• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Krankees

Smash Ace
I want to ask, what's everyone's favorite lawyer gameplay gimmick? While I like Psyche-locks and enjoy using Apollo's perceive, I enjoy Logic Chess from Investigations 2. I find it fun seeing Edgeworth using the witnesses own statements against them even if the conversations are sometimes weird. Plus the music is pretty catchy.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want to ask, what's everyone's favorite lawyer gameplay gimmick? While I like Psyche-locks and enjoy using Apollo's perceive, I enjoy Logic Chess from Investigations 2. I find it fun seeing Edgeworth using the witnesses own statements against them even if the conversations are sometimes weird. Plus the music is pretty catchy.
Honestly, the emotion matrix from DD and SoJ.

Makes me look at testimonies in a whole new way.

I'm not thinking logically, I'm thinking emotionally.

It's actually great.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In really enjoy the Magatama and forensic investigation for how simple they are and how easy it is to add depth to a case by adding them. There's no scenario they can't go into and they're creative ways to advance the case that aren't just ask everything or examine everything.

For the more out there ones, Perceive and the logic train are my favorites. I like Perceive's aspect of looking closely at the witnesses and figure things out by their tics and behavior. And it comes with those ultra detailed versions of the sprites, which is gorgeous. As for the logic train, it's cool to have a late-game realization that flips the trial on its head (the standout is the one in 5-2 where you realize a certain piece of evidence had a completely different meaning than you assumed).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As for the logic train, it's cool to have a late-game realization that flips the trial on its head (the standout is the one in 5-2 where you realize a certain piece of evidence had a completely different meaning than you assumed).
I do love the logic trains purely cause they make me feel like a badass.

The conclusions they reach aren't always mind blowing ( and sometimes you figure it out ahead of time), but its a fun set piece.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I consider psyche lockes the better overall gimmick from the series, it's not too annoying most of the time and despite not being that different from cross examining a witness, it gives it a different enough feeling to consider it a worthwhile addition.
Perceive gets annoyingly precise at times, I don't really find logic chess different enough to care for it, and I feel similarly with the mood matrix, but at least that features some neat 2D visuals that are rare with the new graphical style from the 3DS games so I can at least appreciate that.
I absolutely loathed the multi witness schtick from the Layton crossover or the seanses however, and I hope they never appear again.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well due to circumstances im now one step towards a young nick cosplay

now where am i gonna find a pink jumper with a huge heart on it?

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
In general I like all the gimmicks and I like how they invented different mechanics throughout the series. The seances in SoJ were surprisingly challenging. The logic thing in AAI2 is also really cool. Mood Matrix is my favourite gimmick, though – I love the music and the tension.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I absolutely loathed the multi witness schtick from the Layton crossover
Ah that was actually something I loved from that game.

Was it disorganized? Sure, but that was the point. I'm literally fighting a mob here.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I gotta say, I haven't played SoJ yet but I love what Capcom did with the objection themes, especially Athena's because they somehow made it even better.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Personally, my favorite is Perceiving. I just love the intense zoom-in on the witness as you scan over their sprite (or model) to see where their tell is, and when it appears. It's hella fun.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Personally, my favorite is Perceiving. I just love the intense zoom-in on the witness as you scan over their sprite (or model) to see where their tell is, and when it appears. It's hella fun.
I used to like Perceiving then Spark Brushel happened.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I liked that one in courtroom sections. When they brought it back in Dual destinies it feels kinda butchered.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I forgot that Perceive is in DD so they must have really screwed that up.
They only use it like three times and the tells are so obvious that it gives you the impression that the developers were ashamed about this mechanic but had to include it because Apollo's in the game.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Yeah, psyche lockes and perceive feel like very last minute additions to DD looking back, I don't even remember when you use perceive outside of
Fulbrights cross examination in the last case
I guess that's partly why they give the magatama more purpose in the DLC?

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Hello everyone, lately I was a bit inspired to make one of these Challenger Pack Wishlists for Smash. Phoenix is one of my most wanted so I started out with him. Didn't really know where to post this, but I suspect this'll be the most appropriate place for it. Anyway, This was actually more fun than I thought it would be!

Challenger_Pack_Ace_Attorney_Wish_50.png

I guess that it comes without saying that I kinda let myself go lmao. But Capcom is very generous when it comes to content and they're especially generous when it comes to music, both Mega Man and Street Fighter have over 30 tracks. Heck, Mega Man is even tied with Terry for bringing the most remixes with him which is 17. I still gave myself a limit of 23 tracks maximum, with 11 of them being remixes. (Well, actually 10, I thought it would be cool to have both "I Just Want Love" and "Please Listen!" remixed into one track, but I just didn't know how to write it down so I kinda split them ;-; )

Talking about music, I gave focus to tracks from the OG trilogy as you can see, as they are the most popular of the entire franchise. This is also what I predict will happen. They'll obviously get the most remixes because most of them are very short in nature and pixelated, but they have tons of potential for becoming amazing tracks all the while. I still tried to represent the Apollo Justice and Miles Edgeworth games with some tracks, I wish I could have given them more though.

The Mii Costumes and Spirit Board talk for themselves. The stage is the famous Courtoom no. 2, there will always be cameos in the background, some characters will appear depending on what song is playing. Godot will appear if a song from Trials and Tribulations is playing for example.

Also a fun thing to note at the end, his Classic Mode contain references to some famous cases from the OG Trilogy, can you catch them all? They're in chronological order by the way. The only outlier to this is Joker, he's the end boss because Phoenix wants to take his ass to court for stealing the Smash Invitation.

So yeah, that's really it! What do you guys think, would you be satisfied with this pack? Is there anything that feels like it's missing? Some other tracks you have in mind?

I might make more of these when I have the time!

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hello everyone, lately I was a bit inspired to make one of these Challenger Pack Wishlists for Smash. Phoenix is one of my most wanted so I started out with him. Didn't really know where to post this, but I suspect this'll be the most appropriate place for it. Anyway, This was actually more fun than I thought it would be!

I guess that it comes without saying that I kinda let myself go lmao. But Capcom is very generous when it comes to content and they're especially generous when it comes to music, both Mega Man and Street Fighter have over 30 tracks. Heck, Mega Man is even tied with Terry for bringing the most remixes with him which is 17. I still gave myself a limit of 23 tracks maximum, with 11 of them being remixes. (Well, actually 10, I thought it would be cool to have both "I Just Want Love" and "Please Listen!" remixed into one track, but I just didn't know how to write it down so I kinda split them ;-; )

Talking about music, I gave focus to tracks from the OG trilogy as you can see, as they are the most popular of the entire franchise. This is also what I predict will happen. They'll obviously get the most remixes because most of them are very short in nature and pixelated, but they have tons of potential for becoming amazing tracks all the while. I still tried to represent the Apollo Justice and Miles Edgeworth games with some tracks, I wish I could have given them more though.

The Mii Costumes and Spirit Board talk for themselves. The stage is the famous Courtoom no. 2, there will always be cameos in the background, some characters will appear depending on what song is playing. Godot will appear if a song from Trials and Tribulations is playing for example.

Also a fun thing to note at the end, his Classic Mode contain references to some famous cases from the OG Trilogy, can you catch them all? They're in chronological order by the way. The only outlier to this is Joker, he's the end boss because Phoenix wants to take his ass to court for stealing the Smash Invitation.

So yeah, that's really it! What do you guys think, would you be satisfied with this pack? Is there anything that feels like it's missing? Some other tracks you have in mind?

I might make more of these when I have the time!
It's great!
Maybe my only gripe is two legend spirits. So far it seems that only one legend spirit is given to each challenger pack.

As for the music, it's an amazing selection. Personally I think it lacks a Apollo's song. "I'm Fine" is a track I love, and could work very well for a cool rock remix, I think.

This theme could be in there, I really like it:

Keep Pressing On is a great track as well, very hype:

But overall I love your work with this. I guess that when it comes to music we can always be fussy haha.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
It's great!
Maybe my only gripe is two legend spirits. So far it seems that only one legend spirit is given to each challenger pack.

As for the music, it's an amazing selection. Personally I think it lacks a Apollo's song. "I'm Fine" is a track I love, and could work very well for a cool rock remix, I think.

This theme could be in there, I really like it:

Keep Pressing On is a great track as well, very hype:

But overall I love your work with this. I guess that when it comes to music we can always be fussy haha.
Oh yeah, true, completely missed that fact! Thanks for pointing it out, I completely forgot! Guess Godot will have to be an Ace-ranked Spirit then. Can't shaft my guy Edgeworth like that, sorry Godot.

Also, yeah, I considered a lot of songs. But when it came to a theme representing Apollo it was a close match between either "A New Chapter of Trials! 2016" or "Pursuit ~ Overtaken". I just went with the latter because I felt it was more recognizable. Though I would absolutely love for both to get in! Some other songs I considered were "Simon Blackquill ~ Twisted Samurai" and a remix of "Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth" (that's my favorite cornered track as well). I completely agree that a rock remix of "I'm Fine" would be totally amazing, there's a lot of untapped potential in that song for a Smash track! It's definitely a song that captures Apollo well.

Music is one of the more important elements to Smash for me (heck I think that counts for most people as well), they really solidify that "crossover" aspect. So it's a really normal thing to get fussy over, and I really like discussions about it! Thanks for your kind compliments by the way!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It will be great if we see Phoenix Wright make it in this month or sometime in the Summer. I really hope he is the potential Capcom rep if we get one.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Say what would you guys recommend? Should I play Spirit of Justice first, or should I shake things up a bit and start DGS?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Say what would you guys recommend? Should I play Spirit of Justice first, or should I shake things up a bit and start DGS?
While I love both games, DGS is pretty damn good, I'd say go with that.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm gonna say SoJ.

It continues the story you already know and gives a sense of finality.

Then you can move on to DGS.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Alright, what do you think is the best final case?
IMO The Grand Turnabout.
I never beat AAI2 because the fan patch glitched out on me at the end of the second case and no matter what I tried, even using a save to just skip the second case entirely, it never fixed itself.

Anyway, my vote is Farewell, My Turnabout.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Love all the final cases from AA1-3 and I2, great stuff all around. I'm not a fan of the final cases from AJ, DD or I1, and the less I say about SoJ or the PL crossover, the better.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
IMO The Grand Turnabout.
For me it would be Farewell, My Turnabout or Bridge to the Turnabout. I know, how unique, but they're hard to top.

I don't think I'll ever understand people's infatuation with The Grand Turnabout, I found it to be the worst case in either AAI game.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
IMO The Grand Turnabout.
For me it's Rise from the Ashes, followed by Bridge to the Turnabout.
Personally I think all the final cases in AA1-6 are great, I've enjoyed all of them a lot, even if I had some gripes with some of them.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
IMO The Grand Turnabout.
Bridge to the Turnabout easily. It was the perfect way to end Godot's Character Development. Holy, that case made Godot my favourite character in the series. The way the case is connected to every character made me appreciate this case and in extent Trials and Tribulations so much more. I seriously couldn't listen to The Fragrance of Dark Coffee the same way again after finishing it. Instead of being relaxing the song gained a grimm and sad tone to it, despite being the same as before. The buildup throughout the entire trilogy up until that case was also very well executed.

As for my second favourite, I think I'll have to go with Turnabout Goodbyes, I have a soft spot for Manfred Von Karma, he genuinely felt like a threatening force.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Bridge to the Turnabout easily. It was the perfect way to end Godot's Character Development. Holy, that case made Godot my favourite character in the series. The way the case is connected to every character made me appreciate this case and in extent Trials and Tribulations so much more. I seriously couldn't listen to The Fragrance of Dark Coffee the same way again after finishing it. Instead of being relaxing the song gained a grimm and sad tone to it, despite being the same as before. The buildup throughout the entire trilogy up until that case was also very well executed.

As for my second favourite, I think I'll have to go with Turnabout Goodbyes, I have a soft spot for Manfred Von Karma, he genuinely felt like a threatening force.
This is my pick too. Might be my favorite case overall. Still only played 1-3 though

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
IMO The Grand Turnabout.
Objectively, I think the best final case in the series is Bridge to the Turnabout. But if I had to pick my personal favorite, I would pick Turnabout Goodbyes. By the time Turnabout Goodbyes happens in the Ace Attorney series, Phoenix Wright has only accepted and won three cases, which is extraordinary for a rookie but still a significantly shorter career than most successful people. Enter Manfred von Karma, who not only has won every single case in his career, but has done so for 40 YEARS. Most people would be lucky to sustain the same job for that long. For one to not flub out for that entire time, except for one small penalty, showcases true mastery of von Karma's craft. At this point, when Phoenix Wright learns that he has to go up against Manfred von Karma for his fourth trial, he still takes up the case despite how seemingly impossible it looks to win.

With Manfred von Karma tampering with Yanni Yogi's testimony, Yanni makes it seem like there is nothing more to the murder, and the case almost ends with a verdict. With Larry Butz storming in, being one of the only people to have never consulted with von Karma before a trial started, it threw a wrench in his plans. From there, the case takes many twists and turns. The most infamous is Polly the Parrot taking the stand. Other noteworthy parts include von Karma tazing Phoenix and Maya to get the evidence he wants, the revelation of the case's connection to the DL-6 incident, and the metal detector being shoved onto von Karma's shoulder. The whole case seems like a desperate struggle, but thanks to Phoenix's perseverance and a bit of luck, he was not only able to find out that Yanni Yogi murdered Robert Hammond, but also discovered that Manfred von Karma killed Gregory Edgeworth in the process.

Turnabout Goodbyes is my favorite case for many reasons, but one of the reasons heavily relates to why I go to Smash tournaments. The whole case is equivalent to Phoenix Wright flying in to EVO for Smash Ultimate singles, but is bottom seed in his pool and has to fight top seed, Manfred von Karma, in winners round one. Unbelievably, Phoenix was somehow able to upset Manfred von Karma despite having little experience playing the game, compared to Manfred playing Smash competitively since N64 released. The thrill of getting an upset that large feels exhilarating no matter what, and some people may never let that go. If Phoenix Wright ever joins Smash Ultimate, I hope he's a lower tier to represent the struggle of defending your clients when no one else believes in you. Because, in my opinion, Turnabout Goodbyes teaches players that no matter how masterful you think you are, there's always someone that can upset you at a moments notice. That is what a turnabout is truly about; the miracle can happen.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Objectively, I think the best final case in the series is Bridge to the Turnabout. But if I had to pick my personal favorite, I would pick Turnabout Goodbyes. By the time Turnabout Goodbyes happens in the Ace Attorney series, Phoenix Wright has only accepted and won three cases, which is extraordinary for a rookie but still a significantly shorter career than most successful people. Enter Manfred von Karma, who not only has won every single case in his career, but has done so for 40 YEARS. Most people would be lucky to sustain the same job for that long. For one to not flub out for that entire time, except for one small penalty, showcases true mastery of von Karma's craft. At this point, when Phoenix Wright learns that he has to go up against Manfred von Karma for his fourth trial, he still takes up the case despite how seemingly impossible it looks to win.

With Manfred von Karma tampering with Yanni Yogi's testimony, Yanni makes it seem like there is nothing more to the murder, and the case almost ends with a verdict. With Larry Butz storming in, being one of the only people to have never consulted with von Karma before a trial started, it threw a wrench in his plans. From there, the case takes many twists and turns. The most infamous is Polly the Parrot taking the stand. Other noteworthy parts include von Karma tazing Phoenix and Maya to get the evidence he wants, the revelation of the case's connection to the DL-6 incident, and the metal detector being shoved onto von Karma's shoulder. The whole case seems like a desperate struggle, but thanks to Phoenix's perseverance and a bit of luck, he was not only able to find out that Yanni Yogi murdered Robert Hammond, but also discovered that Manfred von Karma killed Gregory Edgeworth in the process.

Turnabout Goodbyes is my favorite case for many reasons, but one of the reasons heavily relates to why I go to Smash tournaments. The whole case is equivalent to Phoenix Wright flying in to EVO for Smash Ultimate singles, but is bottom seed in his pool and has to fight top seed, Manfred von Karma, in winners round one. Unbelievably, Phoenix was somehow able to upset Manfred von Karma despite having little experience playing the game, compared to Manfred playing Smash competitively since N64 released. The thrill of getting an upset that large feels exhilarating no matter what, and some people may never let that go. If Phoenix Wright ever joins Smash Ultimate, I hope he's a lower tier to represent the struggle of defending your clients when no one else believes in you. Because, in my opinion, Turnabout Goodbyes teaches players that no matter how masterful you think you are, there's always someone that can upset you at a moments notice. That is what a turnabout is truly about; the miracle can happen.
Damn, dude. That's some powerful stuff right there.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace

...How do I like a post more than once.
Though, seriously you've put it so damn well into words. Actual unit right here.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I've just started my university holidays, so I've been trying to get the English translation working for DGS. After some trial and error I finally got it working! Excited to play it for the first time. I've heard good things about it.

ryu.png

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I've just started my university holidays, so I've been trying to get the English translation working for DGS. After some trial and error I finally got it working! Excited to play it for the first time. I've heard good things about it.

View attachment 273795
I really enjoyed it. I'm eagerly waiting for the second game to be fully translated. I'm not sure but I think they've translated some chapters of the second game already.

It was pretty awkward to get playing it though. I had to use an android emulator (bluestacks) and then buy the game through the apple store and THEN apply the patch. So I think I'd rather just wait until they're fully finished the second one. It's on mobile as well right?

Top Bottom