• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think my personal ranking of the games would be....

1. The Trilogy (kinda hard to separate them but they'd probably all be in the top three anyway)
--a gap--
2. Investigations 2
--another gap--
3. Spirit of Justice
4. Dai Gyakuten Saiban
5 Dual Destinies
6. Professor Layton X Phoenix Wright
--another gap--
7. Apollo Justice
8. Investigations 1

I still love even the bottom ranked ones but I guess it's with some caveats unlike most of the rest. Like Apollo Justice felt like it could have done with a 5th case....and also the last case just ended strangely in an unsatisfying way. (same goes for Investigations 1, that last case ended up being a pretty dull conclusion)

I loved the crossover but I think (at least for me) the professor layton side of it dragged it down, since I'm not as big a fan of those games. Also I'm not a fan of endings
like the professor layton series has, they always seem to end up like "it wasn't magic they were just high on toxic fumes" and the crossover pretty much had an ending like that.

I wasn't sure whether to rank Dual Destinies above the crossover but I did in the end because the DLC case for that game was great. The games in the middle of the list are pretty close, I could probably swap Dai Gyakuten Saiban and Spirit of Justice depending on my mood.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If I had to rank the games, it'd probably be

1. Dai Gyakuten Saiban
2. Trials and Tribulations
3. Apollo Justice
4. Phoenix Wright
5. Justice for All
6. Ace Attorney Investigations
7. Prof Layton vs. Ace Attorney
8. Dual Destinies
9. Ace Attorney Investigations 2
10. Spirit of Justice

3-5 are all pretty close and might as well be interchangeable. It was hard to choose between AAI and the crossover but I'd say overall I give points to AAI for being more "Ace Attorney". Same with AAI2 and Spirit of Justice but the dealbreaker was that I felt that overall AAI2 has better cases than SoJ (though I think the final cases in both are awful, but if you changed that AAI2 would be much better in my book whereas SoJ would still have problems).

Fun to think that if you don't count the crossover, Ace Attorney is sitting at exactly 10 games.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
The cool thing about Ace Attorney is that everyone has different opinions on what games are the best and what the worst, it's similar to 3D-Zelda-games where people have very different tastes. There are games like Trials & Tribulations / Ocarina of Time that will be mentioned as the favourite game most often, but you still see each of the other games on the #1 spot of many personal rankings.

(I probably already posted a similar ranking somewhere, since we are doing rankings here pretty often,) my current list from memory:

1.) Spirit of Justice
2.) Dual Destinies
3.) Trials & Tribulations
4.) Investigations 2*
5.) Ace Attorney 1
6.) Layton vs Phoenix Wright
7.) Justice for All
8.) Apollo Justice
9.) Investigations 1

(*I'm currently playing AAI2 and will soon finish, it will most likely land on #4)

And since I also talked about Zelda, here my 3D games ranking (I like all of them):

1.) Breath of the Wild
2.) Twilight Princess
3.) Ocarina of Time
4.) Majora's Mask
5.) Wind Waker
6.) Skyward Sword

Well, I'm in the mood, my 3D Mario ranking:

1.) Super Mario Galaxy
2.) Super Mario Odyssey
3.) Super Mario Galaxy 2
4.) Super Mario 64
5.) Super Mario 3D World
6.) Super Mario 3D Land
7.) Super Mario Sunshine

Paper Mario ranking:

1.) Super Paper Mario
2.) Paper Mario 2
3.) Paper Mario
4.) Color Splash
5.) Sticker Star (will forever be on the last spot)

Mario Kart ranking:

1.) Double Dash
2.) 8 (Deluxe)
3.) Wii
4.) DS
5.) 7
6.) 64
7.) Super Circuit
8.) Super Mario Kart

Smash ranking:

1.) Ultimate
2.) Wii U / 3DS
3.) Brawl
4.) Melee
5.) 64

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
The cool thing about Ace Attorney is that everyone has different opinions on what games are the best and what the worst, it's similar to 3D-Zelda-games where people have very different tastes. There are games like Trials & Tribulations / Ocarina of Time that will be mentioned as the favourite game most often, but you still see each of the other games on the #1 spot of many personal rankings.

(I probably already posted a similar ranking somewhere, since we are doing rankings here pretty often,) my current list from memory:

1.) Spirit of Justice
2.) Dual Destinies
3.) Trials & Tribulations
4.) Investigations 2*
5.) Ace Attorney 1
6.) Layton vs Phoenix Wright
7.) Justice for All
8.) Apollo Justice
9.) Investigations 1

(*I'm currently playing AAI2 and will soon finish, it will most likely land on #4)

And since I also talked about Zelda, here my 3D games ranking (I like all of them):

1.) Breath of the Wild
2.) Twilight Princess
3.) Ocarina of Time
4.) Majora's Mask
5.) Wind Waker
6.) Skyward Sword

Well, I'm in the mood, my 3D Mario ranking:

1.) Super Mario Galaxy
2.) Super Mario Odyssey
3.) Super Mario Galaxy 2
4.) Super Mario 64
5.) Super Mario 3D World
6.) Super Mario 3D Land
7.) Super Mario Sunshine

Paper Mario ranking:

1.) Super Paper Mario
2.) Paper Mario 2
3.) Paper Mario
4.) Color Splash
5.) Sticker Star (will forever be on the last spot)

Mario Kart ranking:

1.) Double Dash
2.) 8 (Deluxe)
3.) Wii
4.) DS
5.) 7
6.) 64
7.) Super Circuit
8.) Super Mario Kart

Smash ranking:

1.) Ultimate
2.) Wii U / 3DS
3.) Brawl
4.) Melee
5.) 64
Oh hey ! First time i see Super a their favorite Paper Mario game, nice.
Also, i'd like to know why everyone dislikes Apollo Justice so much compared to the other AA games.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Oh hey ! First time i see Super a their favorite Paper Mario game, nice.
Also, i'd like to know why everyone dislikes Apollo Justice so much compared to the other AA games.
Yeah, I love games which have a good story and in this regard SPM was simply great + I enjoy the gamplay, music, chapters and the bosses a lot.

Regarding Apollo Justice: While the game undoubtly has one of the best 1st-cases in the series, I don't like 4-2 and 4-3 that much (the latter one has an interesting setting and funny dialogue, however I don't like the resolution and many explanations imo are not realistic... + too many identical flashbacks and the serenade-video)... and while 4-4 is not a bad case at all, I think the final cases of all other games which are above AJ in my ranking (except for the Layton-Crossover) are even better and made a bigger impression on me. Also, I don't like the defendants in the game that much (especially if they don't want to talk to you...) , which makes it hard to form an emotional connection with them. But hey, I still like AJ and had a good time with the game, I just think that the other ones are even better^^

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I haven't played every game and I'm in case 4 of DGS currently, so mine list goes like:

Trials and Tribulations > Justice For All = Apollo Justice > DGS > Spirit of Justice = Phoenix Wright >>>> Dual Destinies

I know some people may be weirded out by the OG being that low, but I think the first half of the game is forgettable. 1-4 and 5 are where it starts getting real good, and are the beginning of the signature Ace Attorney charm.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Capcom finally fixed Spirit of Justice's screen issue for newer phones which means I can finally play it!

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
So. . . .

What's His Moveset; His Classic Mode Campaign; His Alternate Colorations, His Music(aside from the OBVIOUS Remix of the Cornered theme), His Stage(How would the Courtroom WORK in Smash Bros as a stage), His Character Gimmick, Spirit Board DLC Spirits, Mii Fighter Costumes, etc?

P.S. Add me as a Witness to the Defense. . . aka Supporter for Pheonix Wright. . .

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Considering his points on Phoenix, I think Aaronitmar's view and concerns on Phoenix are pretty legitimate.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Considering his points on Phoenix, I think Aaronitmar's view and concerns on Phoenix are pretty legitimate.
I wish they didn't unnecessarily use some of the most spoiley, climactic footage they could have, pwshh, but hey, neat, public opinion on Wright definitely seems to be a confused 50/50!

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Not to mention, although I've never played Ace Attorney, and I don't know Phoenix Wright well yet, I still want him to be playable, so i'll support him.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not to mention, although I've never played Ace Attorney, and I don't know Phoenix Wright well yet, I still want him to be playable, so i'll support him.
"not to mention" you werent saying any thing before that

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Can anyone who's finished DGS answer a question for me about Case 5 and the stereoscope/3d thing? I have an eye problem (bad anisometropia) where I can't go cross eyed, and I can't see what's on the
cat photos from Gina and the Pawn Shop, or their differences.
Should I just look up the spoiler/answer or can I get through this part without doing it?

And uhhh since this is a vaguely off-topic post, go Phoenix Wright for Smash! Woo! Take that! Objection!

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Can anyone who's finished DGS answer a question for me about Case 5 and the stereoscope/3d thing? I have an eye problem (bad Amblyopia) where I can't go cross eyed, and I can't see what's on the
cat photos, or their differences.
Should I just look up the spoiler/answer or can I get through this part without doing it?

And uhhh since this is a vaguely off-topic post, go Phoenix Wright for Smash! Woo! Take that! Objection!
If you are playing on a 3DS, you can use the 3D effect instead of crossing your eyes. Otherwise, from what I remember, the game can let you skip those parts and you can just continue the story. If the game isn’t letting you progress, then I would look up the answer.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Thanks for the answer, I'm playing a patched JP mobile version. That's a relief!

just ignore me getting my own eyesight problem wrong, it's a recent diagnosis and i got mixed up

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Last night I had a super lucid dream where Phoenix got announced for Smash (alongside Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective). Though, I can't remember how he even played or looked because I was so hype I couldn't even believe it, lol

It's the first Smash dream I've had in a long time, wonder if that means anything. (It won't)

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
Well, we still have five left to go.
Honestly, my signature here is all that I've been saying every time I pop in.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Today's update is great, now every music track can be played on the standard-version FD & Battlefield. This means, if Phoenix Wright gets announced for Smash, the music can definitely be heard in competitive tournaments, no matter whether the Phoenix Wright-stage will be legal or not. :smash:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Today's update is great, now every music track can be played on the standard-version FD & Battlefield. This means, if Phoenix Wright gets announced for Smash, the music can definitely be heard in competitive tournaments, no matter whether the Phoenix Wright-stage will be legal or not. :smash:
Imagine Pursiit ~ Cornered on FD. Man, that would be awesome

So what's general consensus on final smash?
I'd probably say one like in UMVC3 where he has an opponent cornered and tries to pin the nonexistent crime on them. Would make the animations more fluid and the voice lines more powerful-sounding, though.

Edit: Also make him say "Take that!" at the end instead of "Take this!"

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
As a tournament player, I appreciate the any song feature on Final Desination and all Battlefields very much. I would love to blast Cornered 2001, The Steel Samurai, and The Great Revival in bracket.

In addition to what Hollywoodrok12 said, I feel like the nightmare sequence with the judge from case 2-1 is also a viable option for a Final Smash.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I imagine similar final smashes as the people above me... either
1.) Thought Route from DD / SoJ, one character will be cornered by Phoenix and finished by his iconic finger point (maybe even a triple finger point Apollo and Athena join as a Cameo).
or
2.) The judge's gavel - a giant hammer will appear above the opponent and fall down, accompanied by a "guilty" text bubble.
Or even both of these combined.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I imagine similar final smashes as the people above me... either
1.) Thought Route from DD / SoJ, one character will be cornered by Phoenix and finished by his iconic finger point (maybe even a triple finger point Apollo and Athena join as a Cameo).
or
2.) The judge's gavel - a giant hammer will appear above the opponent and fall down, accompanied by a "guilty" text bubble.
Or even both of these combined.
I feel like you could go the Megaman/Hero route and have a number of defense attorneys, prosecutors and partners make an appearance alongside Phoenix. (so alongside Phoenix I would say: Athena, Apollo, Maya, Edgeworth are definites.....maybe throw in Gumshoe, Franziska, Klavier, Pearl, Trucy as well.....really you could go on but it would probably be most reasonable to keep it to Megaman/Hero numbers. (so about 7/8 characters alongside Phoenix)

A finger point final smash really needs a crowd for the best impact I think. Like when Phoenix, Apollo and Athena finger pointed together in SOJ...but with even more oomph.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I feel like you could go the Megaman/Hero route and have a number of defense attorneys, prosecutors and partners make an appearance alongside Phoenix. (so alongside Phoenix I would say: Athena, Apollo, Maya, Edgeworth are definites.....maybe throw in Gumshoe, Franziska, Klavier, Pearl, Trucy as well.....really you could go on but it would probably be most reasonable to keep it to Megaman/Hero numbers. (so about 7/8 characters alongside Phoenix)
I honestly disagree. Phoenix Wright has such a defined personality that it’s hard for me to imagine him sharing a character slot with the other attorneys. If there is more than one Ace Attorney character, I would rather have a character like Edgeworth or Apollo be an echo fighter of Phoenix Wright. To me, it’s like if Simon Belmont shared a character slot with Julius, Trevor, and Richter. While they all do the same thing in combat, their personalities are pretty defined, and Richter would lose some animations that reference his Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night appearances. Sakurai knows its important to capture the essence of the characters. He goes above and beyond every time he adds a character, in order to make sure they are faithful to their source material. I trust that he can do the same with Phoenix Wright and Ace Attorney.

EDIT: I’m an idiot. I thought you were talking about having other characters as alts for Phoenix Wright, but you were actually talking about his final smash. In that case, then I definitely agree that other characters should appear in his final smash. I’ll leave what I said above alone though, because I do think that only Phoenix Wright should be playable, unless he has an echo fighter.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I honestly disagree. Phoenix Wright has such a defined personality that it’s hard for me to imagine him sharing a character slot with the other attorneys. If there is more than one Ace Attorney character, I would rather have a character like Edgeworth or Apollo be an echo fighter of Phoenix Wright. To me, it’s like if Simon Belmont shared a character slot with Julius, Trevor, and Richter. While they all do the same thing in combat, their personalities are pretty defined, and Richter would lose some animations that reference his Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night appearances. Sakurai knows its important to capture the essence of the characters. He goes above and beyond every time he adds a character, in order to make sure they are faithful to their source material. I trust that he can do the same with Phoenix Wright and Ace Attorney.
i think they're talking about the final smash

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i once had a bizarre idea for a final smash where huge psy lock chains covered the stage which shattered dealing damage and launching

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
i once had a bizarre idea for a final smash where huge psy lock chains covered the stage which shattered dealing damage and launching

Yeah that is pretty bizarre. While I don't personally think that would be the best idea for a Final Smash, I could see Psych-locks being a grab or special or even a Final Smash for Maya if we were to ever get that far.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Only a few more days until Capcom Cafe’s Ace Attorney theme is over. If they’re going to announce an Ace Attorney game during it, it will be soon.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Only a few more days until Capcom Cafe’s Ace Attorney theme is over. If they’re going to announce an Ace Attorney game during it, it will be soon.
I still think a new Ace Attorney would be for sure in a Direct. Maybe for the next Partner Showcase?

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I still think a new Ace Attorney would be for sure in a Direct. Maybe for the next Partner Showcase?
That might be it. Maybe we’re getting a partner showcase on the last day of the Ace Attorney theme, and the theme was a way to get us talking about Ace Attorney before it was announced.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
That might be it. Maybe we’re getting a partner showcase on the last day of the Ace Attorney theme, and the theme was a way to get us talking about Ace Attorney before it was announced.
This AA Cafe thing ends in a few days, you said?
Rumors from Era talk about new Directs incoming, but the next one is supposed to be an Indies Showcase, so I don't know. If we're getting a Mini Direct or a Partners Showcase, I think we will have to wait at least a few weeks for that.

It would be nice if they released a collection of 4, 5 and 6.

Top Bottom