• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So what does everyone think of Phoenix's current chances. I'm still gonna support him until the end but I honestly don't have a clue as to how likely he is anymore.
i feel theyre about the same as always which i say is 50/50

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So what does everyone think of Phoenix's current chances. I'm still gonna support him until the end but I honestly don't have a clue as to how likely he is anymore.
Well, I guess that now the perception for third party characters isn't looking as good as before because of all the ARMS situation.
I still think he has a decent shot. In the end I'd be fine if he appears in Smash in some form, that's better than nothing.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Nick still has a shot. Still will be rooting for him.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It's too early to tell anything, that Arms started the pack doesn't mean we'll just get 1st parties, let alone promotions to playable status. I still think Phoenix and Dantes chances so one or the other becomes playable are pretty high, just not guaranteed.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I've been on this train for years, I ain't givin' up on him now.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's too early to tell anything, that Arms started the pack doesn't mean we'll just get 1st parties, let alone promotions to playable status. I still think Phoenix and Dantes chances so one or the other becomes playable are pretty high, just not guaranteed.
Fighter pass #1 had a very solid trend happening with third parties.....and then we got Byleth.

I don't think relying on trends is all that safe. I think it could go in any direction. Even if we get five 1st party characters in a row that still wouldn't stop the last one being a third party character.

I don't think relying on fan rules is all that safe either, but that's another argument entirely.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Too many unknowns at this point. We can only theorize as to whether ATs or Spirits or Mii Costumes are back in play, and if the ARMS character means we'll get mostly first party characters.

Good thing is, we will know who the ARMS character is by June, and we should also know who FP7 is by then. If it's, say, Waluigi, then my expectations for third party characters will plummet. If it's someone like Travis, then they'll stay where they are.

Another thing to take into account is that Monster Hunter is potentially back in play.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Too many unknowns at this point. We can only theorize as to whether ATs or Spirits or Mii Costumes are back in play, and if the ARMS character means we'll get mostly first party characters.

Good thing is, we will know who the ARMS character is by June, and we should also know who FP7 is by then. If it's, say, Waluigi, then my expectations for third party characters will plummet. If it's someone like Travis, then they'll stay where they are.

Another thing to take into account is that Monster Hunter is potentially back in play.
Didn't thought about Monster Hunter. You're technically right about that.

About FP7... we're expecting him to be announced at june, if we get the usual Direct for E3 season. If we assume FP7 is a popular name and/or a popular request because of that, when it comes to first parties I only see Waluigi being the E3 reveal. Maybe it seems like a random theory but I'm expecting FP7 to be a third party character.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Yeah, I feel MH problem wasn't so much Rathalos as an AT as much as the devs seemingly indifference towards the prospect of promoting the hunters much, if that changed over time it's currently unknown.
Fighter pass #1 had a very solid trend happening with third parties.....and then we got Byleth.

I don't think relying on trends is all that safe. I think it could go in any direction. Even if we get five 1st party characters in a row that still wouldn't stop the last one being a third party character.

I don't think relying on fan rules is all that safe either, but that's another argument entirely.
Yeah, the first fighters pass should got the most unexpected yet most obvious sort of finale in a way, that's why I'm not guessing much on the 2nd pass right now. I'm not jumping the gun on AT or any other character that already fills a role being back in the guessing game yet (although I'm also ready for that being the case and my interest in the 2nd pass plumetting given how tougher competition will get among my wished characters) as, for all we know, the Arms character might be the mascot for an Arms 2 and debut in Smash as a promotional sort of deal (not a new prospect to the franchise after all), but I'll say I still feel like characters added through events or DLC like RE, SamSho or Cuphead are out for good (especially given the treatment the indies mii costumes got).

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I finally finished Dai Gyakuten Saiban yesterday. I took my time with it but it is probably the shortest Ace Attorney game if you count Rise from the Ashes as part of the first one.

I liked it a lot, it's good to return to the basics after rising the stakes so much in later entries. Also has many good characters (Susato, Sherlock, Iris, Van Zieks...) that I learned to love. Buuuuuuut I have some gripes with the pacing overall (Sometimes dialogues or trials dragged on forever, thankfully the last trial's pacing was impecable) and about the cases.

Case 1: It was a typical but fun tutorial case with a nice twist because Ryuu is defending himself without knowing anything about being an attorney. Multiple witnesses at the same time is a thing PLvsAA from I what I've heard, well, it's not that different from the normal cross-examinations outside of the reactions witnesses have to other testimony. But it should have ended when the Curaré got proven. After that it just dragged on and on..... that it felt like artificial length. Who let's a suspect touch the evidence anyway? Oh boy.... the AA world..... also, Asougi is awesome and basically the Mia of this game... which means he's going to die in the next case isn't he?

Case 2: Yep, he died. I guess this was Takumi's shot at an Investigation game style case, too bad it had basically only two screens to explore and the crime is a bit too silly, even by AA standards, is this how Asougi died? How pitful. Sherlock and his deductions are the best part tho. I love the animations and how the deduction sequences use the 3D enviroments to its benefit. But the lack of trials and how budget-saving everything felt made this case feel like a undercooked concept more than a true case. I was honestly expecting 6 cases on the game after playing this one.

Case 3: I had a Farewell my Turnabout (2-4) vibes when I saw Megundal. Also, this is the first time we see evidence being manipulated in middle of a trial. The Jury System actually is being implemented here. And it is very fun. Even tho most the time getting a Guilty vote and doing the Closing Argument is more of a good thing than bad for Ryuu, since is in those where he gets most of the info to counterattack.
There are some things one may or may not notice when the omnibus got touched up. Van Zieks is an amazing prosecutor and this case alone made me love him and his LEGjections. Later cases just reaffirmed that love.
That final sequence tho.... I knew Megundal was the killer by then but I didn't expect that to happen to him, oh boy that was dark. And I also was sad that the actual mistery wasn't resolved.... until Case 5 happened. Amazing case overall.

Case 4: Now we are just doing a normal AA case, Souseki was funny at first but after a few hours he just became annoying, he dragged on the pacing of this case to a halt with all his Jojo posing and complaning of just everything.
This case just shows how easy modern attorneys have it with all their advanced forensics to identify everything, because this whole case would have been resolved if just identifying fingerprints were a thing. The whole trial felt longer than it needed to be and many things got discovered by mere coincidence (Why are they selecting jurors that coincidentally always give Ryuu convenient information?), but oh boy, it was just so satisfying to prove how everything actually happened with so few resources (Outside of the Jury anyway). It was a simple case, but it was still fun to play.

Case 5: This case... doesn't feel like a final case, it feels more like a Case 2 of a Takumi game or a Case 3 of a Yamazaki game. Outside of Susato leaving (Which was sad since I love her, best assistant ever in the series), it didn't feel like this game reached a proper conclusion of any kind of theme.
Another show of how a single blood examining would have solved this in the modern world.
I have to give it props to Ryunosuke Naruhodo, this guy has balls and doesn't care or isn't going to stop against anything to fight for his client. Which has to be my favorite moment of the game.
The goverment's info leaking was a kind of large but not really that large scale problem? I mean, it didn't feel forced or ridiculous like 6-5. Because all the dots of this case connected perfectly with the third case, it was connected to the Gina's innocence and what we knew so far.
Van Zieks also shined in this case, Robert Crogley has to be the most annoying liar in the series since Quercus Alba. It felt so good to take him down. Even tho, that breakdown animation was creepy as heck.
My precious girl Susato showing her 90000 IQ and why she's the best assistant ever, so sad that she had to leave at the end T_T

So I would put it at the same level of the first AA. It was fun and it introduced new neat mechanics, but the plot feeling incomplete, inconsistent quality in the cases and the pacing dragged it down from being as great as the top AAs. I think I put it in my ranking like this.

AAI2>= T&T > DD > DGS > PWAA > SoJ > AAI > JFA > AJ

I have read from many fans that DGS2 is T&T and AAI2 quality tier. Well, time to suffer wait patiently for 1 or 2 years until that translation is done.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Hello everyone.

I have just finished Ace Attorney 1 from the Trilogy, but it only took Case 1 for me to realize that he would be an amazing pick for Smash. Please add me to the support list!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hello everyone.

I have just finished Ace Attorney 1 from the Trilogy, but it only took Case 1 for me to realize that he would be an amazing pick for Smash. Please add me to the support list!
Glad to hear about people enjoying the series.
Will you play Justice for All soon?

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I finally finished Dai Gyakuten Saiban yesterday. I took my time with it but it is probably the shortest Ace Attorney game if you count Rise from the Ashes as part of the first one.

I liked it a lot, it's good to return to the basics after rising the stakes so much in later entries. Also has many good characters (Susato, Sherlock, Iris, Van Zieks...) that I learned to love. Buuuuuuut I have some gripes with the pacing overall (Sometimes dialogues or trials dragged on forever, thankfully the last trial's pacing was impecable) and about the cases.

So I would put it at the same level of the first AA. It was fun and it introduced new neat mechanics, but the plot feeling incomplete, inconsistent quality in the cases and the pacing dragged it down from being as great as the top AAs. I think I put it in my ranking like this.

AAI2>= T&T > DD > DGS > PWAA > SoJ > AAI > JFA > AJ

I have read from many fans that DGS2 is T&T and AAI2 quality tier. Well, time to suffer wait patiently for 1 or 2 years until that translation is done.
I totally agree with what you say about the final case but keep in mind
DGS2 is a direct continuation to the plot of DGS, they could've easily been the same game but I think Takumi wanted to make a duology to flesh out the universe a bit more, otherwise the games might've felt empty, rushed and underdeveloped.
We gotta be patient until the translation is complete.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Did anyone here ever read the Ace Attorney manga (Kodansha Comics version)? I really enjoyed it and the cases it had we're really interesting and original enough to feature in an Ace Attorney game.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Did anyone here ever read the Ace Attorney manga (Kodansha Comics version)? I really enjoyed it and the cases it had we're really interesting and original enough to feature in an Ace Attorney game.
Remind me how many volumes are there because I have five of them.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So the results of my final poll are in and Crash Bandicoot is the winner.....
Actually the true winner is Phoenix Wright :smash:. I’m surprised Mr. Wright managed to dominate so much in these polls, you guys just really like Nick, huh?
Phoenix Wright won the newcomer thread's tournament.

True facts.
What do you mean? It is now from this point on an objectively true fact that Phoenix Wright is the most desired Smash character of all time. :p

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've read a manga, it was a case that had something to do with Larry, some wind chimes, and a baseball game. Is that one of those? I remember thinking it was great, so I don't know why I didn't seek out more.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think the biggest problem for the Ace Attorney series inclusion in Smash is deciding what music tracks we would get. There are so many good tracks that it's almost an SNK situation. Spirit battles would be a lot easier to choose from

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I think the biggest problem for the Ace Attorney series inclusion in Smash is deciding what music tracks we would get. There are so many good tracks that it's almost an SNK situation. Spirit battles would be a lot easier to choose from
I would say the team would choose mostly Objection and Pursuit themes because those are more upbeat and fast-paced (If you asked gamers not aware of Ace Attorney, they would think they are from an epic RPG battle xD).
Maybe some fast-paced remix of a calm theme like Godot's or some investigation medley. But I think everyone agrees that the Objection/Pursuit bangers need to be in (PLEASE PLEASE don't exclude Wanting to Find the Truth, I know it was Japan exclusive, but so are multiple Japan-only games themes. It's too good to not be in Smash).

It kind of reminds me of this.

Justice Arcana's Confidant LEVELED UP

You know got the ability to shout and hurt people with words.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well with snk it was more a case of that was the one time they thought they could get away with asking for that many

Krankees

Smash Ace
This is Capcom we're talking about. They'll probably be a bit more lenient than most of the other companies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
well with snk it was more a case of that was the one time they thought they could get away with asking for that many
The SNK situation wasn't even Sakurai asking for all those tracks, that's the real kicker. He just gathered up a bunch of songs from SNK games that he thought would be good, and gave the list to SNK to say "hey, of these options, which ones are you willing to allow us to put in Smash?"

To which SNK replied "all of them please".

I can only dream of Capcom doing the same for Ace Attorney.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The SNK situation wasn't even Sakurai asking for all those tracks, that's the real kicker. He just gathered up a bunch of songs from SNK games that he thought would be good, and gave the list to SNK to say "hey, of these options, which ones are you willing to allow us to put in Smash?"

To which SNK replied "all of them please".

I can only dream of Capcom doing the same for Ace Attorney.
ok so i miss remembered the video

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Given both Mega Man and Street Fighter got around 30 tracks (with a great amount of remixes for Mega Man) in Smash ultimate it's safe to assume we'd have about the same amount...
I actually put up my personal list of ost I'd like to see in Smash on my Google drive link on my profile/signature which you can check out :)
Ended up with 48 tracks!! Although I could get rid of some of them like the cross-examination tracks...

Last edited:
Top Bottom