters for Ultimate, of which Phoenix Wright is till number 1. Cloud, back in Smash 4 was my number 2 pick as well and he got in!

Now Eggman is Number2 for me and I'm feeling good about him!

Other characters on my list have been Ridley, Inkling, Simon Belmont, Min Min, Joker, and even Incineroar! You can bet how that's been going!
I have very good feelings of what's to come if my streak continues.

Top Bottom