• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
giving Phoenix the mood matrix (or Apollo's bracelet for that matter) just doesn't sit well with me. I know Smash takes some liberties with what characters can do compared to their origin games (like Ness or Ike), but I feel he shouldn't borrows his fellow lawyers exclusive perks in his transition to the battlefield.
Also is Gex in that thumbnail lol.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
that is so wrong
It's better than nothing. I remember how agonizing it was to see Brawl costume mods like King K. Rool with King Dedede's moveset, as well as Banjo & Kazooie with Mario's moveset, wishing that we got the real characters instead. It also takes a ton of time to create a moveset mod. A model swap is a lot easier to create. If anything, it just gives us a glimpse on what a character could potentially look like in Ultimate. Hopefully the real Phoenix Wright becomes playable soon, not the phony Xin Eohp, but I personally think it's cool to see mods like this regardless.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's better than nothing. I remember how agonizing it was to see Brawl costume mods like King K. Rool with King Dedede's moveset, as well as Banjo & Kazooie with Mario's moveset, wishing that we got the real characters instead. It also takes a ton of time to create a moveset mod. A model swap is a lot easier to create. If anything, it just gives us a glimpse on what a character could potentially look like in Ultimate. Hopefully the real Phoenix Wright becomes playable soon, not the phony Xin Eohp, but I personally think it's cool to see mods like this regardless.
i was meaning the way he looks, but i feel mods would just emphasises the fact that it hasnt actually happened

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
He even has his 3DS outfit, that's really cool.

I'm too scared to mod any of my consoles tho so I'm just gonna look at this instead.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I haven't considered a moveset like that, and it's a neat way to try and represent more of Ace Attorney overall, and I could imagine Apollo and Athena training Nick or whatever as he sets out to Smash as I've imagined Kumatora teaching Lucas stuff or other characters like that, but yeah, I just don't think he needs those things to be fun or interesting, and other characters can be represented through colors and spirits instead. Rather than specific lawyers gimmicks, overall core Ace Attorney things they all share like investigating, pressing, and presenting would make a more fitting and "Ace Attorney" feeling moveset, like how playing Steve makes you feel you're playing Minecraft or Ryu Street Fighter and stuff. Plus Nick can bring his own gimmick with the magatama no problem! I prefer as a grab since most other ideas for a grab seems very weird and out of character. But yeah still! Neat stuff!

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Phoenix Wright and Rayman are both my most wanted characters for Smash Ultimate so I am with you guys ALL THE WAY

MattX20

Smash Hero
You guys think Phoenix's music selection will be largely remixes or do you suspect that a good chunk of the tracks would remain untouched?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I could maybe see the 3DS games tracks being untouched (or the highly unlike scenario they use the orchesta/jazz remixes), but for the stuff before those, I dunno, I'm not counting on having generally minute long tracks not getting some sort of arrangement treatment with these DLC packs.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I would be over the moon if we got the official orchestrated arrangements from the Japanese concerts, but I feel like that's never going to happen. I would be fine if the Ace Attorney songs were just directly ported from the games, as that's pretty much what I would expect regardless, but new arrangements are always appreciated.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would be over the moon if we got the official orchestrated arrangements from the Japanese concerts, but I feel like that's never going to happen. I would be fine if the Ace Attorney songs were just directly ported from the games, as that's pretty much what I would expect regardless, but new arrangements are always appreciated.
i dunno, if we can get music from pikmin ads surely a concert track or two is possible

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
giving Phoenix the mood matrix (or Apollo's bracelet for that matter) just doesn't sit well with me. I know Smash takes some liberties with what characters can do compared to their origin games (like Ness or Ike), but I feel he shouldn't borrows his fellow lawyers exclusive perks in his transition to the battlefield.
Everything but the moveset is pretty solid. That's not the way to represent Nick. He's not Polly, and he's not Athena.
I haven't considered a moveset like that, and it's a neat way to try and represent more of Ace Attorney overall, and I could imagine Apollo and Athena training Nick or whatever as he sets out to Smash as I've imagined Kumatora teaching Lucas stuff or other characters like that, but yeah, I just don't think he needs those things to be fun or interesting, and other characters can be represented through colors and spirits instead.
At first, I had the exact same thoughts as you all, it just wouldn't represent Phoenix the best and there are enough unique gimmicks that are more Phoenix-specific. On second thought, though... I actually like the idea of implementing mood matrix, bracelet and maybe logic chess - okay hear me out:

Most of us agreed that if there is a playable fighter from Ace Attorney, it would be Phoenix and only him alone. However, if you include gimmicks from Apollo, Athena and Miles, you could have those three characters as alternative costumes as well (Hero type situation), without changing the moveset or requiring an echo slot or a new character slot. Apart from mood matrix the other "gimmicks" don't have to be too complicated, things like the bracelet or the chess figures can just be projectiles with stun effects, while the magatama serves as a grab. Final Smash could be either the thought route, the judge's gavel or the pyche locks. Having all these moves would be a perfect representation of the Ace Attorney franchise as a whole with elements from all the important games + fans could play as their favourite lawyer/prosecutor!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
i dunno, if we can get music from pikmin ads surely a concert track or two is possible
That's a bit different. The Pikmin songs were made exclusively for the advertisements. All of the songs in the Japanese Ace Attorney concerts are based off songs originating from the games. No franchise in Smash has music ripped directly from a public orchestra concert performance anyway. Although, it would be interesting if we got songs that weren't in the games, like the Ace Attorney anime opening themes, but I wouldn't count on it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's a bit different. The Pikmin songs were made exclusively for the advertisements. All of the songs in the Japanese Ace Attorney concerts are based off songs originating from the games. No franchise in Smash has music ripped directly from a public orchestra concert performance anyway. Although, it would be interesting if we got songs that weren't in the games, like the Ace Attorney anime opening themes, but I wouldn't count on it.
its still music they own and therefore music they could licence to smash

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
So do you guys think about the new Capcom data breach? I know it's kinda taboo to discuss things that were discovered in such a shady way, but I still want to highlight things that could be relevant to us:

-First, the Great Ace Attorney collection for Switch and PS4. While it's unlikely that this will be localized (and even then, for those of us who live in Europe it will 100% be digital-only and won't a complete FIGS translation), it's still a sign that the series is in Capcom's mind. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the GAA collection entire raison d'etre is for the games to be localized, but it's mostly wishful thinking.

- Then there's project "GUILLOTINE", a Switch timed-exclusive that according to the leak will release this February (which I find unlikely unless it gets announced officially at the Game Awards; if it doesn't then it was probably hit by a COVID-induced delay and it will be released later).
The fact that it's a Switch exclusive is suspicious considering how Capcom has supported the console so far. There's a high chance that it's something like SHINSEKAI 2 or a smaller new IP, but the fact that MH Rise is listed as "project SNOW" opens the possibility of it being an old IP.

And even, it could a new Megaman game or Viewtiful Joe remake/collection, but with a name like that it's hard for my mind to not wonder if it's really AA7.
And if that will turn out to be the case, it's also promising that would kinda line up for FP8's supposed to release... but I don't want jinx it too much, like even if that's the case it's very uncommon for a DLC character to mean to promote something to release this close to the game that it's promoting, but I guess it won't be too long until we found out all about this.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So do you guys think about the new Capcom data breach? I know it's kinda taboo to discuss things that were discovered in such a shady way, but I still want to highlight things that could be relevant to us:

-First, the Great Ace Attorney collection for Switch and PS4. While it's unlikely that this will be localized (and even then, for those of us who live in Europe it will 100% be digital-only and won't a complete FIGS translation), it's still a sign that the series is in Capcom's mind. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the GAA collection entire raison d'etre is for the games to be localized, but it's mostly wishful thinking.

- Then there's project "GUILLOTINE", a Switch timed-exclusive that according to the leak will release this February (which I find unlikely unless it gets announced officially at the Game Awards; if it doesn't then it was probably hit by a COVID-induced delay and it will be released later).
The fact that it's a Switch exclusive is suspicious considering how Capcom has supported the console so far. There's a high chance that it's something like SHINSEKAI 2 or a smaller new IP, but the fact that MH Rise is listed as "project SNOW" opens the possibility of it being an old IP.

And even, it could a new Megaman game or Viewtiful Joe remake/collection, but with a name like that it's hard for my mind to not wonder if it's really AA7.
And if that will turn out to be the case, it's also promising that would kinda line up for FP8's supposed to release... but I don't want jinx it too much, like even if that's the case it's very uncommon for a DLC character to mean to promote something to release this close to the game that it's promoting, but I guess it won't be too long until we found out all about this.
back up, whats that about great AA coming to europe? or was that hypothetical

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
This is incredible news!! Would have been even better if they announced it the intended way and not got hacked, though. Any guesses / informationen when it will release? Probably sometime next year to celebrate the 20th anniversary I guess?

Heoj

Smash Ace
Havent been here in a very long time, Phoenix Wright is definitely my 2nd most wanted sitting comfortibly between Geno and Neku Sakuraba. Ive always wanted to play more ace attorney other than the trilogy on switch and i had given up all hope when dai gyakuten was announced since i wasnt expecting it to be localised. But its been confirmed to getting localised so thats pretty dang exciting.
Though apparently they skipped some of the other games, but if im being honest, just the fact that i get to play more ace attorney is already exciting!

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
This is incredible news!! Would have been even better if they announced it the intended way and not got hacked, though. Any guesses / informationen when it will release? Probably sometime next year to celebrate the 20th anniversary I guess?
According to the leaked documents, the GAA collection will be revealed in April with a July release date.
However, keep in mind that some of the information could be outdated, so we won't know for sure until the actual announcement.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
According to the leaked documents, the GAA collection will be revealed in April with a July release date.
However, keep in mind that some of the information could be outdated, so we won't know for sure until the actual announcement.
If the plans are still the same I'm guessing the GAA collection would probably be announced in a Nintendo Direct.

Maybe they could just announce it via Twitter but GAA being localized is kind of a big deal so I don't know.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Wow, if this is true then that's really cool. I hope it's coming on Steam too, alongside Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth and maybe the translation of the second game.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Weird that they aren't doing a 4-6 or AAI collection
essentially my thoughts given the supposed legal nightmare the DGS games supposedly brought to the table should they ever be localized.
If the plans are still the same I'm guessing the GAA collection would probably be announced in a Nintendo Direct.

Maybe they could just announce it via Twitter but GAA being localized is kind of a big deal so I don't know.
probably a partners showcase now that those are all the rage for Nintendo.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This is great news. I never thought I would see the day where Great Ace Attorney gets localized. It seemed like a pipe dream but it seems to be a reality now. If this can happen, then I hope Investigations 2 follows soon.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, this is good news.

What 'worries' me is the lack of AA4, 5 and 6. Anyone would think they would port these 3 games before going with AA7. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic. Or maybe they're just holding off the "Apollo Trilogy" announcement for when they announce AA7... lol

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
DGS being localized strikes me as a amazing news. But I wonder how faithful they will be to the Japanese / English relationships that often ended in Xenophobia. That is a subject that made me think they would never attempt to localize the games.
BTW if the Fan Translation of DGS2 comes out first I'm playing it. But still buying the Switch version to support the sales of this spin off.

Also, AAI2 please. More people need to play that masterpiece.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I'd just like to say, as there is a small chance that I might get banned shortly, that it's been a lot of fun being part of this community, and I still hope Phoenix gets into Smash.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, I can’t believe I never saw the Phoenix Wright thread and didn’t drop in to say “I’m totally on board”. More data breaches should happen to remind me!

Anyway besides my full support, just wanted to drop something for anyone who looked into the leak and was confused by something. You’ll know what it is.

In case you’re wondering why his name is Herlock Sholmes now and want the response for anyone memeing it to high Heaven when it gets announced, here’s the story.

So back in 1910, Maurice Leblanc tried to write the story “Arsene Lupin vs Sherlock Holmes”, starring his own character facing off against the great detective. However as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was still alive and the copyright holder of Sherlock’s name, Leblanc couldn’t write it. So he basically said “screw this I’m doing it anyway” and changed the character’s name to Herlock Sholmes. It’s basically become a shorthand for anyone who wants to make fun of Sherlock Holmes or just wants to use the character without getting involved with it.

It being the Conan Doyle Estate.

The Conan Doyle Estate is known for being... stupid with its copywright holding. Namely, in that the stories of Sherlock Holmes have mostly become public domain by now. All but a few. And because of that, they’re clinging to whatever scraps of money they can still milk from it before it goes fully public in 2033.

This means they like to sue people. Over VERY minor things.

One such thing they like to sue people over is the use of character traits. Ones that didn’t appear until the books they still hold copyright over.

One of these character traits? Sherlock being written “sympthetically”.

They try to claim copyright over a CHARACTER TRAIT.

And I’m not kidding. Literally this year, June 2020, they sued Netflix for the film Enola Holmes for that very reason. Because they were portraying Holmes “too sympathetically”.

So yes, if this leak is true and DGS is being localized for the West and Capcom is changing his name to Herlock Sholmes... that is why. Because it’s just too much hassle to deal with the Conan Doyle Estate, and unless they both pay off the estate AND change Sherlock’s portrayal in the game to suit their demands, it’s easier to just change it.

And now you know.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I mean I wish the other pack in the bundle was 4-6 but The Great Ace Attorney finally being localised is the best news I've heard in a long time.

I just hope the english versions are indeed on the *** cart!

Top Bottom