• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think they are gonna pull a "safe Nintendo pick" for fighter #6 like they did was this pass. Expect the first 4 to be hype picks (regardless of if you want them or not) and the last two are gonna be safe Nintendo picks that no one actually wanted but assumed they would make it in at some point.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I have a feeling the sixth DLC character might break the spirit curse (Rex, Bandana Dee). Either is that or some groundbreaking WHAT?? character to convince people to buy the pass like Crash Bandicoot.

As long as Ace Attorney doesn't receive the Spirit Board death, ee will be safe. Now it's just too extremely long 2 years of waiting.... why can't they just say outright who it is like Capcom and Namco? That is better for my health.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think they are gonna pull a "safe Nintendo pick" for fighter #6 like they did was this pass. Expect the first 4 to be hype picks (regardless of if you want them or not) and the last two are gonna be safe Nintendo picks that no one actually wanted but assumed they would make it in at some point.
who was safe nintendo pick? both PP byleth were taken pretty negatively

Krankees

Smash Ace
I have a feeling the sixth DLC character might break the spirit curse (Rex, Bandana Dee). Either is that or some groundbreaking WHAT?? character to convince people to buy the pass like Crash Bandicoot.

As long as Ace Attorney doesn't receive the Spirit Board death, ee will be safe. Now it's just too extremely long 2 years of waiting.... why can't they just say outright who it is like Capcom and Namco? That is better for my health.
I think the character would be someone like Joker, a niche pick that would still be hype.

I also gave it some thought and I don't see how Ace Attorney can get a spirit event without either Dante getting in or also getting a spirit board or a Mii costume first.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Hey I started the Ace Attorney Trilogy HD. It's really cool! I played it until 1 AM in the morning just because I wanted to go through the end of the second scenario! This didn't happen for like years.

I'm not far in the serie, but it's going to be really fun I'm sure of it. Not my most wanted for a Capcom rep, but a solid one for sure. You can add me to the support list.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I wonder if they're still working on the Cuphead DLC given that still isn't out iirc. I'm surprised they wanted to work so soon on more of that given the nightmare it was get the base game out.
Safe as I mean "completely expected" like there is no hype surrounding them. They just show up without any fanfare.
it's gonna be hard to guess expected 1st parties for now, as something like Rex or Spring Man were too soon for the base roster, yet apparently FE was fine for DLC, but then Astral Chain only got a spirits event, and I have my doubts about the likes of Dixie, Bandana Dee, Porky, etc unless they get some major new game announced in the next 2 years (as I certainly doubt you could consider their push throughout nearly 20 years of Smash to be as notable as that of Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, etc to break the so called "relevancy" issue). I guess we'll have to see if we get any major announcements or standout characters in upcoming Nintendo games to start throwing guesses for who could appear from their end, like maybe a significant character from BotW2.

Last edited:

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
I also gave it some thought and I don't see how Ace Attorney can get a spirit event without either Dante getting in or also getting a spirit board or a Mii costume first.
Couldn't the same have been said about RE before that spirit event?

Krankees

Smash Ace
Couldn't the same have been said about RE before that spirit event?
True but unlike Ace Attorney, RE was the frontrunner for Capcom since their games were the oldest after Mega Man and Ryu and I believe was more popular than DMC.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
From a pure sales perspective, Resident Evil is almost twice as popular and lucrative as Capcom's next most-popular franchise. It's sold 93 million units. The next-most is Monster Hunter, at 58 million. So if nothing else, it's not looking like "financial viability" is a particularly enormous obstacle for us, given that I think both of those are well and dead.

Though, DMC is in the same "moderately lucrative" bracket as SF and Mega Man, at 20 mil. to their respective 43 and 35, and Ace Attorney's sitting not-so-pretty at 7. I'd say it's all pretty meaningless relative to Sakurai/Nintendo's discretion, though.

Personally, I think Ace Attorney 7's presence this year is going to be a make-or-break event for Phoenix's chances. Either it's announced this year and he gets in Smash or is Spirit Boarded, or it doesn't and he's just completely unmentioned. There are therefore many reasons to be annoyed at the prospect of AA7 being a no-show again this year.

Krankees

Smash Ace
From a pure sales perspective, Resident Evil is almost twice as popular and lucrative as Capcom's next most-popular franchise. It's sold 93 million units. The next-most is Monster Hunter, at 58 million. So if nothing else, it's not looking like "financial viability" is a particularly enormous obstacle for us, given that I think both of those are well and dead.

Though, DMC is in the same "moderately lucrative" bracket as SF and Mega Man, at 20 mil. to their respective 43 and 35, and Ace Attorney's sitting not-so-pretty at 7. I'd say it's all pretty meaningless relative to Sakurai/Nintendo's discretion, though.

Personally, I think Ace Attorney 7's presence this year is going to be a make-or-break event for Phoenix's chances. Either it's announced this year and he gets in Smash or is Spirit Boarded, or it doesn't and he's just completely unmentioned. There are therefore many reasons to be annoyed at the prospect of AA7 being a no-show again this year.
Do we need AA7 for Phoenix to get in? I don't see why Sakurai couldn't include him even he didn't get a new game. Although it would be nice if we got AA7 or another collection with AAI2 in it.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Do we need AA7 for Phoenix to get in? I don't see why Sakurai couldn't include him even he didn't get a new game. Although it would be nice if we got AA7 or another collection with AAI2 in it.
It's not necessarily that we need it for him to get in, but the only character in the DLC pass who got in without something formally announced either for release the same year or just on the horizon is Banjo, who got in entirely on the back of a decade of fan requests, on top of Sakurai's existing goodwill toward him.

Joker had P5S, PQ2, and P5R.
Hero had DQXI for Switch.
Terry has KOFXV coming soon.
Byleth, obviously, has Three Houses.

I think, unless it's someone with overwhelming, long-standing fan-demand, a character's got to have something going on to get in. I could be wrong, and we end up randomly getting a character who hasn't had a game in half a decade or something, but I think Phoenix stands a much better chance against an immediately-relevant Capcom pick like Dante if he has something of his own coming out soon.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Do we need AA7 for Phoenix to get in?
Banjo and Terry say no, but it certainly cant hurt as seen with Joker and Hero. Sheer numbers arent the end all be all for a character making it in, but one could argue DMC is a more important franchise for the industry than AA and it made a bigger splash in comparison to how common hack n slash where during that decade. I dont think Sakurai talked extensively on either to claim which could get his bias, and while online polls are shaky I remember seeing Phoenix and Dante ranking very close to each other aa the top Capcom characters most of the time one pops up.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Having your series' most recent entry not even be internationally released is also not a great look, even if it's technically a spin-off; I think having a major, worldwide title to point to when promoting would be very helpful for Phoenix, especially with Dante having just gotten a mainline game and with his titles finally coming to Nintendo. Re-establishing him as a presence in Capcom's lineup would do wonders for him, in my eyes.

... And he's overdue anyway, damn it.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I dont think so. Banjo and Terry got in with nothing of note coming out to my knowledge. Just a matter if Nintendo wants him and Sakurai can make him work

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I always like to say, one of the reasons I actually wanna see Phoenix in Smash, its for the exposure, its a bit selfish I know, but I genuinely want more people to try Ace Attorney, and maybe that way, Capcom will pay more attention to the franchise and start making/localizing new games.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's not necessarily that we need it for him to get in, but the only character in the DLC pass who got in without something formally announced either for release the same year or just on the horizon is Banjo, who got in entirely on the back of a decade of fan requests, on top of Sakurai's existing goodwill toward him.

Joker had P5S, PQ2, and P5R.
Hero had DQXI for Switch.
Terry has KOFXV coming soon.
Byleth, obviously, has Three Houses.

I think, unless it's someone with overwhelming, long-standing fan-demand, a character's got to have something going on to get in. I could be wrong, and we end up randomly getting a character who hasn't had a game in half a decade or something, but I think Phoenix stands a much better chance against an immediately-relevant Capcom pick like Dante if he has something of his own coming out soon.
Well, Ace Attorney Trilogy HD was released on Switch less than a year ago at this point, so there's that. It just got a Winter sale at the end of December too, so I'd imagine a lot of people picked it up relatively recently.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
We might be getting another Spirit board event in a month or two right? Who could it be if we got one in February or March?

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
We might be getting another Spirit board event in a month or two right? Who could it be if we got one in February or March?
If it's March or April, we could get a New Horizons board, since I imagine there'll be a few new NPCs, and most "normal" villagers aren't represented as Spirits. Pick a handful of fan-favorites among 'em, and you've got yourself a Spirit Board. I'd say Doom Eternal, but I reckon they'd wait until it was released on Switch, in particular, before they did that.

... I mean, the obvious answer is that we could get a Devil May Cry board, but I'm not quite selfish enough to outright wish something like that on Dante fans.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Imo, should DMC get a spirits event, it would be after they finish porting the entries in the series the Switch can handle, so we still need to hear news about DMC4/DmC.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Having your series' most recent entry not even be internationally released is also not a great look, even if it's technically a spin-off; I think having a major, worldwide title to point to when promoting would be very helpful for Phoenix, especially with Dante having just gotten a mainline game and with his titles finally coming to Nintendo. Re-establishing him as a presence in Capcom's lineup would do wonders for him, in my eyes.

... And he's overdue anyway, damn it.
This maybe hurts a bit but it's true. I know that visual novel games aren't the most popular and mainstream games but I think that Phoenix does lack a bit of exposure in the last years. Maybe it's because Capcom seems to be trying to make some of their biggest IPs even more AAA games thanks to the amazing RE engine, like happened with DMC5 or Resident Evil 7 and 2. Monster Hunter as well even if the game doesn't use the RE engine.
I don't think you can make an Ace Attorney game with a AAA approach, at least by today's standards. I mean, you could make it but I don't think it would feel right, you know?

Ofc all of this doesn't mean Capcom can't publish games with less budget. You have Megaman 11, for example. But I believe that Capcom could do a better job to maintain AA exposure and relevancy these last few years outside the original trilogy port.

I always like to say, one of the reasons I actually wanna see Phoenix in Smash, its for the exposure, its a bit selfish I know, but I genuinely want more people to try Ace Attorney, and maybe that way, Capcom will pay more attention to the franchise and start making/localizing new games.
I agree. Smash always helps even if the character or the franchise doesn't get in. A potential character being discussed for Smash creates interest and speculation which is always good for the character and his franchise because some people will look into the potential fighter and try his games.

Personally I think that Phoenix getting in Smash depends mostly on Sakurai. I think it's a pretty safe bet to expect a Capcom character for the next 6 DLCs. The spirit board for Resident Evil means that both Capcom and Nintendo had some type of negotiations, a good opportunity for discuss the possibility of having a fourth Capcom character in the second fighter pass. I think that the timing of that aligns pretty well with the schedule of the second pass.
Anyway. If Sakurai wants Phoenix I don't think Capcom would be against that, specially if they had plans for boost AA popularity in the next years.

About AA or DMC being spirited, I honestly don't think that's gonna happen. Maybe we won't get a new Capcom fighter but I don't find likely a spirit event for AA or DMC, at best some Mii Costumes. That said, I'd gladly take some spirits or Mii Costumes of both franchises if neither Dante and Phoenix are DLC.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I get the feeling they're not going to bother with DmC. If I recall correctly, there was something in the phrasing of the PR videos for DMC3 that implied they only had one more game in the pipeline, which would obviously be DMC4, given the rest of the games have been the numbered titles.

Of course, I'm sure that's subject to change, but I can't imagine there's a lot of fan demand for DmC to effect that change. So I reckon whatever's going on with DMC and the Switch will be through by fall of this year.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I could picture AA getting a spirits event, I feel iffier on DMC getting in the game in some other form that's not a fighter, but that's just me.
On a different note, I saw someone show a picture of Sakurai Switch profile showing he recently played Minecraft (no idea if it's real or not), but you can already see people jumping to conclusions about FP2 lol.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I could picture AA getting a spirits event, I feel iffier on DMC getting in the game in some other form that's not a fighter, but that's just me.
On a different note, I saw someone show a picture of Sakurai Switch profile showing he recently played Minecraft (no idea if it's real or not), but you can already see people jumping to conclusions about FP2 lol.
I could seesurprise DMC Mii costume for one of the reveals during FP2 especially since we got Ubisoft costumes out of nowhere. It would suck but I think it's a possibility.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I could seesurprise DMC Mii costume for one of the reveals during FP2 especially since we got Ubisoft costumes out of nowhere. It would suck but I think it's a possibility.
I didn't think that it would happen to Resident Evil but it did, so I could totally see DMC getting a Spirit Event out of the blue.

Obviously I really don't want that to happen to Ace Attorney though since I want Phoenix the most as a playable character.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I feel like Sakurai/Nintendo have done a great job of making me feel like almost any sufficiently-known character could appear in almost any capacity, personally. As long as the game or series has a decent number of recognizable characters, it's fair game for a Spirit Board; as long as someone exists who wants a character in the game, they could get a Mii Costume.

Being playable however, seems to require the stars and the planets aligning just right.

Or Nintendo telling you there needs to be another Fire Emblem character.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Judging from the past two events, I think it's safe to say we would be getting 4 spirits each event.

If I couldn't get Phoenix being a fighter, I think I'd rather see a spirit instead of a Mii costume.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe it's asking for too much but I think spirits and a Mii Costume with one song would be a nice "compensation" if he isn't playable.

Krankees

Smash Ace
How about both?

Only if he's not a fighter.
Both would be cool, but I would have to go with spirits if I had to pick one since we would get more characters represented. Although I'm having trouble figuring out who would be the 4th spirit if they only did 4.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
A Mii Costume or Spirit Event would force me to count Phoenix out entirely, so if that's really what his fate has to be, I'd rather it be in or sometime very close to the release of the final DLC character. Speculation would lose a lot of fun for me if they Consolation Prize'd the only character I'm really supporting with the release of the next character.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I suppose my line of logic is that AA, just like RE, has had quite a bit of history with Nintendo, so if he isn't playable they might want to at least give him some love through other means. Meanwhile Dantes history with Nintendo started with a very niche crossover RPG and very recently his older games being ported to Switch, so if they don't plan to add him they might entirely skip on any DMC representation. But it's a logic with lots of holes that could very easily be proven wrong (are there even any Virtua Fighter games on Nintendo systems?).
Both would be cool, but I would have to go with spirits if I had to pick one since we would get more characters represented. Although I'm having trouble figuring out who would be the 4th spirit if they only did 4.
Phoenix, Maya, Edgeworth, Mia? Apollo? Gumshoe?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We're basically out of FE options now that TH is the latest title. There aren't any entries currently planned unless you think they'll remake Blazing Blade, or something.

(are there even any Virtua Fighter games on Nintendo systems?).
Virtua Quest on the Gamecube. You could train with the VF fighters in that, iirc.

Although this is a moot point since Akira's in AT mode for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
You underestimate Sakurai's power.

View attachment 258839
we're eventually gonna get Navarre to get his favorite in somehow.
We're basically out of FE options now that TH is the latest title. There aren't any entries currently planned unless you think they'll remake Blazing Blade, or something.
I think the SoV director said he wanted to remake Binding Blade or something and there's been rumors floating around for a Genealogy remake, but I woulnd't count on seeing those this year and I'd hope they'd get a better engine to make them than the horrible Warriors one.

Top Bottom