• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Like I said in other thread, it can literally be anyone. Except maybe the post-launch spirits, Resident Evil still being out help us to feel safe about Nick's chances.

If it would be Phoenix Wright, then I would be completely contempt with FP2, and I would probably get to finishing AA2 quicker.
Strange, Farewell My Turnabout is so good that usually has everyone hooked until they complete it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Strange, Farewell My Turnabout is so good that usually has everyone hooked until they complete it.
I am just focusing on one game hard right now, but after I beat the game, I will focus on that chapter.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I am just focusing on one game hard right now, but after I beat the game, I will focus on that chapter.
Wise decision, that chapter consumed me for 2 entire days doing nothing but staring at my DS and playing. The last case of the third game was worse (3 days, THREE).
The announcement of Phoenix Wright would lead to a whole new influx of players buying the HD Trilogy. Wouldn't that be glorious, even more people to share ladder and burger memes.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Dante's also a frontrunner and let me tell you, he'd be a real letdown for us me, ngl.

Yeah. The Defense is cornered. Smash Ultimate's been really bad for me, personally. But that's where Phoenix rises from the ashes and finds a way with conclusive evidence. We need a TURNABOUT!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dante's also a frontrunner and let me tell you, he'd be a real letdown for us, ngl.

Yeah. The Defense is cornered. Smash Ultimate's been really bad for me, personally. But that's where Phoenix rises finds a way with conclusive evidence. We need a TURNABOUT!
I would love Phoenix Wright, but Dante would be quite hype for me too.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Okay let me put on the tinfoil hat for a second and start speculating.

4 popular Capcom franchises got news at TGS yet Ace Attorney didn't. Maybe Ace Attorney might have a chance since it hasn't gotten any news yet. Also the presentation is taking place October 1st, which is currently still in the time frame of the TGS Ace Attorney sale that ends on the 6th.

Alright now that I've speculated, time to go prepare for disappointment.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
We know that Fighter 7 must've been in development for a very long time, probably much longer than the previous fighters. The "Arms character announcement" was over half a year ago!! This might indicate that the next fighter will be someone who has a complicated and comprehensive moveset and this is something which I could totally see with Phoenix. Let's hope our dreams come true!!!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Okay let me put on the tinfoil hat for a second and start speculating.

4 popular Capcom franchises got news at TGS yet Ace Attorney didn't. Maybe Ace Attorney might have a chance since it hasn't gotten any news yet. Also the presentation is taking place October 1st, which is currently still in the time frame of the TGS Ace Attorney sale that ends on the 6th.

Alright now that I've speculated, time to go prepare for disappointment.
We know that Fighter 7 must've been in development for a very long time, probably much longer than the previous fighters. The "Arms character announcement" was over half a year ago!! This might indicate that the next fighter will be someone who has a complicated and comprehensive moveset and this is something which I could totally see with Phoenix. Let's hope our dreams come true!!!
Nononononono I'm not doing this again.
Not getting my hopes up.....

BUT WHAT IF HE ACTUALLY GETS REVEALED???

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet
I don't think that's necessarily true since the fighter would have been delayed by quite a lot because of the covid situation

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
yeah, I doubt the extended time between reveals has much to do with the characters complexity as much as Japan isn't used to a work from home culture as far as I've heard.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
pre Banjo I might have been more concerned on this announcement, now eh, I can respect it, but it does nothing for me, Minecraft just bores me. I guess Phoenix has 4 more chances to go.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Not crazy about Steve but it's a good pick and it's not a Capcom character. Phoenix and MH live yet :)

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet
I honestly feel better about Phoenix's chances now, Steve fills the slot of big hype reveal that is big in the west which I don't think Phoenix really could so now they can go more niche.

also this is the second Microsoft rep which proves that companies can get multiple newcomers/dlc

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I honestly feel better about Phoenix's chances now, Steve fills the slot of big hype reveal that is big in the west which I don't think Phoenix really could so now they can go more niche.

also this is the second Microsoft rep which proves that companies can get multiple newcomers/dlc
I feel this way too! I don't think I know who is coming for sure or anything but I do love that we have the biggest game in Smash which leaves plenty of room for characters like Phoenix or Travis to slide in without having to be "pass sellers".

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Steve seems to have something similar to Nick's evidence finding ability in MvC, so as cool as this is, it does make me doubt whether we still have a shot.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Steve seems to have something similar to Nick's evidence finding ability in MvC, so as cool as this is, it does make me doubt whether we still have a shot.
Interesting, I drew the exact opposite conclusion since they sometimes repurpose similar mechanics/animations (steve fishing line with isabelle, minecart and wario's bike, some of jokers animations are similar to other chars etc).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I want to get into the Ace Attorney series. Where do I begin?
Well the best place to start is definitely the first game, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. While I prefer the DS version because I like its graphics better, you can get the Ace Attorney Trilogy, with upgraded graphics, on pretty much every modern console, so that right there is probably the ideal starting point.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I have seen some Phoenix supporters in other sites becoming pesimistic because Steve collecting materials to power up and craft weapons is similar to Phoenix's moveset in UMvC3 where he gets evidence and then uses it as ammo and to enter Turnabout Mode.

The thing is.... Phoenix's moveset in Smash doesn't need to be exactly like the one in Marvel. Sakurai can come up with his own original interpretation. And Phoenix's core design in Marvel was very different from what Steve is in Smash. If collecting evidence is a move for Phoenix, I see it more as a simple move like Pac-Man's Fruit with a mix of Villager's pocket, than Steve's whole crafting mechanics.
But anyway, I hope we don't become pessimistic because hypothetically there can't be two DLC characters that power up finding things. Or that is the only thing Phoenix's moveset can be based on.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I have seen some Phoenix supporters in other sites becoming pesimistic because Steve collecting materials to power up and craft weapons is similar to Phoenix's moveset in UMvC3 where he gets evidence and then uses it as ammo and to enter Turnabout Mode.

The thing is.... Phoenix's moveset in Smash doesn't need to be exactly like the one in Marvel. Sakurai can come up with his own original interpretation. And Phoenix's core design in Marvel was very different from what Steve is in Smash. If collecting evidence is a move for Phoenix, I see it more as a simple move like Pac-Man's Fruit with a mix of Villager's pocket, than Steve's whole crafting mechanics.
But anyway, I hope we don't become pessimistic because hypothetically there can't be two DLC characters that power up finding things. Or that is the only thing Phoenix's moveset can be based on.
I agree that there's no need to follow Phoenix UMvsC3 incarnation in Smash, and even then, they could still have him switch between investigation/courtroom modes while scrapping the evidence gathering mechanic if they wanted to go with something distinct from other DLCs (although it shouldn't just be buffed stats as that'd just make him Joker again lol). If anything, I kinda hope they don't lean too heavily in how he worked in Marvel, because happy as I was to see Phoenix in there, his playstyle really didn't click well with me at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Returning to this thread after a long hiatus. Last I was here, I think Terry was coming out...
I actually like Steve a lot! Probably my favorite DLC character, even if there being no C418 is a serious bummer. It's probably because he's so unconventional, which I'm a sucker for. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not about him affecting Phoenix's chances, as his mining mechanic being sorta similar to Phoenix's evidence collection gimmick in UMvC3, but Phoenix still can be plenty unique otherwise.
We've got four chances left. Let's hope that Phoenix is one of them!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If anything, today has been a benefit! Travis' deconfirmation via Mii Costume lowers the likelihood of 3rd Party Promotional characters. This in turn hurts Monster Hunter, which is probably Phoenix's biggest competition at this point!

Top Bottom