• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Things I've kept in mind include Kamiya's twitter poll for who his fans would want to see in Smash, that Dante was winning before it got taken down, but what's also interesting is that Kamiya himself says he wants Phoenix in Smash! I think he's said it multiple times, here's one time https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1075222957507502080?s=20 So it just makes me imagine stuff I can't know, like Sakurai calling him up and Kamiya convincing him to add both Dante and Phoenix haha
I do think it's a real possibility that we get both, there's no rule against it and they both "represent" very different things, wouldn't really feel redundant or whatever? But yeah, I don't know anything! I hope for Phoenix and hope everyone can be happy aaand uhh yeaaah Dante could be annoying to fight against, but he doesn't have to be! ...does he? Would it be faithful for him to like...chill a bit or something...?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
am i the only one who thinks one capcom character doesnt effect the chances of another?
I can understand where it comes from. There isn't many cases where one third party company gets multiple new characters in a batch of newcomers. (echos don't count)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I mean I love Capcom so I'd love to get both Dante and Phoenix, or any number of dual Capcom reps. I just don't think it's super likely.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
i just think everyones over thinking it a bit
What else is new. Just the usual pre-conceived notions and tired fan rules.

There clearly aren't enough games to distract them long enough from doing that. If we get a new Capcom character or two, cool, if we don't, fair enough. It's not like this is a conspiracy to make fans depressed.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What else is new. Just the usual pre-conceived notions and tired fan rules.

There clearly aren't enough games to distract them long enough from doing that. If we get a new Capcom character or two, cool, if we don't, fair enough. It's not like this is a conspiracy to make fans depressed.
youd think by now wed all have learned

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
am i the only one
the answer to these questions is always no.
I think in general it's just easier to disbelieve something that hasn't happened happening than the mold being broken and that's why we usually make up rules regarding speculation as to what's likely or not, even Sakurais own words have proven to be untrustworthy regarding what can and can't happen. I don't think it matters much as long as people don't act as assholes presenting their points and beliefs regarding the matter.
I think Capcom is big enough to get 2 reps throughout pass 2 (or further beyond if this continues for another set), even with MH and RE likely being disconfirmed they have plenty of big names they could use (unlike something like SNK where most of their most recognised characters were relegated to smaller roles as some sort of celebration for the whole company with Terrys inclusion), and they were the first to break the only one rep per company some thought about during the Sm4sh days, but it's true that slots in a Smash game can be pretty competitive to consider this a particularly likely scenario, we could very well get no new Capcom characters at all.
Anyhow, supposing both Phoenix and Dante happened, I was wondering how likely it's they'd have something like a dual reveal during a Nintendo E3 or something. I don't think we've had a multiple reveal trailer since Brawls original reveal (barring clones/echoes in :ultlucina::ultrichter:, I don't count Megaman as that was a pretty set apart trailer from 4 reveal), and it's not like those 2 share a lot in common barring the same dev/publisher to think that'd make the most sense, but I guess that could be considered enough to have them tag along or something.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the answer to these questions is always no.
I think in general it's just easier to disbelieve something that hasn't happened happening than the mold being broken and that's why we usually make up rules regarding speculation as to what's likely or not, even Sakurais own words have proven to be untrustworthy regarding what can and can't happen. I don't think it matters much as long as people don't act as assholes presenting their points and beliefs regarding the matter.
I think Capcom is big enough to get 2 reps throughout pass 2 (or further beyond if this continues for another set), even with MH and RE likely being disconfirmed they have plenty of big names they could use (unlike something like SNK where most of their most recognised characters were relegated to smaller roles as some sort of celebration for the whole company with Terrys inclusion), and they were the first to break the only one rep per company some thought about during the Sm4sh days, but it's true that slots in a Smash game can be pretty competitive to consider this a particularly likely scenario, we could very well get no new Capcom characters at all.
Anyhow, supposing both Phoenix and Dante happened, I was wondering how likely it's they'd have something like a dual reveal during a Nintendo E3 or something. I don't think we've had a multiple reveal trailer since Brawls original reveal (barring clones/echoes in :ultlucina::ultrichter:, I don't count Megaman as that was a pretty set apart trailer from 4 reveal), and it's not like those 2 share a lot in common barring the same dev/publisher to think that'd make the most sense, but I guess that could be considered enough to have them tag along or something.
im no fan of the series, but is monster hunter deconfirmed? dont we only have the boss?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
im no fan of the series, but is monster hunter deconfirmed? dont we only have the boss?
I think the devs comments on prefering to feature monsters whenever MH crosses over rather than the hunters themselves doesnt bode well for that franchise getting a rep (unless they consider actually making a monster playable that I'm not aware of from common speculation). I remember wyoming mentioning something from the dev team really not liking the hunter being a playable character in MvsCI, but I got no sources on that to confirm it's veracity. I think that's why MH is usually considered a goner in threads like this or the Dante one.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think the devs comments on prefering to feature monsters whenever MH crosses over rather than the hunters themselves doesnt bode well for that franchise getting a rep (unless they consider actually making a monster playable that I'm not aware of from common speculation). I remember wyoming mentioning something from the dev team really not liking the hunter being a playable character in MvsCI, but I got no sources on that to confirm it's veracity. I think that's why MH is usually considered a goner in threads like this or the Dante one.
fair enough then, though after five crossovers with nintendo i imagine its fans still have a bit to hold on to

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case I am open to things changing in regards to Smash speculation, but the core base always pounds down their views that nothing will change and say not to expect nice things this time. I already dealt with this in regards to having DLC after the base, and more DLC after the first Fighter Pass.

In regards to MH, I'm not really expecting it to get anything else in Ultimate until further notice. Could happen, but as it stands it seems likelier that they'll want to focus on a different series.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
As far as I know, Dante hasn't had a super-big fan campaign during 4's ballot days, so you're probably worrying for nothing, again.

Just look at :ultbanjokazooie: fans, they were worried that Steve would get in first, even though the latter didn't have noteworthy advertised ballot support.
Well tbf Banjo didn't had a fenomenal support before Phil Spencer said he would be okay with B&K being in Smash.
Also, fan requests getting before other characters doesn't always happen. I mean, look at Geno and Hero. And I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Square character this pass that isn't Geno, honestly.

For Phoenix this could go either way. While Ace Attorney is for sure associated with Nintendo and a important franchise for their handheld consoles it's not like AA is in a Dragon Quest situation where I can see Nintendo picking Dragon Quest before more popular options.
It depends on Nintendo and Sakurai. I think that for Nintendo picking Dante makes a bit more sense, if they want to make a huge buzz and all that, also because DMC is more prominent than AA in the last years. Phoenix would also do a good buzz even if it's only because he's a lawyer, but probably not at the same level.

I don't think Capcom would be against Phoenix or any other character to be honest. I believe it's up to Sakurai and Nintendo. If they want Dante they will get him, if they want Phoenix they will get him, and so on.

That's if we get another Capcom character, of course. I agree that for Phoenix having a new game could help to boost his chances and also his fan support, specially if the game has some type of exclusivity with Nintendo. If Capcom announces AA7 the game will be for sure revealed at a Nintendo Direct and Nintendo will have the marketing rights for the game if the game it's multiplatform. I don't see AA7 being revealed in a Microsoft or Sony event. Maybe at the Tokyo Game Show or something like that.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
While it is possible we get two characters from the same company in one pass, the fact that it hasn't happened yet for Smash DLC makes me think we should be expecting only one.

There are many companies out there with valid character choices for Smash. I think it makes more sense from a business point of view to create opportunities with as many companies as possible, which is why I go with the "1 character for one company per pass" for now. Fan rules aren't necessarily wrong...heck these perceived rules were actually correct for the most part in wave 1 - one character per company, spirits/assists disconfirm for wave 1 (this was helped by the fact that the timing was outright terrible for these to begin with), and that smash 4 mii costumes would return in batches, etc.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Some people think that the Mega Man costumes returning randomly with other unrelated characters was a little strange.
I think they just did that because no Capcom character was planned for pass 1.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While it is possible we get two characters from the same company in one pass, the fact that it hasn't happened yet for Smash DLC makes me think we should be expecting only one.

There are many companies out there with valid character choices for Smash. I think it makes more sense from a business point of view to create opportunities with as many companies as possible, which is why I go with the "1 character for one company per pass" for now. Fan rules aren't necessarily wrong...heck these perceived rules were actually correct for the most part in wave 1 - one character per company, spirits/assists disconfirm for wave 1 (this was helped by the fact that the timing was outright terrible for these to begin with), and that smash 4 mii costumes would return in batches, etc.
Honestly, that's the exact kind of reasoning that tempts fate to prove someone wrong in some way eventually. Like how most people thought Pass 1 would only have third-parties after the first 4 people and Reggie's quote. Regardless of how valid anything seems, character choices from this point onwards will be even more unpredictable.

I'm open to any possibility happening, even if the world's against me on these things.

Some people think that the Mega Man costumes returning randomly with other unrelated characters was a little strange.
I think they just did that because no Capcom character was planned for pass 1.
There's no rhyme or reason for the Mii costumes being released the way they were for pass 1. After :ultjoker: and :ulthero:, it was pretty random. I mean, you can't associate Altair and the Rabbids with Fire Emblem, for example.

Besides, negotiations for a new Capcom character or two may not have been finished yet anyways, otherwise we wouldn't have seen that RE spirit event.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Honestly, that's the exact kind of reasoning that tempts fate to prove someone wrong in some way eventually. Like how most people thought Pass 1 would only have third-parties after the first 4 people and Reggie's quote
I am still having the hardest time understanding why they did this. How do you drop a vague quote like that and have the pass be mostly third party just to make the last character a 1st party pick. All it did was fuel speculation and hype up who this mysterious 5th character was that Sakurai saw to personally no one knew about till the day of his presentation.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit: I'll leave this here:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ts_latest_album_and_dream_smash_bros_fighters

Guess who they'd like to see.

I am still having the hardest time understanding why they did this. How do you drop a vague quote like that and have the pass be mostly third party just to make the last character a 1st party pick. All it did was fuel speculation and hype up who this mysterious 5th character was that Sakurai saw to personally no one knew about till the day of his presentation.
Reggie apparently forgot how to say "newcomers" like most other people. Either him or whoever it is that instructed him to say it. Would have been much simpler to just say "everyone that's coming is a newcomer", which even then is the most obvious statement, since all the veterans are already in.

Hopefully :bowsette: won't run into any English language snafus like that. On the bright side, the VGAs last year have encouraged us not to bother paying attention to that event ever again. That event does strange things to people.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Just got done beating the 5th case of Dual Destinies. It felt satisfying to finally beat the 5th case. I also know why the game is rated M now and I got really disturbed with some parts. But overall it felt good beating it.

That being said I still need to do the DLC case. Afterwards I'll get ready for Spirit of Justice. Is there any things I should know before hopping into SoJ.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just got done beating the 5th case of Dual Destinies. It felt satisfying to finally beat the 5th case. I also know why the game is rated M now and I got really disturbed with some parts. But overall it felt good beating it.

That being said I still need to do the DLC case. Afterwards I'll get ready for Spirit of Justice. Is there any things I should know before hopping into SoJ.
i loved the dlc case in that one, so mad

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

Watch the animated prologue of SoJ. It fills some holes that someone who just starts playing the game won't know.

BTW the DLC case in Dual Destinies happens just before Turnabout Academy. The DLC case of Spirit of Justice happens after the ending of that game.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I do find the handling of mii costumes curious. Since the MM ones dropped with Banjo it showed it doesn't really matter if the about to be released newcomer has anything to do with the miis parent company, but the absence of the the likes of Rathalos armor and all Namco costumes is weird given I don't think they decided on making more DLC until E3-Heros release (as I imagine it was done long before the public announcement on that September direct), so wouldn't it make sense that they'd want to release all the missing mii costumes throughout the DLC they know they're developing for sure? I guess the answer could be something really boring like they decided to delay some of them until the next fighters pass or they had some legal complications getting all the rights back to release them again, but eh, I just like to believe there might be something more interesting behind it.
I don't think I'm ready to see Geno be mii costumed again however (should that be his fate again), I don't really care for him one way or another but oh boy, the reaction from fans wouldn't be pretty, especially if Mallow tails behind in case that video leak from a while ago is true.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
don't think I'm ready to see Geno be mii costumed again however (should that be his fate again), I don't really care for him one way or another but oh boy, the reaction from fans wouldn't be pretty, especially if Mallow tails behind in case that video leak from a while ago is true.
That's one of the reasons I left the Geno thread. Getting my expectations in check just in case because, they are really getting their hopes up in there. Like, not even hopefully optimistic. But thinking he is outright confirmed and we are just waiting for him to be announced.

The fallout that thread is gonna have in the case of a Mii costume is not something I want to deal with.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At this point I want to know if the person who leaked those Mallow and Cacodemon costumes is a coding wizard whom the gaming industry would benefit highly from, instead of playing 4D chess with a fanbase for a few yucks.

Still though, it'd be a shame to see that Geno is stuck with shared rights issues, although it still beats the fact that we can't ever see any Hyrule Warriors and FE Warriors content of any sort in here, for some strange reason.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Still though, it'd be a shame to see that Geno is stuck with shared rights issues, although it still beats the fact that we can't ever see any Hyrule Warriors and FE Warriors content of any sort in here, for some strange reason.
actually a copy right notice on a fire emblem trading card of one of the warriors characters seem to suggest that they are owned by nintendo/intelligent systems, cant be sure about hyrule warriors though

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
That's one of the reasons I left the Geno thread. Getting my expectations in check just in case because, they are really getting their hopes up in there. Like, not even hopefully optimistic. But thinking he is outright confirmed and we are just waiting for him to be announced.

The fallout that thread is gonna have in the case of a Mii costume is not something I want to deal with.
Honestly, I'm on the "spirit = deconfirm" wagon full-stop. Since that theory isn't debunked as of the first pass, I'm assuming it holds true in the second pass. Would be a shame for Geno fans if true.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Honestly, I'm on the "spirit = deconfirm" wagon full-stop. Since that theory isn't debunked as of the first pass, I'm assuming it holds true in the second pass. Would be a shame for Geno fans if true.
I think spirits deconfirm most characters, but situations change over the course of 2 years. Spirits added when you think there's only one wave of DLC get reconsidered once your bosses tell you more DLC is on the table. Rex and Pyra are a notable example imo. Mainly added as spirits and costumes because Sakurai knew they wouldn't be added for DLC or base game, but now with XBC1 definitive edition on the horizon I think they have another shot.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I feel that way as well, but it's more of spirits deconfirm until proven otherwise. If a spirit does come in as a fighter, I'd welcome it.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Okay, so we're back to the pre-Smash 4 DLC speculation days...

I'll come back to this thread after common sense does.

I'm not really pushing for spirits to be deconfirmed. It's more of just a belief that isn't really supported by any evidence. I'd like a spirit to be upgraded into a fighter but I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. It might be because I don't really have a spirit that I would be invested in enough to want as a fighter.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Remember when Mewtwo and Lucas were deconfirmed forever because of their trophies? Good times.

I know that example has been used a lot. But it shows that if some current spirit is decided to be playable in pass 2 (Which was decided "after" the game launch. Not "before" like pass 1). Then they will be playable regardless.

But that's a discussion for the general Newcomer topic. Nick is safe from post-launch spirit hell... is he?

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
We are being rated in Rate Your Chances right now, alongside Dante! Come one, come all Phoenix supporters!

D

Deleted member

I'm there guys both the pizza eating demon slayer and the good natured lawyer have my support!

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I don't really understand what's so unacceptable about believing in the absence of contrary evidence that it's likely Spirits deconfirm or that it's unlikely for one company to get two characters in a single pass. Even if someone who believes either thing is proven wrong and it happens down the line, it doesn't make it any more likely for it to have happened, and they were still making a perfectly commonsense judgment based on available evidence. Sure, if you think this or that is absolutely impossible it's a bit silly, but that's really about the scope of it.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
He's a little lower on my priority list but I'm also supporting Phoenix! Played all the main games so far.

I'm real curious (and sorry if this has been discussed before) but what did you guys think of SOJ? Like or dislike? I actually quite liked it but it seems a lot of AA spaces online weren't fans of it. I can definitely understand why people wouldn't be fans of it (time for Rayfa to dance again!)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
He's a little lower on my priority list but I'm also supporting Phoenix! Played all the main games so far.

I'm real curious (and sorry if this has been discussed before) but what did you guys think of SOJ? Like or dislike? I actually quite liked it but it seems a lot of AA spaces online weren't fans of it. I can definitely understand why people wouldn't be fans of it (time for Rayfa to dance again!)
I'm more on team dislike to be honest, but that's mostly for the main plot and new characters, the series still delivers on good mysteries at the very least (well, somewhat).

That dance, though, I really liked that animation. Never skipped it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Team dislike for reasons I've explained a lot, though case 2 is one of my favorites in the series, so it's complicated. I just think they did a lot of my favorite characters dirty and tried too hard to appeal to older fans but in really weak ways and at the expense of all the interesting things established in the previous two games, so they ended up pleasing nobody. That said, it had plenty of really interesting side characters and again The Magical Turnabout is one of the best cases ever but...yeah.

I'll spare you the rant. Haha.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I think spirits deconfirm most characters, but situations change over the course of 2 years. Spirits added when you think there's only one wave of DLC get reconsidered once your bosses tell you more DLC is on the table. Rex and Pyra are a notable example imo. Mainly added as spirits and costumes because Sakurai knew they wouldn't be added for DLC or base game, but now with XBC1 definitive edition on the horizon I think they have another shot.
I feel Rex biggest problem is his mii costume rather than his spirit, but hey, who knows, I think the spirited 3rd parties are in bigger trouble of not getting an upgrade than the 1st parties, but that's just me thinking they wouldn't have gone through the paperwork if they might have saved those for something else (I guess you could use mii costumes against this logic but eh).
Remember when Mewtwo and Lucas were deconfirmed forever because of their trophies? Good times.
I don't really like this counterpoint because these were veterans coming back, not brand new characters being added. I'd find it more impressive if someone like Wonder Red or Rayman got such a treatment during the Sm4sh days, as it is, it's not a strong debunk on spirits=/=not disconfirming, imo. I do find the idea of spirits being revised for the next pass compelling and possible though, but not for costumes or AT.
I don't really understand what's so unacceptable about believing in the absence of contrary evidence that it's likely Spirits deconfirm or that it's unlikely for one company to get two characters in a single pass. Even if someone who believes either thing is proven wrong and it happens down the line, it doesn't make it any more likely for it to have happened, and they were still making a perfectly commonsense judgment based on available evidence. Sure, if you think this or that is absolutely impossible it's a bit silly, but that's really about the scope of it.
Pretty much this. Banking on something 100% (or I guess 0% depending on how you look at it) is extreme and usually not very wise, but there's nothing wrong with a "nah, not counting on that happening" mentality. IMO, if we kept the gates open for everything always being possible, speculating would be pointless, and well, it is! But never narrowing down possibilities just makes it boring. I don't agree with everything regarding what makes X or Y likely/unlikely, but it's interesting to read some points being made for or against a character chances (given that it's decently elaborated). People take too personally whether they're right or wrong over something so unimportant.
It's easily my least favorite entry in the series, and I guess you could say that's not very surprising as, barring Investigations 2, I haven't really liked any of the post OG trilogy games. The weird party about SoJ is that it does improve over some of DD problems, it's generally a better written game with far more cohesive cases, but like every game since T&T, it feels like everything has to connect to a bombastic ending that ties everything together, and this is where I feel the game falls apart. I don't like the revolution plot, at all, and I hate just about every character introduced, minor or major. I'd easily classify Nahyuta and Rayfa as the worst prosecutors and assistants (if you can even call her that) in the franchise, by a long shot. And I really don't like how hard it feels like it tries to recreate some of the series most powerful moments? I think
the last case is the biggest culprit of this, Maya being kidnapped? Phoenix desperate animation? Maya secretly spirit channeling someone to stay safe? Overly convoluted plan over a spiritual clan so someone with less prowess in the family stays in power? Edgeworth coming back to help at the last minute? Those are the only ones that instantly come to mind, but yeah, it feels like a half assed attempt to recreate what made the last cases in JFA and T&T so good.
It also has, imo, the weakest soundtrack in the franchise, nothing stood out when I experienced it, and after DD, that's pretty disappointing.
Oddly enough, despite my distaste for SoJ, I probably have more nice things to say about it than the Layton crossover, that game just did absolutely nothing for me, especially with how long it took to be localized.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Team dislike for reasons I've explained a lot, though case 2 is one of my favorites in the series, so it's complicated. I just think they did a lot of my favorite characters dirty and tried too hard to appeal to older fans but in really weak ways and at the expense of all the interesting things established in the previous two games, so they ended up pleasing nobody. That said, it had plenty of really interesting side characters and again The Magical Turnabout is one of the best cases ever but...yeah.

I'll spare you the rant. Haha.
Case 2 felt like the AJ sequel I always wanted, really like it as well :)

It also has, imo, the weakest soundtrack in the franchise, nothing stood out when I experienced it, and after DD, that's pretty disappointing.
I think it's a little lower in consistency but has some really great tracks amidst the mediocre ones. Tracks like Audience Chamber and Court of Resignation, all the main attorney themes (Liked the Athena remix particularly) and some of the general Khura'in tracks are nice.

Investigation theme always has me tapping my foot along too lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom