• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I have to agree. They're both great designs, but there's no way they'd both be considered visually distinct enough to be included in Smash.
Side by Side.jpg

And the established track record is that Smash will favour the classic design over the more recent one... On top of which, as far as I can tell, every single AA crossover appearance has featured the original trilogy designs and characters exclusively, apart from Puzzle & Dragons and We Love Golf. Hard to believe that Apollo wouldn't at least get a spirit, but it would only be his third appearance outside of the main series if so. I would have at least assumed that he had a cameo in UMvC3 or one of the Card Fighters, but nope!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I have to agree. They're both great designs, but there's no way they'd both be considered visually distinct enough to be included in Smash.
View attachment 289497

And the established track record is that Smash will favour the classic design over the more recent one... On top of which, as far as I can tell, every single AA crossover appearance has featured the original trilogy designs and characters exclusively, apart from Puzzle & Dragons and We Love Golf. Hard to believe that Apollo wouldn't at least get a spirit, but it would only be his third appearance outside of the main series if so. I would have at least assumed that he had a cameo in UMvC3 or one of the Card Fighters, but nope!
many of those cameos happened before he got his modern design more to the point theres already plenty of things that look visually very similar

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
True, true. The waistcoat does at least give him a +20 modifier in the "ready to beat the **** out of you" stakes... Which is my way of saying that Young Man Phoenix is imposing, but Old Man Phoenix looks like he was born to Smash. I'd love Capcom to show off their newer stuff for once, only time will tell.

Theenderdefender

Smash Cadet
How would a Courtroom stage work do you feel?

I imagine it basically just being a walk up off stage on a wooden platform with the desks in the background.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I hope the court and witness stands are somehow interactable, or there's something in Wright's kit that puts your opponent on the witness stand. Ganon killed that fairy, I saw him do it. Time to expose his lies!!

I just really want every character to have a witness stand animation lol

Last edited:

Theenderdefender

Smash Cadet
I hope the court and witness stands are somehow interactable, or there's something in Wright's kit that puts your opponent on the witness stand. Ganon killed that fairy, I saw him do it. Time to expose his lies!!

I just really want every character to have a witness stand animation lol
I imagine that to be his final smash

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
How would a Courtroom stage work do you feel?

I imagine it basically just being a walk up off stage on a wooden platform with the desks in the background.
I can see that. It would be cool to have different attorneys make cameos on the stands like Edgeworth, Franziska von Karma, Apollo Justice, and maybe even Winston Payne. Another neat touch might be the Judge hitting his gavel after a character gets KOed like the fireworks on Terry's stage.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
View attachment 289497

Too be honest, seeing both designs isn't impossible. Just look at Cloud's 2nd and 6th costumes.

cloud 2nd 6th costume.png

Some would call this "poor design choices", I call this, "The perfect opportunity to have both Classic and Modern Phoenix in Smash".

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I feel the classic and modern alts make an awful lot more sense than the sweater from his younger days.
And after Mementos and KoF Stadium, I'd find it hard to believe they wouldn't make the prosecutors and other attorneys not cameo in the Courtroom.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I imagine the Courtroom like New Pork City, we have a simple stage with a plaftorm layout in the front, maybe with the Scales of Justice in the center acting like platforms influenced by characters' weight. And in the background we can see a trial going on, with the defense bench in the left, the prosecutor in the right, and the judge in the center. I know in-game we see them from the perspective of the judge, but for the sake of series's familiarity I think they should be switched.

The characters in the trial can rotate or be chosen according to the music, that way we can have cameos like Apollo, Athena, Phoenix (Yes, Duck Hunt treatment) and all the prosecutors showing up in different fights. Their debate and reactions could cause effects in the stage, like.... if Klavier raises a point and Apollo gets shocked, a explosion happens in the left side of the stage, and the judge using the Hammer causes an earthquake like the POW Block.

I imagine a perspective like this.

What kind of art style would be better for Smash tho? Classic or Modern? I kinda like the mood of the modern style for a fighting game.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So how should Phoenix's reveal trailer play out? If it was in a court, it would be too obvious it would be him. So what other options for a location there is for Phoenix in a trailer?

Theenderdefender

Smash Cadet
I pictured it first showing off the villains of smash. Bowser, Ganondorf, Dedede, K Rool and Ridley. They would be fighting in the smash style as the scene keeps cutting to a black screen with a voice (phoenix) talking about how he's done his research and knows how strong the smash cast is. Eventually a female voice (Maya) also starts speaking and their identities are revealed when Phoenix walks into the light (now in a cinematic form) and points forward

Theenderdefender

Smash Cadet
By some miracle if phoenix got in AND managed to have himself an Echo Fighter who would it be? I would say Edgeworth: their long time rivals and Edgeworth has even used the Magatama

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I personally imagine the reveal would be more akin to Isabelle or Joker (as in, no Smash logo opening things up), with Phoenix waiting on the Wright & Co offices before Maya comes in saying they have a big case and he has to hurry, giving him the invitation letter as evidence before leaving, all in the style of the exploration segments of the original trilogy before moving to actual gameplay footage from Smash.
By some miracle if phoenix got in AND managed to have himself an Echo Fighter who would it be? I would say Edgeworth: their long time rivals and Edgeworth has even used the Magatama
100% Apollo, I imagine Phoenix would have some whackier attacks and poses Edgeworth would refuse to do due to his dignity or something of the sort.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I pictured it first showing off the villains of smash. Bowser, Ganondorf, Dedede, K Rool and Ridley. They would be fighting in the smash style as the scene keeps cutting to a black screen with a voice (phoenix) talking about how he's done his research and knows how strong the smash cast is. Eventually a female voice (Maya) also starts speaking and their identities are revealed when Phoenix walks into the light (now in a cinematic form) and points forward
It's funny because Maya's voice actor sings Lifelight:

It would be pretty normal hearing her voice Maya in the game.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
It doesn't seem right to have Phoenix show up on a battlefield all of a sudden, so I do want it in court, kind of like Isabelle's trailer, where the surprise is actually that it's smash-related.

I vaguely see Phoenix and Edgeworth arguing until Phoenix is like "Wait...sorry, what are we even here for again??" like he got the wrong idea, he was invited for a reason he doesn't know, then Edgeworth's like "Heh. This final piece of evidence should clear everything up for you, Mr. Wright..." and it's the Smash invite!
And Phoenix is like "WHAAAT??? ME???"
and Maya's like "Woah, congrats Nick! I guess they'll take anyone these days huh?" or somethin
and the judge can be like "Ahh, so they didn't want me or my mighty gavel huh? Well that's...fine...congratulations Mr. Wright!"
and Phoenix is like "Woah woah, I don't want to go get punched and slashed and eaten! One of you take it!"
Edgeworth "Objection! Mr. Wright, you have no right to refuse this honor, we insist you go do us proud!"
Maya "Yeah! We'll be super proud to see you get punched and slashed and eaten for us!"
Judge "Eaten?? ...Mr. Wright I ORDER that you go in my stead and do us proud!!"
Phoenix "Wha??? But??? No???"
Splash Screen zooms in "Phoenix Wright-"
Phoenix Wright "Objection!" objecting to his own splash screen, and then on to gameplay!

That's generally how I see it shaking out?

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
It doesn't seem right to have Phoenix show up on a battlefield all of a sudden, so I do want it in court, kind of like Isabelle's trailer, where the surprise is actually that it's smash-related.

I vaguely see Phoenix and Edgeworth arguing until Phoenix is like "Wait...sorry, what are we even here for again??" like he got the wrong idea, he was invited for a reason he doesn't know, then Edgeworth's like "Heh. This final piece of evidence should clear everything up for you, Mr. Wright..." and it's the Smash invite!
And Phoenix is like "WHAAAT??? ME???"
and Maya's like "Woah, congrats Nick! I guess they'll take anyone these days huh?" or somethin
and the judge can be like "Ahh, so they didn't want me or my mighty gavel huh? Well that's...fine...congratulations Mr. Wright!"
and Phoenix is like "Woah woah, I don't want to go get punched and slashed and eaten! One of you take it!"
Edgeworth "Objection! Mr. Wright, you have no right to refuse this honor, we insist you go do us proud!"
Maya "Yeah! We'll be super proud to see you get punched and slashed and eaten for us!"
Judge "Eaten?? ...Mr. Wright I ORDER that you go do us proud!!"
Phoenix "Wha??? But??? No???"
Splash Screen zooms in "Phoenix Wright-"
Phoenix Wright "Objection!" objecting to his own splash screen, and then on to gameplay!

That's generally how I see it shaking out?
I think it would be more in character if the judge had no idea what was going on.

MattX20

Smash Hero
While I'd love it to be Phoenix and Edgeworth, I don't think it's definite, just a very interesting observance. A more likely option would be an avatar character with male and female alts. Interesting stuff either way though.
We've had character specific alts that weren't just generic avatars before so don't count out the possibility.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I can't imagine Phoenix having alts of other characters. Almost would imagine him to be more likely to get an older/younger voice ala Ike but even that's super unlikely.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It doesn't help we haven't really heard how different young and older Phoenix sound, unless they somehow got the old GBA games voice for him as an alt, but that ain't happening lol.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQBhual9KY Voice theory brings up a potential way for Phoenix to get in, maybe with Apollo Justice as an alt?
Voice theory has a pretty major flaw in it. If, prior to Steve there were only 4 voice placeholders, that would have raised suspicion more than having an extra one would. So while it could mean something, it could also mean nothing, so basically as far as speculation goes: it means nothing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Voice theory has a pretty major flaw in it. If, prior to Steve there were only 4 voice placeholders, that would have raised suspicion more than having an extra one would. So while it could mean something, it could also mean nothing, so basically as far as speculation goes: it means nothing.
hang on what? youre saying that because a hypothetical scenario would have been more suspicious it means nothing?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
hang on what? youre saying that because a hypothetical scenario would have been more suspicious it means nothing?
No I'm saying that we don't know that one of the characters left will have two sets of voice clips, because it is equally likely to mean something as mean nothing.

KillerCage

Smash Master
All the Ace Attorney content we could see in Ultimate by SourceGaming.

I can't help but nitpick at this video.
Why is Nick's neutral special Peach's emotions from "Super Princess Peach"?
Why no "Lying Coldly"?

Last edited:
Top Bottom