• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here is the newest info, there will be a Capcom-panel on 25th and also something on 26th as well as on 27th:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
well i hope they all take the proper precautions

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Bare in mind that Yamazaki walked out of Capcom recently which indicates that either:
Ace Attorney 7 is not in active development.
Ace Attorney 7 was in active development but is now cancelled
Ace Attorney 7 is in development hell.
Or...
Ace Attorney 7was finished or almost finished before Yamazaki left.
Ace Attorney 7 never had Yamazaki in a crucial role.

We don't really know.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
To be fair, Ace Attorney 7 could have been finished (or at least been wrapping up development) before Yamazaki left....

and they've just been holding it back because of the pandemic.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Bare in mind that Yamazaki walked out of Capcom recently which indicates that either:
Ace Attorney 7 is not in active development.
Ace Attorney 7 was in active development but is now cancelled
Ace Attorney 7 is in development hell.
Or the best outcome: he simply isn't the director?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
To be fair, Ace Attorney 7 could have been finished (or at least been wrapping up development) before Yamazaki left....

and they've just been holding it back because of the pandemic.
Yep.
The bad thing is, we don't really have evidence (and if we do I wasn't aware) that AA7 is in development. I mean, I think it is in development, even if it is just in early development, but I don't recall leaks or reliable rumours about it.

I guess leaks for Ace Attorney games aren't very common. In the other hand Resident Evil or Street Fighter always have something. I guess it's also because AA games aren't really expensive in comparison, so less people are involved.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Some interesting bit of news. Capcom put up a Phoenix Wright social media icon on the Japanese side of their TGS page with said icons being either for the newest titles shown off at TGS 2020 or other popular Capcom franchises.

Update: It's now on the english version and is one of the first five icons to be added.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Some interesting bit of news. Capcom put up a Phoenix Wright social media icon on the Japanese side of their TGS page with said icons being either for the newest titles shown off at TGS 2020 or other popular Capcom franchises.
Ooooh... trying to hype responsibly here, but that sounds good.

Your avatar matches the post perfectly, tbh.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
"We're happy to announce that the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD will release on Stadia. We hope you're looking forward to that!"

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to hop in and express my support for Phoenix in Smash, since he's one of my most wanted (as my signature shows lol). I grew up with Ace Attorney, to the point where I've gotten multiple of my family members (including my dad) hooked on the series. Seeing him in UMvC3 was super exciting, and I think he would be a great choice for one of the Challenger Packs. Between being from a genre that has barely any representation in Smash (pretty much just the Kyle Hyde spirit from Hotel Dusk), having a ton of personality, and having a phenomenal library of music to choose from, I think he'd fit right in with the current roster.

Plus it could be argued that Ace Attorney's marketing influenced Brawl's, since Sakurai stated in a column back before Brawl that Ace Attorney's TGS 2005 trailer impressed him with its unique presentation style, where Phoenix and everyone were having a discussion about the DS port. Then at E3 2006, Brawl's promotional material did the same thing with Snake's codec call about joining Smash. So while I don't think AA was necessarily the main reason for choosing to do that (tbh I could definitely also see Kojima coming up with a trailer idea like that on his own), the TGS trailer definitely left an impression on Sakurai.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Update: It's now on the english version and is one of the first five icons to be added.
God, please finally announce Ace Attorney 7 so I can stop hearing people say Ace Attorney is dying.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
We've been pretty burned by TGS these past couple of years. Two years ago was the Ace Attorney Trilogy for current gen systems, and last year was a flat out no-show. It's been a while since Spirit of Justice released, back in 2016. Hopefully we are rewarded with a brand new installment this year. I feel like Ace Attorney has a bright future ahead.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
We've been pretty burned by TGS these past couple of years. Two years ago was the Ace Attorney Trilogy for current gen systems, and last year was a flat out no-show. It's been a while since Spirit of Justice released, back in 2016. Hopefully we are rewarded with a brand new installment this year. I feel like Ace Attorney has a bright future ahead.
Unfortunately I'm not really capable of your optimism.

Krankees

Smash Ace
You know it's kind of interesting that a Phoenix Wright icon showed before any kind of Devil May Cry icon. Don't know if it means anything, just pointing it out.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I don't quite follow. What's this stuff about an icon?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Oh. Yeah wouldn't put too much into that, considering they put Chun-Li before Ryu, who's basically Capcom's posterchild.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
i think theyre being snarky about min min again
Not this time. It's twitter icons, not really anything important, IMO. Edit: Even so, I don't really think it's anything crazy crazy pointing to anything AA-related. They said new stuff + popular franchises, so they might just view it as the latter.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Also this is Trilogy Phoenix. I'd put more stock in this if they were using his SoJ and DD design.
Nah, see, it clearly means that Phoenix is getting into Smash, and they'll be using his trilogy design as his base costume. You know how Sakurai loves to go with classic looks above all else.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nah, see, it clearly means that Phoenix is getting into Smash, and they'll be using his trilogy design as his base costume. You know how Sakurai loves to go with classic looks above all else.
tell that to, link, mario, zelda, pit, bowser, marth, wario, olimar, shiek, samus, dr mario, palutena, little mac, pokemon trainer, fox, falco, luigi, sonic etc

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Not just talking about Phoenix here but what are the chances that a Capcom character does get revealed at this event?

I don't think Nintendo have ever left another company in charge of a reveal have they?

tell that to, link, mario, zelda, pit, bowser, marth, wario, olimar, shiek, samus, dr mario, palutena, little mac, pokemon trainer, fox, falco, luigi, sonic etc
To be fair, the vast majority of third party characters have had their classic designs or at least included them as an alt option.

Sonic doesn't even have any alt that isn't a shade of blue so I think Sega are just extremely particular about the way he's presented.

(Even Pac-Man includes his classic design in his final smash. I think it's completely understandable why his classic design wouldn't have worked as his fighter appearance)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not just talking about Phoenix here but what are the chances that a Capcom character does get revealed at this event?

I don't think Nintendo have ever left another company in charge of a reveal have they?
Nope. It's strictly from Nintendo's part, for politeness' sake. The closest we ever got to that was the Game Awards 2018 showcasing :ultjoker:, and even then Nintendo had a clear presence at the event.

Also, the amiibo for :ultjoker: and :ulthero: release on the 25th in Japan (when Capcom's panel airs), and I don't believe that they ever revealed anyone on such an extremely short notice before an amiibo line-up release, or on a Friday.

Anything that's fully third-party centered generally doesn't have a Smash reveal happen, even when Nintendo themselves run the event (as seen with Nindies).

So, I can safely say that the chances for a Capcom character Smash reveal, let alone Phoenix, happening at TGS are 0%.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, the vast majority of third party characters have had their classic designs or at least included them as an alt option.

Sonic doesn't even have any alt that isn't a shade of blue so I think Sega are just extremely particular about the way he's presented.

(Even Pac-Man includes his classic design in his final smash. I think it's completely understandable why his classic design wouldn't have worked as his fighter appearance)
well with megaman the other designs are separate characters, snake thats his look from the last time he was on a nintendo console, cloud is in his one from the games, joker has only one look, hero's default is his most recent, b&k's only other design was from a game that was not well received. there isnt really a pattern with character designs

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I think it's likelier for Nintendo to just shadow drop the next character reveal on their twitter than ever letting the associated 3rd party reveal them on an event of their own, so I'd certainly say no Capcom character will be revealed at TGS.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think it's likelier for Nintendo to just shadow drop the next character reveal on their twitter than ever letting the associated 3rd party reveal them on an event of their own, so I'd certainly say no Capcom character will be revealed at TGS.
I don't think it'd be on Twitter, since Sak isn't the type to remove all suspense on the reveal day. At worst, you get a 1 or 2-day warning announcement before a Sakurai Presents airs.

Theenderdefender

Smash Cadet
Phoenix Wright Classic Mode!

Bring the Court to Order! (Note: All matches will be on the Courtroom stage) (Theme: Killers)

Battle 1: Ganondorf (Killed countless people throughout his life)
Battle 2: Mewtwo (Killed his creators)
Battle 3: Wolf (A freelance mercenary, he's probably killed at some point)
Battle 4: Snake (Its kinda his profession)
Battle 5: Ridley (He's not the 'Cunning God of Death' for nothing)
Battle 6: Dracula (Do I need to explain this?)
Bonus Stage
Final Battle: Marx (While he didn't kill anyone outright, he did THREATEN to end all life on Popstar)

Lyncario

Smash Ace
well one version
I'm pretty sure 3 Mewtwo killed their creators. The one from the first movie, the one from the Genesect movie, and the one from Red and Blue according to the notes around the mansion in Cinabar Island. Funnily enough, Pokepse Mewtwo, despite how Pokepse is way darker and kill happy than mainline, is one of the few Mewtwos that did not kill his creator.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm pretty sure 3 Mewtwo killed their creators. The one from the first movie, the one from the Genesect movie, and the one from Red and Blue according to the notes around the mansion in Cinabar Island. Funnily enough, Pokepse Mewtwo, despite how Pokepse is way darker and kill happy than mainline, is one of the few Mewtwos that did not kill his creator.
nothing was confirmed with the latter two, only implied, there’s some suggestions that they’re still alive

Theenderdefender

Smash Cadet
Nintendo Direct

Announcer: Hm? What's going on here?

Smash Logo, followed by a cinematic of the villains showing off their abilities and laughing when suddenly, a footstep is heard

"I've done my research. I know what I'm up against" a voice says "There are plenty of powerful fighters in smash" Light catches his badge. A smaller, more feminine figure runs up next to him

"We can take them!" She smiles "we've dealt with MUCH worse!" At this point, the villains all began to get ready as the figures emerge.

"I know we can...because..." Phoenix looks forward and points, Maya jumping up behind him and pointing as well "No one is above the law!

PHOENIX WRIGHT TAKES THE CASE

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
They're holding a sale for all Ace Attorney games available for 3DS for the TGS event. Might mean nothing tho so keep your hype small.

Top Bottom