• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
I've been a Fire Emblem fan since 2011... and this... is still embarrassing.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
oddly enough, Damons Gant theme was playing on my phone before all this went down, sorta feels fitting giving how this turned out.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Ok, putting asides the controversial choice, don't the stage assets look kinda ugly? I guess it's sorta faithful to 3H generally less than spectacular graphics, but darn, this looks rushed.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Hey, at least the Mii Costumes are sick.
I have to wonder, though... what does the fact that we got the remaining Capcom costumes already mean for future DLC? Does this hurt Capcom's chances?

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
6 more chances to get Nick tho. But now we are directly competing with Dante. Or even Monster Hunter.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Hey, at least the Mii Costumes are sick.
I have to wonder, though... what does the fact that we got the remaining Capcom costumes already mean for future DLC? Does this hurt Capcom's chances?
hard to tell either way, I feel Sakurai keeps breaking patterns by closing the DLC with arguably one of the more predictable and underwhelming choices possible from the 1st party lineup. All I know is that kirbs is probably having a feast that they were among the few that felt there was nothing saying this would be a full blown 3rd party fiesta.
As a sidenote, between SK AT and the Sans and Cuphead mii costumes, I'm pretty much convinced indies are out of the running for getting in the game as playable and being mii costumed is the best they can aim for right now.

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
6 more chances to get Nick tho. But now we are directly competing with Dante. Or even Monster Hunter.
problem with those six chances is it means another year of putting up with Tin-Foil Hat Wearing weirdo's who claim they have insider info on who the next DLC Character is

all while Sakurai And Company Just go Radio Silent on the matter until A Presentation randomly pops up one day

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Well, I can say I wasn't expecting that, for sure. Neutral on Byleth, they aren't a Marth clone so I'm content, but nothing spectacular. Sakurai at least makes the whole presentation fun to watch with his charm.

I thought the stage looked just fine, I don't know what you guys are talking about. Fun for some casual matches, but even then I hope people don't stall on those chandeliers if they're as high up and hard to reach as the presentation makes them out to be.

The whammies for me were the Mii Costumes, for being interesting third parties (Cuphead even got the Sans treatment, gonna pick that up for the music track too) and bringing back two Capcom costumes from Smash 4. Does that hurt Wright's chances? I mean... the Mii Costume theory has some basis, but isn't entirely infallible, so I'll leave that up to you to decide.

And not only has it finally been confirmed the next DLC is in the form of a pack (remember, we didn't have any solid confirmation this would be the case before today), but we're getting six characters. We're in a Groundhogs Day loop, the hype cycle's starting all over again, for better or for worse. I can only hope that Sakurai doesn't rush himself to get these characters out in the same amount of time as five.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I don't know about Monster Hunter but Dante definitely is a big one. Can't forget about Amaterasu either. Biggest strong point for Phoenix is probably the Nintendo history.
The whammies for me were the Mii Costumes, for being interesting third parties (Cuphead even got the Sans treatment, gonna pick that up for the music track too) and bringing back two Capcom costumes from Smash 4. Does that hurt Wright's chances? I mean... the Mii Costume theory has some basis, but isn't entirely infallible, so I'll leave that up to you to decide.
Zero and Protoman Mii costumes come back as well right? I don't know what Mii costume theory is though.

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
I was honestly feeling Wright's best shot was during the FP. Dante is a big competition and the only reason he wasn't seen as likely during vol 1 was because of that "DMC has no games on Nintendo" statement. Which by now I don't think matters anymore. Who knows, it all depends on when the vol 2 characters were picked.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I was honestly feeling Wright's best shot was during the FP. Dante is a big competition and the only reason he wasn't seen as likely during vol 1 was because of that "DMC has no games on Nintendo" statement. Which by now I don't think matters anymore. Who knows, it all depends on when the vol 2 characters were picked.
Speaking of Dante, wasn't there that tweet or something about news about DMC3 on Switch coming today? Has anything come of that yet? I'm out of the loop with DMC.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Speaking of Dante, wasn't there that tweet or something about news about DMC3 on Switch coming today? Has anything come of that yet? I'm out of the loop with DMC.
Just like most people expected outside of Twitter. Just one giant coincidence.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
As far as Dante vs Phoenix goes, the most he has going in his favor is closer ties to Nintendo, which you could argue if they even matter after the likes of Cloud and Joker got in before a classic FF rep or a SMT character. I'm not holding my breath for either right not as we know nothing about FP2 other than it exists and it has 1 extra character, it could be all 1st parties for all we know, and that'd be a sure way to make me lose all interest in it.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Y'all, the best thing out of this presentation was no Phoenix mii costume. I panicked as soon as I saw the Megaman costumes appear.

BFMS234

Smash Rookie
Hey guys remember when we thought that the fighters pass was going to be third party only lol.

So I guess that explains why we didn’t get a Three Houses spirit event. Yeah, I’m not really excited about Byleth and I kind of don’t like them as a character in their game, even though Three Houses was my personal game of the year of 2019.

At least some of my favorite Three Houses music is coming to Smash, but I would have preferred Gronder Field as the stage.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Sakurai did say that he wanted to give characters new ways to play so I guess all of dlc might get a gimmick. Phoenix might have that over Dante unless they can figure out a way to implement Dante's wide variety of moves.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I've got 2 questions I want to ask and anyone is free to answer
-Do you think Sakurai and co purposely put Byleth at the end knowing he'd very likely be considered the most underwhelming choice of the pack to build up for what comes next, sort of like some have rumored with PP?
-Phoenix or otherwise, did your hope for them happening change after todays event?
Sakurai did say that he wanted to give characters new ways to play so I guess all of dlc might get a gimmick. Phoenix might have that over Dante unless they can figure out a way to implement Dante's wide variety of moves.
shadowlink did a pretty good video on how original Dante could be, I'd recommend checking it out if you care at all on how he could stand out from the rest of the swordfighters
I made a video if you wanna look at that.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I really think they should've ended with Banjo. At least that would've been a hype way to end the pass, even if I'm not particularly fond of the character.

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
-Do you think Sakurai and co purposely put Byleth at the end knowing he'd very likely be considered the most underwhelming choice of the pack to build up for what comes next, sort of like some have rumored with PP?
-Phoenix or otherwise, did your hope for them happening change after todays event?
- It's possible. Smash Bros does seem to have this weird philosophy of leaving the "worst" for last. They just never seem to end on a high note.
-Phoenix's chances, ngl, I think suffered from this. If only a bit. First off, the only advantage he had over top competitor Dante (the statement about no DMC on Nintendo) probably is now null, since vol 2 fighters were probable chosen after the DMC ports started, so he's now a bigger hurdle. Second, the remaining Capcom Mii Costumes are now back, which slightly hurts Capcom's chances.... just slightly. On the bright side, we'll get 6 more characters, which is way more than I was expecting, so that's more chances for everyone. Wright would be pretty much guaranteed if we could somehow get two Capcom characters in vol 2, but... i really don't see that happening. I still think between Dante and Wright it's strictly one or the other. If Capcom were to get two characters, I feel like they would have been each on different vols of the FP.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
- Hard to say. iirc Sakurai's a bit of a Fire Emblem fan, probably owing to why Corrin got in Smash 4's DLC cycle along with promotion purposes. I don't know how confidently I can say that Sakurai put Byleth at the tail end just so they could line up with a piece of DLC for Three Houses, so perhaps this is the reason? Or maybe working out deals with third parties put finishing the other four as a priority over Byleth, of course before DLC after the Fighter's Pass was planned.
- I might be overly optimistic, but I don't think this hurt Wright's chances, significantly anyways. The remaining Capcom Miis dropping with Byleth was odd, but again, Mii Costume theory/correlation isn't infallible. Banjo got a grab-bag of Mii costumes, none related to Rare or even DKC, and Byleth got all third party costumes, so it's not impossible for Wright to come and not have any Capcom costumes. As for the pass, we don't know how the DLC development cycle goes, but apparently everyone for the second pass is locked in, and possibly during the development of the first, Sakurai overheard the talk of Wright? That's perhaps a stretch, though, since that kinda revved up after Terry, but he's also appeared plenty in fan polls even as far back as the Fighter's Ballot, so who knows?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I really think they should've ended with Banjo. At least that would've been a hype way to end the pass, even if I'm not particularly fond of the character.
the thing about Banjo is, fan or not, he seemed like one of those pipedream characters for so long thanks to MS aquisition of Rare, seeing them back on Nintendo just felt right given how significant that dev was during the 90s for them and sort of like an impossible thing coming true.
I still think between Dante and Wright it's strictly one or the other
I'm sorta starting to feel this way too, and given the planned end date for this DLC pack is I think December 2021? I doubt we'll be getting anymore Smash content after it. As a supporter for both I'd be happy with either result, but things are just sorta looking grim for my wishlist in general right now. I certainly lost whatever little hope I had for Crono and Sol after this announcement, so Capcom is pretty much my last standing pillar.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Hey, we're still alive! Gotta think it's us vs. Dante at this point, and I'd be stunned if Capcom didn't get even 1 out of 12 non base roster spots. Let's hope guys

Handy Man

Smash Ace
If Ace Attorney 7 is currently in development right now, then Phoenix Wright would make a great fighter pass two character choice. Phoenix is still the only character I would main if they were added, so knowing that the only time a lawyer can cry is when it's over, I will keep pressing on and hope that Phoenix makes it into Smash someday. He just feels like he fits Smash so well in my opinion, plus he would be very unique and introduce people to a great game series in Ace Attorney. Please make it happen Sakurai!

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Hey, we're still alive! Gotta think it's us vs. Dante at this point, and I'd be stunned if Capcom didn't get even 1 out of 12 non base roster spots. Let's hope guys
Now we gotta wait till AA7 to get any hope of Phoenix in smash.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
At this pont I just want Sakurai to take a break, if Nick comes home, cool, if he doesn't, welp.
We're about to enter the dark age of speculation, and Im honestly scared.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I think we have a chance against Dante. Resident Evil used to be a pretty big Capcom contender and while they didn't have the strongest Nintendo history, they were the oldest after Mega Man and Street Fighter. Yet now they've been reduced to spirits sadly. I also think Phoenix fits the whole aesthetic of smash more but that's just me. But we might have to look out for Amaterasu as well.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
This makes me call into question what's the deal with the capcom representation added to ultimate right now. It seems to be all over the place. An echo, a stage boss, bunch of Mii costumes, and a Resident Evil spirit event.

Seems like the only two major Capcom franchises that aren't represented yet are Devil May Cry and Ace Attorney.

It makes me believe it's one or the other and they will bring the other ones along as mii costumes or spirits.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Man. This was a heck of an experience to wake up to, I tell you what. On the plus side, I told myself I wouldn't be angry or disappointed unless it was something that directly undercut Phoenix's chances, and as it was not, I'm feeling pretty chill right about now.

If anything, this just reinforces that Nintendo gives a damn about ties to them, and we know one Capcom rep has a big leg up in that department.

Top Bottom