• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Source on that?
I remember Sakurai praising about AA presentation, but nothing besides that.
It was a theory that I remember finding in this video. It seems possible because the time windows match up.
It’s a bit of a reach, but you do have Sakurai praising how AA used trailers utilizing the characters and their personalities in clever ways, then proceeded to have his series be known for its cinematic character reveals utilizing characters’ personalities.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It’s a bit of a reach, but you do have Sakurai praising how AA used trailers utilizing the characters and their personalities in clever ways, then proceeded to have his series be known for its cinematic character reveals utilizing characters’ personalities.
My personal dream trailer for Nick is to do one of those courtroom trailers and having everyone in their 2D sprites and when it cuts to Phoenix he has his smash model, and they fake

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
My personal dream trailer for Nick is to do one of those courtroom trailers and having everyone in their 2D sprites and when it cuts to Phoenix he has his smash model, and they fake
My personal dream is that they end the direct with an HD version of Mario’s trial from Sunshine, and everyone just kinda assumes it’s Sunshine HD, until Phoenix bursts in with an OBJECTION right before when guilty verdict would normally be given.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I remember looking at the Ace Attorney Pachinko videos, and they have pretty good 3d models of all the characters. Phoenix's CGI part of his trailer or something could be something like this model. I skipped the video to a certain part to show his model.

WARNING: There's some flashy colors so it might disorient some people but it's bear the end of the video. Also it's very anime or at least more than usual.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I remember looking at the Ace Attorney Pachinko videos, and they have pretty good 3d models of all the characters. Phoenix's CGI part of his trailer or something could be something like this model. I skipped the video to a certain part to show his model.

WARNING: There's some flashy colors so it might disorient some people and it's very anime.
Can we get this music in smash? I like what I can hear of this AA3 pursuit theme lol

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
So the Capcom Publisher sale started, and this is their banner on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/capcom

View attachment 261917

I think it’s worth noting how the three front and center series are Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Ace Attorney. They deliberately chose to not only represent Ace Attorney alongside their heavy hitters with more recent games, but put Phoenix and Miles closer to the middle than all of the ones that aren’t in Smash.

Look at how huge some of the other series are:
- DMC5 was a smash hit financially and critically, and the entire series is ready for sale on Steam. The ENTIRE SERIES (5 games and a reboot) are available on Steam to buy, and DMC3 is even getting special new additions for Switch.
- Monster Hunter World was MASSIVE, and it just got its Iceborne expansion a little while back.
- Resident Evil is back in the spotlight. The RE2 Remake was a huge success and a consistent Game of the Year choice, and now an RE3 Remake is coming soon. Not to mention you have a bunch of the original games available on Steam for this sale.

Yet Phoenix and Miles are closer to the middle, despite the last new Ace Attorney thing being the HD Trilogy re-release from nearly a year, which is the ONLY ACE ATTORNEY GAME ON STEAM, and the series having no confirmed future, with the last actual game having been released four years.

I might be looking too far into it, but at least it lets us know that Capcom didn’t forget about us yet.

Or maybe I’m not insane and they’re going to announce Phoenix as Fighter 6 on Thursday.
Maybe it's a matter that I'm on the mobile app, but I get no Phoenix from the front store banner and when I enter the Capcom segment the character layout is fairly different, with Phoenix and RE on the center and MegaMan all the way to the right. It doesn't mean anything for Smash and it's still nice to see Phoenix featured, but yeah, not sure how consistent this is.

Attachments

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So the Capcom Publisher sale started, and this is their banner on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/capcom

View attachment 261917

I think it’s worth noting how the three front and center series are Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Ace Attorney. They deliberately chose to not only represent Ace Attorney alongside their heavy hitters with more recent games, but put Phoenix and Miles closer to the middle than all of the ones that aren’t in Smash.

Look at how huge some of the other series are:
- DMC5 was a smash hit financially and critically, and the entire series is ready for sale on Steam. The ENTIRE SERIES (5 games and a reboot) are available on Steam to buy, and DMC3 is even getting special new additions for Switch.
- Monster Hunter World was MASSIVE, and it just got its Iceborne expansion a little while back.
- Resident Evil is back in the spotlight. The RE2 Remake was a huge success and a consistent Game of the Year choice, and now an RE3 Remake is coming soon. Not to mention you have a bunch of the original games available on Steam for this sale.

Yet Phoenix and Miles are closer to the middle, despite the last new Ace Attorney thing being the HD Trilogy re-release from nearly a year, which is the ONLY ACE ATTORNEY GAME ON STEAM, and the series having no confirmed future, with the last actual game having been released four years.

I might be looking too far into it, but at least it lets us know that Capcom didn’t forget about us yet.

Or maybe I’m not insane and they’re going to announce Phoenix as Fighter 6 on Thursday.
Ladies and Gentlemen. We gottem.

But really this is what it looks like for me. They might have different images depending on where you view it. It's pretty telling however this is the main page on the PC version of steam.

Steam_2020-02-11_21-42-57.png

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
My personal dream is that they end the direct with an HD version of Mario’s trial from Sunshine, and everyone just kinda assumes it’s Sunshine HD, until Phoenix bursts in with an OBJECTION right before when guilty verdict would normally be given.
This is good but then you'd have the Rosalina Smash Trailer Effect, where some people watching were thinking they were gonna get an announcement of a Super Mario Sunshine re-release, which some fans still want to happen someday, only for it to turn out to be a Smash trailer for someone they may or may not care about.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
This is good but then you'd have the Rosalina Smash Trailer Effect, where some people watching were thinking they were gonna get an announcement of a Super Mario Sunshine re-release, which some fans still want to happen someday, only for it to turn out to be a Smash trailer for someone they may or may not care about.
They could handle it similar to Isabelle's reveal trailer, where it turns out to be a Smash trailer, but is then followed by an actual reveal for Sunshine HD.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
They could handle it similar to Isabelle's reveal trailer, where it turns out to be a Smash trailer, but is then followed by an actual reveal for Sunshine HD.
Man would I love that.

My guess as to why Nintendo has never re-released Sunshine is that operating F.L.U.D.D. requires analog shoulder buttons (press it partly down to spray water while moving around, press it all the way down to have Mario spray water while standing still and aiming), which every Nintendo controller past the GameCube has removed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
wait people thought sunshine when they saw the rosalina trailer?

zumaddy

Smash Ace
That Capcom banner is really nice, thanks for sharing.

One day they'll care about Dragon's Dogma again... one day :')

SNEKeater

Smash Master
That Capcom banner is really nice, thanks for sharing.

One day they'll care about Dragon's Dogma again... one day :')
I think a new Dragon's Dogma is possible. I think Itsuno said Capcom offered him to make DMC5 or Dragon's Dogma 2 and he chose the first one but that he would like to do a new Dragon's Dogma game in the future. Maybe he's doing it right now, he's already working on a new project.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I don't think the listing of these banners means anything, but Capcom is doing this sale on Switch as well. Ace Attorney Trilogy is listed 2nd after Dragon's Dogma when you bring up the news blurb about it under the news tab.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Finally going to play AA5 and AA6. I was originally turned off by each game being $30, for a collective $60, but they’re on sale for $9 and $12 respectively, so I’m going to snag both.

8808021B-C773-40C9-86E2-9E754432079F.jpeg

F44A3013-0702-435E-84F9-A5620D9C1CD1.jpeg

Then I will definitely not pirate the Dai Gyakuten Saiban games.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's a very nice deal for that price.

I'd like to get the original trilogy HD for Switch, but I'd like to have it physical :(

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, some people thought Kirby was gonna get added as DLC for Mario Kart 8, or that a Kirby Air Ride sequel was on the way.
those were my thoughts when i first saw it, though i though kirby in mario kart 8 as opposed to him as dlc, it was before mk8 was out

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Finally going to play AA5 and AA6. I was originally turned off by each game being $30, for a collective $60, but they’re on sale for $9 and $12 respectively, so I’m going to snag both.

View attachment 262045
View attachment 262046

Then I will definitely not pirate the Dai Gyakuten Saiban games.
That's the actual value of spirit of justice as a game if we're being completely honest here.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe it's just me but I'm really enjoying Spirit of Justice... Just finished case 4. Maybe after beating the game I will look back at it and see more flaws than now, but idk.
Overall it's giving me a better feel than Justice for All or Apollo Justice, and I think I'm liking it as much as Dual Destinies or the first AA game.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Whoa, I'm starting up SOJ again too. I've already finished it completely once and replayed 6-2 twice more (it's my fave of the bunch). I'm playing with better textures though, it's working out real nice

alb.png

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Whoa, I'm starting up SOJ again too. I've already finished it completely once and replayed 6-2 twice more (it's my fave of the bunch). I'm playing with better textures though, it's working out real nice

View attachment 262118
he does look the same with out.... hang on would that count as a spoiler?

Didn't expect to see a post like this lol
im not sure what im looking at

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Hello Mr. Sakurai. I am here to pick up my invitation to join the battle in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch system.

56jnh15lk3s31.png

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Decided to whip up an Athena palette for Phoenix to see how it'd look in Photoshop. A little strange, but it might look good on a Smash model:
wright.png

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Decided to whip up an Athena palette for Phoenix to see how it'd look in Photoshop. A little strange, but it might look good on a Smash model:
Ehhh something is off there, it may be the eyes or the fact that I know how Athena looks so this color palette on a man looks just weird. Because I can totally see Maya looking good with this color palette.

Speaking of color alts. I may be unoriginal or lack of imagination. But I wouldn't mind if they just take the first six Marvel Phoenix's alts and put them straight into Smash.

The first six colors are really really good, I don't want to fix what isn't broken. I would take them all. Specially the second one, I mained Edgey Nick in Marvel so if it was missing in Smash it would be the biggest crime of an alt missing EVER. A case can be made for removing Sissel's alt but I love Ghost Trick and I'm biased so I will OBJECT to that case. As new colors I would add Blackquill and Apollo. And new Trucy and Athena alts for Maya. And make better pairs. Some combinations of Nick-Maya didn't match at all in Marvel like Edgey-Mia or Godot-Kay.

I would match them like this:

1: OG Nick and OG Maya
2: Edgey Nick and Kay Maya
3: Gumshoe Nick and Franzie Maya
4: Godot Nick and Mia Maya
5: Larry Nick and Iris Maya
6: Apollo Nick and Trucy Maya
7: Blackquill Nick and Athena Maya
8: Sissel Nick and Lynne Maya (If you think Lynne's alt is too similar to Maya's. I disagree. Lynne's is mostly blue with bright yellow sleeves and has red hair. Athena would be mostly yellow and with brown hair, her.... belt? would be light blue unlike Lynne's red).

By the way. Happy Valentine's Day folks. May we all find the soul mate of our lives that isn't a psycho mass murderer.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Just finished Spirit of Justice, my impressions of the game:
Overall I enjoyed it a lot. Maybe I missed something but I didn't get the feeling of Apollo being credited for everything at the end of the game, this is a thing I read from time to time. At least I don't feel he received more credit than what he deserved, but as I said maybe I skipped someting.
Usually I prefer to wait a certain amount of time before judging a game to have a better perspective of the game, so idk very well how I'd judge Spirit of Justice. What I know is that I had a great time with the game. Anyway, I had a few problems with the game, maybe some of them are super minor flaws but I'd like to explain myself
- Maya. I loved seeing her coming back. But in the end she only appears in 6-3 and 6-5, and while her role of channeling Dhurke is an important task, is not like she appears a lot in 6-5. Story wise her absence is justified, that's true, but I felt like she wasn't really well used...
- Didn't like at all Ga'ran. I mean, she as a prosecutor for 6-5 is a really cool idea. Also, at that point is pretty obvious that she isn't really the best person in the world. But her evil side was too much for me. I think that I really didn't like of her was his second design. And while Spirit of Justice is a bit more goofy than previous games, I think they could have handled Ga'ran in a more interesting way, at least for my taste.
- The placement of 6-4 case. It's not I didn't like the case, in fact, I think it's a cool one, but for me 6-4 should have took place before 6-3. 6-3 being 6-4 makes more sense for me for the overall story.

Divination Seances is a pretty cool mechanic, but I think the idea needs to be refined a bit. But I don't know if they will bring back the mechanic for next games.
Story wise, Apollo's ending is pretty great. I didn't expect him to stay in Khura'in, which I think it's a great way to develop the character. While I always liked Apollo, he never really clicked on me until Dual Destinies, and in SoJ is even better if you ask me. I guess he won't appear in the next game, which I think it's fine and a good move. I think that AA7 being mostly focused in Athena would be a great idea. Phoenix will be always there, and while Athena has an important role in Dual Destinies, I think it's time for her to grow as a lawyer as Apollo did.

Blackquill returning in 6-4 and helping Athena was a really good surprise, I didn't expect him to appear in this game, honestly. About Nahyuta, at the beginning I wasn't really a fan of him, he seemed cool but nothing more. Finally I ended liking him more, thanks to all the story with Dhurke, the Defiant Dragons, he trying to protect Rayfa, and more.
Rayfa and Dhurke were great characters, and I think SoJ has some of the best witnesses in the franchise. The culprits, while super goofy, were cool, specially Mr. Reus. Apollo and Phoenix facing each other was unexpected but a great idea. Trucy has more presence in this game than DD which I'm happy for.

For AA7, even if it doesn't make much sense with her new position, I hope they will bring back Maya and do something more with her. Idk, maybe having Athena and Maya teaming up in some cases for whatever reason? Phoenix could be there for the first or two first cases, then something happens with him that forces him to leave and he asks Maya to help Athena in the upcoming trials. Just an idea, but as a overarching plot for AA7 I could see Phoenix suffering some sort of accident at the beginning of the game and then Athena, with the help of Maya, leads the next cases and ends finding the culprit who attacked Phoenix.

It's probably a silly idea but I think that something like that could be cool. In any case, whatever route they take for AA7 I will be there day one purchasing the game because I'm already missing the lovely cast.
I will play the Investigations games at some point, but for now I think I will take a break of the series.

TL;DR Ace Attorney is an amazing franchise.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Just finished Spirit of Justice, my impressions of the game:
Overall I enjoyed it a lot. Maybe I missed something but I didn't get the feeling of Apollo being credited for everything at the end of the game, this is a thing I read from time to time. At least I don't feel he received more credit than what he deserved, but as I said maybe I skipped someting.
Usually I prefer to wait a certain amount of time before judging a game to have a better perspective of the game, so idk very well how I'd judge Spirit of Justice. What I know is that I had a great time with the game. Anyway, I had a few problems with the game, maybe some of them are super minor flaws but I'd like to explain myself
- Maya. I loved seeing her coming back. But in the end she only appears in 6-3 and 6-5, and while her role of channeling Dhurke is an important task, is not like she appears a lot in 6-5. Story wise her absence is justified, that's true, but I felt like she wasn't really well used...
- Didn't like at all Ga'ran. I mean, she as a prosecutor for 6-5 is a really cool idea. Also, at that point is pretty obvious that she isn't really the best person in the world. But her evil side was too much for me. I think that I really didn't like of her was his second design. And while Spirit of Justice is a bit more goofy than previous games, I think they could have handled Ga'ran in a more interesting way, at least for my taste.
- The placement of 6-4 case. It's not I didn't like the case, in fact, I think it's a cool one, but for me 6-4 should have took place before 6-3. 6-3 being 6-4 makes more sense for me for the overall story.

Divination Seances is a pretty cool mechanic, but I think the idea needs to be refined a bit. But I don't know if they will bring back the mechanic for next games.
Story wise, Apollo's ending is pretty great. I didn't expect him to stay in Khura'in, which I think it's a great way to develop the character. While I always liked Apollo, he never really clicked on me until Dual Destinies, and in SoJ is even better if you ask me. I guess he won't appear in the next game, which I think it's fine and a good move. I think that AA7 being mostly focused in Athena would be a great idea. Phoenix will be always there, and while Athena has an important role in Dual Destinies, I think it's time for her to grow as a lawyer as Apollo did.

Blackquill returning in 6-4 and helping Athena was a really good surprise, I didn't expect him to appear in this game, honestly. About Nahyuta, at the beginning I wasn't really a fan of him, he seemed cool but nothing more. Finally I ended liking him more, thanks to all the story with Dhurke, the Defiant Dragons, he trying to protect Rayfa, and more.
Rayfa and Dhurke were great characters, and I think SoJ has some of the best witnesses in the franchise. The culprits, while super goofy, were cool, specially Mr. Reus. Apollo and Phoenix facing each other was unexpected but a great idea. Trucy has more presence in this game than DD which I'm happy for.

For AA7, even if it doesn't make much sense with her new position, I hope they will bring back Maya and do something more with her. Idk, maybe having Athena and Maya teaming up in some cases for whatever reason? Phoenix could be there for the first or two first cases, then something happens with him that forces him to leave and he asks Maya to help Athena in the upcoming trials. Just an idea, but as a overarching plot for AA7 I could see Phoenix suffering some sort of accident at the beginning of the game and then Athena, with the help of Maya, leads the next cases and ends finding the culprit who attacked Phoenix.

It's probably a silly idea but I think that something like that could be cool. In any case, whatever route they take for AA7 I will be there day one purchasing the game because I'm already missing the lovely cast.
I will play the Investigations games at some point, but for now I think I will take a break of the series.

TL;DR Ace Attorney is an amazing franchise.
After reading your conclusions. I get that you LOVE Maya. In that case I don't think you are done with SoJ yet. There's a DLC case with the old-school assistant Maya, an old recurrent AA character and the prosecutor Edgeworth waiting for you.
My opinions on that case put aside, I think you will get a lot of enjoyment just reading Maya's lines.

Top Bottom